• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
eating all the time is a tiresome process. it is a lot harder than what people think =/

I'm feeling pangs of that right now.

Currently on a 3200-3500 calorie diet, and boy does it get tough to fit in food sometimes. It's a job, no two ways about it. Especially if you count every single calorie every single day like I do.

But at least it keeps me motivated, and man it really puts into perspective how little I was eating before when I thought I was eating a lot. Gonna pull up an embarrassing post later tonight to demonstrate jut how ignorant about nutrition I was.

Nelo Ice

Banned
So forgot to mention this but the other day while I was doing OHP in the squat rack one of the bigger guys I see at the gym asked me if I was a football player since I was always in the racks. I'm guessing that's a compliment since I'm only 5'5 and 141 pounds but look nothing like a football player lol. I told him it was just apart of my program but I did mention I could squat 205 lbs and he was impressed.

kinda modified the 5/3/1 4th week (deload week). I scratched out the main lift, but instead all accessory work (like dumb bell shoulder press) with low weight high reps. its my volume week

Or will that fuck up my recovery?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Found a pretty nice house near where I work, only down side is the garage is only 8 foot tall and there is stupid duct work in the way running down the middle. I think I can still make it work though.

Irobot82

Found a pretty nice house near where I work, only down side is the garage is only 8 foot tall and there is stupid duct work in the way running down the middle. I think I can still make it work though.

I'm making it work for my rinky dink set up. I sure do wish I had an OLY set though. I'm hoping when things even out in the next year I'll be able to invest in a nice rack

Pullups suck though. I have to lift up my legs. I wish I could fully free hang.

Noema

They are trying to do axel bar cleans which is a legit strong man exercise. They just look goofy as hell doing it.

Here is a beast doing it

http://youtu.be/q6agvB5mBvY

Captain, you are the second Crossfit person I've met to call him "Rippletoe"

Is that like universal Crossfit speak or something?

Well Rippetoe doesn't teach push jerks or the Olympic lifts; he's a strength training coach so maybe there's an Earth-2 version called Rippletoe who looks like Rippetoe but has a goatee and a six pack and speaks with a thick Boston accent, and that's whom he's talking about.

Matt Rippletoe has his own book, too:

Beginning Brawl: SuperSexy Barbell Training.

The program is composed of five lifts: the Clean and Jerk, push jerk, Zercher Squat, decline bench and barbell curl.

Noema

kinda modified the 5/3/1 4th week (deload week). I scratched out the main lift, but instead all accessory work (like dumb bell shoulder press) with low weight high reps. its my volume week

Or will that fuck up my recovery?

Don't get ditch the main lift. Deload week is there for a reason: even though you are doing much less weight you are still doing it and practicing the movement, keeping it fresh in your CNS. That's why it's called deload week, not volume week.

You run the risk of actually getting weaker if you ditch the main lift.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Well Rippetoe doesn't teach push jerks or the Olympic lifts; he's a strength training coach so maybe there's an Earth-2 version called Rippletoe who looks like Rippetoe but has a goatee and a six pack and speaks with a thick Boston accent, and that's whom he's talking about.

The program is composed of five lifts: the Clean and Jerk, push jerk, Zercher Squat, decline bench and barbell curl.

My head damn near exploded reading this out of order.

Don't get ditch the main lift. Deload week is there for a reason: even though you are doing much less weight you are still doing it and practicing the movement, keeping it fresh in your CNS. That's why it's called deload week, not volume week.

You run the risk of actually getting weaker if you ditch the main lift.
ah alright. I was approaching it as muscle confusion thing so my body doesn't get used to the same movement over and over.

EDIT: then again there is no such thing as muscle confusion right

ah alright. I was approaching it as muscle confusion thing so my body doesn't get used to the same movement over and over.

"Muscle confusion" is marketing fluff. The fact that 5 3 1 adds weight every cycle is what pushes you to improve. Consistently doing the same shit is better for progressing than variety for variety's sake cause it lets you track your performance.

I am lifting Sat-Mon-Wed but my schedule is all out of whack!

Anyways, today I did

Squat 300 4/4/4 I feel like I could have hit the 3x5 but I didn't feel like it yet
OHP 137.5 5/4/4 Felt strong, just couldn't nail the last rep
Pullups 6/6/6 the reps keep coming in, I couldn't even do one two months ago! WTF

despire

That feeling when you are looking for a house to buy and one of the most important aspects is whether or not you can fit a gym inside :D

I will be in the same situation in two or three years..

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
That feeling when you are looking for a house to buy and one of the most important aspects is whether or not you can fit a gym inside :D

I will be in the same situation in two or three years..

Yeah, everything else is perfect. I'm emailing Matt Goodwin at EFTS and opening up dialogue with him to try to make it work.

The other issue will be selling the house I currently own after we move. Money is gonna be tight until that's done once we purchase the new house.

Seems I just managed to make a fool of myself. I've always read it as Rippletoe, my bad. Starting strength is on the way to me (has taken forever), assumed lifts such as cleans and push-jerks covered in that book. Point was, I train at a crossfit center where we have proper trainers, focus on proper form and I've yet to see anything nearly as stupid as the gifs or video happen down there. It's not all bad, some people just prefer doing their training in that environment.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Seems I just managed to make a fool of myself. I've always read it as Rippletoe, my bad. Starting strength is on the way to me (has taken forever), assumed lifts such as cleans and push-jerks covered in that book. Point was, I train at a crossfit center where we have proper trainers, focus on proper form and I've yet to see anything nearly as stupid as the gifs or video happen down there. It's not all bad, some people just prefer doing their training in that environment.

Don't feel bad doing crossfit, just realize crossfit is "crossfit" and nothing more. Just like powerlifting is just "powerlifting" strongman is just "strongman," and weightlifting is just "weightlifting."

MjFrancis

Where there is a will there's a way. I know you can make it work! I'd OHP in the driveway with bumpers if I had to.

Speaking of home gyms, I finally got a dip stand. Real sturdy construction, too, it's a homemade deal that would fit nicely in any commercial gym. The guy I bought it from had a Westside Barbell bumper sticker on his truck. He said he has a few state records for powerlifting in his weight class for his age (he's over 40). I wish I could have picked his brain more but my wife and son were with me so I didn't have time to talk shop.

SeanR1221

Major OHP deload incoming today. The goal is to break all my rep PRs at lower weight. I also think I started too high on 5/3/1 because my first 5s week I only put up 7 reps.

But it's like wendler says, if you can rep more at a lower weight, you've gotten stronger.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
DEADLIFT NIGHT

531 train continues on! After OHP day I fear for my back's state after deads! Fuck it! All in baby!

despire

I'm at a loss at what to do now. I've been doing RFLD, BF% currently at ~18%. I'm just getting pretty skinny here and if I would go all the way down to 12%, I'd look like a skeleton. So I've been thinking about recomping for a while and seeing how it would go.

So I'm asking for advice on the whole recomp issue. Who's done it succesfully and how did you do it? I know many here have stopped doing the whole bulk/cut thingy.

Also: Reverse Pyramid Training or Westside for Skinny Bastards (1,2)? Kind of interested to try the WS4SB but I'm not sure how it would work in this case.

I'm feeling pangs of that right now.

Currently on a 3200-3500 calorie diet, and boy does it get tough to fit in food sometimes. It's a job, no two ways about it. Especially if you count every single calorie every single day like I do.

But at least it keeps me motivated, and man it really puts into perspective how little I was eating before when I thought I was eating a lot. Gonna pull up an embarrassing post later tonight to demonstrate jut how ignorant about nutrition I was.

It is just hard and I am waning a bit. Shoving all that food in my mouth and trying to keep my calories up... I can't imagine putting on another 10-15 lbs. Like I said, I'm prolly putting on weight too fast but I will have a 5-6 month period where I do a slow cut so I'm not too worried.

Anything to be big.

CALLING ALL FORM POLICE:

Testing 1RMs this week. Today was deadlift - I got 340 which is exactly 2x my bodyweight.

Please form check: http://youtu.be/A0sMjQmgycc

The more I watch this the less proud I am, you can see my back round and I don't think I was driving my hips forward as much as I should've been. On the plus side, I did not get a hernia, pull a disk, or shit myself. Still, I would appreciate any and all advice on how you all think I did. My plan for deadlifts is to do the lighter BBB sets as deficit deadlifts to address my weakness off the floor.

I tried 365 next and the bar did not even budge, just felt my mid-lat/back pulling harder & harder with nothing happening, so I called it there.

Thursday - it's time to get pumped about weekend exercises!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=negAzx-M_yI

I'm sorry, but the only words that I can muster are really, really terrible things. Damn.

Trying front squat for the first time tonight on day 1 (which is my squat day) of my 2nd mesocycle of 5/3/1. Squats, barbell lunges, DB sidebends, front squats, and ten minutes of HIIT on a stationary bike to round out the day. I'll hobble back in here more manly then ever after tonight.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
It is just hard and I am waning a bit. Shoving all that food in my mouth and trying to keep my calories up... I can't imagine putting on another 10-15 lbs. Like I said, I'm prolly putting on weight too fast but I will have a 5-6 month period where I do a slow cut so I'm not too worried.

Anything to be big.

How much are you eating exactly?

You can try making calorie-dense shakes. Throw some eggs, cottage cheese, milk, whey protein, peanut butter, banana, olive oil, etc. into a blender and bam, you've got yourself a meal that takes an insignificant amount of time to prepare and one that's much easier to down than solid food.

Sometimes I'll drink beer to fill up on calories. It's all very basic math: calories in/calories out. Hit your fat/proteins for the day and you're golden pretty much. Makes eating every day exciting actually.

Despite what Sunflower and I talked about earlier on this page, my friend wants me to start lifting with him.

Does anyone have stories of when they were first starting out? I need some kind of context so I don't feel so embarrassed.

Cudder

Despite what Sunflower and I talked about earlier on this page, my friend wants me to start lifting with him.

Does anyone have stories of when they were first starting out? I need some kind of context so I don't feel so embarrassed.

What are you embarrassed about? If anything, you should be happy and grateful that someone who's accustomed to lifting wants to train with you. A much better deal than having 2 beginners bullshitting at the gym thinking they are doing something.

How much are you eating exactly?

You can try making calorie-dense shakes. Throw some eggs, cottage cheese, milk, whey protein, peanut butter, banana, olive oil, etc. into a blender and bam, you've got yourself a meal that takes an insignificant amount of time to prepare and one that's much easier to down than solid food.

Sometimes I'll drink beer to fill up on calories. It's all very basic math: calories in/calories out. Hit your fat/proteins for the day and you're golden pretty much. Makes eating every day exciting actually.

I'm getting close to 4K a day. It is just at times where I don't care for food anymore lol. Now being one of them.

abuC

I'm at a loss at what to do now. I've been doing RFLD, BF% currently at ~18%. I'm just getting pretty skinny here and if I would go all the way down to 12%, I'd look like a skeleton. So I've been thinking about recomping for a while and seeing how it would go.

So I'm asking for advice on the whole recomp issue. Who's done it succesfully and how did you do it? I know many here have stopped doing the whole bulk/cut thingy.

Also: Reverse Pyramid Training or Westside for Skinny Bastards (1,2)? Kind of interested to try the WS4SB but I'm not sure how it would work in this case.

You probably only look skinny to yourself, I'm losing weight as well and I feel I look small even though I'm still north of 220lbs.

Kraftwerk

Question for anyone here who has gone through a cutting phase before, or currently is in one;

Do you cut out carbs completly? I have been cutting for a week now, and I don't feel full unless I have rice or bread of some sort. I have been eating tons of vegetables such as brocolli to make me feel full but it ain't doing it for me. I guess it is more of a mental thing. I hit the macros, but i just don't feel fulfilled unless I eat DAT BREAD :"(

I ordered some quest bars. hopefully that helps with my sweet tooth.

Cudder

Playing GTAV until 4am and expecting a great workout the next day is...not very conducive.
wtzgU.gif

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Question for anyone here who has gone through a cutting phase before, or currently is in one;

Do you cut out carbs completly? I have been cutting for a week now, and I don't feel full unless I have rice or bread of some sort. I have been eating tons of vegetables such as brocolli to make me feel full but it ain't doing it for me. I guess it is more of a mental thing. I hit the macros, but i just don't feel fulfilled unless I eat DAT BREAD :"(

I ordered some quest bars. hopefully that helps with my sweet tooth.

I dump em all. I was doing a keto diet, which involves <20g carbs a day, and I was at <5 because any kind of cheat made it worse.

Be patient. Forget feeling full. Forget it! Eating is a function.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

I know this will sound a bit nutty but don't overdo it. Especially when lifting with a friend there's a bit of a push to push yourself too hard. You can easily overdo it.

Bring the SS routine in the OP and track everything and as long as you are moving up in your weights every workout, you're winning. Taking it slow and not overdoing it is one of the biggest pitfalls you can stumble into and it can lead to injury or slow recovery.

abuC

Anything to be big.

I have to stop myself from eating on my carb up days, my bulk will be insane and I cannot wait.

Two weeks ago I had two five guys burgers, fries and within an hour I had 4 slices of pizza. I'm a former fatty, bulking will be like seeing an old girlfriend.

SeanR1221

I am wrecked today.

New pr working set on OHP and rear delt destroyers did me in. My elbows, delts and lats are all kinds of sore right now. Damn.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
OHP the other night was so good! Feeling swole, managed to get a hundred and tw--

Attempt #43 at a 225 OHP tonight! Giddy up!!

8A1mZ99.jpg

just kidding, go get that shit coots

Anything to be big.

clean bulking?

I have to stop myself from eating on my carb up days, my bulk will be insane and I cannot wait.

Two weeks ago I had two five guys burgers, fries and within an hour I had 4 slices of pizza. I'm a former fatty, bulking will be like seeing an old girlfriend.

Those days are great. I just can't do them every day. After 5 weeks, it is starting to wear on me. Whatever though. I will get 260 by the end of the year and that is that.

That being said, when GTAV came out a few days ago...

Taco Bell
Chipotle
Chinese
Steak/chicken
cake and ice cream

fuck it man, we all in.

Pancakes?

sounds like a great idea

clean bulking?

clean... bulking?

tumblr_mt76hsxLvU1soba38o1_400.gif

abuC

Those days are great. I just can't do them every day. After 5 weeks, it is starting to wear on me. Whatever though. I will get 260 by the end of the year and that is that.

That being said, when GTAV came out a few days ago...

Taco Bell
Chipotle
Chinese
Steak/chicken
cake and ice cream

fuck it man, we all in.

Ditch the taco bell man, and eat a big breakfast, carb up days I power through an entire box of cereal in one sitting in the morning and it leaves me starving the rest of the day.

Ditch the taco bell man, and eat a big breakfast, carb up days I power through an entire box of cereal in one sitting in the morning and it leaves me starving the rest of the day.

That was just on GTA day :p

Most mornings I go eggs, pb with cinnamon bread, banana, milk, oatmeal, and whatever else. Maybe some bacon or sausage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom