• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackflag

Those days are great. I just can't do them every day. After 5 weeks, it is starting to wear on me. Whatever though. I will get 260 by the end of the year and that is that.

That being said, when GTAV came out a few days ago...

Taco Bell
Chipotle
Chinese
Steak/chicken
cake and ice cream

fuck it man, we all in.

sounds like a great idea

clean... bulking?

tumblr_mt76hsxLvU1soba38o1_400.gif

How bloated do you get? It gets me bad. After a whole large pizza and a pint of ben and jerry's greek yogurt, I look fat the next few days.

clean... bulking?

tumblr_mt76hsxLvU1soba38o1_400.gif

Yeah I can't do it. Once I hit a certain body fat percentage I'm out. I just can't stomach it.

Bulking clean as hell is one of the hardest things though and is so hard on my wallet. Trying to hit thousands of calories off of low fat, mostly protein foods is just...

How bloated do you get? It gets me bad. After a whole large pizza and a pint of ben and jerry's greek yogurt, I look fat the next few days.

this is me 24/7

fat and bloated

but also big and strong. lots of comments on my arms and back

Yeah I can't do it. Once I hit a certain body fat percentage I'm out. I just can't stomach it.

Bulking clean as hell is one of the hardest things though and is so hard on my wallet. Trying to hit thousands of calories off of low fat, mostly protein foods is just...

Much easier to lose the fat than muscle so for now, I will eat and lift heavy and hard. Then worry about losing the fat later.

IceCold

You could try something like this.

I'm loving 531. Sure, strength doesn't go up as fast as with other programs, but it's still a strength program. And since it's only one heavy compound per session, you can really focus on it for 35-40 minutes, and then you are still pretty fresh to do assistance and then get a pump without feeling like YNDTP.

The only thing I don't like about 531 is that the stock program doesn't have enough volume on Squats IMO, but that's easily remedied by adding more squats as assistance on other day.

How good is this workout? It looks pretty good to me. I'm looking for something that can add decent strength and size as I have been having little success with my current program.

In 5/3/1, what's the progression for assistance exercises? Do I simply try to add 1-5lb every week?

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
How long am I supposed to do starting strength for? Finishing week 2 on Saturday and not sure what's next?
Week 2? Longer than that. Much longer. Months. Keep doing it until it stops working.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination

Umm wat?

All clean bulking means is that you're eating only about 10 percent above your maintenance so that you minimize fat gain. It's like gaining half a pound a week. Has nothing to do with the quality of foods you eat. Of course, you've gotta hit your protein and fat macros, but if that means eating ice cream and pizza then it's all the same.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
I figured that but on their website, there's only instructions for 2 weeks. I don't know what to do for exercising now lol.
You do Week A, then Week B, then Week A, then Week B etc... adding weight every time you train.

Tried front squats today. Really felt uncomfortable in my forearms/wrists/hands. I used the "Olympic grip" which I think I just lack the wrist flexibility for, though I may also have not have my elbows high enough. Going to try using the crossover grip next time and focus on keeping my elbows more forward.

Cudder

anyone do Overhead Squats? I tried them for the first time last night, and I felt muscles stretch like I've never felt before. And I was using a pussy 30lb short bar..

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Tried front squats today. Really felt uncomfortable in my forearms/wrists/hands. I used the "Olympic grip" which I think I just lack the wrist flexibility for, though I may also have not have my elbows high enough. Going to try using the crossover grip next time and focus on keeping my elbows more forward.
How many fingers did you have on the bar?

SeanR1221

You just need to work on your wrist flexibility. I don't have any links on hand, but if you search there are tips out there.

Noema

How good is this workout? It looks pretty good to me. I'm looking for something that can add decent strength and size as I have been have little success with my current program.

In 5/3/1, what's the progression for assistance exercises? Do I simply try to add 1-5lb every week?

I add about 5lb per cycle for compound assistance.

MrOogieBoogie

anyone do Overhead Squats? I tried them for the first time last night, and I felt muscles stretch like I've never felt before. And I was using a pussy 30lb short bar..

I find overhead squats so incredibly difficult. It's funny, I saw some dude doing them a few days ago at the gym while I was doing l-sit to handstands on a pair of dumbbells, and both of us were mesmerized by the other. Had a good laugh over it. Don't have the balance for overhead squats, blah.

How many fingers did you have on the bar?

Four, but I see now that I should have used only two... does that sound correct?

You just need to work on your wrist flexibility. I don't have any links on hand, but if you search there are tips out there.

I'll look into it further; I'm working on my flexibility in general for the first time in my life by getting in some solid stretching every other day. Might as well add wrists to that list. Is there a major benefit to the Olympic grip vs the crossover grip?

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
500lb deadlift and then this.

Goddamn.
Thanks! Now I just need a 455lb squat and I will have hit all my short and long-term goals.

45lb muscle up
500lb deadlift
370lb bench
225lb OHP
455lb squat (you're next!)

All at a weight of 185.

SeanR1221

Four, but I see now that I should have used only two... does that sound correct?

I'll look into it further; I'm working on my flexibility in general for the first time in my life by getting in some solid stretching every other day. Might as well add wrists to that list. Is there a major benefit to the Olympic grip vs the crossover grip?

Yup, just use two. Olympic grip is safer. Your fingers shouldn't be pushing up the weight at all, just supporting it on your delts.

Yup, just use two. Olympic grip is safer. Your fingers shouldn't be pushing up the weight at all, just supporting it on your delts.

Alright, I'll give it some more tries. Just was messing around with an empty bar today until I get it into a good groove. First major barbell lift I've learned in years; been doing squats/DL/bench/OHP for so long now I sort of expected to just pick up the bar and front squat easily. I'll get it soon enough.

SeanR1221

Alright, I'll give it some more tries. Just was messing around with an empty bar today until I get it into a good groove. First major barbell lift I've learned in years; been doing squats/DL/bench/OHP for so long now I sort of expected to just pick up the bar and front squat easily. I'll get it soon enough.

And you mentioned it being uncomfortable, it definitely can be :p. the bar tends to press against my neck.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member

The fewer fingers you use the closer your grip is to your shoulders, therefore requiring less wrist flexibility. Just speaking personally, the crossover grip is awkward and unstable. Most seem to agree that the Olympic grip done properly facilitates greater stability/tightness. It also obviously has more crossover to cleans.

agrajag

Banned

Yeah, I tried, but it feels impossible for me. For me it is more of a flexibility issue than balance, I just can't keep my arms up high when I squat, they want to go forward..

MrOogieBoogie

Thanks! Now I just need a 455lb squat and I will have hit all my short and long-term goals.

45lb muscle up
500lb deadlift
370lb bench
225lb OHP
455lb squat (you're next!)

All at a weight of 185.

My fitness goals are ultimately to be a carbon copy of you.

And you mentioned it being uncomfortable, it definitely can be :p. the bar tends to press against my neck.

I didn't have the bar that close; that may have been a part of my issue. Seemed mechanistically difficult having it an inch or more away from my neck. Seems I needed to study some videos a bit more closely.

never mixed my own protein before...any advice GAF?

http://www.truenutrition.com/p-1126-custom-mix.aspx

i think i'm going to go super high grade milk whey > premium chocolate peanut butter cup

are any of the additives there a no brainer or worth my consideration? or the carbs and fats section? nothing sticks out to me but if anyone has any recommendations from that list i wouldn't mind hearing them. i don't want to get too complicated but it never hurts to see if anyone has any particular suggestions.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
531 Deadlift Day was brutal, I don't think I've sweat so much in my life. I need a goddamn massage.

Go_Ly_Dow

So I'm helping a girl who's a complete beginner try and gain some strength.

Was going to start her off with squats and OHP on extremely low weights using a barbell.

What is recommended for arms? She has a very slim physique so I think pull-ups may be pushing it a bit.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Was going to start her off with squats and OHP on extremely low weights using a barbell.

What is recommended for arms? She has a very slim physique so I think pull-ups may be pushing it a bit.

Lat pulldowns, bench the bar, some curly curls perhaps. Tricep extensions.

A lot of gyms have weight assisted pullups that can be brought down in weight until you're able to pull up your own body weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom