• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
My ass should be classified as a WMD.

I'm so foul, I sleep in the other bedroom most of the time.

Gonna contact Beano, does that stuff work?, and see if they have a sponsorship program.

Gonna contact Beano, does that stuff work?, and see if they have a sponsorship program.

you need to learn to channel your protein farts to your benefits. Someone else using the squat rack? no problemo just walk on by and let it rip to clear it up

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
So on you next session you do: 100*0'9=90lb 3x5. So you'd do 90lb on Monday, then 92.5lb Friday, 95lb on Wednesday.

Hm, alright. I've never seen any plates smaller than 2.5lbs at the gym, but regardless, I get the point you're making and will do the best I can to work on it.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
you need to learn to channel your protein farts to your benefits. Someone else using the squat rack? no problemo just walk on by and let it rip to clear it up

I lift at home, I feel bad for my fiancee.

I spent ~2 hours in the garage lifting...there's two big cat litter boxes, my stench overpowers them with little effort. She baked some brownies and once I opened the door it turned into to the shit abyss with my shit molecules clinging to the air. The house now had a shit brownie smell, she had to light some smelly candles to combat my septic gas stench.

: /

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
hey abuC if you're a Breaking Bad fan and haven't watched the finale, don't touch any Chiv servers. :|

Had that shit spoiled and I still have yet to watch the final season. I guess that goes for any game really.

Noema

I won't be able to watch the finale until tomorrow evening.

Please don't spoil anything guys :( this is the only thread I'll be visiting until then.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Don't worry. I'm just bummed I didn't think to NOT GO ONLINE with any game. Foolishness.

1378168_597534256959842_1364923506_n.jpg

me and my fit bros. i'm middle, holding the phone.

J. Bravo

That's probably one of the most homosexual pictures I've ever seen. At least when my friends and I take pics like that we make sure to get at least 1 female in there
no we dont

--

Anyways, I'm going to restart this cycle of 5/3/1 tomorrow because I've been sick, and I'm going to use 90% of my 1RM to calculate the numbers. I just think that I'm going to switch the days that Squats and dead lifts are on because I haven't squatted in a long time.

I've always wanted to know what smoking does to my body while gyming. Not while I gym obviously... I dont smoke a lot but maybe a pack 'o 20s a week maybe more. Any info guys?

me and my fit bros. i'm middle, holding the phone.

Four dudes, no chicks? Check.
Sagging pants? Check.
All white bros? Check.
Not overweight with some abs showing? Check.

Boy band status, confirmed! Just messin' with you, of course. :)

I've always wanted to know what smoking does to my body while gyming. Not while I gym obviously... I dont smoke a lot but maybe a pack 'o 20s a week maybe more. Any info guys?

It won't make your workouts pointless by any means, but I guarantee you will not be as healthy overall compared to if you didn't smoke any cigarettes. Overtime, I anticipate it will hinder your cardio/respiratory function to some extent, which may not hurt you too badly for weight lifting but won't make high- or low-intensity cardio very much fun.

It's probably not going to hurt your strength gains necessarily but it will make it harder to do more volume. It will probably mean you will tire out a lost faster. Certainly it will make any form of cardio not very pleasant for you. If your goals are to get healthier than that's probably where i'd start.

Personally as a nurse i've seen too much of what smoking does to people and i would never go there.

Shadybiz

I've had mixed results with Beano, personally, but peoples' bodies are different.

What really works for me are chlorophyll tablets. I can now drink beer without worrying about whether I'm gonna clear out a bar. They might make your poop turn a shade of green, and you'll still probably fart, but it won't smell anywhere near as bad.

These worked for me: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013OVYCA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Suuuure look fit to me

It's tough for me, as a muscle man, to accept this! But I have to remember fit-gaf isn't bout that life all the time.

Only some of us!

Mark1

Right I have not been to the gym for a while, money has been an issue for me. I want to go back to my gym so I'm trying to save some money and pay monthly.

Secondly, I've been doing 8k runs for the past 2 Sundays, my feet have been sore ever since the first run. Is there a reason why I'm still feeling pains this late on? Could it be related to DOMS?

G.ZZZ

It's tough for me, as a muscle man, to accept this! But I have to remember fit-gaf isn't bout that life all the time.

Only some of us!

Beware of that Bigorexia!

Jokes aside, good for you but i think most people have the ideal body shape somewhere around brad pitt, not Rambo. Like , i wouldn't mind to be Rambo, but it's probably some hard shit to sustain in term of diets, can't eat that much =(

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Beware of that Bigorexia!

Jokes aside, good for you but i think most people have the ideal body shape somewhere around brad pitt, not Rambo. Like , i wouldn't mind to be Rambo, but it's probably some hard shit to sustain in term of diets, can't eat that much =(

That Brad Pitt Fight Club image is such an unrealistic way to live. Rambo's much more doable and survivable.

EDIT: Maybe not, I don't remember him looking so dehydrated

lD4pdDl.jpg

Most "fit" dudes you see on the screen have unsustainable bodies as they go on crazy bulks&cuts+severe dehydration for their scenes.
I believe Thor-dude could fainted a couple of times on the set because of this.

With that said, you can probably maintain abs all year round so long as you can a solid enough core (don't even need to go down that low BF% wise, but that's all genetics).

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
That Brad Pitt Fight Club image is such an unrealistic way to live. Rambo's much more doable and survivable.

EDIT: Maybe not, I don't remember him looking so dehydrated

lD4pdDl.jpg

JCVD has one of the most realistically sustainable physiques of any action hero I can think of:

2010040713265201.jpg

...to an extent. lol

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
This Rambo on the other hand is so much more...normal.

UvxrftK.jpg

G.ZZZ

This Rambo on the other hand is so much more...normal.

UvxrftK.jpg

Except he's really not. He's fucking huge.

I dunno maybe it's about me being european, but most dudes in american films are so fucking huge from my PoV. Even the big dudes in my gym are much smaller. To who used Thor as an example, Thor is fucking huge too.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Except he's really not. He's fucking huge.

For someone who can't break 10% body fat that kind of bigness is impossible.

'normal' as in...maintainable. He's so great in his elder years. What a beast.

I wish I was one of you 10% people, sheeit. I could do so much different. Right now all I can do is tip over cars and thanks to my bench work, shove people REALLY hard.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
yes I was recently in the crossfit thread.. no I don't wish to carry that debate on here...

anyway, I've really hit a turning point with my oly lifts. both snatch and clean I am finally feeling that explosion out of the pocket with full extension. Cleans this has changed life for the better.. I mean my "weights" have dropped, but.... not really considering my actual pull is 100 times better. More like I'm actually at where I am really at.

Snatches... I had to widen my grip to get full extension and now I have zero stability under the bar catching in a full squat (and I only widened it maybe an inch on each side at most). So if I narrow my grip I don't get full extension but have better stability. Have been pointed in the direction of doing work with snatch balance and behind the neck push press. Also overhead squat but my current mobility actually makes OHS tough at my actual snatch grip width.

Still, cleans with a full explosive extension are just amazing as you actually feel you pulling yourself under the weightless bar. I get the same feeling on the squat snatches, but actually catching them is pretty low weight right now (much lower than I actually pull) or else the bar falls forward... grr.... can be helped mildly by catching them in a power or quarter squat which gives me a little better stability.

G.ZZZ

I wish I was one of you 10% people, sheeit. I could do so much different. Right now all I can do is tip over cars and thanks to my bench work, shove people REALLY hard.

He looks much more natural now that when he was super veiny in his early films (except first Rocky) for sure.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
He looks much more natural now that when he was super veiny in his early films (except first Rocky) for sure.

Yeah. I love the way his physical appearance ended up for the last Rambo movie. Looked just like an anvil of muscle. Great look, one I want to end up with.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Height: 5'"8
Weight: 159-163 it varies week to week.
Goal: build mass
Current Training Schedule: every other day.
Current Training Equipment Available: community gym with cable machine, occasional full gym.
Comments: frustrated.

I'm frustrated. I can't seem to go beyond 25 lbs bicep curls. I'm stuck at 150 lbs bench press, triceps are getting stronger I can do 30 lbs on each, 90 lbs pull downs.

I do 4 sets of everything, some times 10 reps each, occasionally 8. After all that lifting I do a two mile run.

I guess I need to reduce the running, don't I?

agrajag

Banned

you know he's on HGH right?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
IMHO, strict pullups instead of bicep curls. If you don't have strict pullups then use a resistance band at the most minimal resistance you can to get strict pullups and then slowly work to ween yourself off of the band(s).

also if you want to stick with "x set of y reps" and you are looking to build strength, you are going to need to lower your reps and increase your weight. should be easy to do on bench press. bicep curls will be difficult to do as the next likely increase (30lb) is in reality a 20% increase. that is a massive jump. if you go with pullups you have much finer control over your weights (either by mixing resistance bands or if you have a strict pull up then starting to do weighted strict pullups). It sounds like you are at a gym with machines.. if so, they also might have a pullup/dip assistance machine. This will let you build up to strict pullups/dips in lieu of resistance bands.

it's easier to add like 5% on to your body weight (8lb) for a pullup than it is to add 5% onto a dumbbell for bicep curls (1.25lb)

SeanR1221

Height: 5'"8
Weight: 159-163 it varies week to week.
Goal: build mass
Current Training Schedule: every other day.
Current Training Equipment Available: community gym with cable machine, occasional full gym.
Comments: frustrated.

I'm frustrated. I can't seem to go beyond 25 lbs bicep curls. I'm stuck at 150 lbs bench press, triceps are getting stronger I can do 30 lbs on each, 90 lbs pull downs.

I do 4 sets of everything, some times 10 reps each, occasionally 8. After all that lifting I do a two mile run.

I guess I need to reduce the running, don't I?

No you need to reduce your reps.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Thanks everyone.

I'm going to keep the run and increase to 30 lbs with 3 sets, 5 reps each for curls.
I'll do something similar with the chest.

I will also mix in the chin ups, just harder to do at the community gym. Cable machine curls are definitely not as good as db curls, by the way.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
My wrists keep getting fucked when I do heavy bicep curls. I'm trying to figure out if that's the cause - as I struggle and work hard to make sure my wrists stay supine, but it might also be the "one hour every day" session of Spelunky on the Vita that's doing me in.

Anyone else experience wrist discomfort and stiffness after moving up on them curls?

Groof

Hey guys! Me and my dad bought 2kg of chicken breasts and I was wondering if I could get some tips on stuff to do with them.
Thanks! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom