• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going with Periodization Bible for my 5/3/1. Got that spark back. Still digesting this little mini donut.

I'm so excited.

Brolic has me doing front squats on deadlift days and snatch grip deadlifts on squat days.

Maybe give that a try?

Never heard of the snatch-grip DL. Is this what you're talking about? Looks exactly like what it sounds like, deadlifting with a snatch-styled grip.

I haven't ever done a front squat, but I'll watch the vid in the OP and give it a shot. Might take a few tries but it looks fun. Fun in the painful sense, but fun.

Visceir

OK FitGAF, I need help with my OHP. I've been doing the standard novice routine for a month (17 workouts so far), and most of the lifts are progressing as expected. My OHP, however, just never really got started, and I'm already stuck at 55 lbs.

Thanks!

I found this video to be quite informative for OHP: 3 Overhead Press Tips

Did 3x5 47.5 kg (105 lbs) OHP today, my thigh cramped up badly on the last rep of the last set, but I pushed through. Felt the after-effects of the cramp throughout the workout. Did some more shoulder exercises, dips and close grip bench, another great workout.

Just wish my body wouldn't cramp up constantly. I do drink plenty of water and have been taking magnesium pills...think it's helping a little but the cramps still happen, oh well.

Fairly confident I can get 50 kg OHP done next time as well. Feeling good :)

blackflag

Brolic has me doing front squats on deadlift days and snatch grip deadlifts on squat days.

Maybe give that a try?

Wow I just looked those up. Seems like it would recruit upper back more. May help me since I have some issues with my hips during deadlift. It's deadlift day maybe I'll try it.

blackflag

Seriously.

abuC, have you also read The Rapid Fat Loss Handbook? Is there one you would recommend over the other if I'm going to buy and read one?

Rapid Fat Loss Handbook is really for emergency type situations where maybe you want to lose weight quick for a wedding, or a military weigh in or something. Not recommended as a regular cutting diet.

sphinx

the piano man
I'm ready brah!

T-minus like 3 hours! AAAAAH! I even ate a mini chocolate donut to get hyped! Fuckin cheat donut!

CHEAT DONUT!

hehe, A donut is cheating? for a 6'7 guy? hihi :D I used to consider a McDonalds Apple pie a cheat thing, like the worst ever and my body was just like "Bitch, please, I'll burn all the shit you give me while you are sleeping, even if you don't work out"

I am at a point where I am lucky to keep my weight, instead of losing it. With stress, the job and this fucking awful 4-7 hours of piano playing daily, fitness has taken a HUGE blow.

I keep going to the gym but it's like I have to fight for that one hour I manage to find for training. Everything is against it right now, no way I can go for PRs like a month or 2 ago, so I am trying my best to keep getting stronger and bigger but I hate to do it like this, I feel like I am fucking around and there's no pride in doing halfassed workouts. Reason why I haven't posted much here...

but once my duties are over in October 18th, it's 5/3/1 time for me.

Visceir said:
I found this video to be quite informative for OHP: 3 Overhead Press Tips

Did 3x5 47.5 kg (105 lbs) OHP today, my thigh cramped up badly on the last rep of the last set, but I pushed through. Felt the after-effects of the cramp throughout the workout. Did some more shoulder exercises, dips and close grip bench, another great workout.

Just wish my body wouldn't cramp up constantly. I do drink plenty of water and have been taking magnesium pills...think it's helping a little but the cramps still happen, oh well.

Fairly confident I can get 50 kg OHP done next time as well. Feeling good :)

eh :D

didn't you post an article that said awful things about OHP?

did you change your mind some days ago or what happened here?

sphinx

the piano man
215lb is really a very low weight to be stalling at.

??? did I read this right??

the guy is 23, 5'5, about 141 lbs, and stalling at 215 (well past intermediate on strstd.com) is "very low weight" ???

holy shit, Noema, you have pretty damn high standards.

Visceir

eh :D

didn't you post an article that said awful things about OHP?

did you change your mind some days ago or what happened here?

Too lazy to go back, but I'm pretty sure there was a discussion on OHP and how neccessary/dangerous it can be, I just posted a link. I don't think it's a neccessary exercise to get nice shoulders, but it's useful to build strenght. Never claimed I wasn't doing them.

blackflag

This may sound like a stupid question but can candy be counted as something to eat when "bulking up"?

it depends on where you are now. If you are skinny why not eat that shit? I eat ice cream everytime I bulk almost every day. Sometimes I eat some candy. Insulin spike is good for building muscle. Watch it if you are fat though.

but no, i'm not saying it's necessary.

Post workout is the perfect time for some gummy bears and jelly beans and shit.

So according to the trainer at the gym, I'm 250lbs @ ~19/20%.

yeah buddy. weight/bf will fluctuate but I believe it is a good baseline to go on.

Noema

??? did I read this right??

the guy is 23, 5'5, about 141 lbs, and stalling at 215 (well past intermediate on strstd.com) is "very low weight" ???

holy shit, Noema, you have pretty damn high standards.

Oops, I missread the part where he said he's 5'5"

o_O

Somehow I read it as 5'9". :(

215lb sounds much more reasonable now.

It's not so much that I have high standards but after seeing my friend progress (who had never touched a weight in his life) so well doing SS I feel people are capable of more than they think they are. My friend squatted 205lb yesterday for 3 sets of 5 after 4 weeks of training, but then again he's 6' and weighs 195lb (with like 35% bodyfat, but chubbier guys usually have an easier time with a linear progression), so it's a different situation.

Drake

Down 41 pounds since the beginning of the year. I went from 245 to 204. My goal weight is 170-175.

I was hitting the gym like crazy, but I wasn't getting the results that I wanted for the longest time. I know that losing weight is 80% diet and 20% exercise, but it really is true. After cleaning up my diet the weight has been melting off.

I was getting stronger for a while, but that has leveled off. Once i hit my goal weight I can focus on strength and muscle building. I do weight training now basically because I enjoy it and it's a good way to burn calories.

J. Bravo

Just had a long shift on my feet running around and babysitting kids at my gym...in bad shoes. I'm starving, tired, head aches, and my neck and back are fucked up.

2 pork chops, buncha mashed potatoes, nilla wafers, vanilla/OJ protein shake, and copious foam rolling...I'm feeling like a new man. Amazing what some food and foam rolling does for your body.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
First night of 5/3/1 murdered me, I feel like I'm wearing a coat of tired muscle. Pretty awesome and super challenging. What a transition! Expecting DOMS tomorrow.

Noema

First night of 5/3/1 murdered me, I feel like I'm wearing a coat of tired muscle. Pretty awesome and super challenging. What a transition! Expecting DOMS tomorrow.

What did you do?

500lb deadlift was a success! Video upcoming...

A3awP.gif

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
What did you do?

OHP, incline bench (which I had never fucked with before, just normal bench...crazy different spot was hit HARD), weighted pullups and dips, tricep extensions.

It's just the volume really shatters what SS had me doing. Fire everywhere. Feels amazing, and I also feel worthless. Tomorrow's gonna rock.

Then, deadlift day on thurs. Welp

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I feel bad for asking this since this is my 11th time attempting this, but exactly where are you supposed to place the barbell when you're doing squats? I keep hearing different things from different people. D:

Noema

I feel bad for asking this since this is my 11th time attempting this, but exactly where are you supposed to place the barbell when you're doing squats? I keep hearing different things from different people. D:

Well, it depends on the type of squat. High bar squats have the bar placed high on the traps, close to the neck.

Low bar squats, which is what is recommended for the program you are doing, have the bar placed much lower. Please watch this video for reference:

http://startingstrength.com/index.php/site/video/platform_the_squat_bar_position

despire

Rapid Fat Loss Handbook is really for emergency type situations where maybe you want to lose weight quick for a wedding, or a military weigh in or something. Not recommended as a regular cutting diet.

It depends IMO. I wouldn't recommend it for most people but I've been doing very well on it. RLFD is the way I've lost most of the 15kg of fat on my cut. And with practically no strength loss though I've been on the chubbier side. You just have to do it absolutely right. But if you are already under 15 bf%, I would use more conventional methods. I was at allmost 30% bf so no way I would've dieted "normally".

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Here's the video of my 500lb deadlift. Shaky legs and all!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8n-XCafNTE&feature=youtu.be

Not sure why your legs were bucking like that. You clearly had more in you. Your bar speed is great.

It and foot position are up to the person. It's something you have to toy with until you find your sweet spot. This is especially true with raw lifting.

abuC

Good to hear you've been seeing such awesome progress lately. That Ultimate Diet 2.0 is the real deal it sounds.

Yeah I highly recommend it to anyone that is trying to cut, the first 2 weeks are really difficult but once you get by that it's smooth sailing.

Seriously.

abuC, have you also read The Rapid Fat Loss Handbook? Is there one you would recommend over the other if I'm going to buy and read one?

I have the book, but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet. From what I understand you run it for a much shorter period of time like 1-2 weeks vs 6-10 weeks of UD 2.0.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Not sure why your legs were bucking like that. You clearly had more in you. Your bar speed is great.

I'm not sure either. Clearly? That's good to hear! I felt great once I got moving. Getting it off the ground was tough!

Jeez. I mean, I know squats and deadlifts don't require any lateral movement, but it's hard to imagine you feel no pain or discomfort while deadlifting that heavy...how did you get used to it?

There is nothing to get used to. I have no pain unless I aggravate it doing an activity or stepping wrong. It sucks! I feel like an old man. It's fine doing squats and deadlifts.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Well, didn't expect a bench PR since I haven't benched in two weeks, but I hit 375lbs today. Also, my beard is coming in nicely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-1esGx8PhE

I'm not sure either. Clearly? That's good to hear! I felt great once I got moving. Getting it off the ground was tough!

There is nothing to get used to. I have no pain unless I aggravate it doing an activity or stepping wrong. It sucks! I feel like an old man. It's fine doing squats and deadlifts.

I think the "hitching (not really hitching)" /spazing out of your legs may be what we touched on earlier a few weeks ago. You're damned near stiff leg deading 500lbs. Your hips jump way before your back/chest ever move. If you nail that your deads are gonna go through the roof.

(This is also why you're feeling it be a "bitch" off the ground, even though that is the hardest part for most people anyway).

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Hm no DOMS with 531. Maybe I'm not pushing myself hard enough.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I think the "hitching (not really hitching)" /spazing out of your legs may be what we touched on earlier a few weeks ago. You're damned near stiff leg deading 500lbs. Your hips jump way before your back/chest ever move. If you nail that your deads are gonna go through the roof.

(This is also why you're feeling it be a "bitch" off the ground, even though that is the hardest part for most people anyway).

Hmm. I've been working on using more lower body. Guess I have some work to do! I have to keep telling myself I'm basically only 2 months in on really doing deadlifts.

I have a friend who lifts, and I'm considering asking him to show me the ropes, but the issue is I'm really weak. I mean, I can only bench the bar basically. It's pathetic, and I want to change, but should I just jump right into lifting, or should I do something else prior?

I just want to lose my excess weight (about 60 pounds), and be a healthier, stronger person. I lost a ton of weight in my past, but ended up looking like a flabby weird skinny mess.

I've never felt good about my body, and I know I have the discipline to change it.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I have a friend who lifts, and I'm considering asking him to show me the ropes, but the issue is I'm really weak. I mean, I can only bench the bar basically. It's pathetic, and I want to change, but should I just jump right into lifting, or should I do something else prior?

I just want to lose my excess weight (about 60 pounds), and be a healthier, stronger person. I lost a ton of weight in my past, but ended up looking like a flabby weird skinny mess.

I've never felt good about my body, and I know I have the discipline to change it.

Losing weight may be what you want to start with to keep the possibility and risk of injury down. Maybe drop 30, 40 lbs and by then you'll be antsy to start lifting and from a beginner's perspective, I recommend Starting Strength routine in the OP as well as keeping your diet in check.

Focusing on diet first is a good way to start to build discipline as well.

J. Bravo

I did not do that. I will do that from here on out.

11. When should I push the max rep sets?

• I usually look at the workouts a month in advance and choose the battles that way…BUT if I feel good on a day I don’t have a scheduled “push” I’ll do it (and adjust the other workouts accordingly).
  • In general, push the “3″ weeks and the “5/3/1″ week.
  • Think about leaving at least 1 full rep in the tank (Jim always leaves 2-3).
  • Sometimes I think people get a little too nuts on the last set and I think many people would be best served if they did the last set for the set reps…or just a few over and call it a day. This is not a license to be a pussy; just understand that we are training for something bigger than today.

Here, found the source, it's a little bit more specific than I was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom