• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Benching isn't the metric by which you should judge someone's strength, especially just a +300 bench. Nor what you should eat.

That said, I eat like shit on workout days and I do ok.

i don't eat anything like that, it was just more of an oddity i just felt was interesting along the lines of the one dude mentioning eating one pizza on his carb up. i never suggested that a bench is the only way to judge someone's strength or to eat like that i just thought it was interesting and mentioning a number paints a better picture than saying 'some big dude'.

just saying some people's metabolisms are crazy, that's all.

good luck going from 135 to 200 in 2ish months man. seriously if you can pull that off, good fucking job. it's not impossible at all, just saying you deserve a pizza of your own if you improve that fast without any stalling. have you trained before? if you have surely you can rocket back up. but if you're new good luck, just keep up the regiment no matter how it turns out.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
i don't eat anything like that, it was just more of an oddity i just felt was interesting along the lines of the one dude mentioning eating one pizza on his carb up. i never suggested that a bench is the only way to judge someone's strength or to eat like that i just thought it was interesting and mentioning a number paints a better picture than saying 'some big dude'.

just saying some people's metabolisms are crazy, that's all.

good luck going from 135 to 200 in 2ish months man. seriously if you can pull that off, good fucking job. it's not impossible at all, just saying you deserve a pizza of your own if you improve that fast without any stalling

Fuck that, eat pizza whenever the fuck you want, shit, throw some beefaroni on it and call it a day.

Irobot82

good luck going from 135 to 200 in 2ish months man. seriously if you can pull that off, good fucking job. it's not impossible at all, just saying you deserve a pizza of your own if you improve that fast without any stalling. have you trained before? if you have surely you can rocket back up. but if you're new good luck, just keep up the regiment no matter how it turns out.

Yeah I don't really believe I'll get there in two months. It's just wishful thinking. My arms are twigs always have been. I'll keep progressing doing SS till I can't gain. I expect to be on it for a few months.

Decided on chipotle and went all in for triple chicken. Every damn employee in line commented on it. Apparently I'm the first person to ever do this. Wtf! It's not THAT much chicken. I had 4 breasts (lol) for lunch

that is ridiculous, moreso because you paid over $12 for fast food if you got their guacamole. and if you didn't get their guacamole, i don't think you understand how to eat at chipotle.

that is ridiculous, moreso because you paid over $12 for fast food if you got their guacamole. and if you didn't get their guacamole, i don't think you understand how to eat at chipotle.

There is no circumstance under which guacamole is a good idea regardless of venue or entree.

This is fitness related because taste bud deformities seem to be warping peoples' food preferences.

SeanR1221

10.00 but it was pretty damn tasty.

I would have spent 9.00 on a baconator and fries at Wendy's. 10.00 ain't bad.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
man, my quest bars finally came in. the other brands must be really bad for u guys to think these are amazing o _O
Pretty much yeah.

That plant-root-sugar has a bit of a quirky taste, but at least it's not sugar alcohol or weird chocolate crap.

J. Bravo

50 squats todays, 5 x 10 at 40lbs. Need to get that weight higher. Legs are screaming in pain. Feels good.

considering you're a weightlifting newb, why not take a look at starting strength? I mean as long as you're doing something, I'm happy, but that much volume isn't recommended for beginners. Seriously, there is a reason why everyone in here suggests Starting Strength. It works.

Although I will agree with you that day 1 DOMS feels pretty good. Just wait until tomorrow and the next day when any movement makes you want to stop moving.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Hmmm, I might just do that.

Is there an app that'll allow me to log my 5/3/1 progress? Seems like a rather involved workout program (calculations wise).

I posted about this very topic a few pages back

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=79835805&postcount=2072
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=79864045&postcount=2088

Let me know if you find something that fits your needs, or have any ideas/requests/suggestions for what you'd want in an app.

There is no circumstance under which guacamole is a good idea regardless of venue or entree.

This is fitness related because taste bud deformities seem to be warping peoples' food preferences.

wat

Guac is amazing.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Well about to head to the gym and see if I can finally break through and do 215 lb squats for 2x5 and 1xAMRAP. 205 lb squats took alot out of me on Monday as it is so this should once again be interesting to see if I can pull it off.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Argh. My workout didn't go 100% well today. My legs didn't seem to fully heal from the last workout, and as a result, although I tried to increase my squat weight (120 lbs.), my form was a long ways off.

So how do I go from here? Do I try and continue increasing the weight next time around anyway, or do I keep doing it at 120 lbs. until I can do it perfectly?

Noema

Argh. My workout didn't go 100% well today. My legs didn't seem to fully heal from the last workout, and as a result, although I tried to increase my squat weight (120 lbs.), my form was a long ways off.

So how do I go from here? Do I try and continue increasing the weight next time around anyway, or do I keep doing it at 120 lbs. until I can do it perfectly?

Did you manage to get all 3 sets of 5? Were your squats below parallel?

Then you should continue. You'll form will get better. Keep adding weight to the bar. Perfect is the enemy of good. Your squats needn't be perfect.

I suggest you shoot a video of your squats so we can see your form.

mooooose

Noema, you helped me a lot with my low bar squat form a few months ago. I took a few months off due to life and I'm trying to get back at it. Someone who had very good low bar grip/form tried to help me and we just couldn't get it. If I gripped close and kept my elbows up, the bar had a good platform to rest on because my back was so tight, but my wrists were pressed up against it, almost at a 90 degree angle. Alternatively if I moved my grip out, my back became too loose. I'm getting really frustrated and just want to do high bar squats and work on my form there, which is still bad, and move on.

I feel the issue may be in flexibility. I've been trying shoulder dislocation stretches and pec stretches but it hasn't helped much, granted it's only been a few days and sparingly.

Do you have any advice?

Oblivion

Did you manage to get all 3 sets of 5? Were your squats below parallel?

Then you should continue. You'll form will get better. Keep adding weight to the bar. Perfect is the enemy of good. Your squats needn't be perfect.

I suggest you shoot a video of your squats so we can see your form.

No, I'd say my squats were between 25% and 50% off from perfect. I did attempt 3 sets of 5 though.

Noema

Noema, you helped me a lot with my low bar squat form a few months ago. I took a few months off due to life and I'm trying to get back at it. Someone who had very good low bar grip/form tried to help me and we just couldn't get it. If I gripped close and kept my elbows up, the bar had a good platform to rest on because my back was so tight, but my wrists were pressed up against it, almost at a 90 degree angle. Alternatively if I moved my grip out, my back became too loose. I'm getting really frustrated and just want to do high bar squats and work on my form there, which is still bad, and move on.

Do you have any advice?

If you have very long forearms (for example if your forearm is longer than your humerus) your wrists are gonna be pressed against the bar no matter what unless you use a super wide grip, like you mentioned. It's not a matter of flexibility; it's just anthropometry.

Honestly if the bar is well supported by your rear delts and your elbows are high enough that the bar is not really being supported by your hands, it's not such a big deal. I have really long forearms and I will never ever have a textbook low bar position with hands on top of the bar. Give it a shot with the closer grip; if you feel pain then widen your grip accordingly until you find a sweet spot that allows you to keep your back tight but doesn't put so much stress on the forearms.

No, I'd say my squats were between 25% and 50% off from perfect. I did attempt 3 sets of 5 though.

What do you mean 25% / 50% off from perfect?

Has anyone experienced any, *ahem*, "anal" issues from working out? I don't think heavy squats have been kind to my rectal region, if you know what I mean.

Noema

Has anyone experienced any, *ahem*, "anal" issues from working out? I don't think heavy squats have been kind to my rectal region, if you know what I mean.

No, but whatever you do, don't google "Andy Bolton brother squats intestines".

What has been seen cannot be unseen.

_Isaac

You seem to have edited your message. I believe you said you attempted 3 sets of 5, but couldn't do it. If you didn't complete your sets, then you can't increase. You have to repeat that weight on the next one. Just make sure you complete your 3 sets of 5 and keep your form. I don't know how much you're lifting, but don't forget to get some rest between your sets. It's not about speeding through the sets. It's about getting it done.

As for your form, I'd suggest shooting a video like Noema said. Just so you know how off your form may or may not be.

Noema

Meaning I was only able to bend my legs at 45 degrees at most.

Then those definitely don't count.

Your femurs must be at least parallel to the floor at the bottom of your squat.

Why weren't you going deeper? Do you have flexibility issues or you just didn't feel confident going deep with that weight?

I suggest you start from step one. Deload your squat. Practice with just the bar.

Watch this video closely:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Phvtd9eV6Ks

Nelo Ice

Banned
So did OHP at 85 lbs for 3x5 first time I couldn't go past 5 for my AMRAP set. Do I still increase the weight for next time due to that?.

_Isaac

Why weren't you going deeper?

I suggest you start from step one. Deload your squat. Practice with just the bar.

Wow. A Rippetoe squat video I haven't seen. 744 views. It seems like most of the youtube videos you link have a very low number of views for some reason. How do you find these?

Noema

Wow. A Rippetoe squat video I haven't seen. 744 views. It seems like most of the youtube videos you link have a very low number of views for some reason. How do you find these?

Someone linked it in OT5. It's from the official Starting Strength DVD. There's a video for each of the lifts.

EDIT: DERP they are actually all linked in the OP.

Exercise descriptions

Required watching:
These are the staple lifts you'll find in almost all programs, so do watch the following 10-30 minute in-depth exercise descriptions before you get started:

Squat
Deadlift
Bench Press
Press
Power Clean
Rack Pull
RDL
Front Squat
Leg Press
Lying Tricep Extension
Barbell Shrug

No one reads the OP :(

The videos are unlisted, so you can't search them (which is probably why they haven't been removed), You can only watch them if you have the link (which explains the low view count), so enjoy them while they last ;)

Oblivion

Why weren't you going deeper? Do you have flexibility issues or you just didn't feel confident going deep with that weight?

I didn't do them all the way cause my legs were still sore from the other day and it seemed like I couldn't handle it.

_Isaac

Someone linked it in OT5. It's from the official Starting Strength DVD. There's a video for each of the lifts.

EDIT: DERP they are actually all linked in the OP.

No one reads the OP :(

Ouch. We've been caught. D:

Anyway. These are great. Can't wait to watch them!

Yes, I can. I'm going to watch Drag Race first. :p

You guys :|

Yeah, there's really a ton of useful stuff in the OP that I discovered as I rewrote the past one and added stuff to it. Do give it a close read, even if you're a veteran :p

Nelo Ice

Banned
You guys :|

Yeah, there's really a ton of useful stuff in the OP that I discovered as I rewrote the past one and added stuff to it. Do give it a close read, even if you're a veteran :p
I read through the OP!. I've read it multiple times and when it's updated. Hell when I'm bored I look through it, lots of useful and important info in there.

abuC

Maybe it's cause I'm listening to "No games" by rozay and Future Vandross, but I want to be able to rep 405x5 on bench within 6 months.

Nelo Ice

Banned
You are capable of more than you think. You have to push yourself a bit.
This literally just happened with me. Warmed up with 2x5 bar, 1x3 135 lbs, then 1x2 for 185 lb squats. Thought o man 215 is still gonna feel like the worlds on my back. Unracked and it surprisingly felt kinda light. Powered through my first set of 1x5 and felt like I could do more. And if I finish off the rest of my sets, 2 plates are my next milestone on Monday fuuuuckkk.

Edit: just did my 2nd set for a full 1x5 and my gym bro gave my props for it and my form. Feelsgoodman.jpg. And failed :(, deload on Monday and I'll try again next Friday. 1x4 sooo close!, completely ran out of gas by the last rep. 2 plates will have to wait... for now.

Oblivion

You are capable of more than you think. You have to push yourself a bit.

You're totally right and I've experienced that just the other day! But I also was also not sore either. I have no doubt I could have done better.

On the plus side I benched 80 lbs no problem. :D

I'm going protein powder shopping at Costco tomorrow, so I was wondering if there are any trusted brands I should look out for. And should I keep an eye out for certain good/bad ingredients?

So my family has been going through some rough shit ever since June. It's taken a huge toll on me and I went from eating 3000-4000 kcal per day to barely eating anything at all. I was flat out miserable and devoid of any energy until mid July when things took a turn for the better. I started to eat like a normal person again but still, I stand at a net weight loss of 10 kgs.

Thursday was the first time back in the gym after a 3 month hiatus. Did some pullups, pullovers, rows and curls... overall just a fun little workout to get back in the groove. Now I'm sitting here suffering the DOMS of a lifetime. My lats are on fire and I can't fully extend my arms nor reach for anything above head-level. Sleep has been very, very limited these past two nights, too. Here's to hoping I can get some squatting done on Monday.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Dunno why I changed up my squat form last night. Back is so fucking sore today. I tried super wide-grip, basically resting my wrists on the barbell as close to the weights as possible. Did several sets of them like this but immediately noticed what felt like my upper body compressing underneath me. Toughed it out, but damn I hope I recover soon enough. Definitely going back to my previous squat form.

blackflag

Decided on chipotle and went all in for triple chicken. Every damn employee in line commented on it. Apparently I'm the first person to ever do this. Wtf! It's not THAT much chicken. I had 4 breasts (lol) for lunch

This used to happen to me every time. Once the guy was like you realize that's like an extra 5 dollars right but he wasn't nice about it. Another time some fat girl told me too much protein is bad for my kidneys..

I'm still pretty much out of order. I have a ct scan next week and physical therapy. I did do chest and shoulders last week but I want to do back and legs. I may try something later today.

blackflag

I'm going protein powder shopping at Costco tomorrow, so I was wondering if there are any trusted brands I should look out for. And should I keep an eye out for certain good/bad ingredients?

Stay away from cryptosport . They've been sued for arsenic levels and either lost or settled because I got money from them for buying it at Costco.

They have optimum nutrition whey isolate there now. IMO it tastes shitty and I'd never buy ON but it is quality at least. Honestly if you can you are much better off ordering online.

SeanR1221

This used to happen to me every time. Once the guy was like you realize that's like an extra 5 dollars right but he wasn't nice about it. Another time some fat girl told me too much protein is bad for my kidneys..

I'm still pretty much out of order. I have a ct scan next week and physical therapy. I did do chest and shoulders last week but I want to do back and legs. I may try something later today.

Stay away from cryptosport . They've been sued for arsenic levels and either lost or settled because I got money from them for buying it at Costco.

They have optimum nutrition whey isolate there now. IMO it tastes shitty and I'd never buy ON but it is quality at least. Honestly if you can you are much better off ordering online.

Glad to have you back!! Keep us updated on your progress, hopefully it's not too serious :(

And I agree about the Costco ON. It's...grittier? Weird after taste. It's fine blended though.

blackflag

I was referring to all ON. I got some chocolate mint once in an emergency and it wasn't terrible but I enjoy my shakes and want them to taste good since its basically the closest thing to desert when cutting.

Muscle Pharm combat powder is pretty amazing and decently priced on bodybuilding.com.

I've tried cookies and cream and orange creamsicle

Cudder

I was referring to all ON. I got some chocolate mint once in an emergency and it wasn't terrible but I enjoy my shakes and want them to taste good since its basically the closest thing to desert when cutting.

Muscle Pharm combat powder is pretty amazing and decently priced on bodybuilding.com.

I've tried cookies and cream and orange creamsicle

wat

I'm using ON's choc mint right now and it's Godly.

agrajag

Banned
I've been buying budget protein powder at the grocery store. It's horrible and only lasts me a.couple of weeks, but it's 45g per scoop and only $11.. I'm sure it's nutritionally horrible too.

chocolate mint sounds really good but...i throw spinach and oats into most all of my shakes, so i'm scared to stray from choco/choco PB because of spinach mixing weird with mint, idk. i'd like to try it but i need dem greenz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom