• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Haha theyre of course secondary to the mighty squats and glute ham raises. I usually use them at the end of leg day for high volume burnout

I should probably throw some leg press in every once and a while. I just like snatch grip Romanian deads and good mornings too much.

Well there's also the whole I'm not squatting conventionally right now. I'm focusing on front squats as a main movement.

rando14

I should probably throw some leg press in every once and a while. I just like snatch grip Romanian deads and good mornings too much.

Well there's also the whole I'm not squatting conventionally right now. I'm focusing on front squats as a main movement.

Ah yes I did front squats as my exclusive squats for about 6 months, had very solid quad gains.

I've been putting more emphasis on my hams for the past several months, I feel like they have been somewhat neglected compared to my quads (my mind muscle connection on legs has always been focused on quads, not really my hams) so I went back to back squats, along with more ham exercises

I'm kinda curious about trying jefferson squats in the future, but they look kinda funny haha

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
My Rogue Do-Wins are on the verge of dying: the upper right ring thingie is about to give up the ghost.

They lasted me about 4 years. Are there any recommendations on lifting shoes that will last me a bit more? The Do-Wins are nice, don't get me wrong, but I want something to last more.

My leather do-wins still look brand new, got them in 2009.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Ah yes I did front squats as my exclusive squats for about 6 months, had very solid quad gains.

I've been putting more emphasis on my hams for the past several months, I feel like they have been somewhat neglected compared to my quads (my mind muscle connection on legs has always been focused on quads, not really my hams) so I went back to back squats, along with more ham exercises

I'm kinda curious about trying jefferson squats in the future, but they look kinda funny haha

See I'm the opposite. My quads are weak as hell, but I think my hams are pretty tough. At least relative to my quads.

My leather do-wins still look brand new, got them in 2009.

That's because they are terrified to look anything but brand new.

Leg curl not even once.

This is a good time to ask then:

In 12 hours I will be wrapping up squats and moving on to hamstrings. 5 sets of 10 of something.

Everyone tell me the best hamstring exercise and link me to a video that shows me how to do it properly (no postage-stamp gifs from ExRx). I have a well-equipped gym, but not SO well-equipped that it has a GHR station. I am jacked-up on power pellets and injury free right now so nothing's off-limits.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
This is a good time to ask then:

In 12 hours I will be wrapping up squats and moving on to hamstrings. 5 sets of 10 of something.

Everyone tell me the best hamstring exercise and link me to a video that shows me how to do it properly (no postage-stamp gifs from ExRx). I have a well-equipped gym, but not SO well-equipped that it has a GHR station. I am jacked-up on power pellets and injury free right now so nothing's off-limits.

Uh, wat?

Dude, just deadlift and do accessory movements.

P.S Lay off of the "power pellets" and dial it back a notch before "injury free" becomes a thing of the past.

Uh, wat?

Dude, just deadlift and do accessory movements.

P.S Lay off of the "power pellets" and dial it back a notch before "injury free" becomes a thing of the past.

I'm not deadlifting on my squat day? I'm doing 5/3/1 BBB and the program has you doing leg curls as an accessory exercise on squat day, I'm just soliciting suggestions for alternatives.

I also don't have any actual power pellets. They're just protein brownies.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I'm not deadlifting on my squat day? I'm doing 5/3/1 BBB and the program has you doing leg curls as an accessory exercise on squat day, I'm just soliciting suggestions for alternatives.

I also don't have any actual power pellets. They're just protein brownies.

Then leg curl.

You should do the routine as prescribed for a while and see how it works. THEN experiment down the road to see if you gain or lose. Only then will you figure out what does what for you.

iddqd

FITNESS GAF!

I had my first personal training session!

After a couple of months of Starting Strength I thought it might make sense to actually do a form check with a real coach (powerlifter and owner of the gym).

I ended up with a weird new program to "help me" with my inbalances.
Some of these exercises seem a bit.. physio therapy and I never really had any issues there..
Am I too critical? He is a Poliquin follower and the program I now have is as follows:

day1

- abducted bent over row (tempo ala german volume training 40x2 = 4 down, hold, explode, hold up 2seconds)
- bench press (40x2)
- rotator off knee
- powell side lateral

day2
- good morning (42x0)
- squat (42x0)
- lying leg curl
- reverse hyper

day3

- pull up (42x0)
- standing shoulder press
- rotator off knee
- powell side lateral

Is this an ok routine to do for a month or two and then return to SS?
I just wanted a technique coaching and got this instead. I guess I was weak everywhere?

I'm confused!

Then leg curl.

You should do the routine as prescribed for a while and see how it works. THEN experiment down the road to see if you gain or lose. Only then will you figure out what does what for you.

OK, my fault for not sitting down and actually constructing a post instead of just shooting off quick replies. That is pretty much the situation I'm in. I've done the leg curls (seated, they're all I've got) for a few months as part of the program and do not feel that they are the best thing I could be doing for hamstrings. Combined with all the talk of targeting the hammies on the previous page, I figured I'd see what FitGAF likes to do for them as far as assistance movements go.

J. Bravo

OK, my fault for noflyteting down and actually constructing a post instead of just shooting off quick replies. That is pretty much the situation I'm in. I've done the leg curls (seated, they're all I've got) for a few months as part of the program and do not feel that they are the best thing I could be doing for hamstrings. Combined with all the talk of targeting the hammies on the previous page, I figured I'd see what FitGAF likes to do for them as far as assistance movements go.
That's what I'm saying. I hate leg curls. What are glute ham raises? I'm sure my gym has the requisite machine or whatever. I'm just a little bit to drunk to look them up

karasu

I'm just starting my quest to go from blob to beast. I don't have a gym membership since I just lost my job. Any advice on training with minimal equipment?

I-hate-u

Walmart protein, specifically, Bodyfortress as the main source of whey protein, good or bad? I heard that they put alot of fillers in Walmart supplements but you can't beat the value. I currently take ON Optimum whey. Any advice on whether or not I should switch to Bodyfortress?

Petrie

Banned
Walmart protein, specifically, Bodyfortress as the main source of whey protein, good or bad? I heard that they put alot of fillers in Walmart supplements but you can't beat the value. I currently take ON Optimum whey. Any advice on whether or not I should switch to Bodyfortress?

Can't beat the value? I post protein deals weekly that destroy the value of Walmart protein.

Quit buying that shit 2lbs at a time and you'll save a ton in the long run.

I-hate-u

Can't beat the value? I post protein deals weekly that destroy the value of Walmart protein.

Sorry if I didn't catch your posts but are your deals applicable to us folks in Canada? And which brands do you recommend?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Looks like my name is getting changed after all. So that should be happening soon.

And man, if you guys aren't doing snatch grip high pulls you're missing out. That shit nails the crap out of your yoke.

I usually just watch Slickdeals. Seems like someone on there finds 90% of all good deals pretty quickly.

I might have to switch over to soy protein because of the issues I'm having with whey.
Unless those fancy microlyzed hydryolized whey varieties are cheaper.

I-hate-u

I usually just watch Slickdeals. Seems like someone on there finds 90% of all good deals pretty quickly.

I use RedflagDeals but to be honest we get ripped off here in Ontario at least. There is a $30 difference in a tub of 5lb of Optimum Whey between US and Canada. Such BS.

The problem is that I need to take 6 scoops to fit my protein intake so I need a more efficient solution.

despire

Guys, I've been thinking about different ways for a lean bulk. One way would be to do a normal LG style bulk. An alternative would be to eat slightly over maintenance every day but I'm worried about getting fat again. Then I thought about 6/1 style of bulking. With this I mean bulking through the week but then fasting for a day (on sunday for example). This would allow me to eat over maintenance six days a week and to sustain anabolism. Then during that one day of fasting I would burn off the fat I've accumulated during the week. Thus I could theoratically bulk for a long time without needing to cut. I would do this by fastinh from saturday night to sunday night and then eating a small meal of mainly protein on sunday night.

I'm thinking this could work very well. Definately better than spending 4 days of the week under TDEE with LG. One day of fasting shouldn't be that bad when I get to spend six whole days eating over maintenance.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Sorry if I didn't catch your posts but are your deals applicable to us folks in Canada? And which brands do you recommend?

I use RedflagDeals but to be honest we get ripped off here in Ontario at least. There is a $30 difference in a tub of 5lb of Optimum Whey between US and Canada. Such BS.

The problem is that I need to take 6 scoops to fit my protein intake so I need a more efficient solution.

I pay around $130-140 for 10lbs of ON GS in Manitoba, it really is a rip off. GNC and SVN have the same damn prices...

Looks like my name is getting changed after all. So that should be happening soon.

And man, if you guys aren't doing snatch grip high pulls you're missing out. That shit nails the crap out of your yoke.

Alienswoleguns

Visceir

Had another great workout, stalled at 165 lbs bench though. Feeling fairly confident I'll get it next time since I did manage to get 5 reps in the first set. Not long now until my working sets will be my bodyweight, always wanted to achieve that.

Noema

See I'm the opposite. My quads are weak as hell, but I think my hams are pretty tough. At least relative to my quads.

That's definitely my case as well. When I cross my leg my hamstrings look almost elephantine, hah.

It's probably one of the reasons my squat is so weak compared to my deadlift.

Also, do you do both RDLs and GMs Shogun? How do you program them?

I used to do RLDs which greatly aided my deadlift but I swapped them out for GMs which I believe are more suited to assisting the squat. But now my deadlift is starting to suffer and I'd like to bring RDLs back, except I have no idea where to put them :p

GManDH

if i work out everyday, lightly, how much fish can i eat without damaging muscle growth and not consuming a lot of mercury??

Cudder

if i work out everyday, lightly, how much fish can i eat without damaging muscle growth and not consuming a lot of mercury??

You're concerned about halting your muscle growth when you want to work out 'lightly' and are taking no days off for rest?

GManDH

You're concerned about halting your muscle growth when you want to work out 'lightly' and are taking no days off for rest?

my concern was more because of the fish. ive had one person say you shouldnt eat a lot of fish if you workout. then i had another person say, dont worry about amount worry bout if the fish has mercury or not. so i wanted to know which is more accurate, if any of the two are.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Guys, I've been thinking about different ways for a lean bulk. One way would be to do a normal LG style bulk. An alternative would be to eat slightly over maintenance every day but I'm worried about getting fat again. Then I thought about 6/1 style of bulking. With this I mean bulking through the week but then fasting for a day (on sunday for example). This would allow me to eat over maintenance six days a week and to sustain anabolism. Then during that one day of fasting I would burn off the fat I've accumulated during the week. Thus I could theoratically bulk for a long time without needing to cut. I would do this by fastinh from saturday night to sunday night and then eating a small meal of mainly protein on sunday night.

I'm thinking this could work very well. Definately better than spending 4 days of the week under TDEE with LG. One day of fasting shouldn't be that bad when I get to spend six whole days eating over maintenance.

You can't bulk without gaining fat. It doesn't work like that. What you can do is minimize your fat gain by eating at a conservative surplus. That's about 10% above your maintenance. Just hit your daily caloric goals every day whether you're working out or not; I really don't see the the purpose of fasting. It'll only slow you down. Determining your maintenance takes some time as it is different for everyone. All those calculators I've used have been pretty off-the-mark. Most say I shouldn't be eating more than 2800 calories/day to clean bulk, but I've recently had to up that number from 3000 to 3200 because even at 3000 I was seeing little progress. That's what my maintenance seems to be around.

despire

You can't bulk without gaining fat. It doesn't work like that. What you can do is minimize your fat gain by eating at a conservative surplus. That's about 10% above your maintenance. Just hit your daily caloric goals every day whether you're working out or not; I really don't see the the purpose of fasting. It'll only slow you down. Determining your maintenance takes some time as it is different for everyone. All those calculators I've used have been pretty off-the-mark. Most say I shouldn't be eating more than 2800 calories/day to clean bulk, but I've recently had to up that number from 3000 to 3200 because even at 3000 I was seeing little progress. That's what my maintenance seems to be around.

I know you can't bulk without gaining fat, that's why I'm thinking these things.

Minimizing the fat gain while allowing muscle gains is the goal here. That's why I'm considering bulking for 6 days and fasting for one day. If it allows me to make gains, while minimizing fat accumulation, I can theoretically bulk for a longer time without having to cut. And that's a good thing.

And if not total fasting, then minimal calories anyway on one day. Dunno, I have to play around with some numbers.

Regarding bulking/cutting/etc:

Imho it seems like the best thing to do is a steady leangain diet after you've hit a low bodyfat percentage so that you can benefit of improved nutrition partitioning, e.g. the calories and nutrients you eating going primarily into non-fat structures of your body. Do this at a surplus where you gain 2-2.5 lbs a month, of which you can be sure a vast majority is lean mass, and you can bulk for so much longer before you've gained enough fat to merit a cut.

I am personally doing this because I'm also having a terrible time actually cutting down to a 10% BF, so there's no way I'd be doing that after an extended bulk where I got so much more fat to get rid of. Then there are purely aestethic reasons, such as me not wanting to look fat :p

If a big bulk works for you, and you're confident in being able to cut down without too much of an effort, then by all means go for it.
I'm also a vegetarian, so I can't really engage in "cheat mode" cuts like keto as I can't eat meats.

Working out everyday will without doubt hinder muscle growth.
You need definitive rest days where your aren't being worked out, so that they can actually rest and recuperate for the next session.

Sure, don't eat above recommended guidelines when it comes to fish that is high in mercury, but it's really not something that you need to take into consideration when it comes to your gains.

SeanR1221

Ok guys, I was reading through the 5/3/1 accessory section again and I want everyone's opinion. I'm looking to simplify things. I feel like I've been spinning my wheels for a little now. Here's what I came up with

OHP 5/3/1
Standing DB press
Chin up
Barbell curl

Deadlift 3x5
Cable rows
Kroc rows
Shrugs

Bench 5/3/1
LTE
Incline DB press
Rope push down SS with Face pulls

Squats 3x5
Leg curls
Leg press
Leg extension

So a few things to note. I'm putting dips on hold. I think they're making my shoulder and elbow feel like shit. Also can't do good mornings and RDLs right now. The squats and deads are moving up 10 pounds a session. When I get to 50% of my old DL max I'll move back to a 1x5

Most exercises will be one warm up and 2 working sets.

I'll also be doing my PT rehab work during this.

I think it's simple yet effective, but please be critical if I should change something/everything.

Noema

So as I said before I can't do pullups what alternative do I have to replace that with in Starting Strength.

Can you do chinups? (palms facing you)

If so do those.

If not, you'll have to work to build up enough strength to be able to do chinups or pullups.

Here's a good protocol for developing chinup / pullup strength.

Ben Rice is such a beast. 1830 total @ 210 lbs.

That was pretty awesome. I was following his updates yesterday through Facebook. A 700lb squat at his bodyweight is really something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom