• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Might as well post here instead of making a new thread in Off-Topic.

So mid-March last year, something clicked in me to finally go on a serious diet/exercise after remembering all the times my parents told me I should do so. Later that year in Nov., I went from 267 lbs to 207 lbs, losing 60 lbs. in about 8 months. While I haven't really lost any more since then, I thankfully haven't gained any of it back, never going higher than 210. I went down from 42 size waist to 36 or 38 and my gut went from 50" to 43". Not to mention my eating habit has gotten SO much better in terms of quality and quantity, plus a month after I started dieting (15 lbs lost), my doctor said I was barely under the maximum limit for normal cholesterol (198, I think), so I'm sure it went down a lot as I continued to lose weight. So overall, I'm amazed that I was able to commit myself to getting a lot healthier and more so by keeping it off.

The problem is, I eventually exercise once or twice a week (do 100 crunches at the end of my bed, use the weight machine in my garage & do 100 50lb reps for either my arms or legs while watching something on TV or my laptop), but I've noticed my motivation is pretty much gone. I can't get myself to be excited to get on my exercise bike or go for a jog while listening to music as I originally did. Not to mention I'm full time at college again. Is there any way I can get myself back into the mood of things? I would really like to do from 207 to 190, which I think would be ideal for me (5'9" and turning 22 on 9/21, BTW).

Do you mind posting the link? That sounds like it'd be a helpful thread.

You are probably going into starvation mode. What's your calorie deficit?

deadbeef

This happened yesterday with one of the guys at my gym that is clearly juiced up. Literally every rep of every set sounded like it was max effort.

I'm sitting there thinking, jesus man, even your warm ups are intense...

Shit's pretty annoying.

Limited range super high rep and super setted weights.

It's painful as hell and I only touch about half, MAYBE half of what kroc here does, but that's to be expected. He's a fucking animal.

I've got one of his DVDs; he's a freak of nature.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
You are probably going into starvation mode. What's your calorie deficit?
I...have no idea. For the most part, I'd have to say it's most likely under 2,000. Maybe 1,000 to 1,250 at average, maybe 1,500 at the most if I have a big meal.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I think it's hilarious, I have to look away to stop myself from laughing, especially when he yells out "UPPPPPPPPPPPPPP" to start his set.

It's just so funny cause he's just going so hard on the smith machine, the damn thing is shaking and the best part is he never passes parallel. The safety pins are set so high to top it off.

Yeah, this guy yesterday was using hammer strength machines and cable machines and had some poor sap following him around being his weight bitch and every set included forced reps.

My mind was blown.

That said, he has a killer physique, so it's clearly working for him.

So basically haters gonna hate.

I've got one of his DVDs; he's a freak of nature.

No doubt, him and Meadows are awesome as hell.

TopDreg

Welp, today was deadlift day in Starting Strength. Deadlifts did not go well.

My stats:
Approx. 5' 8", 161 lbs
Squat 175 lbs (partially due to resetting since trying to learn low bar squat... felt great today btw. thanks for all the help)
Bench Press 150 lbs
Power clean 125 lbs
OHP 105 lbs
Deadlift 225 lbs

I tried doing a 15 lbs advancement on my deadlift today and that felt really heavy. So heavy that I felt like my back might have been rounding as I went up, and hence I stopped after 2 reps. Kind of a weird thought, to me, that even if you start with a straight back with weight on the floor, if the weight's too heavy, the back has a tendency to round while lifting up. Although, maybe that's a natural feeling? Dropped the weight to 230 lbs and still had slightly clumsy form... may be due to the exhaustion of the 15-lb increment. Are 15-lbs increments now not a safe idea? Drop to 7.5-lb increments or even 5-lb increments? Think I'll just try incrementing again from 225 lbs next time. My form at 225 lbs felt perfect. Ugh. Maybe I didn't eat enough.

Oh, my deadlift did not go up so well, yet my bench press progressed 5 lbs per usual. Weird.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Welp, today was deadlift day in Starting Strength. Deadlifts did not go well.

My stats:
Approx. 5' 8", 161 lbs
Squat 175 lbs (partially due to resetting since trying to learn low bar squat... felt great today btw. thanks for all the help)
Bench Press 150 lbs
Power clean 125 lbs
OHP 105 lbs
Deadlift 225 lbs

I tried doing a 15 lbs advancement on my deadlift today and that felt really heavy. So heavy that I felt like my back might have been rounding as I went up, and hence I stopped after 2 reps. Kind of a weird thought, to me, that even if you start with a straight back with weight on the floor, if the weight's too heavy, the back has a tendency to round while lifting up. Although, maybe that's a natural feeling? Dropped the weight to 230 lbs and still had slightly clumsy form... may be due to the exhaustion of the 15-lb increment. Are 15-lbs increments now not a safe idea? Drop to 7.5-lb increments or even 5-lb increments? Think I'll just try incrementing again from 225 lbs next time. Ugh. Maybe I didn't eat enough.

You sure you're doing starting strength?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
That is WAY too low. Your BMR is close to 2000. You're eating half of that.
Wow, didn't know eating too low was a bad thing. I used to have a habit of eating out of sheer boredom (though I'd still be careful on what), but I've stopped doing that since college started since I have stuff to focus on. Perhaps this week, I'll keep track of what I eat & see what it totals up to on average.

Kraftwerk

Anyone here ever attempted working out twice a day or is doing so currently?

I just joined a boxing gym. It is a pure boxing gym and they also have lifting equipment.

I would be doing most of my boxing early morning with a little lifting, and I was thinking of doing cardio when I go home at night after work. I mainly want to do this to get cut faster/lose body fat percentage.

Is this too much or no? Will it have any negative effects, such as diminishing returns etc?

I just joined a boxing gym. It is a pure boxing gym and they also have lifting equipment.

I would be doing most of my boxing early morning with a little lifting, and I was thinking of doing cardio when I go home at night after work. I mainly want to do this to get cut faster/lose body fat percentage.

Is this too much or no? Will it have any negative effects, such as diminishing returns etc?
I this on work days hit the bench and squat rack during lunch so its not busy then after work just accessories

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
1.I've never logged my food. I know I'll be laughed at but I've never seen the point of it. Probably because I've never had a need to do it.

2. I'm trying to get below 300 pounds. Just because its been a LONG time since ive been there. I know its gonna be a little difficult and its gonna take a while but its nothing a positve attitude cant help. I just need some help setting up a routine and keeping up with it. Which is why I turned to GAF. I know you guys will probably try to check up on me.

Alright. Log your food. You want to know the point? It gives you a very good starting point on finding out what to fix and change, and see exactly what you're slammin down each day. Whether you think it's important to do or not, it's EXTREMELY valuable for us so we can give you a good angle of attack on how to beat this.

Regarding point 2, that sounds all nice and fluffy but if you're not going to check up on YOURSELF, all of the goodwill in here is going to be worthless. You're going to get a routine, and get a plan, and it's going to be up to you and we're not going to be able to save you if you fall off the wagon. You've got to want it.

So, to-do list is to log your foods ACCURATELY (this is a tough one for many people, serving sizes are a bizzle) but LOG EVERYTHING ACCURATELY and get back with us. We can offer advice on what to get rid of, what to replace, and get you into an eating routine that won't leave you dead (at least not initially...cutting weight in the beginning is a huge mental hurdle) but we'll have you feeling better.

But it can't happen unless you log your food!

Also if you have time please get educated about all the bullshit phrases and things people say. Obviously everyone is different, but I mean things like people saying "Oh but it's NATURAL SUGAR" and then they eat 2 lbs of strawberries. That shit won't exempt you.

Log it, report it, and we'll help. But you gotta want it. We can't do it all for you so keep your expectations in check. It's ultimately all you.

I...have no idea. For the most part, I'd have to say it's most likely under 2,000. Maybe 1,000 to 1,250 at average, maybe 1,500 at the most if I have a big meal.

It's easier that you get to know your maintenance calories and then cut 10-20% off that and eat it.

You will still have energy to workout. Right now, your body is slowly shutting down

sphinx

the piano man
does anyone here have a definitive internet source for the macros in generic foods like fruits, vegetables and non branded comestibles?

I have found that most sources that go by description are shit, like "1 middle sized potato is XX carbs", that really doesn't help anybody so it would be better if it came in grams or lbs or some measurable factor.

Visceir

I have this one website where I can pick a food and then type in the gramms and it would calculate out how much kcals, fats, protein and carbs I get from it. Fill out all my meals like that and it would continuely display a pie chart down below with precentages of how much of it is fat/carbs/protein. Unfortunately the calculator isn't in english.

Not sure if I could ever follow my macros to such small detail, usually I just try to eat a lot and make an estimated guess what my macros are. Doing alright this far, I'd probably take a closer look at things if I should ever stall...or just up my food intake even more.

despire

Tried those Rear Delt Destroyers today after my OHP. Wasn't sure about the weights so repped 31lbsx50, 15lbsx30 and 11lbsx50. GF said I looked pretty ridiculous huffing and puffing while face down on the bench :p

thomaser

does anyone here have a definitive internet source for the macros in generic foods like fruits, vegetables and non branded comestibles?

I have found that most sources that go by description are shit, like "1 middle sized potato is XX carbs", that really doesn't help anybody so it would be better if it came in grams or lbs or some measurable factor.

Take a look at wolframalpha. If you just ate a 200g potato, simply write "potato 200g" and you'll get accurate details.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
It's easier that you get to know your maintenance calories and then cut 10-20% off that and eat it.

You will still have energy to workout. Right now, your body is slowly shutting down
Gonna write down all that I eat today & then see the calorie total (so far, breakfast has been about 500 with a bowl of cereal & 2 cups of coffee w/ creamer). So it's a balance of eating more while still making healthy choices?

Szu

Ughhh, probably came down with a slight cold over the weekend. The silver lining is that I can't really work out under the current conditions my left hand.

Hopefully, in the next week, I can get pass this cold and hand injury.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Ughhh, probably came down with a slight cold over the weekend. The silver lining is that I can't really work out under the current conditions my left hand.

Hopefully, in the next week, I can get pass this cold and hand injury.

GREETINGS SZU

MgzAwH3.png

Exis

Gonna write down all that I eat today & then see the calorie total (so far, breakfast has been about 500 with a bowl of cereal & 2 cups of coffee w/ creamer). So it's a balance of eating more while still making healthy choices?

That is the way to do it, just track what you eat for a day or so then you can dial it in.

deadbeef

Overslept this morning but made the decision to stay in the gym until I got all my sets/reps in. Sometimes when I'm running out of time in the morning I'll skip the assistance work or cut it short. I'm thinking doing this too much (or picking ineffective assistance work like pull downs) has hampered my progress. No more of that garbage! Going to make some real strides this fall.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Dude, I've had stomach cramps that's ruined my sleep for the last 3-4 days.
I only missed bench day though (and managed to squeeze in some BB sets during yesterday's squat), but I'm pretty dead.

Missed a day? That's the Ghost winning. Don't let the ghost win.

MgzAwH3.png

sphinx

the piano man
guys

hook grips

goddamn

$(KGrHqJ,!oIFD8629KBnBQ+YQqbjQw~~60_35.JPG

Interested, whats exercises could be done with these? They really look like a substitute for the gloves rippetoe hates so much.

I am definitely going back to gloves for minor dumbbell and cable assistance stuff. Not for compounds though.

Noema

Okay guys.

I'm off to do squats.

If you don't hear from me within the next 24 hours, you'll know the ghost got me.

Pray for me.

Kraftwerk

anyone?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Okay guys.

I'm off to do squats.

If you don't hear from me within the next 24 hours, you'll know the ghost got me.

Pray for me.

Spookylifts~

Almost all of us shy away from multiple workouts a day so I doubt many people will speak up. :| Just so you don't feel ignored, but it's not a common thing :(

Go_Ly_Dow

Finger injury was more impact/bruising rather than internal. Pain is fairly minimal when tensing it. Back to lifting tomorrow and a big fuck you to the ghost!

I have Versa Gripps. They are fantastic. Don't use them for deadlifts but for other pulling motions.

Would like to try these!

Interested, whats exercises could be done with these? They really look like a substitute for the gloves rippetoe hates so much.

I am definitely going back to gloves for minor dumbbell and cable assistance stuff. Not for compounds though.

I use them mostly for deads but bench as well.

I can't imagine not having them for deadlifts. Especially when you read weights where your body is capable of lifting the weight but your grip strength is literally hurting your gains. I've gotten to points on deads in the past where at the height of my lift the bar is literally centimeters away from falling out of my grasp.

These basically give you a "hook" that grips the bar and will refuse to drop it while also being a decent surface to apply your hand to and raise them.

I hate these things. I have a pair, used them once. Not only can you not grip the bar but it feels like your hands are getting ripped off at the wrist. Garbage.

Maybe you had a bad set where the hook thickness and design wasn't compartible with bars. Mine latches on pretty much perfectly and grip isn't an issue. I don't use them on pullups due to the awkwardness though.

As for the wrist thing again that's tied to you not being able to grip for some reason which I can't speak to.

SeanR1221

Would like to try these!

I use them mostly for deads but bench as well.

I can't imagine not having them for deadlifts. Especially when you read weights where your body is capable of lifting the weight but your grip strength is literally hurting your gains. I've gotten to points on deads in the past where at the height of my lift the bar is literally centimeters away from falling out of my grasp.

These basically give you a "hook" that grips the bar and will refuse to drop it while also being a decent surface to apply your hand to and raise them.

Maybe you had a bad set where the hook thickness and design wasn't compartible with bars. Mine latches on pretty much perfectly and grip isn't an issue. I don't use them on pullups due to the awkwardness though.

As for the wrist thing again that's tied to you not being able to grip for some reason which I can't speak to.

Eh you're kinda cheating yourself with the deads.

Use chalk and do farmers walks, Kroc rows and high rep deads to work your grip

J. Bravo

I did 2 a days for about 2.5 months. Cardio/lifting in the morning, lifting/cardio in the afternoon/evening. Just make sure you get lots of sleep and eat a crap ton of food.

Some days I would go to PT at 6am do all that shit for my leg, go to the gym and do cardio (usually ~30 mins stair stepper), go to work from 9-2, and then lift at 2:30. Worked pretty well.

One thing I will tell you never to do is two major compound lifts in one day. Lets say I missed a day in 5/3/1 (which does happen). So I deadlift in the morning and OHP at night. Never have I ever had enough energy to do anything other than the OHP sets. My body is exhausted, and I go home and collapse.

edit: I didn't work out every day. During those 2.5 months, I worked out 3-4x a week. Either did only cardio, or nothing on the off days.

Yeah I wouldn't use those grips for deads, but they would be excellent for shrugs, though.

I have seen someone use them for deadlifts actually, it...it didn't look right. Well, it LOOKED right, but I felt like it shouldn't. I don't think the guy was even really holding the bar, it was odd.

Anyways, 135*5 OHP, 85*10 BBB OHP (all with cleans because the rack was taken and I am a good citizen), weighted chins & dips today and I am unscathed. One more week of maintenance before it's back to cutting, gotta push while I got all these carbs in my system. Fuck ghosts.

6BKBvqhl.jpg

Noema

Okay, 295lbx8 on Squats plus a 225lbx10 back-off set. I'm pleased with that.

I'm afraid of no ghost.

Did some chin-ups and light barbell curls while my back rested. Got a pump, felt like coming.

Then I felt a slight twinge in my lower back while warming up for Good Mornings with the bar. Was going to do 115lbx8x3 as work-sets but decided to call it a day.

Maybe I am a tiny wee bit afraid.

Eh you're kinda cheating yourself with the deads.

Use chalk and do farmers walks, Kroc rows and high rep deads to work your grip

How am I cheating myself? I'm still engaging all of the core muscle groups involved with the workout with the exception that my grip strength is being aided.

I'll listen to fitgaf if you guys have compelling arguments but i'm gona be billigerant right now

Noema

How am I cheating myself? I'm still engaging all of the core muscle groups involved with the workout with the exception that my grip strength is being aided.

I'll listen to fitgaf if you guys have compelling arguments but i'm gona be billigerant right now

Nothing builds grip strength like Deadlifts. Your grip will get stronger as your deadlifts go up. If you use straps you are robbing yourself of all that grip / forearm work.

How much are you pulling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom