• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

abuC

It is like that here too. While I'm not on your level, I get comments from everyone that I'm a big dood. Huge and all that. In the gym? Hey, who is that skinny 250 lbs punk?

I'm going to stop comparing myself to people at my roid factory of a gym, will make life easier.

So Layne Norton is still pursuing legal action against Jason Blaha. His research is not above criticism so I'm not sure why that is in the legal documents, it's antithetical to scientific protocol, so much for the 'data'. I can understand going after him for jason slandering Layne by saying he doesn't believe Layne is natural, but it's an opinion. I think Layne should just explain via youtube video how he's gotten to where he is, but explaining 198 lbs and shredded at 5'10" is beyond suspect, so he's choosing to bully Jason into submission. Youtube drama.

Lanye isn't natural as far as I'm concerned, this is a page out of the Lance Armstrong book too.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
So I took some L-arginine and now it's got me feelin liht headed during my workout. It was only for a split second while stretching, but got a little dizzy. Thoughts on NOS supplements?

keezy

So Layne Norton is still pursuing legal action against Jason Blaha. His research is not above criticism so I'm not sure why that is in the legal documents, it's antithetical to scientific protocol, so much for the 'data'. I can understand going after him for jason slandering Layne by saying he doesn't believe Layne is natural, but it's an opinion. I think Layne should just explain via youtube video how he's gotten to where he is, but explaining 198 lbs and shredded at 5'10" is beyond suspect, so he's choosing to bully Jason into submission. Youtube drama.

Layne made a huge FB post today and I was wondering what that was about.

So I took some L-arginine and now it's got me feelin liht headed during my workout. It was only for a split second while stretching, but got a little dizzy. Thoughts on NOS supplements?

i don't take NOS supplements or care about what that is, but did u take it on an empty stomach? amino acids like arganine aren't going to do their specific job properly if you're not taking them on an empty stomach.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
i don't take NOS supplements or care about what that is, but did u take it on an empty stomach? amino acids like arganine aren't going to do their specific job properly if you're not taking them on an empty stomach.

Nah took em with protein and a couple cups of oats. I know I'm stupid though I had an energy shot that's loaded with NOS. Overloaded on it, but from reading worst case scenario is some minor dizziness from blood rushing my head, and a case of the runs.

NOS is just L-arginine basically.

thomaser

My gym is getting one of these things:

Synergy-360-picture.jpg

Looks kinda messy, but could be fun for high intensity training by rotating between the "stations". It has the worst ad ever, by the way.

lenovox1

What kind of dancing are you doing brah?

I've done ballet (as a youth and for fitness now) and jazz, mostly, with a small taste of every other Western style.

And the more contemporary stuff you dance the stronger your legs will be and look. Post-Jerome Robbins, high jumps and demanding leg movements are the type of things people like to choreograph. Take, for example, the NYC ballet dancers or this Royal Ballet principle dancer that I posted in a "meggings" thread a year ago.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Looks kinda messy, but could be fun for high intensity training by rotating between the "stations". It has the worst ad ever, by the way.

Weird how it looks more and more like a children's playground.

I've done ballet (as a youth and for fitness now) and jazz, mostly, with a small taste of every other Western style.

And the more contemporary stuff you dance the stronger your legs will be and look. Post-Jerome Robbins, high jumps and demanding leg movements are the type of things people like to choreograph. Take, for example, the NYC ballet dancers or this Royal Ballet principle dancer that I posted in a "meggings" thread a year ago.

Dope. That's pretty awesome.

Nah took em with protein and a couple cups of oats. I know I'm stupid though I had an energy shot that's loaded with NOS. Overloaded on it, but from reading worst case scenario is some minor dizziness from blood rushing my head, and a case of the runs.

NOS is just L-arginine basically.

personally i see taking arganine with a non empty stomach as a waste, as individual amino acids like arginine end up being processed with the protein you ingested and not used for their individual purpose. if you don't wait to take AAs like arginine like at least an hour after eating protein you might as well just be ingesting more protein, i would research that and make your own conclusion

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
personally i see taking arganine with a non empty stomach as a waste, as individual amino acids like arginine end up being processed with the protein you ingested and not used for their individual purpose. if you don't wait to take AAs like arginine like at least an hour after eating protein you might as well just be ingesting more protein, i would research that and make your own conclusion

I've read about this, but don't the NOS pills come stacked with stuff to make it absorb better?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
i admittedly know nothing about NOS, you may be correct there. i'd be interested in hearing the answer if you/someone else knows.

From what I understand Arginine is hard to absorb even on an empty stomach, which is why it's stacked with others to help it absorb.

Imm0rt4l

I'm going to stop comparing myself to people at my roid factory of a gym, will make life easier.

Lanye isn't natural as far as I'm concerned, this is a page out of the Lance Armstrong book too.

I'm conflicted with the guy, he's extremely knowledgeable for sure, but he's a career liar.

probably good for a pump, but pumps having a pump isn't causation for a good workout. Nice for getting some vascularity I suppose.

Layne made a huge FB post today and I was wondering what that was about.

Yea, his posts typically never name names.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I'm conflicted with the guy, he's extremely knowledgeable for sure, but he's a career liar.

probably good for a pump, but pumps having a pump isn't causation for a good workout. Nice for getting some vascularity I suppose.

Yea, his posts typically never name names.

Any danger to them? If they can help with circulation in the long run I wouldnt mind. I feel like I have some poor circulation around my ears and in my feet as it is.

Imm0rt4l

Any danger to them? If they can help with circulation in the long run I wouldnt mind. I feel like I have some poor circulation around my ears and in my feet as it is.

Not that I know of, it's just an amino acid. I just wouldn't expect for them to help in cutting, building muscle or giving an especially effective workout although some say you can take a higher workload, I dunno.

edit: possible headache and nausea are possible.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Not that I know of, it's just an amino acid. I just wouldn't expect for them to help in cutting, building muscle or giving an especially effective workout.

Alrighty, I'll give em a shot for this month and see. Any reason to cycle off them over time given the fact they're made naturally?

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Thanks! Now I just need a 455lb squat and I will have hit all my short and long-term goals.

45lb muscle up
500lb deadlift
370lb bench
225lb OHP
455lb squat (you're next!)

All at a weight of 185.

Impressive work - actually, at 185, that's more than impressive. I'm 270 and I Crossfit (uh-oh), but thankfully I'm at a gym that pulls from all sources, not just Crossfit. We use Starting Strength, we have an Olympic weightlifting club, a Barbell Club and a Rowing Club. We actually had an Olympian who won a bronze medal in the 2012 games come and give us some training as well for a bit (Christine Girard). She was fantastic.

Here are my numbers:

Muscle up - still working on this, but I think I need to shed some weight to get multiples
565lb Deadlift (working on getting to 600 by next summer)
345lb Bench (injured my elbow, so next time I test, this will hopefully be a little closer to your 370 !!)
245lb OHP
515lb x 3 Squat

Any tips for maintaining (preferably increasing) strength while shedding pounds would be greatly appreciated. 225 bodyweight is my goal. I don't supplement, used to do the paleo thing and saw good results, just haven't been disciplined enough to stick to it for the past little while.

Edit: Thought I should add - bodyfat is at 20.3%. And Christine did a clean and jerk at about 300lbs to get the bronze. At 140lbs. Her quads are out of this world.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Impressive work - actually, at 185, that's more than impressive. I'm 270 and I Crossfit (uh-oh), but thankfully I'm at a gym that pulls from all sources, not just Crossfit. We use Starting Strength, we have an Olympic weightlifting club, a Barbell Club and a Rowing Club. We actually had an Olympian who won a bronze medal in the 2012 games come and give us some training as well for a bit (Christine Girard). She was fantastic.

Here are my numbers:

Muscle up - still working on this, but I think I need to shed some weight to get multiples
345lb Bench (injured my elbow, so next time I test, this will hopefully be a little closer to your 370 !!)
245lb OHP
515lb x 3 Squat

Any tips for maintaining (preferably increasing) strength while shedding pounds would be greatly appreciated. 225 bodyweight is my goal. I don't supplement, used to do the paleo thing and saw good results, just haven't been disciplined enough to stick to it for the past little while.

What bf% would you say you're at? abuC has had crazy results with Ultimate Diet 2.0.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Just barely got 5x3 220 lb squats today but hello 2 plates next week!. Btw veezy thanks for the tip on switching out rows. My squats and deadlift feel a lot better now.

Szu

Synergy-360-picture.jpg

It's like a playground for adults.

The guy wearing gray in the back looks like he's setting up for a crane kick and he's saying "Come at me, bro."

Not that I know of, it's just an amino acid. I just wouldn't expect for them to help in cutting, building muscle or giving an especially effective workout although some say you can take a higher workload, I dunno.

edit: possible headache and nausea are possible.
I thought they just help recovery time basically

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Going HARD in the gym tonight, that Friday "I got all weekend to recover so let's get fuckin serious" motivation going! I'm well fed well rested ready to destroy! AAAAAAHHHHH

I just gotta sit in this office chair for another 1.5 hours. :|

Bench'd 67,5 KG (148,8 lbs) for the first time ever in my life! WOOHOO!!!

Also had my first go at 100 KG squat (220 lbs) today.

I'm beat.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Bench'd 67,5 KG (148,8 lbs) for the first time ever in my life! WOOHOO!!!

Also had my first go at 100 KG squat (220 lbs) today.

I'm beat.

Progress brother! Killing it! Keep up the murdering spree!

Progress brother! Killing it! Keep up the murdering spree!

Thanks!

Eating 1 lb of ox ground meat as a reward! om-ing and nom-ing away!

I can also feel I've lost fat on my my stomach, cause my stuck my thumb into my belly button crater :)-P) and it's not a tight fit... it's just a wierd measurement system I've recently discovered.

Veezy

que?
I'm debating how hard I want to go back into that thread. Poking bees nests is fun.

Dreading switching to rest pause 531 this month. Life's gonna suck. A lot.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement

Here are my numbers:

245lb OHP
515lb x 3 Squat

Edit: Thought I should add - bodyfat is at 20.3%. And Christine did a clean and jerk at about 300lbs to get the bronze. At 140lbs. Her quads are out of this world.

Thanks!

Fasting during the day has helped me tremendously. I would look into that. Since I have started doing it I have maintained a low bf% and even dropped it during certain stretches. During it all I have continued to have strength gains! It appears to be the magic formula for my body.

sphinx

the piano man
I've read and mostly agree that anyone who can squat 225lbs has the strength to pistol squat (though perhaps not the mobility). They are still different enough movements that they are not truly interchangeable but it demonstrates the limits pistol squats have on stressing the leg muscles.

what exactly does this mean? what is "it" (that which demonstrates the limits pistol squats have ons stressing leg muscles.

and regarding the 225lbs comment, why is that weight a particular reference for pistol squats? I did complete PS for reps before I even started squatting...dunno :/

In the topic of PS, I have been wanting to do some tutorial for it because all videos I've seen in youtube either are from guys with terrible form or can't really teach it (lack of preparatory exercise and such) or they have great form but are crossfit gym owners what massive legs who, again, can't teach it because they just do it casually..

your link is great though, lots of possibilities.

Chocobro

Had a good workout today! Successfully did 5/5/5 squats at 90 lbs after getting 5/4/3 on Monday and 5/5/3 on Wednesday. I also finally got 5/5/5 BP at 85 lbs after getting 5/5/4 last Wednesday and this past Monday. I threw in some DLs even though I did some on Wednesday lol; 5 reps at 105 lbs. I also checked how many pull-ups I can do; I did 4 good ones. I'm happy with that because I was barely able to do 1 pull-up two months ago.

Current numbers for big lifts:
Squat = 90 lbs; BP = 85 lbs; OHP = 60 lbs; DL = 105 lbs

I also bought some whey protein and a 28 oz BlenderBottle yesterday for ~$63. Maybe my progress will be better with the extra protein intake.

Question I had in my mind during my workout: Should I bother informing others where their squat form falls short and give them tips on how to squat better, even though I squat less weight than them? There's a guy that was squatting 135lbs, going parallel but his knees were kind of caving in, wasn't sure if I should inform him to push his knees outward to prevent that. His foot was also pointing to the side at around 50º and it doesn't look like his knees were inline with his foot. Lots of half-squatters too.

tu8oGw1.jpg

my goodness I've hit curlbro mode, got Hugh Jackman legs. Lol i swear the angle and socks make it look even worse than it already is

gonna throw out my whole routine and start following one of the OP's plans this sunday

I gotta tell ya I really dig that gym fit.

It's as if you're stylin' just for the workout.

Had a good workout today! Successfully did 5/5/5 squats at 90 lbs after getting 5/4/3 on Monday and 5/5/3 on Wednesday. I also finally got 5/5/5 BP at 85 lbs after getting 5/5/4 last Wednesday and this past Monday. I threw in some DLs even though I did some on Wednesday lol; 5 reps at 105 lbs. I also checked how many pull-ups I can do; I did 4 good ones. I'm happy with that because I was barely able to do 1 pull-up two months ago.

Current numbers for big lifts:
Squat = 95 lbs; BP = 85 lbs; OHP = 60 lbs; DL = 105 lbs

I also bought some whey protein and a 28 oz BlenderBottle yesterday for ~$63. Maybe my progress will be better with the extra protein intake.

Question I had in my mind during my workout: Should I bother informing others where their squat form falls short and give them tips on how to squat better, even though I squat less weight than them? There's a guy that was squatting 135lbs, going parallel but his knees were kind of caving in, wasn't sure if I should inform him to push his knees outward to prevent that. His foot was also pointing to the side at around 50º and it doesn't look like his knees were inline with his foot. Lots of half-squatters too.

This is a very tricky situation. It's like trying to give someone parenting advice. Even if the advice is good they will sometimes get offended, especially if its coming from someone they think is smaller than them

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Gonna eat 100 burritos for supper tonight, RIP in pieces, I'll see you in the next life my friends.

Oh CT scan results were clear, no brain aneurysm yet, had to call them and ask, they don't usually notify you unless there is something wrong...

Gonna eat 100 burritos for supper tonight, RIP in pieces, I'll see you in the next life my friends.

Oh CT scan results were clear, no brain aneurysm yet, had to call them and ask, they don't usually notify you unless there is something wrong...

Congrats! you better celebrate that news

MegalonJJ

Banned
Okay guys, whilst I love cottage cheese, eggs and cans of tuna, I need a bit of a break from this stuff so I'm thinking of getting protein powder (for the first time).

What's the best quality make? (I.e. the least amount of extra shite).

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Great news bud, really happy to hear it.

Imm0rt4l

I thought they just help recovery time basically

I've never heard of that, but maybe. Gluatamine is used for recovery though.

Good to hear man.

Chocobro

This is a very tricky situation. It's like trying to give someone parenting advice. Even if the advice is good they will sometimes get offended, especially if its coming from someone they think is smaller than them
Yeah exactly. I genuinely want to them to be doing the exercises with proper form so they don't injure themselves down the line, save them time (they would have to spend time fixing their form when they could've had a near perfect form near the beginning), and probably progress better.
Too bad there's social stigma associated with criticism. Some people are superficial and that they won't believe you because they don't think you're strong or experienced enough. I'll continue to keep it to myself unless they ask for a form check.

That's great to hear! Thank you for updating us :)

What's the best quality make? (I.e. the least amount of extra shite).
All of my friends recommended this one. I bought it from soap.com sales-tax-free (at least in NY) and got free 1-day shipping (I ordered it at 1AM and I got it at 7:45PM on the same day).

Hello brah's!

Today is gym day.

I have my PhD. quals in exactly 19 days so I have had to cut my lift sessions to twice a week. This is because between my cutting diet and studying like crazy I really need to get quality sleep on Wednesday.

Anyways, here is today's workout. Let's see how it goes:

BW: 180lb
Front Squat: 230 3x3
OHP: 137.5 3x5
DL: 375 1x5
Dips

I.am.so.fucking.tired.

Here are some comparison pics. Before at 200lb and after, right now. I would like to know what my bf% at both pictures.
Before
2013-06-10%2007.12.10.jpg

Now
2013-09-27%2019.22.43-1.jpg

I want to drop another 5 lb before wrapping it up

(my room is still a mess)

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom