• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

sphinx

the piano man
Nope, never tried it before. 5 reps

My PR is 65

I've been stuck on that for awhile since I never had the courage to try for more

Considering you weight 80 kilos, and you have struggled to pass 65 kg, I'd suggest investigating about assitance exercises to improve strength.

Dips is the first thing that comes to mind here, maybe the chest press machine, or you could try some harder push-up variations. There's other, perhaps better, stuff. maybe other guys can suggest something else.

Noema

Considering you weight 80 kilos, and you have struggled to pass 65 kg, I'd suggest investigating about assitance exercises to improve strength.

Dips is the first thing that comes to mind here, maybe the chest press machine, or you could try some harder push-up variations. There's other, perhaps better, stuff. maybe other guys can suggest something else.

He doesn't need assistance exercises to bench 65kg; he needs to follow a program, learn to bench properly and eat.

I'm following a program. A modified Layne Norton routine

I'm eating more than enough. Bench properly? I admit I tried asking PT and people who train there, I was unable to learn the proper way. I guess because of my body limitations

Last time I benched 65 kg 5 reps 3 sets. Like I said I never tried to increase the weight since I don't have a spotter. But 70 kg wont hurt me if I fail, right?

Cudder

No, it won't hurt unless 70kg is unbelievably heavy for you and you drop it on your neck as soon as you unrack it. Otherwise, lower it to your chest and roll it off your body if you can't get it up.

Or ask for a spotter?

despire

I'm following a program. A modified Layne Norton routine

I'm eating more than enough. Bench properly? I admit I tried asking PT and people who train there, I was unable to learn the proper way. I guess because of my body limitations

Last time I benched 65 kg 5 reps 3 sets. Like I said I never tried to increase the weight since I don't have a spotter. But 70 kg wont hurt me if I fail, right?

You mean the PHAT routine found in the OP? That's an advanced routine for people with a really high work capasity. Waay above anything you should be doing.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Has anyone experienced any, *ahem*, "anal" issues from working out? I don't think heavy squats have been kind to my rectal region, if you know what I mean.

if you are genetically likely to get piles, yep lifting does make the situation worse. If it happens:

- one week off all exercise
- 1-2 weeks off lower body moves, or until your veins are back in where they belong

some general observation

- for the love of the place where sun doesn't shine, do NOT low carb / Atkins. Shit is hard.
- use fibre supplies and eat max whole grain foods
- leg curls are the absolute worst
- squats, DL and glute kickbacks are bad too
- bike is bad too
- absolutely no hnnngggggghh on the ring, and no reading

I am glad to have hopefully put my problems behind me for now and get back to squatting next week.

despire

What is stopping me from doing it? I've been doing it for a few weeks now and feel good

Well nothing I guess but it's not like you try to run a marathon if you haven't ever even tried running around the block.

Do what you want but don't come here crying if you burn out on that program.

You weigh 80kg and can't bench 70kg. That should give you a clue.

You mean I wont get stronger on this routine? Who cares if I can bench max 70 kg? Like I said, I know my form isn't the best because of my limitations. I might never bench 100kg in my life

Noema

You mean I wont get stronger on this routine? Who cares if I can bench max 70 kg? Like I said, I know my form isn't the best because of my limitations. I might never bench 100kg in my life

You seem to have everything figured out.

Good luck with your training.

Visceir

Salsa, you're supposed to increase weights by 2.5 kg for bench press. Go for 67.5 kg. If you can bench 65 kg 3x5 then you should be fine with 67.5 kg, even if you can't hit 3x5 you'll still be strong enough to get it up a few times.

Also, get a spotter. People in gym are usually really nice and helpful, I'm sure nobody would mind spotting and helping out.

Or set up the bench in the squat rack and set the safety bars high enough for you to not get stuck under the bar if you can't get it back up....then again 67.5 kg isn't all too heavy and you should be fine no matter what, once you roll it to your hips you can sit up and be fine.

if you are genetically likely to get piles, yep lifting does make the situation worse. If it happens:

- one week off all exercise
- 1-2 weeks off lower body moves, or until your veins are back in where they belong

some general observation

- for the love of the place where sun doesn't shine, do NOT low carb / Atkins. Shit is hard.
- use fibre supplies and eat max whole grain foods
- leg curls are the absolute worst
- squats, DL and glute kickbacks are bad too
- bike is bad too
- absolutely no hnnngggggghh on the ring, and no reading

I am glad to have hopefully put my problems behind me for now and get back to squatting next week.

Much obliged, friend. It's weird--I still can't tell what my problem is, exactly. I did squats yesterday and it didn't seem to make anything worse. I'm beginning to think that my low carb/high fat diet is the culprit (it's...messy).

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I pay around $130-140 for 10lbs of ON GS in Manitoba, it really is a rip off. GNC and SVN have the same damn prices...

Alienswoleguns

Lol.

Should be Brolic Gaoler when he gets around to it. I'm just glad he said he could do it for me.

That's definitely my case as well. When I cross my leg my hamstrings look almost elephantine, hah.

It's probably one of the reasons my squat is so weak compared to my deadlift.

Also, do you do both RDLs and GMs Shogun? How do you program them?

I used to do RLDs which greatly aided my deadlift but I swapped them out for GMs which I believe are more suited to assisting the squat. But now my deadlift is starting to suffer and I'd like to bring RDLs back, except I have no idea where to put them :p

Yeah. I do snatch grip romanians and good mornings after I squat. I should probably swap them out instead of doing them both though. I just like them a lot. Usually I will do GMs heavy and romanians light and for reps.

Ok guys, I was reading through the 5/3/1 accessory section again and I want everyone's opinion. I'm looking to simplify things. I feel like I've been spinning my wheels for a little now. Here's what I came up with

OHP 5/3/1
lateral raises
rear delt destroyer/paused face pulls
Ab work

Deadlift 3x5
Pendlay rows
Front squats
Shrugs
Chins/pullups

Bench 5/3/1(superset with facepulls)
CGBP (super set with face pulls)
Dips
Rope push down/rolling DB extension
Barbell curls/DB curls

Squats 3x5
GMs/Romanian deads/Snatch grip DLs
Leg press
Leg curls
Abs

Here's what I changed it to, obviously remove the shit you can't do and keep your own stuff. Remember, assistance is assistance. IMO do one assistance heavy and keep the rest as body building type training.

Hilti92

Question regarding the starting strength.. I just started it today as I am looking to get back into the groove of the gym.. Anyways, how do I determine to go up in weight? I am starting low so I don't have to worry about hurting myself. So for an example:
I did 70lb squats, 50lb dead lifts and 30lb over head presses. So do I do that same weight next time? How long until I up it and by how much?

Question regarding the starting strength.. I just started it today as I am looking to get back into the groove of the gym.. Anyways, how do I determine to go up in weight? I am starting low so I don't have to worry about hurting myself. So for an example:
I did 70lb squats, 50lb dead lifts and 30lb over head presses. So do I do that same weight next time? How long until I up it and by how much?

How to progress is one of the defining parts of ss. It is not just the exercise selection. Go find the ss wiki link in the op and read about the actual program.

Chocobro

Here's a link you can read about it. Generally you can add 5 lbs to BP, OHP, and cleans; 10 lbs to squats and DLs on your next workout. After a few weeks, the increment you add will decrease.

Related, think I'm going to increase the weights on my squat by 10 lbs increments instead of the more conservative 5 lbs, need to push myself. I think I'm going to post some form check videos sometime this week if my friends are in the gym with me.

Noema

You add weight to each lift every session. So next time you'll have to do 80lb on squats.

Hilti92

Here's a link you can read about it. Generally you can add 5 lbs to BP, OHP, and cleans; 10 lbs to squats and DLs on your next workout. After a few weeks, the increment you add will decrease.

Related, think I'm going to increase the weights on my squat by 10 lbs increments instead of the more conservative 5 lbs, need to push myself. I think I'm going to post some form check videos sometime this week if my friends are in the gym with me.

So I do the Monday - Wednesday - Friday for week 1 program (but I guess Sunday - Tuesday - Thursday since I started today..) so going by what you say, on my next day of going which will be Tuesday, I add the weight or do I wait until next week to do so?

Noema

So I do the Monday - Wednesday - Friday for week 1 program (but I guess Sunday - Tuesday - Thursday since I started today..) so going by what you say, on my next day of going which will be Tuesday, I add the weight or do I wait until next week to do so?

You always add more weight.

Add weight every workout. You only keep the amounts the same from one workout to the next if you fail a set.

Chocobro

What Noema said in the last few posts. Add weight to the next time you do that lift.

Noema, is it ok to be conservative with adding weight (for example, +5 lbs instead of +10 lbs on squat)? Some info: I'm 5'8", 130-135 lbs, going for all natural (relevant?), and from my last log: 75 lbs on squat and 85 lbs on DL.
But I guess it wouldn't hurt to try 85lbs for squats tomorrow.

Fezan

I made a separate thread but this threads more suitable for my post

So finally i am able to join Gym b ut the catch is the gym has all the equipment but no instructor. You can go in do whatever you like and come out. If you want to get advise he charges you extra a lot extra. So i am turning towards Fitness GAF for guidance. Things i would like to ask:

What exercises should i begin with ?
What should be my routine and schedule ?
What about diet ? I know crabs are good but what should i eat in layman terms that doesn't break the bank and is easily available. ?
Chocolate shakes or energy drinks good or bad ?

Things that you should know about me :
Became very obese during my high school. I am 5.10ft and at that time weigh around 94. so i developed man boobs also. After high school during college period i lost weight. i got around 70 kg stayed there for 4 years but man bobs remained. but then when i started job i again started gaining weight and right now i m 96 again. My work is IT related so i am sitting the whole day in air condition and also at home its the same.Also i have small problem of asthma so i cant jog etc in the start

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

So finally i am able to join Gym b ut the catch is the gym has all the equipment but no instructor. You can go in do whatever you like and come out. If you want to get advise he charges you extra a lot extra. So i am turning towards Fitness GAF for guidance. Things i would like to ask:

What about diet ? I know crabs are good but what should i eat in layman terms that doesn't break the bank and is easily available. ?

Became very obese during my high school. I am 5.10ft and at that time weigh around 94. so i developed man boobs also. After high school during college period i lost weight. i got around 70 kg stayed there for 4 years but man bobs remained. but then when i started job i again started gaining weight and right now i m 96 again. My work is IT related so i am sitting the whole day in air condition and also at home its the same.Also i have small problem of asthma so i cant jog etc in the start

Read the OP.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Everything in your questions are answered in the OP. With the extra info you added I would recommend dropping some weight first via diet, then look into a strength program. You can do both at first but I found it easier to dump weight for added mobility and less burnout, and it's worked for me.

Noema

What Noema said in the last few posts. Add weight to the next time you do that lift.

Noema, is it ok to be conservative with adding weight (for example, +5 lbs instead of +10 lbs on squat)? Some info: I'm 5'8", 130-135 lbs, going for all natural (relevant?), and from my last log: 75 lbs on squat and 85 lbs on DL.
But I guess it wouldn't hurt to try 85lbs for squats tomorrow.

Nothing wrong with being conservative, but I'm pretty sure you can manage 10lb jumps on the squat for a bit, at least until you get to 135lb. Once they start getting hard, switch to 5lb jumps.

Also, you are terribly underweight. You gotta eat eat eat, otherwise you'll stall really soon.

Read the OP.

deadbeef

I've posted about it several times, but no one has ever asked, until just now. So I'll post it here.

Rear delt destroyer.

If you do this right your shoulders are gonna look fuckawesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4J42MqUk3wg
Can't watch on mobile. Are these just lying rear DB flyes?

Also, it's Sunday night which means next week is a new workout week and I'm getting pumped up! I love the smell of DLs and squats in the morning.

Alright guys. I'm gonna take the challenge of losing weight. It's time I do it. I'm 5ft 8in. I'm 350 pounds. Once ive hit 300 ive never been below it its time to change that. I've always been nimble and have always been able to move pretty well when in playing football or tennis. Now those are things I can't participate in.

What should I eat? What are workouts besides jogging that I can do at home? Push-ups, crunches and all it's modifications, wall sit and squats are all I can think of. Should I do that to start and then gradually make it tougher?

I hope to make myself proud and happy. I've always been a moderately happy guy but I think I need this FOR ME. I just want to be slimmer. Everytime I try I always stop and always feel bad about it. I need this help from my GAF bros. I want to be a happier person slimmer person.

Plus I'm trying to fit all this while trying to find a job and doing other general errands. So I don't have to much time to exercise. That's why Im asking about home workouts.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Alright guys. I'm gonna take the challenge of losing weight. It's time I do it. I'm 5ft 8in. I'm 350 pounds. Once ive hit 300 ive never been below it its time to change that. I've always been nimble and have always been able to move pretty well when in playing football or tennis. Now those are things I can't participate in.

What should I eat? What are workouts besides jogging that I can do at home? Push-ups, crunches and all it's modifications, wall sit and squats are all I can think of. Should I do that to start and then gradually make it tougher?

I hope to make myself proud and happy. I've always been a moderately happy guy but I think I need this FOR ME. I just want to be slimmer. Everytime I try I always stop and always feel bad about it. I need this help from my GAF bros. I want to be a happier person slimmer person.

You might get more mileage out of the weight loss thread, but I have no clue how active or helpful it is so I'll ask some questions.

1: Do you log your food? If so, what do your numbers come out to?

2: How much do you want to lose first?

Chocobro

Nothing wrong with being conservative, but I'm pretty sure you can manage 10lb jumps on the squat for a bit, at least until you get to 135lb. Once they start getting hard, switch to 5lb jumps.

Also, you are terribly underweight. You gotta eat eat eat, otherwise you'll stall really soon.

I am, I am :) I noticed an increase in appetite after working out since June and eating more. Unfortunately, I just don't have time to count macros and calories
due to the amount of assignments I have in college now plus time management problems..
, I just eat until I feel 90-95% full. Is it a problem I eat a lot of rice (like two small bowls a day)? Chinese culture :|

You might get more mileage out of the weight loss thread, but I have no clue how active or helpful it is so I'll ask some questions.

1: Do you log your food? If so, what do your numbers come out to?

2: How much do you want to lose first?
1.I've never logged my food. I know I'll be laughed at but I've never seen the point of it. Probably because I've never had a need to do it.

2. I'm trying to get below 300 pounds. Just because its been a LONG time since ive been there. I know its gonna be a little difficult and its gonna take a while but its nothing a positve attitude cant help. I just need some help setting up a routine and keeping up with it. Which is why I turned to GAF. I know you guys will probably try to check up on me.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Might as well post here instead of making a new thread in Off-Topic.

So mid-March last year, something clicked in me to finally go on a serious diet/exercise after remembering all the times my parents told me I should do so. Later that year in Nov., I went from 267 lbs to 207 lbs, losing 60 lbs. in about 8 months. While I haven't really lost any more since then, I thankfully haven't gained any of it back, never going higher than 210. I went down from 42 size waist to 36 or 38 and my gut went from 50" to 43". Not to mention my eating habit has gotten SO much better in terms of quality and quantity, plus a month after I started dieting (15 lbs lost), my doctor said I was barely under the maximum limit for normal cholesterol (198, I think), so I'm sure it went down a lot as I continued to lose weight. So overall, I'm amazed that I was able to commit myself to getting a lot healthier and more so by keeping it off.

The problem is, I eventually exercise once or twice a week (do 100 crunches at the end of my bed, use the weight machine in my garage & do 100 50lb reps for either my arms or legs while watching something on TV or my laptop), but I've noticed my motivation is pretty much gone. I can't get myself to be excited to get on my exercise bike or go for a jog while listening to music as I originally did. Not to mention I'm full time at college again. Is there any way I can get myself back into the mood of things? I would really like to do from 207 to 190, which I think would be ideal for me (5'9" and turning 22 on 9/21, BTW).

Do you mind posting the link? That sounds like it'd be a helpful thread.

abuC

LOL, there's some dude at my gym who looks kind of like Jason Kidd goes ham on the smith machine squats. When he loads up the bar he slams every weight onto the bar so everyone can hear it then look over, he's lifting a lot but the spectacle of it all is hilarious. He yells out "UPPPPPPPP" when he starts, then grunts loud as possible on every rep, before and after he walks around pacing. I'm like come on man, it's the smith machine, yeah you have 4 plates on each side but come on, we can do without the show. I will get video the next time he's there...

deadbeef

There is always one of those guys at every gym at any given moment. We even have one at 5AM in my gym even though there is only 3 or 4 guys there working out that early.

Might as well post here instead of making a new thread in Off-Topic.

So mid-March last year, something clicked in me to finally go on a serious diet/exercise after remembering all the times my parents told me I should do so. Later that year in Nov., I went from 267 lbs to 207 lbs, losing 60 lbs. in about 8 months. While I haven't really lost any more since then, I thankfully haven't gained any of it back, never going higher than 210. I went down from 42 size waist to 36 or 38 and my gut went from 50" to 43". Not to mention my eating habit has gotten SO much better in terms of quality and quantity, plus a month after I started dieting (15 lbs lost), my doctor said I was barely under the maximum limit for normal cholesterol (198, I think), so I'm sure it went down a lot as I continued to lose weight. So overall, I'm amazed that I was able to commit myself to getting a lot healthier and more so by keeping it off.

The problem is, I eventually exercise once or twice a week (do 100 crunches at the end of my bed, use the weight machine in my garage & do 100 50lb reps for either my arms or legs while watching something on TV or my laptop), but I've noticed my motivation is pretty much gone. I can't get myself to be excited to get on my exercise bike or go for a jog while listening to music as I originally did. Not to mention I'm full time at college again. Is there any way I can get myself back into the mood of things? I would really like to do from 207 to 190, which I think would be ideal for me (5'9" and turning 22 on 9/21, BTW).

Do you mind posting the link? That sounds like it'd be a helpful thread.

Try new exercises to see if they excite you, and try to tighten up the diet a tiny bit more for further weight loss.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
LOL, there's some dude at my gym who looks kind of like Jason Kidd goes ham on the smith machine squats. When he loads up the bar he slams every weight onto the bar so everyone can hear it then look over, he's lifting a lot but the spectacle of it all is hilarious. He yells out "UPPPPPPPP" when he starts, then grunts loud as possible on every rep, before and after he walks around pacing. I'm like come on man, it's the smith machine, yeah you have 4 plates on each side but come on, we can do without the show. I will get video the next time he's there...

There is always one of those guys at every gym at any given moment. We even have one at 5AM in my gym even though there is only 3 or 4 guys there working out that early.

This happened yesterday with one of the guys at my gym that is clearly juiced up. Literally every rep of every set sounded like it was max effort.

I'm sitting there thinking, jesus man, even your warm ups are intense...

Shit's pretty annoying.

Can't watch on mobile. Are these just lying rear DB flyes?

Also, it's Sunday night which means next week is a new workout week and I'm getting pumped up! I love the smell of DLs and squats in the morning.

Limited range super high rep and super setted weights.

It's painful as hell and I only touch about half, MAYBE half of what kroc here does, but that's to be expected. He's a fucking animal.

abuC

This happened yesterday with one of the guys at my gym that is clearly juiced up. Literally every rep of every set sounded like it was max effort.

I'm sitting there thinking, jesus man, even your warm ups are intense...

Shit's pretty annoying.

I think it's hilarious, I have to look away to stop myself from laughing, especially when he yells out "UPPPPPPPPPPPPPP" to start his set.

It's just so funny cause he's just going so hard on the smith machine, the damn thing is shaking and the best part is he never passes parallel. The safety pins are set so high to top it off.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Try new exercises to see if they excite you, and try to tighten up the diet a tiny bit more for further weight loss.
My college has an activity center close by, I might check it out one of these days when I know I don't have a bunch of homework that needs to be worked on (especially Fridays after my morning class when I don't have class until Monday). I think part of it is I don't feel "rewarded" anymore for losing weight. Like, if I lose it, not much will change aside from "oh, I have to spend money to buy new clothes now".

My dad's starting to be more careful on what he eats, so he's been making more healthier meals, plus I keep mental notes of when the last "unhealthy" thing I ate was & if it'd be okay to have it. Plus I'm not gonna buy as much food to help save some money for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom