• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hilti92

Height: 5'9
Weight: 140
Goal: 155
Current Training Schedule: Starting strength
Current Training Equipment Available: Gym

Been doing starting strength now for a few weeks now and feel I have pretty much caught up to where I was before I stopped working out and what my maximum is. I will be continuing starting strength for quite a while but my question is am I able to add more exercises into one or two of the days like arm work and shoulder work? I want to gain muscle obviously and I want to be bigger than what I am as I am skinny and have always been skinny. If I can add arm exercises, what do you guys recommend and how often should I do them? Any other tips?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Just double checked on SD and MUSCLEMP is the code. In the thread there someone posted it working an hour ago and I myself used it successfully a little over an hour ago.

edit:Did you guys make sure Amazon is the seller?

Can't get Amazon to sell it to me, that must be it :/

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Just tried it again and it still works. Amazon should be listed as a seller on the right side. Their price is $37.45. Have you tried adding that then putting in the code at checkout?

Thanks! Ended up grabbing it, I didn't know how to computer so I needed that extra bit of direction on the side. Out of stock but they'll honor it, which is fine - I got some badass mint chocolate chip ON that I'm consuming.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Thanks! Ended up grabbing it, I didn't know how to computer so I needed that extra bit of direction on the side. Out of stock but they'll honor it, which is fine - I got some badass mint chocolate chip ON that I'm consuming.

Awesome, glad I was able to help.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Completely stalled at a piddly 100lb bench after three attempts over the last week. Can't even do a single rep at 105 without feeling like I'm going to die. This sucks.

Not worth it IMO. You don't need a trainer to guage where you're at.

What are your goals?

Primary goal is just to lose weight, though I'm also doing some weight training to build muscle and help the process along. Was wanting to do a schedule where I did weights one day, than cardio the next, but I think the only way I can do it is if I do half-hour weight, half-hour cardio three days a week. I've been pretty faithful on the weight lifting the past 2-3 weeks, but cardio's been slacking, so I need to squeeze it in days where I weight lift.

I had to skip my Friday session because I was still feeling Wednesday, and also because for the past few sessions, my right bicep starts aching the moment I begin working out. It's not excruciating, and it never bothers me after the work out, but I'm still concerned.

As for weight stats:

Squat - 120 lbs
Bench Press - 60 lbs
Deadlift - 130 lbs
Pull Downs - 85 lbs
Overhead Press - 60 lbs
Power Cleans - 90 lbs
Bent Over Rows - 60 lbs
Ab Crunch - 80 lbs

Completely stalled at a piddly 100lb bench after three attempts over the last week. Can't even do a single rep at 105 without feeling like I'm going to die. This sucks.

you should try focusing on a lower weight you can handle for more reps. it's better than just spinning your wheels trying to put up a new PR sometimes. you will come back after a few weeks and have no problem moving on.

agrajag

Banned
Heavy singles helped me go up in weight on bench. It just makes you used to a heavier weight so it's not so scary and makes the normal working sets feel easy. Then you can work on turning the singles into doubles, triples and finally regular five rep sets. But take my advice with a grain of salt, I'm a total n00b myself.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Heavy singles helped me go up in weight on bench. It just makes you used to a heavier weight so it's not so scary and makes the normal working sets feel easy. Then you can work on turning the singles into doubles, triples and finally regular five rep sets. But take my advice with a grain of salt, I'm a total n00b myself.
This sounds like a valid angle for increasing my bench numbers on paper, and I'd be tempted to do this...but I'm sure it doesn't align with how it's supposed to be done in the Starting Strength program.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member

you should try focusing on a lower weight you can handle for more reps. it's better than just spinning your wheels trying to put up a new PR sometimes. you will come back after a few weeks and have no problem moving on.
Yep, if you can get 100 for sets of 5 but a single rep at 105 feels like it's going to kill you then that would be highly unusual, to say the least.

Shiloa

At your weight you'd do fine with 115g protein / day, which should be pretty easy to get. If your goal is gaining muscle / strength and not cutting bodyfat, I wouldn't stress the 40:30:30 ratio if you find it difficult to find carb-free protein sources (I assume you're a vegetarian?)
Yeah I am.

My goal is pretty much gaining strength, though losing that body fat is a nice bonus for vanity reasons. I'll keep going as I am I guess.

keezy

At your weight you'd do fine with 115g protein / day, which should be pretty easy to get. If your goal is gaining muscle / strength and not cutting bodyfat, I wouldn't stress the 40:30:30 ratio if you find it difficult to find carb-free protein sources (I assume you're a vegetarian?)

115g of protein a day? that's barely anything. my protein macros are at 270g a day and i'm in contest prep. you might want to re-investigate that macro breakdown especially if you're looking to gain muscle.

Ninman

Hi fitness Gaf, I need some help.

I started going to the gym about 8 months ago, i didn't have a routine, I was doing what the trainer at the gym told me to, I was making some progress, but I stoped about 3 months ago for diferent reasons.

I wanna come back but i dont know where to start, should i do the begginers program? or trying something more advanced?

Thanks for the help.

Some pics:
img1463ykah.jpg

img447u0j8o.jpg

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination

I started going to the gym about 8 months ago, i didn't have a routine, I was doing what the trainer at the gym told me to, I was making some progress, but I stoped about 3 months ago for diferent reasons.

I wanna come back but i dont know where to start, should i do the begginers program? or trying something more advanced?

Thanks for the help.

Some pics:
img1463ykah.jpg

img447u0j8o.jpg

Starting Strength + eat a lot.

You look about 145-150 in your pics. I'd absolutely focus on the compound lifts for now while also trying to hit at least 3000 calories per day (guesstimate from your body type, as it's similar to mine). Count your calories for the next day or two just to see how much you're eating now. It sounds annoying, but it really isn't. Download an app like MyFitnessPal so that it's a headache-free process. You're probably eating a lot less than you need to if your goal is to gain weight, and this is the best way I've found to put into perspective for guys like you and me just how much more we need to be eating.

Imm0rt4l

Woke up looked at myself in the morning, and I looked small, like really flat. Down in weight too.

Refeed?

Refeed.

Maybe I'll get some hawaiian food to eat while watching breaking bad tonight.

Edit. Pulled 550 yesterday, that was cool.

Everyone will say do Starting Strength, but it really comes down to you just hitting any exercice and eating much more. You have a lot of room before cutting down on fat so embrace the opportunity.

Oh man, the gains keep on coming.

Did 4 reps @ 275 for flat bench yesterday. Exciting because a few months ago, my 1RM was 275. What a difference eating makes.

At my current weight, I should be pushing a lot more but hey, it will all work out int the end.

Noema

Thanks for the help.

Some pics:
img1463ykah.jpg

img447u0j8o.jpg

Do Starting Strength. Do it by the book. Don't change anything.

APF

115g of protein a day? that's barely anything. my protein macros are at 270g a day and i'm in contest prep. you might want to re-investigate that macro breakdown especially if you're looking to gain muscle.

It's actually the opposite, unless you're on AAS. The amount of protein synthesis the body is capable of is pretty small in natural trainees, therefore optimal protein requirements are correspondingly small (~0.75-0.8g/lb depending on how fat you are). Anything above this is then either used as energy or stored. Higher intakes are arguably more useful on a caloric deficit, first because proteins are more satiating and therefore you want to eat less, but also because protein is converted into energy very inefficiently, and you end up having a greater effective caloric deficit for the same amount of calories vs carbs.

Noema

It's time for a deload then. Take 10% off ad redo your progression from there.

Also you should be doing 2.5lb jumps on upper body exercises at this point.

So on you next session you do: 100*0'9=90lb 3x5. So you'd do 90lb on Monday, then 92.5lb Friday, 95lb on Wednesday.

Imm0rt4l

Contest prep is also different from say an average joe whos just looking to maintain or make some gains since not everyone can diet on the same amount of carbs. eating more protein would help with satiety without the cost of spilling over or making no progress in weight loss.

Nore protein in contest prep aids in muscle aparing since dieting down is a war pf attrition.

APF

In contest prep your body really wants to get rid of that muscle, since maintaining muscle mass is a major player in your metabolism. So higher intakes are also important to help stave-off catabolism.

Noema

Hey guys, I was watching the Olympia this weekend and I think I got infected with Bigorexia because I started feeling really small and puny, so I injected some HGH for swoleness and now I look like this. What do I do?

Imm0rt4l

Hey guys, I was watching the Olympia this weekend and I think I got infected with Bigorexia because I started feeling really small and puny, so I injected some HGH for swoleness and now I look like this. What do I do?
You are already swole. Enjoy your gains. You could do a lot of cardio in attempt to lose your gains. But you'll probably die of a massive heart attack in doing so. Sorry.

deadbeef

It's time for me to deload my squat but I hate doing this on 5/3/1 because a 10% deload is over 40 lbs which will take like 4 cycles to catch up to which is almost 1/4 a year or more. Ugh

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

CpJKcql.jpg

man

My bicep tendonitis probably won't fade anytime soon and my wrist is probably a week away

I just want to be back in the gym

;_;

watch your form everyone....watch that form

Anyone here have any experience with glucosamine chondroitin? I had knee surgery and my knee doctor told me it might be beneficial. Wanted to know if anyone here has had any success taking it.

Ninman

Starting Strength + eat a lot.

You look about 145-150 in your pics. I'd absolutely focus on the compound lifts for now while also trying to hit at least 3000 calories per day (guesstimate from your body type, as it's similar to mine). Count your calories for the next day or two just to see how much you're eating now. It sounds annoying, but it really isn't. Download an app like MyFitnessPal so that it's a headache-free process. You're probably eating a lot less than you need to if your goal is to gain weight, and this is the best way I've found to put into perspective for guys like you and me just how much more we need to be eating.

Noema said:
Do Starting Strength. Do it by the book. Don't change anything.

1871 said:
Everyone will say do Starting Strength, but it really comes down to you just hitting any exercice and eating much more. You have a lot of room before cutting down on fat so embrace the opportunity.

Thanks you guys, ill focus on compound lifts.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I do leg extensions as part of my accessory work, but the weights are absolutely heavy and destroying my shins because they don't have adequate padding on my shins. Any suggestions beyond using 2 towels for each leg?

Thanks guys, I tried out a regular bench press today after using the machine and it's way, way better, like you said. I wasn't sure how much to put on so I put 2x25lbs on a 45 lb bar and it seemed challenging but manageable considering I didn't have a spotter.

I would've tried squats and deadlifts but my knees were a bit sore from a motorbike ride earlier.

Looking forward to doing starting strength!

Nice thread!

Sooo my problem...how do I burn that waist/chest fat entirely away?

Im going to the gym 3 times a week (as of now) and didnt eat as much as I should have probably so I burned my fat reserves away to this!

kw8nmad38zpn.jpg

Monday: Back/Shoulders/Stomach
Wednesday: Biceps/Triceps/Chest/Stomach
Friday = monday
Sunday: Legs

Was gaining mass and power at the beginning but I shrinked back as you can see in the pic. I honestly dont feel THAT hungry anymore to stuff my face for the hulk up.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Nice thread!

Sooo my problem...how do I burn that waist/chest fat entirely away?

Im going to the gym 3 times a week (as of now) and didnt eat as much as I should have probably so I burned my fat reserves away to this!

arnie.jpg

Monday: Back/Shoulders/Stomach
Wednesday: Biceps/Triceps/Chest/Stomach
Friday = monday
Sunday: Legs

Was gaining mass and power at the beginning but I shrinked back as you can see in the pic. I honestly dont feel THAT hungry anymore to stuff my face for the hulk up.

Are you eating under maintenance and if so, how much under?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom