• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Thanks everyone.

I'm going to keep the run and increase to 30 lbs with 3 sets, 5 reps each for curls.
I'll do something similar with the chest.

I will also mix in the chin ups, just harder to do at the community gym. Cable machine curls are definitely not as good as db curls, by the way.

the only thing I would say about the run is how LONG are you actually working out for? If including the run you are around 1-1.5 hours, not the end of the world.. If you are already pushing over 1.5 hours every day with the run, I would at least cut it out on the days that your weightlifting is going long. You'll still see progress either way, but it's all about progress across your total volume. Running every day means all gains you see will be across lifting and running (i.e. the "volume). If that's what you are going for then cool. If you are more interested in lifting gains in specific areas, then cut the running out on the days you are specifically looking for those gains. Your body will recover quicker after lifting (I know. no duh.. it's not running) and will have fewer areas to recover with post-workout nutrition.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
the only thing I would say about the run is how LONG are you actually working out for? If including the run you are around 1-1.5 hours, not the end of the world.. If you are already pushing over 1.5 hours every day with the run, I would at least cut it out on the days that your weightlifting is going long. You'll still see progress either way, but it's all about progress across your total volume. Running every day means all gains you see will be across lifting and running (i.e. the "volume). If that's what you are going for then cool. If you are more interested in lifting gains in specific areas, then cut the running out on the days you are specifically looking for those gains. Your body will recover quicker after lifting (I know. no duh.. it's not running) and will have fewer areas to recover with post-workout nutrition.

I'm at 1.5 to 2 hours. I like running, it's a mental thing. Also, since I'm eating more, I hate the idea of developing a gut, this is where I tend to gain weight.

I'm thinking of doing one day cardio, one day lifts, rinse repeat. Take a break on saturdays or something.

One real weird thing, I took about 6 days off from working out while on vacation in Europe and actually lost weight. It's mind boggling, I am not know to struggle with gaining weight.

borghe

others can weigh in, but IMHO two hours straight for an actual workout is a pretty significant volume. as for gaining weight, it's not simply about calories in calories out. If you measure body fat (NEVER "eyeball" fat gains/decreases) and you notice it going up, you should probably work to cut back on carbs. If your BF% isn't going up.. then you have nothing to worry about.

I don't think there's necessarily a reason to alternate "cardio days" and "lifting days" (I personally don't believe in either), again it just goes on what your goals are. If you are good with gains across the board but feeling frustrated on a specific group/area, then cut overall volume on that day and focus more on intensity (more weight, fewer reps, etc).

Thing about working out is often there is no right or wrong answer. It's really about what you are trying to accomplish.

J. Bravo

What the fuck is this supposed to mean? This is the 2nd "gay" remark I've seen in the thread in a week.

Take your lame homophobic shit out of here.
First, I'm not homophobic. Second, its supposed to be a joke about 4 dudes lifting their shirts up and taking a group selfie. I am sorry for offending you. Shouldn't happen again, at least not in regards to this subject.

--

Btw, based on the internet and my peers at school, I've deduced that I probably have mono. Explains the closed up throat, sleepiness, and incredible lack of energy. Heading to the Dr tomorrow to see what's up.

abuC

hey abuC if you're a Breaking Bad fan and haven't watched the finale, don't touch any Chiv servers. :|

Had that shit spoiled and I still have yet to watch the final season. I guess that goes for any game really.

Thanks, luckily I watched it while it was aired, normally I wait until a show is over then watch it so I can skip commercials but I figured the spoiler birds would be out in full force last night.

borghe

This looks good! But is this possible to do without the slow cooker?

you can slow cook in the oven in much the same fashion. slow cooker is just much more convenient (not to mention ones with a start/stop timer are pretty inexpensive)

borghe

I also forgot to mention that tonight I start my two-a-days (well, for three days a week that is). Trying to get my 1K row under 3:30. Tested on Saturday at 3:40.1. Rowing program looks like this (in addition to my regular workouts):

Week 1:
8 x 500m / 3min30 rest
5 x 1500m / 5min rest
Hard distance (~5k+)

Week 2:
250m, 500m, 750m, 1k, 750m, 500m, 250m / 1min30 rest per 250m work
4 x 2000m / 5min rest
Hard distance (~5k+)

Week 3:
4 x 1000m / 5min rest
3k, 2.5k, 2k / 5min rest
Hard distance (~5k+)

It's a 2K program.. So I figure if I know what my 2K pace is by the end I should have an idea on how much faster I can push myself on 1K to easily get me those 10ish seconds.

I thin I'll try to work on my long-distance running skills come next summer, so that'll be maintenance/cutting phase while I bulk for now.

BUT, I remain on the clean bulk train, get those donuts out of my face.

Groof

you can slow cook in the oven in much the same fashion. slow cooker is just much more convenient (not to mention ones with a start/stop timer are pretty inexpensive)

Get a slow cooker. They're invaluable, and can be had for like $10 on sale for a decent sized one.

Alright, I'll see if I can find one for cheaps here. They don't seem to be widely available though. Thanks guys!
In the mean time, any more tips on what to do with all this chicken?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Still on SS and making gains by the week! Thanks so much for the routine guys! Forearm pain is gone as well, thanks to not overdoing curls.

One thing I'm struggling with right now however is Pull ups. I've gotten stronger, but my ROM is terrible and it just isn't improving much. I'd like to incorporate them more than once a week... is this posssible without derailing the rest of my week?

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Get a slow cooker. They're invaluable, and can be had for like $10 on sale for a decent sized one.

Get a pressure cooker. I just cooked 2.2 kg of pork shoulder in one hour. Or rather, one hour under pressure. Then I spent an hour reducing the sauce. But it gets fork tender in under one hour. Minimal prep as well. Just brown onions and garlic, chop up meat, add spices, wine, stock, crushed tomatoes. Damn tasty.

Cudder

Thanks everyone.

I'm going to keep the run and increase to 30 lbs with 3 sets, 5 reps each for curls.

I will also mix in the chin ups, just harder to do at the community gym. Cable machine curls are definitely not as good as db curls, by the way.

I'm pretty sure for bicep accessory movements you're supposed to keep reps higher than 5. Making biceps grow is all about time under tension. 5 reps on bicep curls and you're basically done before you break a sweat.

SeanR1221

Thanks everyone.

No, decrease your bench reps. Don't worry so much about your curl numbers

Chocobro

I slept poorly last night because I couldn't solve this problem and match it with the answer solution, so I decided to take it easy today and work more on form.
Squats: 90lbs 3x5
OHP: 65lbs 3x5
Chin-ups: 135lbs 7/3/3

I received my BlenderBottle from soap.com and it's time to have it cleaned for use on Wednesday. I tried ON Whey Protein Double Rich Chocolate with water yesterday and it wasn't too bad. I normally drink water so any good flavor added should be ok with me. Today I tried whey with milk at home and it tastes very good.
Not sure how to bring milk to my university and have it contained from 9AM-4PM without possible spoiling. My friend would freeze milk inside his blenderbottle overnight and put a scoop of whey in the morning when he takes it out at 9AM. By the time he would want to drink it at 3PM, it's all melted and ready to mix and drink. Anyone have suggestions? Do what my friend did? Just drink it with water?

Nelo Ice

Banned
So had to deload by 10% on my OHP and bench for greyskulll recently but I haven't been able to beat my reps for any of the deloads on the last set. Besides that I got my 5x3 2 plate squat today!. Was so dead by the last rep that I couldn't even rerack but luckily someone nearby bailed me out and helped me rerack.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So had to deload by 10% on my OHP and bench for greyskulll recently but I haven't been able to beat my reps for any of the deloads on the last set. Besides that I got my 5x3 2 plate squat today!. Was so dead by the last rep that I couldn't even rerack but luckily someone nearby bailed me out and helped me rerack.

Taco Bell gives strength!

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
I know these numbers aren't as much as most of you guys here, but I was so happy to hit PR after PR last week on 531:

205x1 Bench Press

280x3 Deadlift

135x3 OHP

230x3 Squat

These are all for the last set of week three before the deload.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Still on SS and making gains by the week! Thanks so much for the routine guys! Forearm pain is gone as well, thanks to not overdoing curls.

One thing I'm struggling with right now however is Pull ups. I've gotten stronger, but my ROM is terrible and it just isn't improving much. I'd like to incorporate them more than once a week... is this posssible without derailing the rest of my week?

Bump anybody?

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
As long as you're not doing them before any lifts that use the same muscles in a major way (e.g. deads) you can add more. If ROM is the problem though you'd be better off using an assisted pull-up machine before graduating to the full movement. Have you tried doing chins instead (palms facing towards you)?

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Dropped a 25 pound rubber plate on my big toe today. Motherfucking OW! That's gonna leave a bruise.

Zozobra

Can anyone refer me to a good article or a video on the hook grip?

I've watched/read a few, but this is such a strange thing to factor into my training as pain is usually my barometer of whether or not I'm doing something wrong. I guess I'm just not sure HOW it's supposed to hurt.

I worked my way up with DLs today using it, but on my work-weight sets (~270 lbs), it felt like my thumb was going to explode from the pressure... or something. It's hard to describe.

Anyways, any insight would be helpful, thanks guys!

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
As long as you're not doing them before any lifts that use the same muscles in a major way (e.g. deads) you can add more. If ROM is the problem though you'd be better off using an assisted pull-up machine before graduating to the full movement. Have you tried doing chins instead (palms facing towards you)?

Haven't tried that... would that improve the pull ups?

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Haven't tried that... would that improve the pull ups?
Chin-ups are easier than pull-ups for most people, so you would probably have better ROM. Once you got to the point where you could do sets of 10+ you could switch back to pull-ups.

I've watched/read a few, but this is such a strange thing to factor into my training as pain is usually my barometer of whether or not I'm doing something wrong. I guess I'm just not sure HOW it's supposed to hurt.

I worked my way up with DLs today using it, but on my work-weight sets (~270 lbs), it felt like my thumb was going to explode from the pressure... or something. It's hard to describe.

I'm kind of in the same boat as you, in that I've only recently started using it, but yeah, it's going to be uncomfortable/painful. Use chalk if you can, some people also apply athletic tape to their thumbs to cushion them a bit. One tip to remember is that you should be pointing your thumb forwards, not keeping it horizontal. Also, have you tried just using mixed grip instead?

TopDreg

I slept poorly last night because I couldn't solve this problem and match it with the answer solution, so I decided to take it easy today and work more on form.
Squats: 90lbs 3x5
OHP: 65lbs 3x5
Chin-ups: 135lbs 7/3/3

I received my BlenderBottle from soap.com and it's time to have it cleaned for use on Wednesday. I tried ON Whey Protein Double Rich Chocolate with water yesterday and it wasn't too bad. I normally drink water so any good flavor added should be ok with me. Today I tried whey with milk at home and it tastes very good.
Not sure how to bring milk to my university and have it contained from 9AM-4PM without possible spoiling. My friend would freeze milk inside his blenderbottle overnight and put a scoop of whey in the morning when he takes it out at 9AM. By the time he would want to drink it at 3PM, it's all melted and ready to mix and drink. Anyone have suggestions? Do what my friend did? Just drink it with water?

I stock two thermos cans full of milk when I go out with my backpack. Keeps the milk cold throughout the day, and covers about a third of a gallon.

Chocobro

I stock two thermos cans full of milk when I go out with my backpack. Keeps the milk cold throughout the day, and covers about a third of a gallon.

That's a good idea, wish I had an extra thermos now (one for milk and another for water though).. Do you have whey in a separate bag to mix with the milk? I might have worded my question poorly in my post :| I want to mix milk and whey protein after a workout.

Guess I'll put milk in my thermos, whey protein in my blender bottle, and use a water bottle for water if my friend's approach doesn't work that well. Maybe I could buy another thermos for water lol. Thanks TopDreg :)

Noema

Height: 5'"8
Weight: 159-163 it varies week to week.
Goal: build mass
Current Training Schedule: every other day.
Current Training Equipment Available: community gym with cable machine, occasional full gym.
Comments: frustrated.

I'm frustrated. I can't seem to go beyond 25 lbs bicep curls. I'm stuck at 150 lbs bench press, triceps are getting stronger I can do 30 lbs on each, 90 lbs pull downs.

I do 4 sets of everything, some times 10 reps each, occasionally 8. After all that lifting I do a two mile run.

I guess I need to reduce the running, don't I?

You need to switch to an actual strength training program instead of just wandering to the gym and see how many reps you can get.

I suggest starting strength.

Hook grip is gonna hurt. There's no way around it. It'll take some time to improve your tolerance to the pain, but it does get better.

Something that really helped me was, at the end of my workout, I'd hang from the pull-ups bar with a pronated grip using a hook grip and hold it for as long as I could. That built up my pain tolerance and also helped make my thumbs stronger. I went from not being able to hold the barbell at 390lb to repping 425lb really quickly.

Dropped a 25 pound rubber plate on my big toe today. Motherfucking OW! That's gonna leave a bruise.

You're lucky you didn't break anything! The other day a dude in another forum dropped a 25lb plate on his foot from about 4 feet and it completely shattered his bones.

Once I dropped a barbell (just the side) on my big toe and it hurt for like 8 weeks o_O

blackflag

Deadlift night, then T bar rows, pullups, seated rows, hammer strength pulldow, some biceps.....then off to Taco Bell for some 5 dollar box and a chance to win a PS4....the worst that'll happen is I'll get some gains.

Noema

Deadlift night, then T bar rows, pullups, seated rows, hammer strength pulldow, some biceps.....then off to Taco Bell for some 5 dollar box and a chance to win a PS4....the worst that'll happen is I'll get some gains.

Tacos, gainz and games.

MrOogieBoogie

Hey guys, I had a really exciting gym today (you know, aside from the massive bruise on my foot from dropping the weight on it).

So I started deadlifting from where I left off (painfully, mind you) last week: 185lbs for three sets of five reps. Before heading out to the gym I watched a brief tutorial on properly setting up for the deadlift as per Mark Rippetoe. Very informative video, and one that aided me tremendously today. So I do 5 reps at 185 with my new and improved technique and... holy shit, it felt very light. My buddy was with me, and he sort of encouraged me to try my hand at higher weights.

Keep in mind that I've only really been working the deadlift for a few months, and so I've never even attempted 200 pounds. But man, I felt good, and I kept lifting. Went up to 245 pounds, which is more than I've ever attempted in my life. It's just shy of 100 pounds above my bodyweight. Managed to lift it for one rep just to see if I could, and...

Here's what happened!

Success! I felt good enough to keep going, but was pressed for time and stopped there. No pain anywhere, felt amazing, and honestly I think I could have pulled at least 20-30 more pounds.

Just really wanted to share my excitement with everyone! I imagine as I keep putting on weight my deadlift will go up fairly quickly, especially now that I feel like I have a solid understanding of the mechanics behind it.

But please, if you have any thoughts on my form and would like to share, I would appreciate it very much.

Hey guys, I had a really exciting gym today (you know, aside from the massive bruise on my foot from dropping the weight on it).

So I started deadlifting from where I left off (painfully, mind you) last week: 185lbs for three sets of five reps. Before heading out to the gym I watched a brief tutorial on properly setting up for the deadlift as per Mark Rippetoe. Very informative video, and one that aided me tremendously today. So I do 5 reps at 185 with my new and improved technique and... holy shit, it felt very light. My buddy was with me, and he sort of encouraged me to try my hand at higher weights.

Keep in mind that I've only really been working the deadlift for a few months, and so I've never even attempted 200 pounds. But man, I felt good, and I kept lifting. Went up to 245 pounds, which is more than I've ever attempted in my life. It's just shy of 100 pounds above my bodyweight. Managed to lift it for one rep just to see if I could, and...

Here's what happened!

Success! I felt good enough to keep going, but was pressed for time and stopped there. No pain anywhere, felt amazing, and honestly I think I could have pulled at least 20-30 more pounds.

Just really wanted to share my excitement with everyone! I imagine as I keep putting on weight my deadlift will go up fairly quickly, especially now that I feel like I have a solid understanding of the mechanics behind it.

But please, if you have any thoughts on my form and would like to share, I would appreciate it very much.

you made it look easy, congrats

Noema

Here's what happened!

Your deadlifts look good. Maybe you could start with 225lb as your working weight and do your progression from there.

MrOogieBoogie

You're lucky you didn't break anything! The other day a dude in another forum dropped a 25lb plate on his foot from about 4 feet and it completely shattered his bones.

Yeah, I know man. Once it happened I didn't even scream. Just looked at the guy next to me who saw it as well and I basically whispered, "Fuck..." to him, and he acknowledged like, "Yeah, that must have hurt." It's rough walking on my feet at the moment, and the little area just above my big toe is nice and bruised right now, but it could've been far worse like you said (had it been, say, a metal plate and not a rubber one).

Shouldn't be too bad, though. It's not like it's swelled an enormous amount or anything (might overnight), but at least the pain is tolerable and I can still walk around.

Of course this had to happen on a day where I felt so amazing at the gym. Of course!

Zozobra

I'm kind of in the same boat as you, in that I've only recently started using it, but yeah, it's going to be uncomfortable/painful. Use chalk if you can, some people also apply athletic tape to their thumbs to cushion them a bit. One tip to remember is that you should be pointing your thumb forwards, not keeping it horizontal. Also, have you tried just using mixed grip instead?

Hmmm, can you elaborate on the pointing direction? I'm gripping it in such a way that the last joint in my thumb (the tip) is parallel with the bar, which is what it appears to be in the pictures/videos I've seen.

Hook grip is gonna hurt. There's no way around it. It'll take some time to improve your tolerance to the pain, but it does get better.

Something that really helped me was, at the end of my workout, I'd hang from the pull-ups bar with a pronated grip using a hook grip and hold it for as long as I could. That built up my pain tolerance and also helped make my thumbs stronger. I went from not being able to hold the barbell at 390lb to repping 425lb really quickly.

So let's say when I'm doing a DL and have picked the bar up off the ground, should the side of my thumb be mashed into the side of the bar, or should the thumb be wrapped underneath with the bar resting on top? Hope that makes sense.

I'll definitely have to try doing some hangs when I've got this grip down proper.

Chocobro

So let's say when I'm doing a DL and have picked the bar up off the ground, should the side of my thumb be mashed into the side of the bar, or should the thumb be wrapped underneath with the bar resting on top? Hope that makes sense.

I'll definitely have to try doing some hangs when I've got this grip down proper.

It should be the latter. Elliott Hulse shows it in this video. CanditoTrainingHQ showed another way of the hook grip but I don't like it as much as the one Elliott Hulse showed.

Cagey

Banned
So, fitbros, question.

At the gym today, I saw one of the trainers -- a linebacker in a 5'9" body, just an insane physique -- performing an exercise I'd never seen before.

He got on the bench, racked 225, held the bar at the ready position, and then lowered one side of the bar to his chest, then raised it to resting position, lowered the other side, and proceeded to alternate for 5-6 reps before finishing with a couple standard bench press reps.

Dafuq? Is this something that exists with a purpose? Is it for core work? Is it being overly cute despite obvious injury risks to the shoulder joint and potential pec tears?

Cudder

Here's what happened!

Great work man. You definitely could pull more. I think you (and most people as well) grossly underestimate their own strength.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Hmmm, can you elaborate on the pointing direction? I'm gripping it in such a way that the last joint in my thumb (the tip) is parallel with the bar, which is what it appears to be in the pictures/videos I've seen.

This is the article which helped me the most with the hook grip. For the pointing thing, try this. Make a hook grip one one hand (without holding anything) where your thumb is straight and horizontal across the tips of your other fingers. Then squeeze that hand with your other. You'll find that even if you tighten/grip really hard, your hand will compress pretty easily. Now change the grip so that your thumb is pointing more forwards, towards your palm (this is kind of hard to explain without pics, but going from _ to \ ). With your hand like this you can squeeze as hard as you can but your hand won't budge.

abuC

I haven't posted many pics lately or any video overall, but I took some video of my last set on decline bench today, I wish I recorded the first one though as I hit 26 reps @ 225lbs and only stopped because I had 5 more sets after it. I will definitely get that next week, I've never tried to rep out before but I'm certain I can get 30-32 reps @ 225.

I did the first 3 sets at 225 since I hadn't been in the gym since thursday and figured I'd be a bit off and this being a depletion day. I did 225x3 reps ranged from 20-26, and 245x3x15 with this being the last set -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4ATwnDXGaQ

Sorry for the shitty angle and camera work, that's the only place I could put my phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom