• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

rando14

DEADLIFT DAY BITCHES

going franco columbo on that bar!

iVMkkPnBT2ZyA.gif

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
ON GS double chocolate or extreme chocolate for me

Strawberry is decent since I put strawberries in my shakes sometimes but not enough enough to mask the taste of oats like chocolate does.

SonicXtreme said:
chocolate mint sounds really good but...i throw spinach and oats into most all of my shakes, so i'm scared to stray from choco/choco PB because of spinach mixing weird with mint, idk. i'd like to try it but i need dem greenz

I put a head of broccoli along with my usual 2 cups of oats in my shake for a week, never again. Was shitting and farting more than regularly, I already shit and fart too much.

Late breakfast.

The shake was amazing 4 oranges, 2 cups frozen pineapple, 2 cups frozen mango and a cup of water.

All right fellas, back in the game.

Body weight down to 185lb :)

Did
Squat 3x5x295
OHP 3x5x135
Arms

Wooooo finally broke past 135 OHP

Only 10 more lb to go on this cut!

mooooose

I think I finally figured out the low bar position....

my shoudlers and pecs have never felt so stretched...

now to figure out the rest of the motion....

blackflag

wat

I'm using ON's choc mint right now and it's Godly.

I dunno what to say. It's one of the better ON flavors I've tried but it's not near as good as several other brands flavor wise IMO.

Of course c'mon I realize flavor shouldnt matter we tryin to get big, strong, ripped, or all of the above. ON is quality protein.

Imm0rt4l

I feel like going to the gym is more "cool" to do this year than it was last year. This is a good thing and all, but I hate having to work around the stupid packed hours. I think I might do some deads tonight.

All right fellas, back in the game.

Body weight down to 185lb :)

Did
Squat 3x5x295
OHP 3x5x135
Arms

Wooooo finally broke past 135 OHP

Only 10 more lb to go on this cut!
Good shit bro

Nelo Ice

Banned
I feel like going to the gym is more "cool" to do this year than it was last year. This is a good thing and all, but I hate having to work around the stupid packed hours. I think I might do some deads tonight
I usually try to go when it will be absolutely dead like 1pm-4pm or 10pm or later. Also helps that the squat and or power rack are barely used.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
My squat rack should be arriving today. Gonna build that bitch and make sure it's ready for my by Monday. About to take my squats (and Bench Press, the machine my basement had was shady as shit) up substantially.

I currently use ON's vanilla, and it tastes fine and dandy to me. Nowhere near Godly though, so I gotta try this chocolate mint.

ON vanilla in oj is like a top tier dessert. In Milk it's decent. In water it's gross. Truly vanilla whey is a double edged sword.

I just ran out and I'm switching it up this time, mocha cappuccino for whey, cookies and cream for casein. Can't wait for Tuesday.

J. Bravo

ON vanilla in oj is like a top tier dessert. In Milk it's decent. In water it's gross. Truly vanilla whey is a double edged sword.

I just ran out and I'm switching it up this time, mocha cappuccino for whey, cookies and cream for casein. Can't wait for Tuesday.

wat. OJ as in orange juice? Ima have to try that...

I'm imaging this tasting like a dreamsicle and I want it. Now. Worst ON protein I've tasted was the Casein Cake Batter.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I ended my consecutive days of weight training streak at 38 yesterday. A part of me is a little sad but I needed it and it was going to end tomorrow anyway because it's football season and I have to watch my Niners whoop up on the Packers! ;)

Hi FitGAF. Finally got an account so I can ask my questions at last.

I've been lifting my entire life and gotten nowhere. Every time a friend decides to start working out, they blow by me in a month or two. I don't know what my problem is. I'm certainly fitter than the average person (who is a couch potato) overall, but decades of lifting should have me way beyond that, right?

I'm 40 now. I started when I was 15. At 26 I became vegetarian, and at 38 vegan, although I've recently gone back to regular vegetarian (eating eggs and whey). I've noticed little or no difference from one diet to another in terms of strength, energy, or appearance. Well, not quite true, I was a lot more ripped and seemed to have more muscle when I ate meat, but I was also in my 20s -- and I was weaker than I am now. I almost never get sick.

I've been through a million routines but all pretty basic tried and true stuff, I managed to avoid most goofy programs. 5x5, Westside for Skinny Bastards, 531, and most recently Starting Strength. I stall on all of them at around the same weights every time, sometimes even lower. Do the deloads as required by the program, build back up, and get no further.

My latest failure is SS. I started out with just the bar and added each workout. Stalled. Decided to give non-veganism a try and eat more; upped my calories significantly, got to around 200g of protein a day by adding eggs and Quest bars. Put on 10lb in about a month and got only a hair further on my lifts. Then I got sick (for the first time in two years) and was throwing up for two days. Then I was fine, but those two days made me lose those 10lb. I've since gained it back, but my lifts still haven't even gotten back to that level 3 months later.

• Stats:
  • Height: 5'9"
  • Weight: 150lb
  • Squat: 147.5 (failed). Before getting sick I eked out 162.5 although my form probably sucked..
  • Deadlift: 215 (3x5). Before getting sick I was at 235.
  • Bench: 147.5 (3x5) - came up one rep short on last set. This is actually my best bench for reps ever I think.
  • OHP: Before getting sick I eked out 72.5lb but now I am failing at 62.5. I also have something with my right shoulder I need to get checked out because it's killing me. I can't do dips either because of it.
  • Pull-ups: 20lb (3x5) or 3x10 unweighted.
  • Rows: 135 (3x5), but I think my form is slipping and I need to deload.

Very frustrating to look at those "strength standards" charts and see that a girl my size should be doing those weights or above within 3 months of lifting and here I'm a dude who's been trying for 25 years. I've been doing SS for like 6 months now and am stalled out on weights that are no more than 10lb greater than what I stalled on on any other program.

Had my testosterone tested two years ago and it was 506 which isn't high but isn't really low either. Thyroid etc tested fine.

My arms are like noodles lately because I can't really do OHP or dips because of my shoulder, and can't do chin-ups (palms facing me) because I have some golfer's elbow/tendinitis in my right forearm that kills with that grip. Going to get an MRI on the shoulder I think.

Typical daily food intake:

• 5 scrambled eggs
  • 2 Quest bars (cookie dough, duh)
  • shake - banana, handful of strawberries, handful of blueberries, scoop of hemp powder, scoop of flax powder, coconut oil, kale, celery, almonds, pistachios
  • lentils, potatoes, peas, okra, peppers, brown basmati rice
  • natural pbj on ezekiel bread

My weight is still creeping up a little each week so I'm not in a deficit. Just checked the above in MyFitnessPal and it's 2155 calories, 234 carbs, 90 fat, and 119 protein, so not so hot I guess. Earlier this year I was in the 2500-3000 range with around 200g of protein, and I was just marginally stronger, and measurements showed that my arms, chest, shoulders, were no bigger, but my waist was. Not really looking to put 2" on my waist, spend more time and money eating, and look worse just to lift a few more pounds in the gym.

Ideas?

Cooter

Hi FitGAF. Finally got an account so I can ask my questions at last.

I've been lifting my entire life and gotten nowhere. Every time a friend decides to start working out, they blow by me in a month or two. I don't know what my problem is. I'm certainly fitter than the average person (who is a couch potato) overall, but decades of lifting should have me way beyond that, right?

I'm 40 now. I started when I was 15. At 26 I became vegetarian, and at 38 vegan, although I've recently gone back to regular vegetarian (eating eggs and whey). I've noticed little or no difference from one diet to another in terms of strength, energy, or appearance. Well, not quite true, I was a lot more ripped and seemed to have more muscle when I ate meat, but I was also in my 20s -- and I was weaker than I am now. I almost never get sick.

I've been through a million routines but all pretty basic tried and true stuff, I managed to avoid most goofy programs. 5x5, Westside for Skinny Bastards, 531, and most recently Starting Strength. I stall on all of them at around the same weights every time, sometimes even lower. Do the deloads as required by the program, build back up, and get no further.

My latest failure is SS. I started out with just the bar and added each workout. Stalled. Decided to give non-veganism a try and eat more; upped my calories significantly, got to around 200g of protein a day by adding eggs and Quest bars. Put on 10lb in about a month and got only a hair further on my lifts. Then I got sick (for the first time in two years) and was throwing up for two days. Then I was fine, but those two days made me lose those 10lb. I've since gained it back, but my lifts still haven't even gotten back to that level 3 months later.

• Stats:
  • Height: 5'9"
  • Weight: 150lb
  • Squat: 147.5 (failed). Before getting sick I eked out 162.5 although my form probably sucked..
  • Deadlift: 215 (3x5). Before getting sick I was at 235.
  • Bench: 147.5 (3x5) - came up one rep short on last set. This is actually my best bench for reps ever I think.
  • OHP: Before getting sick I eked out 72.5lb but now I am failing at 62.5. I also have something with my right shoulder I need to get checked out because it's killing me. I can't do dips either because of it.
  • Pull-ups: 20lb (3x5) or 3x10 unweighted.
  • Rows: 135 (3x5), but I think my form is slipping and I need to deload.

Very frustrating to look at those "strength standards" charts and see that a girl my size should be doing those weights or above within 3 months of lifting and here I'm a dude who's been trying for 25 years. I've been doing SS for like 6 months now and am stalled out on weights that are no more than 10lb greater than what I stalled on on any other program.

Had my testosterone tested two years ago and it was 506 which isn't high but isn't really low either. Thyroid etc tested fine.

My arms are like noodles lately because I can't really do OHP or dips because of my shoulder, and can't do chin-ups (palms facing me) because I have some golfer's elbow/tendinitis in my right forearm that kills with that grip. Going to get an MRI on the shoulder I think.

Typical daily food intake:

• 5 scrambled eggs
  • 2 Quest bars (cookie dough, duh)
  • shake - banana, handful of strawberries, handful of blueberries, scoop of hemp powder, scoop of flax powder, coconut oil, kale, celery, almonds, pistachios
  • lentils, potatoes, peas, okra, peppers, brown basmati rice
  • natural pbj on ezekiel bread

My weight is still creeping up a little each week so I'm not in a deficit. Just checked the above in MyFitnessPal and it's 2155 calories, 234 carbs, 90 fat, and 119 protein, so not so hot I guess. Earlier this year I was in the 2500-3000 range with around 200g of protein, and I was just marginally stronger, and measurements showed that my arms, chest, shoulders, were no bigger, but my waist was. Not really looking to put 2" on my waist, spend more time and money eating, and look worse just to lift a few more pounds in the gym.

Ideas?

This is the reason why in my opinion. Double that! Oddly enough your back seems to be outpacing your other muscles by quite a bit. I don't really have a reason why but it's interesting.

Yeah, the consensus in many places seems to be "eat more". But shouldn't I be concerned that even eating 3000 calories and gaining 10lb didn't get my lifts really much higher, and didn't make me bigger anywhere but my waist? And I did still stall completely (except on deadlift which was still going strong until I got sick). I mean if my arms/chest/etc weren't getting any bigger, doesn't that indicate I wasn't gaining muscle? I'm not too crazy at the thought of putting on 10lb just so I can lift 5lb more.

That IF calculator says for weight gain I should go for 2282 calories which is just a hair above the daily intake I just posted, and I forgot to put in snacks like almonds and cashews.

SeanR1221

There's a lot of factors we don't know.

- how consistent was your diet

- how consistent was your rest

- how consistent was your training

- your form on the lifts

All of these things could be a factor.

No, what I listed was my current typical day (minus snacks of nuts and stuff) which adds up to 2155. I was eating 2600-3000 a few months ago and gained 10lb but wasn't much or any stronger or bigger, just had a thicker waist. The IF calculator gives me a 210/150/94 breakdown of carbs/protein/fat, so I think if I cut out the orange juice and add a few scoops of whey powder I'll be almost dead on that. I'd really prefer to go back to being vegan, but I'm determined to give this one last try.

Diet is extremely consistent. Basically the only thing that changes from day to day is dinner, and it's still in the same family -- lentils, beans, rice, etc.

Rest is consistent. Very rare I get under 8 hours of sleep a night and I've put bicycling on hold while I make this last ditch attempt to get stronger, so I'm not really doing anything physical on off days.

Training is consistent. 3 days a week these months. I've worked out 2-3 days a week for most of my life.

Form, well, I'll be posting some vids at some point, so hopefully can get any issues worked out there.

rando14

I ended my consecutive days of weight training streak at 38 yesterday. A part of me is a little sad but I needed it and it was going to end tomorrow anyway because it's football season and I have to watch my Niners whoop up on the Packers! ;)

Cooter I just wanted to say that we're boys, and that I hope there's no hard feelings when the hawks crush the niners in week 2 :cool:

Sooooo glad football season is here

sphinx

the piano man
what's everybody's opinion on doing normal, regular push-ups as assistance?

yesterday I decided to remember the old times and tried to go through my old set of push-ups (complete, not just a few for warm-up) in several exotic positions and holy shit, I think the exercise is quite formidable, I am sore like I have not been in a long time.

I stopped dedicating time and effort to them because I started using free weights and bench press substituted all the stuff I was doing with push-ups but it was nice doing it again.

Cooter

Cooter I just wanted to say that we're boys, and that I hope there's no hard feelings when the hawks crush the niners in week 2 :cool:

Sooooo glad football season is here
I fully expect a beat down up there next week. I'm not delusional. We'll see what happens in SF...

SeanR1221

Two scoops whey, 2 cups almond milk, cup of frozen mango and cup of frozen strawberries somehow made an 8 cup smoothie. Good god I'm full.

yesterday I decided to remember the old times and tried to go through my old set of push-ups (complete, not just a few for warm-up) in several exotic positions and holy shit, I think the exercise is quite formidable, I am sore like I have not been in a long time.

I stopped dedicating time and effort to them because I started using free weights and bench press substituted all the stuff I was doing with push-ups but it was nice doing it again.

I mean, if you're around 200lbs, then you're essentially lifting up 100lbs or something just through your pecs and arms in a push-up.
Sounds like an excellent assistance if you vary it up a bit.

Visceir

Tried supersetting cable flies and push ups one workout long ago and could only get like 6 - 8 pushups done after the cable flies.

Normal, regular push-ups are too easy and you're better off focusing on exercises with heavier weights.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Yeah, the consensus in many places seems to be "eat more". But shouldn't I be concerned that even eating 3000 calories and gaining 10lb didn't get my lifts really much higher, and didn't make me bigger anywhere but my waist? And I did still stall completely (except on deadlift which was still going strong until I got sick). I mean if my arms/chest/etc weren't getting any bigger, doesn't that indicate I wasn't gaining muscle? I'm not too crazy at the thought of putting on 10lb just so I can lift 5lb more.

That IF calculator says for weight gain I should go for 2282 calories which is just a hair above the daily intake I just posted, and I forgot to put in snacks like almonds and cashews.

How are you tracking your food? App?

Honestly, pick a daily caloric intake goal and hit it every single day, even days when you're resting. If I were you I'd make that 3000 for the hell of it and just track your progress over two weeks and see if there's any difference in your lifts, weight or energy levels. "2600-3000" is a huge margin; could easily have been eating under maintenance without even knowing it.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Second week back with Front SQuarts 330 for reps this time. Did full squats 3x8 after and some RDLs. Hope work doesn't kick my ass so I can stay consistent... :(

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
So Sunday begins my next round of 1RM checks and as long as my body holds up I'll be going for 600lbs on deadlift sometime next week. Ultimately it depends on how quick 585 goes up.

TopDreg

Got a question on power cleans. I'm aware that you're supposed to wait until you get the bar a little above the knees, touching your leg still, before you hip drive and jump. But, when I try to consciously think about touching the knee, going up slowly, and then jump, I get a lot less power than when I do it without thinking. That is, I don't consciously try to keep the bar as close to my body, and I think the bar just barely goes above my knees but I'm not sure. Was wondering if anyone goes through a similar experience? Am I just being a newb?

Got a question on power cleans. I'm aware that you're supposed to wait until you get the bar a little above the knees, touching your leg still, before you hip drive and jump. But, when I try to consciously think about touching the knee, going up slowly, and then jump, I get a lot less power than when I do it without thinking. That is, I don't consciously try to keep the bar as close to my body, and I think the bar just barely goes above my knees but I'm not sure. Was wondering if anyone goes through a similar experience? Am I just being a newb?

It really is supposed to be one continuous explosive movement. The "past the knees" cue is to help beginners learn form.

Irobot82

Keep dreaming brah.

Tilapia or Salmon fish have more protien than chicken?

Probably Talapia. Salmon has a ton of that healthy yummy fat. Don't fear the fat.

velociraptor

So I just had some steak. It roughly half a plate in size.

Took me two hours to finish the thing. I'm such a slow eater... lol.

I find beef pretty hard to eat. A few bites and you're suddenly full! Conversely, I can devour 2 chicken breasts in minute or two without any issues.

My Rogue Do-Wins are on the verge of dying: the upper right ring thingie is about to give up the ghost.

They lasted me about 4 years. Are there any recommendations on lifting shoes that will last me a bit more? The Do-Wins are nice, don't get me wrong, but I want something to last more.

J. Bravo

Leg curls are the worst.

285 for 5. Squats are definitely my weakest exercise. Is it normal to deadlift just under 100 pounds more? Same reps too.

rando14

Leg curls are the worst.

285 for 5. Squats are definitely my weakest exercise. Is it normal to deadlift just under 100 pounds more? Same reps too.

ratios for the big lifts are typically around 1/1.5/2, so depending on your BW it might not be that weird

And hush you, leg curls are awesome! Gotta punish those hams!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom