• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petrie

Banned
Dear lord GAF, I forgot how much the volume of 5/3/1 BBB sucks. 180lbs for 5 sets of 10 reps on squats makes me feel dead. Every time I don't think I can do it, but somehow I make it though.

Quads are dead. Not looking forward to running tonight.

I might be corrected on this (and I hope I am because I'd like to hear that there's a better program for curlbrahs) but I just do 5 sets of 20 reps, lower weight. Sets my shit on fire to an almost-painful point. I still have the strength to go higher, but I literally cannot or else MY BICEPS WILL IGNITE.

I used to go for heavier weights and the numbers still go up there, but I'm battling my want for getting higher numbers against the swole-lookin babby weights.

^Someone respond to this guy!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Dear lord GAF, I forgot how much the volume of 5/3/1 BBB sucks. 180lbs for 5 sets of 10 reps on squats makes me feel dead. Every time I don't think I can do it, but somehow I make it though.

Quads are dead. Not looking forward to running tonight.

That's been my toughest part of 531. So many reps, so many boring reps. That's its namesake though. Just zone out.

Been trying to get my girlfriend to train with barbells, she kind of wants to but it's tough because she's 90 lbs.

Does you gym have shorter barbells? My gym has 45 lbs Olympic bars and then also has 25 lbs shorter bars that are otherwise identical to the standard Olympic bars. My fiancee uses them for deadlifts in particular.

It isn't the boredom for me. It's just that tough.

The deadlifts are the only ones I can't stand, it's so draining and they take so long whatever song your listening to eventually gets past the "power" part :p

Bench and press you can at least superset with back exercises and I guess I just don't mind the squats as much.

blackflag

Does you gym have shorter barbells? My gym has 45 lbs Olympic bars and then also has 25 lbs shorter bars that are otherwise identical to the standard Olympic bars. My fiancee uses them for deadlifts in particular.

Unfortunately no, but maybe I can buy one somewhere. I go to the gym but have all my own equipment at home as well. That's a good idea.

Petrie

Banned
The deadlifts are the only ones I can't stand, it's so draining and they take so long whatever song your listening to eventually gets past the "power" part :p

Bench and press you can at least superset with back exercises and I guess I just don't mind the squats as much.

I enjoy the upper body stuff, and I definitely superset them with the pull exercises to match.

The volume is jus killer. On both deadlift and squat days, my back wants to kill me when I go to sit in my car after.

abuC

Ok thanks, might try DB's in tomorrows tension workout.

Btw, is there any good way to know you're glycogen depleted? It would just be nice to be "sure" before stuffing your face with that many carbs :p

Do you look flat, have soreness and generally just feel like shit with very little energy for most of the day? That's how I gauge it, that and I usually think about food from Tuesday to Thursday.

Brolic covered the good stuff, but if you're still wanting more, dumbbell side bends. They're even recommended on page 42 of the 2nd edition of 5/3/1.

Thanks, I've done these before but I'll keep it light.

blackflag

lol dude don't you weigh like 3x as much as her? that's pretty funny.

Haha yeah you should see some of the looks we get. It's basically like the Shaq picture with his little girlfriend.

BV68QfGl.jpg

SeanR1221

Using wraps and a spotter on the leg press? Lawd

Edit: and no he didn't have full range. It was a little over 700lbs I wanted to ask how much he actually squats but I'd probably get a bullshit answer anyway

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I do DB side bends on my 531 B days and they leave me quite dizzy afterwards. Heavy is good.

blackflag

Using wraps and a spotter on the leg press? Lawd

Edit: and no he didn't have full range. It was a little over 700lbs I wanted to ask how much he actually squats but I'd probably get a bullshit answer anyway

700 on the leg press, he probably has a really low squat number

blackflag

That's what I figured. Especially if he needed wraps. I wanna say my buddy can rep in the 900s for leg press and doesn't need wraps for it.

Honestly who wears wraps leg pressing!?

Yeah my leg press is over 1k for reps but my 1rm squat is only like 365 so it don't mean shit.

I wouldn't even use it at all except with my back issues, i do my 5 or so sets on squats then do hi rep leg press since it keeps the stress off.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

"girls" bars are typically 15kg (~35lb) instead of 20kg (~45lb), have a 25mm bar instead of a 28.5mm bar, and a shorter length. None is "necessary", but is usually nicer for a girl. I actually prefer the length of a girls bar when snatching and overhead squatting because it allows me to go end to end pretty comfortably (short guy here). that being said, the diameter of the bar is really weird for me. I had actually forgotten this until lifting with my daughter as mentioned above.. when I setup the bar for her I felt the diameter and was like "ooooohhhhh... well that's going to be 5000 times more comfortable for her" heh..

despire

Do you look flat, have soreness and generally just feel like shit with very little energy for most of the day? That's how I gauge it, that and I usually think about food from Tuesday to Thursday.

Dunno, its hard to say. I guess so :D

I think I just have to see how the carb load goes and how I feel afterwards. I've done everything like Lyle says I think so I should be good to go.

Haha yeah you should see some of the looks we get. It's basically like the Shaq picture with his little girlfriend.

lol yeah shes tiny compared to you. My wife is about 96 pounds so she can't squat the 45 pound bar yet but the gym has a 20 pound bar so thats what we are starting her with

sphinx

the piano man
Back day today, slowly back in the game, succesful workout day with everything done as planned.

is there a drawback to supersetting assitance exercises? I did everything in pairs today.., it's more convenient and I am done with everything faster...

if you don't mind the comment hehe :D you both make a hot couple, you look great together

and the pic goes on to show how pictures are deceiving. You look strong and muscled in the selfies you've shown but here you are basiically hulk, (and that's a compliment by the way,lol)

blackflag

Back day today, slowly back in the game, succesful workout day with everything done as planned.

is there a drawback to supersetting assitance exercises? I did everything in pairs today.., it's more convenient and I am done with everything faster...

if you don't mind the comment hehe :D you both make a hot couple, you look great together

and the pic goes on to show how pictures are deceiving. You look strong and muscled in the selfies you've shown but here you are basiically hulk, (and that's a compliment by the way,lol)

Haha yeah she makes me look humongous. I actually enjoy all the people staring. It's funny to me. Happens a lot in Costco or the mall.

abuC

I think I just have to see how the carb load goes and how I feel afterwards. I've done everything like Lyle says I think so I should be good to go.

Today is the start of your carb load right? Mine starts after I get back from the gym, that box of mini wheats is deaddddddddddddddd meat.

If you donate a dollar at wendy's, you get 5 jr frosty coupons. I may have to take them up on that next time.

i did that lol. but technically they say you can't use the coupons until november fyi: obviously for post halloween, but they let me use one when i bought the pack :p

dipping their hot nuggets into frosties is god tier

deadbeef

Just follow what he says and you will be fine. I always liked to do about 40-45 minutes of slow steady cardio on Sunday nights. It helped me feel like I was priming the pump for the week.

I think I used maltodextrin maybe? For the first post intensity workout shake.

Imm0rt4l

I don't think I even have it in me to dirty bulk, Even when I'm not counting macros, I'm more or less estimating.

Go out and eat with friends...eat a bit too much

wake up the next day...."I'm spilled over man"

I put on weight too easy. Bout to go train legs, might record some squats.

you don't want to hear the things i'd do to that redhead from the newer wendy's commercials.

I'm sure they are some of the same things I'd do.

Also, I hate lifting with my friend's/people I know. Been lifting with my buddy all week. Sitting around for last two hours to see when he wants to go. Just texts me, "oh I didn't get your last text, I just got back." Is this real life? I'd rather go alone anyway, but c'mon.

blackflag

The diets in this thread, oh man. No wonder I'm like one of the only bodybuilder dudes.

Ha, I dunno I've kinda over to that side but I can't seem to eat 4k calories a day worth of clean food. He'll I ate 5k yesterday, 4,500 the day before, 4k at least the 4 days before that and I haven't gained an ounce. Not sure what to do.

What's your diet look like? What's your target cals?

I've got my cutting diet perfect but I'm not sure now that I'm bulking

abuC

LOL, Sunflower is killing me with those smileys.

I'm about to get some donuts, I feel I earned it. Speaking of burgers, there's a fat burger opening about 15 minutes from me, are they any good?

Imm0rt4l

had another shitty leg day strength wise. I don't know if it's just an off day and I need a week off or maybe it's that I haven't taken creatine in a while. Possible that I was just being a big pussy. I'll know next week I guess.

despire

Today is the start of your carb load right? Mine starts after I get back from the gym, that box of mini wheats is deaddddddddddddddd meat.

Yes today. Still not totally sure about which time I should hit the gym. Lyle talks about 7PM in one example but he doesn't really mandate any rigid schedule I think. Also 7PM seems kinda late to me so i was thinking about 5PM or maybe a bit later. But if the carb load needs to be 24hr, then it would be better to train later I guess.

sphinx

the piano man
I know is all relative and everybody is different, etc...

but according to the more experienced here, what kind of numbers should I have reached on my compounds by the end of my first year hitting the gym?

are there some formulas I could use as orientation?

like Squat = 5x3 @1.5 bodyweight and so on?

depending on where I am on strength I will decide my course of action.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member

but according to the more experienced here, what kind of numbers should I have reached on my compounds by the end of my first year hitting the gym?

It's much better to use your ability to progress to decide your course of action rather than just the amount of time you've been training. If you're stalling change it up, if you're not, don't.

G.ZZZ

Depend on too many things. If you're naturally thin you'll lift more in body weight % for example. I don't lift for shit, but compared to body weight% i'm pretty well positioned. If you're buff, you'll probably be lower in body weight% but obviously the strenght isn't comparable. Dudes pulling those 12 Kg lateral shoulder (dunno the name, the one where you have your head between your knees and lift laterally with your shoulders) when i can't even lift 8 feel bad man.
In general just strive for decent form and 120-130 lbs bench in an year if you never did much sports etc. A series of ten pullups at least if you're the skinny type. I wouldn't care about those too much. Keep an eye on your body shape imho, if you getting better looking it's ok.

What do you guys thinks of one-handed pushups? I did those all the time when i praticed martial arts, and i still do them as a kind of round-up excercises on "off" days at the gym. I really like them because i'm an attention whore =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom