• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never give up, never surrender.

Iron Eagle.

How much you eating? I'm eating between 4,000-4,200 per day and yeah it can suck....but then sometimes....I'm still hungry.

Yeah, I'm at the same as well.

I'm shocked people struggle to meet the calorie count lol. Taco Bell meals alone would push well over 1000. Qdoba and chipotle will both push to 1000. Burgers have a ton, peanut butter, protein and milk, etc.

Eating that much every day can just wear on you. There are times where I am still full from the night before but I have to eat something. That being said, it is because my diet was more carb heavy, high glycemic. But man, I just get beat up sometimes lol. Still eating though. I will get 260/265.

As an ex-fat every time someone complains about being tired of eating I
jG3o3XTljxK7H_e.jpg

man up!

abuC

As an ex-fat every time someone complains about being tired of eating I
jG3o3XTljxK7H_e.jpg

Former fatty here, you'll never see me complain about bulking or my carb up days, I live for those moments!

1400-1600g of carbs is light work, I have to stop myself from eating.

Shadybiz

I'm shocked people struggle to meet the calorie count lol. Taco Bell meals alone would push well over 1000. Qdoba and chipotle will both push to 1000. Burgers have a ton, peanut butter, protein and milk, etc.

ha well to be honest, I just found out last week that I was eating nowhere near enough on most days, so I tried to ramp it up pretty quickly. It's a little bit of a shock to the system, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. I had 3 soft tacos and a Volcano burrito today; that was damn good.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Dem back pumpz. I just slept the best I've slept in probably years. Not sure if it was the back work yesterday or what. But man was that nice.

Quick brag before bed:

Today wifey deadlifted 145x4 and pressed 85x1. Sunday she also squatted 145x5 and benched 110x1. She is 5'4" 130lbs.

Strong wimmins is sexay

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I went to the gym a little later tonight and it was packed! New faces which means new Dbags. Usually I squat and do muscle and pull ups but my left knee has a bit of tendonitis so I'm giving it a rest. Instead I superset kneeling cable pull downs with my usual pull ups.

The are 2 places to do pull ups and they are in between the cables which happened to be filled with people tonight. I'm lucky enough to find a cable and my favorite equipment attachment so I put a towel down and walk across the gym to get a mat. I come back and there is a guy in his early thirties with shorts way up his thighs and one of those tight tank tops with spaghetti straps undoing my handle. I quickly start speeding up and inform him that I just arrived, put my towel down, and went to get a mat. He gives me a smug looks and a fake sorry.

Doesn't bother me. Move the fuck out of my way and don't talk to me. I could tell by his very loud conversation and exaggerated gestures that he was a tool. I had a tshirt on. I honestly looked fairly small today. Tons of bigger guys! Everywhere. Not particularly strong but big nonetheless. I can't help to scan the gym for strong dudes. I like getting advice.

I start doing my routine. Five muscle ups straight into 10 pull ups. Abs withs a 45lb plate attached for 25. Rest. Heavy breathing. Back up for 4 more muscle ups and 10 pull ups. My feet don't touch the ground when transitioning into the pull up. I do 4 sets of this and I'm done. It might take 30 minutes.

It feels like I'm performing to tell you the truth. No one there does stuff like that so it is definitely unique. It reminds me of being at the plate in high school baseball.

Ok, pointless story over.

I went to the gym a little later tonight and it was packed! New faces which means new Dbags. Usually I squat and do muscle and pull ups but my left knee has a bit of tendonitis so I'm giving it a rest. Instead I supersetting kneeling cable pull downs with my usual pull ups.

The are 2 places to do pull ups and they are in between the cables which happen to be filled with people tonight. I'm lucky enough to find a cable and my favorite equipment attachment so I put a towel down and walk across the gym to get a mat. I come back and There is a guy in his early thirties witg shorts weigh up his thighs and one of those tight tank tops with spaghetti straps undoing my handle. I quickly start speeding up and inform him that I just arrived, put my towel down, and went to get a mat. He gives me a smug looks and a fake sorry.

Doesn't bother me. Move the fuck out of my way and don't talk to me. I can tell by his very loud conversation and exaggerated gestures that he was a tool. I had a tshirt on. I honestly looked fairly small today. Tons of bigger guys! Everywhere. Not particularly strong but big nonetheless. I can't help to scan the gym for strong dudes. I like getting advice.

I start doing my routine. Five muscle ups straight into 10 pull ups. Abs withs a 45lb plate attached for 25. Rest. Heavy breathing. Back up for 4 more muscle ups and 10 pull ups. My feet don't touch the ground when transitioning into the pull up. I do 4 sets of this and I'm done. It might take 30 minutes.

It feels like I'm performing to tell you the truth. No one there does stuff like that so it is definitely unique. It reminds me of being at the plate in high school baseball.

Ok, pointless story over.

Just reading this put hair on my chest

blackflag

Well i try to get most of my calories from like chicken breast, veges, and like brown rice or something. If I was just gonna eat 4 taco bell boxes or 4 dijornos pizzas it'd be easy as fuck. I usually reserve like 1k cal per day for taco bell or pizza or burgers or whatever and like 500 for ice cream.

I ate 4,500 today though and I could easily keep eating. It just depends on the day.

TopDreg

Take whoever you want! WE ARE BARBARIANS, gotta live that barbarian life.

Lemme just grow out dat manly beard

Deadlift is at 275 lbs now. Mmm... at 5' 8", approx. 166 lbs, is it about time to take the deadlift to a once-every-fifth-day lift in SS and squats to 10 lb progression per week?

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Well i try to get most of my calories from like chicken breast, veges, and like brown rice or something. If I was just gonna eat 4 taco bell boxes or 4 dijornos pizzas it'd be easy as fuck. I usually reserve like 1k cal per day for taco bell or pizza or burgers or whatever and like 500 for ice cream.

I ate 4,500 today though and I could easily keep eating. It just depends on the day.

Aren't you gaining a lot of fat eating 4500 calories/day?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Ughh so terrible at pull ups. Did my set today (chin ups today per advice)... did full range all the way up and down and could barely get 2.

blackflag

Aren't you gaining a lot of fat eating 4500 calories/day?

I've barely gained any weight at all except for some water weight.

When I cut I did it on 2,500 calories per day and lost an average of 2.5 lbs a week.

2.5 lbs is 8,750 calories which when added over the week gives me 3,750 cals per day just to maintain my weight.

If I do gain fat though it's no big deal. I can cut pretty easy plus it's winter.

despire

I use BB on my depletion days and DBs on tension/power days, sometimes I'll throw in BB on incline though.

I used BB on flat bench on tuesday and yesterday I used DB's on incline because it's too much hassle to move the bench inside the power rack and out again twice. Any particular reason why you're using DB's on tension/power days? Just trying to figure out whats optimal before I do them.

Well, I've been out of the gym almost three months now, the sports physician said I had costochondritis, basically a separation of the cartilage from the sternum (thankfully, it was only two of the eight tendons). This was caused by dips, I went down to low and felt a tear in my sternum. Mostly just posting to others to be careful with their dips. If you feel your chest pulling a lot, think about laying off the dips for a while. Its starting to feel some better, maybe be back at it in a month or two. This has been extremely unpleasant as it doesn't hurt a lot but it has really set my gains back!

I have this. At least I believe it is this, no one has diagnosed it. Got it from dips as well.

It's been over a year now and it hasn't healed but I haven't taken time of the gym so it's not surprising. What else did the physician say?

abuC

I used BB on flat bench on tuesday and yesterday I used DB's on incline because it's too much hassle to move the bench inside the power rack and out again twice. Any particular reason why you're using DB's on tension/power days? Just trying to figure out whats optimal before I do them.

It's a matter of preference I guess, mostly because I put on a lot of mass with DB bench as opposed to BB bench.

Depletion 1 - BB Decline
Depletion 2 - Incline
Tension - DB flat bench / DB incline
Power - DB flat / BB incline

My right shoulder being exposed to all the BB flat and incline volume would probably be bad news for it and decline takes shoulder out of the equation. Honestly though, I'm just a really big fan of DBs over BB when it comes to benching since I can go stupid heavy on DB and you can usually lift more weight when you transition back to BB.

despire

Ok thanks, might try DB's in tomorrows tension workout.

Btw, is there any good way to know you're glycogen depleted? It would just be nice to be "sure" before stuffing your face with that many carbs :p

Mr.Fresh

What do you guys think of boxing as a form of working out. I want to be in shape soo bad but for some reason I always find my self eating unhealthy. I feel like I need to be out of the house on my days off and not drinking and partying every weekend because that time could be used for other things. (Working out or just working in general.)

I don't live with my mom any more so it's hard to even get healthy food since I have to pay rent and phone bill and etc etc. Any tips?

Any tips on just staying focused or just working out in general? I'm 5'7 150lbs and I'm 20 years old.

As a former fatty I do get crazy bad cravings and eat some bad shit once a week, but I honestly hate bulking, eating excessive carbs, or cheating. The resulting bloat brings out the fat kid in me and I shed so many tears.

keezy

As a former fatty I do get crazy bad cravings and eat some bad shit once a week, but I honestly hate bulking, eating excessive carbs, or cheating. The resulting bloat brings out the fat kid in me and I shed so many tears.

I hate eating a lot of carbs throughout the day. dem insulin spikes.... by the time I get to the gym I'm tired.

I like centering my carbs around my workouts. Manipulating fast/slow digesting carbs and using insulin to my advantage.

despire

What do you guys think of boxing as a form of working out. I want to be in shape soo bad but for some reason I always find my self eating unhealthy. I feel like I need to be out of the house on my days off and not drinking and partying every weekend because that time could be used for other things. (Working out or just working in general.)

I don't live with my mom any more so it's hard to even get healthy food since I have to pay rent and phone bill and etc etc. Any tips?

Any tips on just staying focused or just working out in general? I'm 5'7 150lbs and I'm 20 years old.

Uh, you think that everyone in here lives with their mom and hence can eat healthily?

I'd suggest to get your priorities straight. If you want to eat better but can't afford it because you drink and party every weekend, then don't party as much. Everyone here pays rent and phone bills etc. but we still manage to eat healthily because we prioritize it.

Zoe

Well part of your problem is right there...

Szu

Uh, you think that everyone in here lives with their mom and hence can eat healthily?

I'd suggest to get your priorities straight. If you want to eat better but can't afford it because you drink and party every weekend, then don't party as much. Everyone here pays rent and phone bills etc. but we still manage to eat healthily because we prioritize it.

To be fair, some moms tend to want to overfeed their kids. Even in-laws.

My mom-in-law doesn't eat chicken or steak on a regular basis. My wife and I show up for a visit and, BAM, chicken breasts and steaks appear on only my plate.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

I read this while eating two pop tarts and a glass of milk. Before that I had a 20oz NOS, before that I made two bacon cheese burgers, before that I ate breakfast for dinner (cheese eggs and sausage patties) and before that I drank 10 cups of coffee with cinnibun creamer.

Oh, somewhere between that I drank 16oz of Dr pepper and made a double scoop whey shake.

And during MOST of that I beat GTA;V. GOML SON!

Guise please point me to a set of high-quality fractional plates, something manufactured to tight tolerances. Wife is gonna start needing them for OHP and I wouldn't mind having them for the same.

Szu

I read this while eating two pop tarts and a glass of milk. Before that I had a 20oz NOS, before that I made two bacon cheese burgers, before that I ate breakfast for dinner (cheese eggs and sausage patties) and before that I drank 10 cups of coffee with cinnibun creamer.

Oh, somewhere between that I drank 16oz of Dr pepper and made a double scoop whey shake.

This post is so beautiful. It's bringing a tear to my eye.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
This post is so beautiful. It's bringing a tear to my eye.

Tonight is sausage, chicken and shrimp ambalaya for breakfast, oven fried porkchops with sweet potato fries for dinner and assorted snacks, soda, energy drinks to finish out the night/morning.

If the time frame seems messed up it's because I'm working midnights.

Guise please point me to a set of high-quality fractional plates, something manufactured to tight tolerances. Wife is gonna start needing them for OHP and I wouldn't mind having them for the same.

At fractional weight it doesn't really matter. Look on amazon.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Either adjust your workouts so you need the shitty food, or fix your diet. You don't have to be babied to eat well. It sounds like (and I could be wrong) that you may not be fully educated about what is actually healthy and what is just bullshit - give us some examples of the foods you eat now compared to then.

Sunflower

im bulking now bro

and its soooooo much better than cutting

dat small meat lovers pizza entry in my fitness pal with no shame

this is truly living

The worst part is the feel of being slightly under protein macros at 11:30 at night and needed 400 more calories when your stomach feels like its going to explode though

but its preferable to cutting for sure

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Sunflower

im bulking now bro

and its soooooo much better than cutting

dat small meat lovers pizza entry in my fitness pal with no shame

this is truly living

The worst part is the feel of being slightly under protein macros at 11:30 at night and needed 400 more calories when your stomach feels like its going to explode though

but its preferable to cutting for sure

You're using your gift. You know you are in a Golden Age. You have the blessings of blessings.

jb0gcdFZ5tbE2F_e.jpg

blackflag

This, Everytime I gain that initial 8-10 bloat lbs I freak out even though logically it's not fat. Then I feel fat from then on till I cut. It sucks but I'm gonna suck it up this time and stuff my face.

blackflag

Soda!!!!!? OMG you gon get fat

SeanR1221

Living the dream

Where I'm from, we just call that brinner.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Quick brag before bed:

Today wifey deadlifted 145x4 and pressed 85x1. Sunday she also squatted 145x5 and benched 110x1. She is 5'4" 130lbs.

Strong wimmins is sexay

heh... NOT COMPARING (really)

my daughter (13) did a 1RM 135lb dead lift. Umm.. like 110lb and 5'2" I think? She easily has more than that, but it was the first time she ever moved weights like that (over 100lb) so we stopped there as a place for her to feel more comfortable. she mostly does other body weight stuff during the week but we'll probably go back to the barbell this weekend.

fwiw she is a former competitive gymnast (as of earlier this year, for the past 8 years)... so her lower body strength is absolutely through the roof. so definitely not a "what are you doing to this kid!?!?" The way she lifted the 135# I'm guessing she should be able to hit at least 180#. but baby steps.. :)

5 x 1500m rows last night with 5 minutes rest.
first was 5:48
then 5:51
then two were 6:00 or so
last one I gave it my all and back down to 5:52.

My form is so bad it's gross. A lot of it comes down to lack of flexibility. I try to concentrate on good form, but my flexibility is so bad that I can't really hit it and my pace plummets.. so then I drop form to bring my pace up. so frustrating. I'm only trying to shave 10 seconds off of my 1K time, but it feels like I'm 100000 steps back from doing that.. argghh.

beyond that strength was 10 rep bench presses and turkish getups. TUs I did with 55lb kettlebells for the first time and nicely hit 1RM per arm. metcon was 135# power clean and jerks and double unders. 15/100/10/75/5/50. clean and split jerk form held beautifully!! double unders I was mostly successful in doing sets of 20 with only a few trips. finished under 13 mins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom