• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
time for a long post but I would like to get serious about getting my swole on and I never made a proper introduction post so might as well

Height:5'7
Weight:175
Goal: Wanna look lean and mean. Losing body fat and putting on some mucle is pretty much my biggest goal. I'm around 20% currently
Current Training Schedule:Go to the gym about 3-4 times a day. As with most other idiots I've just been going doing exercises I know without a solid plan. Pretty much just had back/biceps, triceps/shoulder, legs, and chest days
Current Training Equipment Available:Just switch my membership to the ASU gym which has everything I need
Comments:I would really like to start doing the Alternate Full Body workout that the OP has posted but the only probably is that I can't currently squat. While trying to get a handle of the exercises from starting strength I now have a left hip flexor strain. I now make sure to do some light stretching every night and use a foam roller on it, but every attempt to do some very low weight squats just pushes my recovery backt. So I'm making sure to give it plenty time to heal now. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do? Should I just follow the routine without squats or should i substitute some other workouts in the mean time? pretty much all the good beginner programs revolve around squats. Really any help would be appreciated

anyone? :-/

blackflag

A fellow AZ brah and Raiders fan? I'd help you if I could but I'd say rest your lower body and just do physical therapy on it until it's completely recovered.

A fellow AZ brah and Raiders fan? I'd help you if I could but I'd say rest your lower body and just do physical therapy on it until it's completely recovered.

Yeah all my family is from Cali and I was born in LA so all my teams are Raiders, Lakers, Dodgers, and Kings. I have no problem doing deadlifts its just the squats that kill me

Cudder

New shipping improvements from bodybuilding.com!!

FREE SHIPPING SEPTEMBER 22-30
We’ve made major shipping improvements, and we want the chance to prove it to you. For a limited time, we’re treating our Canadian customers to free Super Saver Shipping on all orders over $49, so you can experience our new, 2x faster delivery times. Simply shop our Canadian catalog and choose Super Saver shipping at checkout.

Faster, Cheaper Shipping Every Day

Even after this offer ends, our shipping rates will be lower throughout Canada. You don’t have to buy in bulk to cut down on shipping costs: save on orders big and small. And 2x faster delivery is here to stay!

Real Deals

We know that we’ve been putting promotions in our Canadian catalog that aren’t valid in Canada. Those days are over! When you see a sweet deal, click with confidence.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Ate my last Quest bar today, my 6 boxes lasted throught the summer.

Thinking of taking a small break off them, they are just too easy to grab from the fridge. Here's my top list after the summer.

GREAT

1. Cookie dough
2. White chocolate
4. Apple Pie
5. Coconut
6. Strawberry cheesecake
7. Cinnamon roll
8. Banana nut muffin

MEH

Chocolate peanut butter

AWFUL (binned)

Lemon

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Feels good when your taking it easy deadlift day is as follows:

275x5
315x5
365x5
405x5
405x5

Come a long way. :)

Ate my last Quest bar today, my 6 boxes lasted throught the summer.

Thinking of taking a small break off them, they are just too easy to grab from the fridge. Here's my top list after the summer.

GREAT

1. Cookie dough
2. White chocolate
4. Apple Pie
5. Coconut
6. Strawberry cheesecake
7. Cinnamon roll
8. Banana nut muffin

MEH

Chocolate peanut butter

AWFUL (binned)

Lemon

From the fridge? intriguing.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Might have found the perfect house and the garage is massive for my gym.

Today may be a good day.

As in, most of my body felt like it was...not on fire, but a soreness. The same "it" you were telling MrOogie about a couple posts above. Prior to that I only felt it in my lower back slightly, I think prior to yesterday I was being too conservative about deadlifts when it came to weight.

Also, are you the same guy that used to run heavy in the Gears of War threads on the Gaming side?

The only "it" I'm referring to with him is that he feels his lower back fatiguing, I feel it to some degree as well. This most certainly doesn't feel "So gooooooood" as you put it.

Be careful you don't confuse "it" with something else.

And yeah, I am.

I need to squat more!.. I'm losing ca an inch on arms, chest and calves but when it comes to thighs I'm losing by 3-4 inches. #punylegs.

Push hard my friend.

I was legit expecting a penis measurement to be hidden in there somewhere. I'm sorta disappointed now to be quite honest.

I'm around .28 cooters.

You're getting there man!

Whatever you're doing sounds like it's working man. Awesome.

Yeah, just eating and lifting haha. Thanks!

I was reading something about how for "proper proportions" it is something along the lines of your neck, arms, and calves are appox the same. Chest is 10-12 inches bigger than your waist to get a proper V-taper. Legs/quads are 6-8 inches smaller than your waist. I don't care about these but it is still interesting to read about. Bodybuilding and all that. Lots of hard work involved.

I don't know how to feel about today. On the one hand, I had a great deadlift workout, and introduced deficit deads into my exercises. On the other hand, the deficit deads were done at my BBB weight and reps (5x10 @ 205), and even though I only did 2 sets, I nearly passed out after each one.

Whatever, got it done, and am stronger for it.

The BBB sets are perfect for deficit deads but yeah, they will wreck you.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
The only "it" I'm referring to with him is that he feels his lower back fatiguing, I feel it to some degree as well. This most certainly doesn't feel "So gooooooood" as you put it.

Be careful you don't confuse "it" with something else.

And yeah, I am.
Oh okay, will do.

abuC

Yeah, I want to stay at a somewhat lean 240. I need to get to 260/265 first though.

You should post up some pics man. Would love to see your progress.

I'll have some pics when I'm done with my cut.

Unrelated, but doing two depletion workouts in one session is difficult but I got through my workout tonight in under 2 hours. My muscle endurance was up a bit from last week, got 245x6x15 without skipping a beat on decline bench.

abuC

Also, while I'm getting definition in my arms and chest, my back is starting to look like some Dwarves are chiseling away at it during the night. I can't believe how much muscle was hiding under the fat just waiting to be brought to light, still got another 10-12lbs to lose.

Arms and chest are still the same size despite losing weight, can't recommend UD 2.0 enough, I may even try it when I bulk.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member

Unrelated, but doing two depletion workouts in one session is difficult but I got through my workout tonight in under 2 hours. My muscle endurance was up a bit from last week, got 245x6x15 without skipping a beat on decline bench.
Jesus. Nice work!

TopDreg

Also, while I'm getting definition in my arms and chest, my back is starting to look like some Dwarves are chiseling away at it during the night. I can't believe how much muscle was hiding under the fat just waiting to be brought to light, still got another 10-12lbs to lose.

Arms and chest are still the same size despite losing weight, can't recommend UD 2.0 enough, I may even try it when I bulk.

I'm skimming through UD 2.0 right now as a possible route for when I finish my beginning gains in SS, and it looks... a tad complicated to follow. And the idea of using machines bothers me. Scared I'll lose strength. Still, I've heard good things. I'm worried about having to meticulously log everything I eat. :\

despire

Still kind of interested in the UD 2.0 though I'm around 18% bf so not totally ideal. Still I guess the results are awesome and I wouldn't mind getting leaner and building muscle. And I know it's pretty hardcore because you have to do it exactly like it's laid out but I'm not really preoccupied atm..

SeanR1221

Ok this is gonna sound dumb, but file it under bigorexia or body dismorphia, but do you ever feel like one area of your body is way too small but it's probably being overshadowed by another part?

Like I feel like I have teeny tiny arms but I also have. A bigger chest and upper back in proportion to them

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I have been hitting the gym and last Monday did some of abs in the ab coaster machine... now I have this weird as hell upper right abdominal pain (more like its bothering me, not real pain "pain) that gets painful if I stress too much like walking up stairs quickly. Is this a normal pain after some ab exercise or could it be something else?

As a side note! I started a month ago in the gym with some healthier eating. I go about 3-4 times a week and have already dropped 9 pounds and there's a marked difference in my arms. Really getting excited :D!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It's time to return to shrugs. I have faith my trapezius won't hurt. Let's see what happens tonight.

UD2.0 sounds so good, but so tough. Need to get my mind right (and my weight down a little more) before taking it on.

Ok this is gonna sound dumb, but file it under bigorexia or body dismorphia, but do you ever feel like one area of your body is way too small but it's probably being overshadowed by another part?

Like I feel like I have teeny tiny arms but I also have. A bigger chest and upper back in proportion to them

I feel like my arms (especially forearm) are tiny compared to the rest of my body.

It's time to return to shrugs. I have faith my trapezius won't hurt. Let's see what happens tonight.

UD2.0 sounds so good, but so tough. Need to get my mind right (and my weight down a little more) before taking it on.

Get straps! I started using them on my heavier shrugs and was amazed, taking grip out of the equation really lets you hit 'em hard.

I spend some time on the forums on Lyle's site and UD2 is an absurd level of hardcore. Those guys start out lean and end up completely shredded in like 2 months, and without any muscle loss. It requires a huge time commitment but there's no denying it works. But most people don't need it until they're at like 10%. You CAN do it if you're fatter but it's not necessary.

Speaking of Lyle, round 2 of the RFL PSMF started yesterday. Is there anything more beautiful when starting a cut than those first couple days of carb depletion? 2 pounds down already.

deadbeef

I did UD2 between 15-20% and would do it again. It's hard but simple. It is nice having it all laid out for you. I wouldn't be afraid of doing it if you are high teens BF%.

Besides feeling like every part of my body is small, I still feel like my chest and traps are my weak points.

Get straps! I started using them on my heavier shrugs and was amazed, taking grip out of the equation really lets you hit 'em hard.

I spend some time on the forums on Lyle's site and UD2 is an absurd level of hardcore. Those guys start out lean and end up completely shredded in like 2 months, and without any muscle loss. It requires a huge time commitment but there's no denying it works. But most people don't need it until they're at like 10%. You CAN do it if you're fatter but it's not necessary.

Speaking of Lyle, round 2 of the RFL PSMF started yesterday. Is there anything more beautiful when starting a cut than those first couple days of carb depletion? 2 pounds down already.

Yeah dood, straps are amazing. It lets me focus more on getting the weight up and going heavy and hard.

I strongly believe that the day you are truly happy with your body is the day you lose. Hating your body is the key to success. Hating all small you are, hating how weak you are, hating how your calves look, hating how you look when you walk because you hate your posture. These are the things that motivate one to become better.

But, I'm also occasionally a cynic.

Also, front squats as an assistance lift on squat days and sumo deadlifts as an assistance lift on deadlift days, yay or nay?

I have 14.5" arms (too small), 26" thighs (satisfactory), tiny-ass wrists (FML) and a stack of dimes for a neck. I feel way out of proportion. I am eager to get down to 10% BF and finally begin a long, slow, clean bulk to address all these lacking areas and eventually look like a mini-Tom Platz.

Also, front squats as an assistance lift on squat days and sumo deadlifts as an assistance lift on deadlift days, yay or nay?

I say yea and nay respectively, do deficit deads instead of sumo deads, work on your bar speed and your power off the floor.

I say yea and nay respectively, do deficit deads instead of sumo deads, work on your bar speed and your power off the floor.

Deficit deadlifts being normal deadlifts, but I stand on a 1-3 inch platform? Not sure how I feel about that, I'll have to watch some videos and see if it looks fun enough to add to my routine. I appreciate the suggestion though!

Also, this video showing a 1-year steroid transformation cracks me up. At about 0:44 the guy cuts to the "before" part, but the hilarity ensues at around 1:20 with "GOOOOOD DAAAAAAMN" and so on.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Also, this video showing a 1-year steroid transformation cracks me up. At about 0:44 the guy cuts to the "before" part, but the hilarity ensues at around 1:20 with "GOOOOOD DAAAAAAMN" and so on.

Dude turned into a MANSTER, absolutely insane what steroids can do for you.

lenovox1

I have been hitting the gym and last Monday did some of abs in the ab coaster machine... now I have this weird as hell upper right abdominal pain (more like its bothering me, not real pain "pain) that gets painful if I stress too much like walking up stairs quickly. Is this a normal pain after some ab exercise or could it be something else?

You did this exercise a day ago? Sounds like DOMs to me with some possible tissue inflammation going on. You may have over extended yourself a little bit, but no long-term damage at all. You could take an NSAID, ice, and try a hot/cold shower to help ease some of the inflammation and pain, of course.

And, of course, seek medical attention if you have this type of pain for more than seven days. But you're probably more than fine.

Deficit deadlifts being normal deadlifts, but I stand on a 1-3 inch platform? Not sure how I feel about that, I'll have to watch some videos and see if it looks fun enough to add to my routine. I appreciate the suggestion though!

Just use 35s instead of 45s, it's the same thing.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Jesus Fuck at the Ultimate Diet 2.0 book being approx $90 on Amazon. Surely I'm missing something.

Guys, I can't seem to do any shoulder exercises. I've had pain in my right shoulder for a long time now, years really. It used to be that I couldn't bench at all because of it, but I could do weighted dips and shoulder press til the cows came home with no problems.

Now it's the opposite. No problems while benching but I can't shoulder press or dip at all, and it bothers me even on pullups.

I don't have insurance so surgery is not an option right now.

Any shoulder exercises I might be able to do? I think I'm heading toward some big imbalances. I should hit 150 on bench this week (did 3x4 last time so should hit 3x5 this time), but today I couldn't even get one rep of shoulder press with 67.5 because of my shoulder. I think the most I've managed in my life was 75.

I've done milions of dislocations, shoulder circles, and the usual shoulder stretches with no effect.

abuC

Jesus. Nice work!

Thanks man!

I'm skimming through UD 2.0 right now as a possible route for when I finish my beginning gains in SS, and it looks... a tad complicated to follow. And the idea of using machines bothers me. Scared I'll lose strength. Still, I've heard good things. I'm worried about having to meticulously log everything I eat. :\

I don't think it's all that complicated, once you get the idea of it it's pretty simple. I used to log everything I ate, but I mostly eat the same thing everyday which makes things even easier. Basically I just keep my carbs under 75g from Sunday to Thursday evening, then during Thursday evening you get to start what has become a most joyous occasion...the carb up which lasts until Friday night. I logged what I ate for the first two weeks after that I just decided to eat that same stuff pretty much throughout the week.

I haven't lost any strength and in some lifts I've gained some, what I do have trouble with is muscle endurance from time to time. It doesn't feel like I'm fully recovered sometimes because there's a lot of volume, so my endurance suffers. But usually by the Saturday power day my body feels fantastic, especially once you carb up. I'd say to give it a shot, as long as you follow what Lyle says you shouldn't lose much strength if any.

I've been doing Starting Strength for quite a long time, and I want to add a short arm routine at the end of each time (triceps for my A day/biceps for B). Any ideas?

TheFatOne

So GAF I no longer have access to a squat rack. I transferred to a new university, and the squat rack is almost always full at the times I go to the gym. I don't have enough time to wait 40 minutes to use a squat rack. Is there any other thing I can replace squats/deadlifts with or am I screwed?

Szu

Based on my calculations, that equals GODDAMNNN!!!!!

SeanR1221

So GAF I no longer have access to a squat rack. I transferred to a new university, and the squat rack is almost always full at the times I go to the gym. I don't have enough time to wait 40 minutes to use a squat rack. Is there any other thing I can replace squats/deadlifts with or am I screwed?

Just ask to work in. It's not a big deal.

Petrie

Banned

Just ask to work in. It's not a big deal.

What Sean said. You can't replace squats. Find a different time to go or ask to work in.

Shadybiz

Skinny chicken calves compared to pretty much the rest of me. Wrists could use some meat compared to the upper arms, as well.

I waited way too long to calculate my calories. Just found out today that on an average day, I'm taking in around 500 less than what I actually need. Rookie mistake, I guess.

sphinx

the piano man

I consider myself pretty proportional... it's just that I am small from everywhere :'((( and that's no bigorexia, I see it in the lockers where I can see other guys and compare myself.

the only two parts that could maybe, possibly, stand out from my body is chest ( and that's a stretch,,,) and ass (which I had from my skating years.) everything else, it's nothing to write home about... but I do it for me, I don't ever expect anyone that is into this discipline to compliment me for my size, all I can strive for is some definition and one or 2 inches max from all my parts. I just don't have the genes for much else.

it doesn't discourage me, to be honest, I care a bit but not that much :p

Chocobro

I waited way too long to calculate my calories. Just found out today that on an average day, I'm taking in around 500 less than what I actually need. Rookie mistake, I guess.

You might not be the only one. I haven't calculated my calories and macros because I lack the time :\ It might be affecting my lift progression: Monday I increased the weight for my squats to 90 lbs and only got 5/4/3 and today I did the same weight but got 5/5/3. However both days I had roughly 6H of sleep thanks to working on an engineering lab report. But I eat until I am full, would I have to push it further? According to how linear progression works, I guess if I don't get 5/5/5 this Friday, I have to reset.

Noema and my friends are going to be disappointed to see that my first reset might be on such a low weight :(

SeanR1221

You might not be the only one. I haven't calculated my calories and macros because I lack the time : It might be affecting my lift progression: Monday I increased the weight for my squats to 90 lbs and only got 5/4/3 and today I did the same weight but got 5/5/3. However both days I had roughly 6H of sleep thanks to working on an engineering lab report. But I eat until I am full, would I have to push it further? According to how linear progression works, I guess if I don't get 5/5/5 this Friday, I have to reset.

Noema and my friends are going to be disappointed to see that my first reset might be on such a low weight :(

How much are you eating? Can you give is a couple day sample. Be specific.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom