• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

TopDreg

That's a good idea, wish I had an extra thermos now (one for milk and another for water though).. Do you have whey in a separate bag to mix with the milk? I might have worded my question poorly in my post :| I want to mix milk and whey protein after a workout.

Guess I'll put milk in my thermos, whey protein in my blender bottle, and use a water bottle for water if my friend's approach doesn't work that well. Maybe I could buy another thermos for water lol. Thanks TopDreg :)

Yep! I would do just that haha

So, I'm still using my Chuck Taylor's for weightlifting, and so far, they've been pretty good. I've wondered if actual powerlifting shoes would go a long way for me. Of course, there's the expense. I've considered buying a pair since my squat is starting to get shaky, of which I've just ordered a belt to help counteract that (the EliteFTS Economy Belt). Any opinions on if a pair would be a good investment as well?

Cudder

Does anyone like not using the weight stoppers in the gym? Because lately I've been ditching them on bench press and squats because I like the subtle "rattle" the plates make when I power through a rep. I feel more powerful lol.

abuC

Does anyone like not using the weight stoppers in the gym? Because lately I've been ditching them on bench press and squats because I like the subtle "rattle" the plates make when I power through a rep. I feel more powerful lol.

I don't use them on bench or squats but I use them when I row, deadlift and shrug.

They are kind of dangerous on the bench, kind of useless on the squat and OHP and necessary on the deadlift.

The rattle pumps me up big time!

SeanR1221

5/3/1 question.

Sunday, yesterday and today I've been way busier than usual with work related stuff and couldn't fit in my 1s bench day.

Things should open up starting tomorrow, which is also my squat day.

Should I just combine the two workouts? Remember, my squats aren't really heavy right now as I'm still easing back into them. I figured that was better than skipping my Bench 1s week all together.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
5/3/1 question.

Sunday, yesterday and today I've been way busier than usual with work related stuff and couldn't fit in my 1s bench day.

Should I just combine the two workouts? Remember, my squats aren't really heavy right now as I'm still easing back into them. I figured that was better than skipping my Bench 1s week all together.
If you think you can fit it in, go for it. The next week is a deload anyway, right?

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
5/3/1 question.

Why not just push forward your workouts? Do you have to do them on specific days? Better to miss a deload workout than a 1-workout, imo.

I'm not too concerned at what day, or if I miss a few days, I do a specific workout, I just follow the progression.

Szu

Excuse me, I leaving now to go to GNC.
WhAIS.gif

Vio-Lence

Banned
Why not just push forward your workouts? Do you have to do them on specific days? Better to miss a deload workout than a 1-workout, imo.

I'm not too concerned at what day, or if I miss a few days, I do a specific workout, I just follow the progression.

I have the same mentality friend.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I cant do a standing reverse curl. Is there an alternative that has same affect?

more compound, but any sort of close grip press (bench press, strict press, pushup, handstand pushup, etc). your hands should be shoulder width and you concentrate on keeping your elbows as in as possible. obviously these will also hit either your shoulders or your chest, but using an extremely close grip and keeping your elbows in absolutely works your triceps, hard. the closer you move your hands together, the more you work the triceps (diamond pushups, bench press with hands thumb length apart, etc)

despire

First ever UD 2.0 depletion workout done. One of the hardest if not the hardest workouts I've ever done. High reps and ~1min long sets equals pain.

And I have to do it again tomorrow. fml

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Wasn't feeling well yesterday so I took it off. Just got done with chest/bis and doing deadlifts/abs this afternoon after work. This should be interesting.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
I have the same mentality friend.

Great minds, etc. friend.

No need to take the 'Weeks' too serious.

That said, I got 3 reps easy at 120 kg for Squat 3-week, where I struggled to get two during previous 1-week. Felt good.
BBB-squats afterwards at 70kg all but killed me though.

deadbeef

First ever UD 2.0 depletion workout done. One of the hardest if not the hardest workouts I've ever done. High reps and ~1min long sets equals pain.

Nice! Keep us updated with your results!

Are you going to be using an EC stack or yohimbine hcl? What about steady state fasted cardio? I found that to be very helpful on like Wednesday or Thursday mornings.

Pete Rock

Before heading out to the gym I watched a brief tutorial on properly setting up for the deadlift as per Mark Rippetoe. Very informative video, and one that aided me tremendously today.
Yep, his setup cues are all on point. Crowd the bar! I like to review his stuff every few months and check my notes just to make sure I'm fresh with positive mental cues for each lift.

I was in a similar situation, my deadlifts were really lagging and my sumo stance and improper mechanics were to blame. It felt wrong because it was wrong, so I should have fixed that instead of widening my stance as that loaded my lower back, was counter productive to legitimate strength gains and set me back a few days due to stressing a disk pulling 275 a few months back. Squats always felt stronger for me, so I think I was effectively trying to emulate the deeper opening at the hips, etc... bad idea.

Last night was a great Monday with 3 PRs, but at this point I need to focus on getting bench up to 225 and deadlift up to 350.

Work sets at 175lb:
Squat: 315
Bench: 200
Deadlift: 300
Rows: 180

Be smart, be strong, go go FitGAF!

Doodis

Any good suggestions for a pre-workout drink?

Also, my ring fingers and pinkies get numb after doing dips, and stay that way all day. Should I be worried?

despire

Nice! Keep us updated with your results!

Are you going to be using an EC stack or yohimbine hcl? What about steady state fasted cardio? I found that to be very helpful on like Wednesday or Thursday mornings.

Yeah will do.

And no, I'm not using neither one. Ephedrine is illegal and practically impossible to come by in Finland and I believe even yohimbine is banned in the EU. And it costs quite a lot to order it from US. I could consider it if it really helps.

Concerning the cardio, I'm probably doing it on thursday and friday mornings (at least on this week). I moved the cycle ahead one day so my depletion workouts are on tuesday/wednesday, tension on friday and power workout on sunday.

Edit:
Apparently Primaforce Yohimbine HCL is "Buy 2, Get 1 Free" on BB.com with 6$ shipping to Finland. Tempted to get some.

Edit2:
Ok, apparently they won't ship that stuff to Finland. Have to do without.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Yep, his setup cues are all on point. Crowd the bar! I like to review his stuff every few months and check my notes just to make sure I'm fresh with positive mental cues for each lift.

I was in a similar situation, my deadlifts were really lagging and my sumo stance and improper mechanics were to blame. It felt wrong because it was wrong, so I should have fixed that instead of widening my stance as that loaded my lower back, was counter productive to legitimate strength gains and set me back a few days due to stressing a disk pulling 275 a few months back. Squats always felt stronger for me, so I think I was effectively trying to emulate the deeper opening at the hips, etc... bad idea.
very common with dead lifts, even when you've been doing them a while with "ok" form. "Your legs bend, therefore you are lifting with your legs" "lift with your legs, not with your back" etc.

The cue I just used for my daughter was "lumbar back, tall shoulder, now push your butt back and keep pushing until you can grab the bar. now do the EXACT opposite movement to lift the bar"

the leg bend is to SOLELY accommodate loading your back/hips. I definitely had problems with this also.

lifting a dead lift should move/look exactly like (for guys) you are thrusting on your partner ;) any more leg than just barely enough to load your back and you are kind of defeating the purpose of the lift.

abuC

Depletion day 2 sucks just as hard

Welcome to the club of misery and may your carb up day be a joyous occasion.

Can I get some advice on adding Triceps/Biceps exercises to Starting Strength? I generally add weighted dips to my A workout, and add curls to B. Could I be doing this better?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Can I get some advice on adding Triceps/Biceps exercises to Starting Strength? I generally add weighted dips to my A workout, and add curls to B. Could I be doing this better?

Never hurts to throw those on imho. It depends on how spent you are and recovering with SS, but if you can do high volume vanity curls, do em. same with dips. I do curls after every workout because I'm vain.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
My double day went pretty well. Anytime you can flat bench 150lb DBs for 6 and deadlift 455x5 in one day I'd call it a successful day!

J. Bravo

Turns out mono and an abscess on my tonsil are not conducive to lifting :( probably have to take another week off after I get out of the hospital, which means 4 weeks or so total...

Not entirely sure where I'm going to start the long road back to my gains.

Turns out mono and an abscess on my tonsil are not conducive to lifting :( probably have to take another week off after I get out of the hospital, which means 4 weeks or so total...

i had mono really bad in college and was in the hospital for 2 or 3 days. it was so bad i could barely breath and couldn't swallow anything when i went in. shit was awful, hope you get better soon man. i definitely welted away pounds, my throat hurt soooo much swallowing just air yet alone food

Cudder

at the gym and I'm sitting on a toilet because every. single. time. i take Jack3d I immediately have to take a shit. PWOs hardly do anything for me, I'm just taking it to finish the bottle because I paid for it. I'm done with PWOs i swear. 30 mins wasted.

/rant

Teggy

That sucks. I had mono at the ripe old age of 29 and got lucky because I had just left my job and was taking 2 months off prior to grad school. I was on the couch for at least a month resting. No hospital time, though.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
So I found a house, but that's not the reason for this post. The reason for this post is while taking down my pull up bar that mounts on the door frame I noticed the side opposite of the one I pull on is coming away from the wall/door. If this had continued to come off I would have ended up busting my ass hard as hell.

So anyone using these things, check your doors men.

TopDreg

Sigh. My roommate is one of those people who believes SS is mostly legs and would rather do many isolations. Stubborn fool.

despire

So yesterday I noticed something and i'd like some opinions.

Let me preface this with the fact that my right pectoral is considerably smaller than my left one. Like probably 25% smaller. I've wondered why this is and now I think I know why.

When doing my depletion routine, it was pretty easy to know which muscles were working since the burn was pretty intense. And I noticed that my right tricep was working/burning much more than my left one. It felt like on my left side, the weight was more evenly distributed across my tris and pec while on my right side my tris were working much harder. The right tricep was also the weakest link during the set, failing when my left side still had some juice left. This also indicates to me that the muscle was working harder than the opposite side.

So it's like I though, my right pec is underdeveloped because the tricep does most of the work. I guess it's an issue with form? Not sure why but my right side has sometimes trouble staying tucked in and tends to slip out more..

Thoughts?

abuC

So yesterday I noticed something and i'd like some opinions.

Let me preface this with the fact that my right pectoral is considerably smaller than my left one. Like probably 25% smaller. I've wondered why this is and now I think I know why.

When doing my depletion routine, it was pretty easy to know which muscles were working since the burn was pretty intense. And I noticed that my right tricep was working/burning much more than my left one. It felt like on my left side, the weight was more evenly distributed across my tris and pec while on my right side my tris were working much harder. The right tricep was also the weakest link during the set, failing when my left side still had some juice left. This also indicates to me that the muscle was working harder than the opposite side.

So it's like I though, my right pec is underdeveloped because the tricep does most of the work. I guess it's an issue with form? Not sure why but my right side has sometimes trouble staying tucked in and tends to slip out more..

Thought?

I'm right handed, yet my left side is stronger on pretty much every lift and my left bicep is a bit more developed, so sometimes that's just how it goes.

Do you use DBs when you bench? That would help balance them out.

despire

I'm right handed, yet my left side is stronger on pretty much every lift and my left bicep is a bit more developed, so sometimes that's just how it goes.

Do you use DBs when you bench? That would help balance them out.

I've basically only used barbells on my main lifts. Latel y I've been using DB's on assistance bench if I'm doing it. But yeah, I haven't really done DB bench.

I've been thinking about using DB's on depletion days since it's such a hassle to load/unload the barbell. And we don't have machines for that. Anyone have experience on UD 2.0 and using DB's?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
So after 3 weeks of doing no back work (since I hit 600lb deadlift) I decide to go back in today and go easy a bit. My intention is to work form so I'm using more ham and doing less of a stiff leg deadlift. This is what happened.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX1er4E0CsQ

Weak like baby bird! I also came to the conclusion I fucking hate straps for deadlift, especially for reps. Setting up properly is a bitch. So from now on when I do reps I will reset completely each rep.

After this I did 405 for reps and I found my "perfect" setup. I needed to be closer to the bar. Now when I initiate movement there is no "lag" between me moving and the bar leaving the floor. It caught me off guard it was so fast, unfortunately I didn't film that. But it's good to know I have some things to work on and I'm on the right track.

Petrie

Banned
I miss this thread. All these little injuries leading to me taking a 5 day break just to let my body catch-up, all ready to go today, but now my left ankle feels off. It's bench/OHP today so it shouldn't get in the way, but here's hoping it feels good before tomorrows squats/deads!

I want to get back to getting BIG!

SeanR1221

So after 3 weeks of doing no back work (since I hit 600lb deadlift) I decide to go back in today and go easy a bit. My intention is to work form so I'm using more ham and doing less of a stiff leg deadlift. This is what happened.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX1er4E0CsQ

Weak like baby bird! I also came to the conclusion I fucking hate straps for deadlift, especially for reps. Setting up properly is a bitch. So from now on when I do reps I will reset completely each rep.

After this I did 405 for reps and I found my "perfect" setup. I needed to be closer to the bar. Now when I initiate movement there is no "lag" between me moving and the bar leaving the floor. It caught me off guard it was so fast, unfortunately I didn't film that. But it's good to know I have some things to work on and I'm on the right track.

I miss this thread. All these little injuries leading to me taking a 5 day break just to let my body catch-up, all ready to go today, but now my left ankle feels off. It's bench/OHP today so it shouldn't get in the way, but here's hoping it feels good before tomorrows squats/deads!

I want to get back to getting BIG!

Just get back to it and slam them big weights, fellas.

despire

Second UD 2.0 Depletion workout done. I guess it was as hard as the first one but I knew what to expect so it felt a bit easier. Luckily my muscles weren't suffering from any crippling DOMS after yesterday. Might feel worse tomorrow though..

Also these depletion workouts seem to take 1,5 - 2 hrs for me. I think yesterday was little less than 2hrs (I think) and today was maybe 1 hr 40min. Is this the normal time? I'm using Lyle's template from the book and I don't really do supersets except with curls and tricep pushdowns so I guess it will take time..

Also can I use maltodextrin in my shakes before/on/after tension and power workouts. Lyle says to use glucose so my first choice would be dextrose but I can't find it anywhere. It's like they don't sell it anymore in Finland, wtf..

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Just get back to it and slam them big weights, fellas.

Oh, yeah, don't get me wrong. I knew I'd be weaker going into today both not having done back in such a long time and trying to tighten my technique down, I just didn't know it would be like THIS.

I know it will come back quick, it was just funny as hell to go from an easy 520 for 3 to that mess at 505 with straps, lol.

SeanR1221

Oh, yeah, don't get me wrong. I knew I'd be weaker going into today both not having done back in such a long time and trying to tighten my technique down, I just didn't know it would be like THIS.

I know it will come back quick, it was just funny as hell to go from an easy 520 for 3 to that mess at 505 with straps, lol.

That's why I'm happy I'm learning these new deadlift tips now at a lower weight. My DL feels so much stronger/tighter than before.

I wanna pull more but I know I have to take it slow

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Sigh. My roommate is one of those people who believes SS is mostly legs and would rather do many isolations. Stubborn fool.

Surpass him or her, and show them the will of iron.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

I did my time! I don't work in as bad a spot of town as you do though. 7 years in a rough, rough spot of town. I'll never forget where I came from though.

But I sure as shit look like a poser now.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Man, my lower back is STILL sore from those heavy (for me) deadlifts on Monday. Don't think I've ever had DOMS like this in that area. It's not painful bad form soreness either; just that I worked those muscles so hard.

Btw Shogun, could you check my form video on the last page and lemme know what you think?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I did my time! I don't work in as bad a spot of town as you do though. 7 years in a rough, rough spot of town. I'll never forget where I came from though.

But I sure as shit look like a poser now.

One of these days my beard will be as thick as kevlar and deflect the shanks automatically.

Man, my lower back is STILL sore from those heavy (for me) deadlifts on Monday. Don't think I've ever had DOMS like this in that area. It's not painful bad form soreness either; just that I worked those muscles so hard.

Yeah, low back can take a beating it also gets weak again fast as hell, just like abs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom