• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Realized this last week but for squats I was way over gripping hence why my wrists hurt. Just now finally got 215 lb squats for 5x3 so freaking hyped right now!. Goin for 220 this Friday and if all goes well hello 2 plates!.

MegalonJJ

Banned
Just wanted to check in with Quest Bar Gaf'fers:

Is it okay to eat them (as dietary supplements i.e. snacks) during a cut?

I'm currently in the process of lowering my bf% and I've found Quest bars pretty damn useful so far, but I just wanted to be sure that they're okay during a cutting process.

I'm currently in the process of lowering my bf% and I've found Quest bars pretty damn useful so far, but I just wanted to be sure that they're okay during a cutting process.

as long as they fit within your macros you should be good

That's basically what they are designed for. They are high-protein and nearly carb free. They are more appropriate for a cut than a bulk, certainly.

abuC

at like 10% ish. Nasty man, I hope you get there.

That would be so good to be at. I think I'm shooting for 240 @ 13% for this summer. Then another year of a slow bulk/cut and try to be 240 @ 10%.

You'll get there!

I like being 230-240lbs, while I look lean I feel skinny at my current weight.

Odd thing about the dude in the picture, he only benched 225lbs 19 times, which seems really low for someone built like that.

time for a long post but I would like to get serious about getting my swole on and I never made a proper introduction post so might as well

Height:5'7
Weight:175
Goal: Wanna look lean and mean. Losing body fat and putting on some mucle is pretty much my biggest goal. I'm around 20% currently
Current Training Schedule:Go to the gym about 3-4 times a day. As with most other idiots I've just been going doing exercises I know without a solid plan. Pretty much just had back/biceps, triceps/shoulder, legs, and chest days
Current Training Equipment Available:Just switch my membership to the ASU gym which has everything I need
Comments:I would really like to start doing the Alternate Full Body workout that the OP has posted but the only probably is that I can't currently squat. While trying to get a handle of the exercises from starting strength I now have a left hip flexor strain. I now make sure to do some light stretching every night and use a foam roller on it, but every attempt to do some very low weight squats just pushes my recovery backt. So I'm making sure to give it plenty time to heal now. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do? Should I just follow the routine without squats or should i substitute some other workouts in the mean time? pretty much all the good beginner programs revolve around squats. Really any help would be appreciated

Another chest session of working to the point of physical exhaustion and still not feeling anything. I have the most stubborn chest in existence. The quest for the pump continues.

sphinx

the piano man
Holy shit guys, did you see what Sphinx did in gaming-side?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=83126437&postcount=27

My hat's off to you Sphinx. God DAMN.

He's either lying about his G&G accomplishments or his pics here in FitGAF are of someone else; no one has the time required to build a body like he has and master G&G at the same time!

hahaha, yes, it's me! look, for the last 2 months or so my morning routine is:

.- wake up
.- prepare coffee
.- gotta go to the toilet, take my coffee with me put it to the side and sit comfortably will I do my needs playing UG&G from the very beginning, after a while I quit the playthrough because I fucked up or if I made it to the end of the "first round" I stop there. I drink coffee each time I pass a stage

I enjoy it soooo much, playing a handheld while in the privacy of the toilet is a blessing, most relaxing thing ever.

and Soka, in 6 Days I have to play over 1 hour of piano music by heart :), so there's more stuff than G&G and Workout!

on the other hand, I refrain from playing GTA, TLOU or anything big... can't get into that now, it's too time consuming

Nice. Can see that you are slowly getting there

thanks! yeah, there are changes,

yesterday was a very succesful squat day, I broke another PR, this time 210 lbs. 5X3, assistance was pistol squats and leg extensions, so my dear quads took a beating.

I know I just posted a pic but I just made this and I kinda liked it and wanted to share, I promise I'll talk more about strength instead of spamming pics from now on.

I think I do look a bit bulkier from the lower body compared to some months back, quads are a bit rounder. I love that, that's what I complimented Soka on, Quads to the side = proof of consistent leg days, love it. I still have a lot to work on but I am pleased for now.

quadssept2013_zps7fbf041c.jpg

You don't look bad at all. An 8 day crash diet or boot camp will give you probably quite nice definition, and like FE suggests do tons of push ups / pull ups right before shooting to give you the upper body pump for the pics with muscles filled with blood. Cut all salt and carbs to dehydrate, and no alcohol except hard liquor to help you dehydrate more. Hit the sunbed for a tan and get some oil.

During the 8 days I would not bother with trying to build muscle, just do tons of cardio and a really strict diet will do the trick.

Post before / afters!

And after this start to hit the weights, you have a nice lean frame to build on.
For the salt/carbs, is that all 7 days leading up to the shoot? Or just the night before or on that day?

Yeah, I'd love to hit the weights. Going to the gym is really difficult at this point. I'll probably invest in a nice pair for home.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Does anyone practice any sort of visualization of their workouts? I tried it last night - went through my workout in my head, playing out each work set, and this morning I blew through them with no problem. It was pretty cool

Yeah, I actually did this for 2 full months before attempting the 600lb pull. It went exactly as I had visualized it. I honestly believe it works.

PR on squat today. Felt good after having a minor setback in OHP on friday where I put up a PR but tweaked my neck/shoulder in the process.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Solid chest day! Probably the best 4 sets I've ever had actually.

255x10
275x8
295x6
315x5

Does anyone practice any sort of visualization of their workouts? I tried it last night - went through my workout in my head, playing out each work set, and this morning I blew through them with no problem. It was pretty cool

this is a common motivational technique and you shouldn't just do it in lifting, but in basically anything performance based you have time to prepare for

PR on squat today. Felt good after having a minor setback in OHP on friday where I put up a PR but tweaked my neck/shoulder in the process.

Been there man. You have to be cognizant of what your neck and traps are doing at all time, or you start straining, and just as you notice, POP! Out for a week.

I put up a PR on OHP myself today, 145x1. It went up pretty easy so I thought I had 150 in me but nope :p Probably could've done 147.5 maybe?

Actually I have been wanting to get a set of fractional plates for my wife (she's up around 80lbs OHP and it's getting hard, I don't think she'll be able to go from 85 to 90 effectively). Any recommendations? I think a pair of .5s and 1s would do us but I'm open suggestions.

MegalonJJ

Banned
Ok gentlemen, I've got one more Quest bar question.

I heated it up in the microwave for 15secs and whilst it was godtier, the bottom part of the bar was stuck to the plate. Any recommendations on how to best heat them up?

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I think I already know the answer to this, but just to check: when doing SS, is it okay to add a little extra weight beyond the normal incremental increase? I started DL on my last workout and used a weight lower than I normally would've in order to get accustomed to the lift form and procedure. Today, I added 20lbs only on DL instead of the 10lbs I've been adding on the other lifts and it felt fine. I don't plan on going up this much each time, but wanted to get a better idea of what I was comfortable with.

Ok gentlemen, I've got one more Quest bar question.

I heated it up in the microwave for 15secs and whilst it was godtier, the bottom part of the bar was stuck to the plate. Any recommendations on how to best heat them up?

In my experience, they stick to literally everything -- saran wrap, wax paper, ceramic, glass, paper towels, etc. It's mildly disturbing.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
A good watch. But why do you not mention Bill Kazmaier or Jon Pall "I AM THE VIKING! I BLOODY TOLD YOU!" Smigmarsson? I can't find the exact quote, but this story about Kaz is hilarious (and probably not true).

I just copy + pasted from the description. That goldfish clip was fantastic. Over 1k...ridiculous.

TopDreg

I think I already know the answer to this, but just to check: when doing SS, is it okay to add a little extra weight beyond the normal incremental increase? I started DL on my last workout and used a weight lower than I normally would've in order to get accustomed to the lift form and procedure. Today, I added 20lbs only on DL instead of the 10lbs I've been adding on the other lifts and it felt fine. I don't plan on going up this much each time, but wanted to get a better idea of what I was comfortable with.

Mark Rippetoe mentions in the SS book that 15-20 lb increases on DL and 10 lb increases on the squat are expected and fine in the first few weeks of the program. I weight about 161 lbs (14%ish bodyfat I think) and I was able to increase the deadlift by 15-20 lbs each time until I got to 225 lbs on the deadlift, after which I've been increasing in 10 lb increments. I'm at 250 lbs on DL now, and the DL feels way too heavy now to increase by 15-20 lbs.

abuC

Just got back in from cycling (no roids) and I need to wear gloves it was cold as fuck once I got up to a decent speed.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Even if you do it's probably not that. I have short arms, hell I have damn near short everything. You probably have mobility issues.

I cannot STAND Elliot, or that dude that biscuit always post. Absolutely cannot stomach their shit.

I stand at the bar bend at the waist grab the bar, then bring my shins to the bar.

I'm about to add THIS to my setup though which I haven't been doing and will probably give me a bit more to the weight.

http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/deadlift-starting-position/

This is how you should be setting up. IMO. I was doing everything JL says except for "pulling myself down."

Yes, lower yourself as slow as possible until failure then throw yourself up and go again.

God fucking, dammit. I hate it that I STILL can't be consistent with my deadlift form.

Tried so hard imitating the starting position that Alien posted here, and all it did was cause my lower back to be sore after my sets, so I know I didn't do it correctly. I usually tighten my lower back and squat down to grab the bar, but I see people bend at the hips first so often that I really wanted to try it that way today, but felt like I failed miserably.

This lift! It eludes me so!

Noema

Mark Rippetoe mentions in the SS book that 15-20 lb increases on DL and 10 lb increases on the squat are expected and fine in the first few weeks of the program. I weight about 161 lbs (14%ish bodyfat I think) and I was able to increase the deadlift by 15-20 lbs each time until I got to 225 lbs on the deadlift, after which I've been increasing in 10 lb increments. I'm at 250 lbs on DL now, and the DL feels way too heavy now to increase by 15-20 lbs.

Yeah, 15-20lb increments on the Deadlift are not only okay but also desirable. You can also keep adding 10lb to the squat per session for a while. After it starts getting heavy enough that you might miss a rep, lower your increments to 5lb.

Cudder

Ok I got terrible news. Apparently I can't do shit right because of my body limitations

I can't do real squats- only on smith machine is it possible
Bench pressing is a problem because I can't have the perfect form
Deadlift, same form problem

I got problems with the form with pretty much everything. Machines are my best friend here

So my question is:

Will I be able to build solid muscle with not so heavy weight?

You can't squat because of body limitations, so you're going to do squats on a smith machine to limit yourself even more? Doesn't sound right.

Epic day at the gym!

BW 182 lb
Squat 300x3x5 GO! It wasn't hard, but my energy levels are low
Bench Press 192.5 5/4/3 Last set I did some weird movements with the bar.
Chin ups 3x5 BW+15 GO! :D

Overall a good day for a cutting diet

Epic day at the gym!

BW 182 lb
Squat 300x3x5 GO! It wasn't hard, but my energy levels are low
Bench Press 192.5 5/4/3 Last set I did some weird movements with the bar.
Chin ups 3x5 BW+15 GO! :D

Overall a good day for a cutting diet

Nice job man, how long are you cutting for?

Having tested my 1RMs this week I'm now switching to a PSMF starting TODAY for ONE MONTH until my cruise. Appreciate the critiques on the deadlift and squat vids I posted, I think after this I will buy a belt.

Results:

BW 170

Deadlift 1x340
Bench 1x225
Squat 1x335
OHP 1x145

Hoping to hit 159.9 and a 4-pack, enjoy showing my new abs off to the Disney Princesses, and then switching to a nice slow clean bulk.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
531 tonight and I only got 3 hours of sleep. Fuck this planet.

Been there man. You have to be cognizant of what your neck and traps are doing at all time, or you start straining, and just as you notice, POP! Out for a week.

I put up a PR on OHP myself today, 145x1. It went up pretty easy so I thought I had 150 in me but nope :p Probably could've done 147.5 maybe?

Actually I have been wanting to get a set of fractional plates for my wife (she's up around 80lbs OHP and it's getting hard, I don't think she'll be able to go from 85 to 90 effectively). Any recommendations? I think a pair of .5s and 1s would do us but I'm open suggestions.

I was fuming mad when it happened on friday because I knew I could have easily finished out the set. I'll just have to learn from it I suppose.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
God fucking, dammit. I hate it that I STILL can't be consistent with my deadlift form.

Tried so hard imitating the starting position that Alien posted here, and all it did was cause my lower back to be sore after my sets, so I know I didn't do it correctly. I usually tighten my lower back and squat down to grab the bar, but I see people bend at the hips first so often that I really wanted to try it that way today, but felt like I failed miserably.

This lift! It eludes me so!

It's quite possible your lower back is just weak as all hell. Also, you're still gonna feel it in your lower back. I feel it in mine every time.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I hit 180lb on DL yesterday. I was happy as fuck, and it's the first time I've felt "it" after doing deadlifts. Felt gooooood.

95lb Bench was hard as fuck but I got it up, 3x5. Squats at 120...first set was shaky but after I got myself mentally there (first lift, afterall) the last two sets went smoothly. I might go up to 125lb on the next workout. My short-term milestones I really want are 80 OHP, 200 DL, 150 Squats. I'm hoping get those up successfully within the next month

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I hit 180lb on DL yesterday. I was happy as fuck, and it's the first time I've felt "it" after doing deadlifts. Felt gooooood.

95lb Bench was hard as fuck but I got it up, 3x5. Squats at 120...first set was shaky but after I got myself mentally there (first lift, afterall) the last two sets went smoothly. I might go up to 125lb on the next workout. My short-term milestones I really want are 80 OHP, 200 DL, 150 Squats. I'm hoping get those up successfully within the next month

It?

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
As in, most of my body felt like it was...not on fire, but a soreness. The same "it" you were telling MrOogie about a couple posts above. Prior to that I only felt it in my lower back slightly, I think prior to yesterday I was being too conservative about deadlifts when it came to weight.

Also, are you the same guy that used to run heavy in the Gears of War threads on the Gaming side?

You'll get there!

I like being 230-240lbs, while I look lean I feel skinny at my current weight.

Odd thing about the dude in the picture, he only benched 225lbs 19 times, which seems really low for someone built like that.

Yeah, I want to stay at a somewhat lean 240. I need to get to 260/265 first though.

You should post up some pics man. Would love to see your progress.

Vio-Lence

Banned
531 tonight and I only got 3 hours of sleep. Fuck this planet.

perfect recipe for Wendler's "I'm not doing jack shit today" protocol. do the big lift today, and skip the assistance crap and go home.

Or just skip the workout today and go tomorrow when you are feeling better.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
perfect recipe for Wendler's "I'm not doing jack shit today" protocol. do the big lift today, and skip the assistance crap and go home.

Or just skip the workout today and go tomorrow when you are feeling better.

I might flick the calculator to I'm Not Doing Jack Shit depending on how I feel when it's gym time. I might feel good when the time comes around, who knows. Good plan though, thanks.

deadbeef

I might flick the calculator to I'm Not Doing Jack Shit depending on how I feel when it's gym time. I might feel good when the time comes around, who knows. Good plan though, thanks.

You don't have to change the calculator, just don't do any assistance, haha

Exis

The last two workouts were really notable in that for the first time I was able to do 'heavy' (235lb) deadlifts without losing my grip!

So excited over something so simple.

Plus I hit my goal weight down 45 pounds total, I have another 30 to go but am giving that year.

Cooper

Today was exactly six weeks into my program, and my session went well. Today's lifts were

Squat, 135x5x3
BP, 70x5x3
assisted chin-ups

At 135 pounds, the squat was just above my body weight of 130 pounds. More importantly, it means I can use the 45s for something besides deadlifts. Victory!

Next workout I'll deload the OHP and reset. On to the next six weeks!

J. Bravo

I don't know how to feel about today. On the one hand, I had a great deadlift workout, and introduced deficit deads into my exercises. On the other hand, the deficit deads were done at my BBB weight and reps (5x10 @ 205), and even though I only did 2 sets, I nearly passed out after each one.

Whatever, got it done, and am stronger for it.

Visceir

Tried 50 kg (110 lbs) OHP today, only managed to do 3x4. I could have probably pushed through for the 5th one, but I felt like I was about to snap something in my lower back. Think I need to do more work on my lower back....I guess a belt would also be an option, but I'll just try to introduce some lower back/core exercises to my workout first.

Got a recommendation for a good masseuse today, a good proper massage is long overdue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom