• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadybiz

You might not be the only one. I haven't calculated my calories and macros because I lack the time :\ It might be affecting my lift progression:

I was astounded, myself. My typical day looks like this:

Breakfast
  • Banana
  • 2 large hard boiled eggs
Lunch:
  • Chicken breast w/ white rice. Soy sauce on top
Post workout:
  • 2 scoops protein powder with chocolate milk
Dinner:
  • ~10oz steak
  • Mixed vegetables
  • Some white rice
  • Can of soup
All this comes to around 1,600 calories...I had no idea it would be so little. I'm thinking a couple more eggs, another protein drink, and maybe a couple spoonfuls of peanut butter should get me there.

Chocobro

How much are you eating? Can you give is a couple day sample. Be specific.

Sure. Below are today's meal:
8:15-8:45 Breakfast: bowl of sushi rice (slightly overfilled Chinese bowl) with leftover tomatoes (equivalent to about maybe 1.5 - 2 diced tomato), one scrambled egg, some leftover tofu meat, glass of water, and a cup of coffee.
12-12:40 Lunch: Eel (about 1/4 of the bowl if I were to use the above pic as reference), about 3/4 bowl of sushi rice, some (1/3 Chinese bowl) potato salad, some sort of...Japanese seaweed dish.
Snack after the gym: Banana (had it at 4:30), [glass of milk and a teaspoon of peanut better at 5:15 when I got home].
7-7:40 Dinner: 3/4 bowl of rice with a slice of sweet potato, six...pieces of asparagus (in the background of the previous link), some broccoli and earlier-mentioned seaweed, salmon (big file after the edit), and a bowl of soup (partially visible in two pictures). 1/4 Pitaya
I'm currently drinking a glass of milk.

Yesterday's was, to the best of my memory because I was mentally invested in correcting the lab report:
Breakfast: Fried rice with one fried egg, lettuce and pork (total amount of pork is about the size of my palm, bad reference, I know :\ ). That totals about two full bowls. A cup of coffee, multi-vitamins.
Lunch: If you look at the pic with the slice of sweet potato, there are two large bowls almost in-line with the bowl of rice. I had rice noodles, three pieces of pork chops (each about 2.5 inch x 2.5 inch x 0.33 inch), some lettuce. All that went up about 1/3 way of that large bowl.
Dinner: Roughly the same as today but instead of salmon, I had one side of another kind of fish which I need to find the English translation of. Pineapple and a banana.

Some notes: Before every breakfast I have a glass of water, after each breakfast I have some multi-vitamins. My lunch on M/W/Th is in a Japanese bento box and I'm full after finishing it all. On workout days (M/W/F), I have a teaspoon of peanut butter after I get home. I there are days I forget to drink milk.

Maybe I'll take pictures of my meals like I did during today's dinner.

EDIT: Edits are in italics.

I've been doing Starting Strength for quite a long time, and I want to add a short arm routine at the end of each time (triceps for my A day/biceps for B). Any ideas?

You'll hit triceps good enough with 2xBench every week, so if you want some optional arm work it's enough to just do some biceps on Friday.

But keep in mind that arm work isn't part of Starting Strength to begin with.

went back to IF diet and started working out fasted. Week 1 of 5/3/1 Bench Press and already having a hard time. lol

kinda worried I'll fail on week 2

Noema

I've been doing Starting Strength for quite a long time, and I want to add a short arm routine at the end of each time (triceps for my A day/biceps for B). Any ideas?

I'd do behind the head lying triceps extensions on A day and straight bar curls on day B. Just don't over do it.

Treat it as a dessert of sorts.

Noema

Sure. Below are today's meal:
8:15-8:45 Breakfast: bowl of sushi rice (slightly overfilled Chinese bowl) with leftover tomatoes (equivalent to about maybe 1.5 - 2 diced tomato), one scrambled egg, some leftover tofu meat, glass of water, and a cup of coffee.
12-12:40 Lunch: Eel (about 1/4 of the bowl if I were to use the above pic as reference), about 3/4 bowl of sushi rice, some (1/3 Chinese bowl) potato salad, some sort of...Japanese seaweed dish.
Snack after the gym: Banana (had it at 4:30), [glass of milk and a teaspoon of peanut better at 5:15 when I got home].
7-7:40 Dinner: 3/4 bowl of rice with a slice of sweet potato, six...pieces of asparagus (in the background of the previous link), some broccoli and earlier-mentioned seaweed, salmon (big file after the edit), and a bowl of soup (partially visible in two pictures). 1/4 Pitaya
I'm currently drinking a glass of milk.

Yesterday's was, to the best of my memory because I was mentally invested in correcting the lab report:
Breakfast: Fried rice with one fried egg, lettuce and pork (total amount of pork is about the size of my palm, bad reference, I know :\ ). That totals about two full bowls. A cup of coffee, multi-vitamins.
Lunch: If you look at the pic with the slice of sweet potato, there are two large bowls almost in-line with the bowl of rice. I had rice noodles, three pieces of pork chops (each about 2.5 inch x 2.5 inch x 0.33 inch), some lettuce. All that went up about 1/3 way of that large bowl.
Dinner: Roughly the same as today but instead of salmon, I had one side of another kind of fish which I need to find the English translation of. Pineapple and a banana.

Some notes: Before every breakfast I have a glass of water, after each breakfast I have some multi-vitamins. My lunch on M/W/Th is in a Japanese bento box and I'm full after finishing it all. On workout days (M/W/F), I have a teaspoon of peanut butter after I get home. I there are days I forget to drink milk.

Maybe I'll take pictures of my meals like I did during today's dinner.

EDIT: Edits are in italics.

Chocobro, you gotta eat more my friend. There's no way around it. In particular your protein intake seems to be very low.

Just to give you a reference of what I eat in comparison, this is a typical day for me:

Breakfast:

6 whole eggs, 1 large baked potato with butter, 1 scoop whey protein mixed in water, fruit and cottage cheese

Post-workout

1 scoop of whey

Lunch

2 cans of tuna with 1 cup of rice OR a steak OR chicken breast OR about 200g fish (usually tilapia) and a baked potato with veggies.

Afternoon

1 liter of milk with whey

dinner

6 whole eggs with a baked potato

Now, I'm not saying that you should eat the same quantity of food as I do, but it should give you an idea of what sort of things you should be eating.

abuC

One arm lat pulldowns are the stuff of dreams, the burn is great and alternating between each side without a break is "Painnnnnn" - Clubber Lang

abuC

Carb up in t-minus 8 hours

the-kansas-state-wildcats-o.gif

I went even lower with my carbs this week and actually did some steady state cardio, so the machine demands carbs.

J. Bravo

Ever since I stopped eating fast food in order to save some money, I've been lethargic and unable to play basketball. Apparently, that's where most of my calories came from. What are some cheap, calorie dense foods I can buy at the store?

HORRORSHØW

Any vegetarians/vegans in here trying to add mass? Can I get some tips? I eat peanut butter and eggs mostly as my protein source, but I feel like it's not nearly enough. Here's a picture of me a few months back. I would like to add about 10lbs of muscle. What's the best course of action?

CZvtOqT.jpg

Grimløck;83763347 said:
Any vegetarians/vegans in here trying to add mass? Can I get some tips? I eat peanut butter and eggs mostly as my protein source, but I feel like it's not nearly enough. Here's a picture of me a few months back. I would like to add about 10lbs of muscle. What's the best course of action?

CZvtOqT.jpg

add chicken, tuna, steak, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, salmon and probably some protein shakes to your diet. Your going to have to give us an idea of what you usually eat on a normal day to get some help

HORRORSHØW

add chicken, tuna, steak, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, salmon and probably some protein shakes to your diet. Your going to have to give us an idea of what you usually eat on a normal day to get some help
I'm a vegetarian. Actually, I'm a pescatarian so I do eat some fish (not much because of the mercury) and eggs and peanut butter. I cannot stand cottage cheese. I tried every which way to get my casein via cottage cheese, but that stuff makes me want to wretch.

My usual diet:
Breakfast -- 2 bowls of oatmeal and a banana.

Snack -- Veggie shake (large bowl of salad, handful of carrots, cucumber, grapefruit, banana, and slice of ginger), and a few spoonfuls of peanut butter. Maybe a latte when I'm at school.

Lunch -- Brown rice with small assortment of food (I'm Korean so I'll typically eat Korean food like kimchi and stuff).

Dinner -- Brown rice with 2 eggs.

Calorie wise, that does not seem like much, huh?

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I too had my mind blown about how little I was eating after I actually started counting calories (I was one of those guys always complaining about not gaining weight despite "eating everything," yeah right!). Nowadays I log every little thing I eat, and I actually get anxious if I don't. But it keeps me focused, and honestly, it's part of my daily routine now much like anything. Also, I weigh everything to be as precise as possible. A digital kitchen scale is one of the most important tools a bodybuilder (or anyone trying to gain/maintain/lose weight) can have. It's amazing for stuff like cereal, oatmeal, peanut butter, cottage cheese, chicken breasts, etc.

I'm currently eating between 3200-3400 calories/day, and it's a part-time job almost. I never eat until I'm "full"; instead I eat about 6-8 small/medium meals over the course of a day. Here's what my diet consisted of today:

Breakfast
Plain bagel w/ three large eggs (cooked with a tbsp of butter and topped with feta cheese)
1 cup Kashi GoLean cereal w/ 1 cup whole milk

Pre-workout snack
1 whole orange

Post-workout snack/lunch
Handful of raw almonds (200 calories)
Shake (1 cup 2% milk + 1.25 cups oatmeal + 1 scoop whey)
2 slices toasted cinnamon raisin bread w/ 1/4 cup fat-free cottage cheese
1 cup shredded wheat cereal + 1/2 cup 2% milk

Evening snack
1 baked Idaho potato (0.45lb)

Dinner
6.5oz grilled chicken breast
1 baked Idaho potato (0.35lb)

Midnight snack
1.25 cups oatmeal + water
1 slice toasted cinnamon raisin bread w/ 1 tbsp natty peanut butter

All told, this gives me a total of ~3250 calories. Macros are as follows:

Fat: ~90
Carbs: ~440
Protein: ~200

My goal is to hit at least 145g protein/day and at least 75g fat/day. The rest goes to carbs or even more protein/fat, but those minimums are my only "requirements."

Numbers are great motivation for me.

Dilli666

Grimløck;83763347 said:

CZvtOqT.jpg

My local discounters (Aldi in Germany) are selling various soy or tofu products which are 100% vegetarian. We're often buying soy / wheat protein sausages which are 27g protein; 3g carbs; 10g fat per 100g.
Maybe you can find something similar?

Noema

Grimløck;83763347 said:

CZvtOqT.jpg

Dairy and eggs are your friends (if you do consume dairy). Have you tried cottage cheese with fruit (Apples or Cantaloupe?). I don't really like Cottage cheese by itself, but when combined with the aforementioned fruits it's like mana from heaven.

That plus something like Starting Strength which focuses on heavy compound barbell lifts.

Ever since I stopped eating fast food in order to save some money, I've been lethargic and unable to play basketball. Apparently, that's where most of my calories came from. What are some cheap, calorie dense foods I can buy at the store?

You probably need to make up for all the carbs you used to get from the fast food.

I suggest potatoes. Bake them in the Microwave and douse them with butter.

That's like my favorite food in the world right now.

HORRORSHØW

My local discounters (Aldi in Germany) are selling various soy or tofu products which are 100% vegetarian. We're often buying soy / wheat protein sausages which are 27g protein; 3g carbs; 10g fat per 100g.
Maybe you can find something similar?

Is there any truth to the notion that eating large amounts of soy raises estrogen levels? I'm not sure if that's strictly a myth, but I don't want to lower testosterone levels by eating a bunch of tofu.

Dairy and eggs are your friends (if you do consume dairy). Have you tried cottage cheese with fruit (Apples or Cantaloupe?). I don't really like Cottage cheese by itself, but when combined with the aforementioned fruits it's like mana from heaven.

That plus something like Starting Strength which focuses on heavy compound barbell lifts.
I try to limit how many eggs I eat a day because of my cholesterol levels. No milk for me. I guess I'll try cottage cheese again with the fruits you suggested. I think I can add some more nuts to my diet, too.

I just googled Starting Strength and I think that could be a big help, actually. Thanks for the suggestion. Cheers.

Shiloa

Grimløck;83763347 said:

CZvtOqT.jpg

Easiest way I find is to have milk with protein powder. Loadsa protein and calories, real easy.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Grimløck;83763347 said:

CZvtOqT.jpg

Time, training, feeding and sleeping. If that's too much work, anabolic steroids and a little bit of effort.

He's asking for vegetarian/vegan tips

Pretty much falls under anything else.

Eat what you can to meet your goals. There's not a "trick." Not that I'm telling you what you don't already know.

Peanut butter, chips, candy bars, soda, cookies, candy, etc.

Ran over 10km for the first ever time nonstop today. Surprisingly I wasn't even tired at the end...could have easily kept going. Might have to try for more next week.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Man, my 531 legs day makes me sweat an insane amount compared to arms/chest work. Jeezus the amount of sweat. Fuck legs! Not really but goddamn.

Nothing makes you feel like a weenie like legs that don't work well anymore.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Putting a bid in for that house with the huge garage and basement. Home gym in my future. Probably "distant" future depending on how long it takes to sell my current house.

Man, my 531 legs day makes me sweat an insane amount compared to arms/chest work. Jeezus the amount of sweat. Fuck legs! Not really but goddamn.

Nothing makes you feel like a weenie like legs that don't work well anymore.

That and a roasted back will do it every time.

Ran over 10km for the first ever time nonstop today. Surprisingly I wasn't even tired at the end...could have easily kept going. Might have to try for more next week.

I've been looking into doing a lot more cardio and hiit during my upcoming bulk. Sure it drains calories, but any excuse to eat more is cool with me!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Putting a bid in for that house with the huge garage and basement. Home gym in my future. Probably "distant" future depending on how long it takes to sell my current house.

That and a roasted back will do it every time.

Dope, you using a Realtor or doing a FSBO? I ask because I'm in that business. :/

Also when my back is shot to shit, I walk around like an old man but I can punch holes in walls. So I'm okay with that. Just don't make me chase someone. Took the dog for a walk after I got back and I felt like crawling up the 3 flights of stairs to my place.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Dope, you using a Realtor or doing a FSBO? I ask because I'm in that business. :/

Also when my back is shot to shit, I walk around like an old man but I can punch holes in walls. So I'm okay with that. Just don't make me chase someone. Took the dog for a walk after I got back and I felt like crawling up the 3 flights of stairs to my place.

Realtor that the family knows. The house I'm in now was FSBO. Oh, you mean for me selling my house? I'm using the same realtor that found us the house we're buying.

I hate when I stretch and I get a cramp in my lats. Happens way too often.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Realtor that the family knows.

Good call. If it's someone your family knows they will actually bust ass for you guys. It's kinda sad, in my area (around 4k agents) I have a list of people to NOT do business with that I'll give to my friends and family. There's a lot of people out there that have no business selling homes to people, whether they're slimy or just dipshits.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Good call. If it's someone your family knows they will actually bust ass for you guys. It's kinda sad, in my area (around 4k agents) I have a list of people to NOT do business with that I'll give to my friends and family. There's a lot of people out there that have no business selling homes to people, whether they're slimy or just dipshits.

The one I'm working with was as brutal if not MORE brutal than I was regarding houses we looked at, and we looked at around 6-7 houses in the last two weeks. This last one was a beauty. It's one of those upper middle class fancy houses in a fancy neighborhood houses.

Really excited to start piecing my gym together in there.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The one I'm working with was as brutal if not MORE brutal than I was regarding houses we looked at, and we looked at around 6-7 houses in the last two weeks. This last one was a beauty. It's one of those upper middle class fancy houses in a fancy neighborhood houses.

Really excited to start piecing my gym together in there.

Sounds fantastic. Realtors do good work if you get a good one - save a lot of pains in the asses. I'm the kind of guy who just wants to get shit DONE and not waste time, so I'm a Realtor's dream client - if the Realtor also feels the same.

There's a bunch of oldster Realtors out there who think getting someone matched up with a house should take more than six months, which is fucking ridiculous. Two parties in it that just want to jerk around.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Sounds fantastic. Realtors do good work if you get a good one - save a lot of pains in the asses. I'm the kind of guy who just wants to get shit DONE and not waste time, so I'm a Realtor's dream client - if the Realtor also feels the same.

There's a bunch of oldster Realtors out there who think getting someone matched up with a house should take more than six months, which is fucking ridiculous. Two parties in it that just want to jerk around.

Good luck Brolic!!

Thanks guys, the funny thing is when I showed up to look at the house and my big bearded ass got out of the car I got some really funny looks.

Just wait until they see me hauling some farmers walk handles loaded with plates up and down the street.

I wonder if I drop the property value of the neighborhood, lol.

Grimløck;83764001 said:
I'm a vegetarian. Actually, I'm a pescatarian so I do eat some fish (not much because of the mercury) and eggs and peanut butter. I cannot stand cottage cheese. I tried every which way to get my casein via cottage cheese, but that stuff makes me want to wretch.

My usual diet:

Snack -- Veggie shake (large bowl of salad, handful of carrots, cucumber, grapefruit, banana, and slice of ginger), and a few spoonfuls of peanut butter. Maybe a latte when I'm at school.

Lunch -- Brown rice with small assortment of food (I'm Korean so I'll typically eat Korean food like kimchi and stuff).

Dinner -- Brown rice with 2 eggs.

Calorie wise, that does not seem like much, huh?

Milk, whey, greek yogurt, and if you can fish. I believe if you aren't eating too much tuna, you don't have to work about mercury levels. But yeah, it looks like a whey supplement will be your best bet.

MjFrancis

Welp, there goes the neighborhood. Brolic is moving in and in no time at all he'll be shotputting 100 lbs dumbbells through windows.
I can - and did - picture this, and I laughed maybe a little too loud at it!

Brolic reminded me that I also need want to buy some farmer's walk handles someday. Or maybe a prowler. My neighbors would love it if I pushed a prowler down the street.

The worst wrath I expose the neighborhood to is lifting without a shirt, garage door open and blasting metal music. The kind old lady from next door showed up with a basket of vegetables from her garden once while I was in the middle of a set like this. She only does this when I'm at work now.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I can - and did - picture this, and I laughed maybe a little too loud at it!

Brolic reminded me that I also need want to buy some farmer's walk handles someday. Or maybe a prowler. My neighbors would love it if I pushed a prowler down the street.

The worst wrath I expose the neighborhood to is lifting without a shirt, garage door open and blasting metal music. The kind old lady from next door showed up with a basket of vegetables from her garden once while I was in the middle of a set like this. She only does this when I'm at work now.

lol, get a raggedy ass prowler to push down that street. wake everyone up.

MjFrancis

There's a Skilz sled on my local craigslist for $70 obo! I think that fits the bill for a raggedy ass prowler capable of waking my neighbors.

They should be glad I don't train before work, I've been leaving the house at 12:30am and getting home around 3:00pm for two weeks now.

Imm0rt4l

Grimløck;83764001 said:

My usual diet:

try adding cottage cheese to your eggs and maybe some salsa. Shout out to Rando for this tip.

Tilapia is good and relatively cheap. I really like Salmon but it's kinda expensive. Beans are great for fiber and some protein, some believe adding rice with your beans gives you a complete protein. Not sure if studies have found this to be conclusive though. Flaxseed is said to complete some 'incomplete' proteins as well iirc.

Goddamn I suck at balancing college with lifting. Always wind up losing so much sleep to finish work, and then I either perform like shit next lifting day or just plain miss workouts cause I sleep through classes and make my subsequent work harder.

How have I survived this many years here....

keezy

Goddamn I suck at balancing college with lifting. Always wind up losing so much sleep to finish work, and then I either perform like shit next lifting day or just plain miss workouts cause I sleep through classes and make my subsequent work harder.

How have I survived this many years here....

Wait until you start working.

Shit I have to deal with at my gym. Think I might not renew my contract.

We no longer have any dumbbells from 100-120 that can be used because they've all been taken apart/removed.

It's been like this since January.

sphinx

the piano man
the other day something nice happened in my gym,

two guys went into this closed are that is designed for boxing, they took their shirts off and the one guy, who is probably the biggest, most impressive, most muscular guy in the gym was teaching the other guy, who was also pretty advanced but smaller and younger how to pose and choregraphy (is it called like that? you know, what pro bodybuilders do to show their gains in competitions)

if it had been two newbies doing that, I had rolled my eyes to the moon and back but the big guy really, really knew his stuff and clearly wasn't in for the show in the gym, he was really meaning to show the other guy what he does when he competes, nothing else.

I'd never seen anyone work on posing routines or choreography, ever, maybe because 95% of the guys working out will never step anywhere near a bodybuilding stage.

I thought it was pretty badass.

has anyone here at a high level practiced some posing routines?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Shit I have to deal with at my gym. Think I might not renew my contract.

We no longer have any dumbbells from 100-120 that can be used because they've all been taken apart/removed.

It's been like this since January.

So fucking shitty. And to think, I got mad some shitbird *hid* our 75s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom