• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILoveBish

Just finished my 2nd 1's week on 5/3/1 and love it. Hit the following:

OHP - 160
Deadlift - 345
Bench - 215
Squat - 340

So happy with this routine. Next week is deload week and then back to the rough week 1.

Visceir

In general just strive for decent form and 120-130 lbs bench in an year if you never did much sports etc. A series of ten pullups at least if you're the skinny type. I wouldn't care about those too much. Keep an eye on your body shape imho, if you getting better looking it's ok.

What do you guys thinks of one-handed pushups? I did those all the time when i praticed martial arts, and i still do them as a kind of round-up excercises on "off" days at the gym. I really like them because i'm an attention whore =)

Would be smarter to rest on your "off" days rather than showing off.

120 - 130 lbs bench in a year seems awfully low tbh. I'm about 4 months (6 months if you decide to count the 2 months from a year before) in now and am at 165 lbs (working sets weight), seeing as I still have more than half a year to go I'd like to get to atleast 198 lbs bench, 225 might be too much to ask.

10 pullups are also easy at this point.

G.ZZZ

Would be smarter to rest on your "off" days rather than showing off.

120 - 130 lbs bench in a year seems awfully low tbh. I'm about 4 months (6 months if you decide to count the 2 months from a year before) in now and am at 165 lbs (working sets weight), seeing as I still have more than half a year to go I'd like to get to atleast 198 lbs bench, 225 might be too much to ask.

10 pullups are also easy at this point.

There are many people who train 5 days a week, i can manage to train 4 instead of resting.

You may be gifted for that. Most of the guys at the gyms i've been, rarely bench more than 130 lbs after an year or so. Then again, maybe in america everyone's fucking huge whereas most people here are skinnylords. 10 pullups easy? Well good to be you i guess. Most people can't even get up once.

Petrie

Banned
There are many people who train 5 days a week, i can manage to train 4 instead of resting.

You may be gifted for that. Most of the guys at the gyms i've been, rarely bench more than 130 lbs after an year or so. Then again, maybe in america everyone's fucking huge whereas most people here are skinnylords. 10 pullups easy? Well good to be you i guess. Most people can't even get up once.

You're wrong here my friend. Most people training in even a semi-efficient manner will be able to bench more than 130lbs within a year. A typical linear training program has you adding 10 lbs a week, and should be sustainable for at least 3 months. Even if you began with just the bar that should have you benching around 165 in 3-4 months time. Things will slow after that, but you're using very poor programming if a year in you're benching 130 lbs or less. This does not apply if you are female.

It doesn't sound like you are training 4 days a week. It sounds like you are exercising. They aren't the same thing.

I wouldn't call 10 pullups easy for most though.

sphinx

the piano man

*rolleyes

how can you say that without any knowledge of what are a person's stats??

what if it's about a tinny girl or a skinny 15 year old guy? a 50 year old guy?

do you really think the bench marks (or any compound) are absolute for everyone?

Stop assuming things.

Petrie

Banned
*rolleyes

how can you say that without any knowledge of what are a person's stats??

what if it's about a tinny girl or a skinny 15 year old guy? a 50 year old guy?

do you really think the bench marks (or any compound) are absolute for everyone?

Stop assuming things.

I think it is safe to assume most males should be able to bench over 130 lbs within a year if they train in an efficient manner. It might suck to realize what you're doing is inefficient, but that won't change reality. Without a real genetic issue, an untrained individual should be able to progress in a linear fashion for 3 months without much issue. That should lead to a bench press over 130 lbs within those 3 months. If that progression takes you a year, you are doing something very wrong.

Obviously there will be rare exceptions, and those can be dealt with case-by-case. The smart money says he isn't an exception, but in fact it's doing things like one handed pushups on "rest" days that are impeding his overall progress. Exercise instead of training.

Szu

Feeling so down lately.

With the impending surgery less than two weeks away, I've been at the gym at best twice a week. When I am there, my workouts are a fraction of my regular routine.

I'm pretty much in dirty bulk mode. I can still see my abs, but I feel like I'm starting to get bloated.

I want to get the surgery out of the way, start healing, and tear through shit once I'm healthy.

sphinx

the piano man
I think it is safe to assume most males should be able to bench over 130 lbs within a year if they train in an efficient manner. It might suck to realize what you're doing is inefficient, but that won't change reality. Without a real genetic issue, an untrained individual should be able to progress in a linear fashion for 3 months without much issue. That should lead to a bench press over 130 lbs within those 3 months. If that progression takes you a year, you are doing something very wrong.

Obviously there will be rare exceptions, and those can be dealt with case-by-case.

if we are talking about me, I bench over 130, got there long ago and I still have 2 or 3 months to complete a year since I started benching. October 2012 I started hitting the gym but I was scared of freeweights so it took a while since I started with that. I am not implying I have awesome programming, I have stated several times that's a weakness of mine.

but regardless of where I stand on that, I disagree with what you say, completely, there is no "most common males", there is no "whoever trains properly" everybody is so incredibly different and with such different life circumstances that it's impossible to declare anyone a failure because any particular mark wasn't met at a particular point in the development training.

we have people here struggling to squat for many many months because they can't get the form right, let alone add weight without falling on their asses.

Petrie

Banned
if we are talking about me, I bench over 130, got there long ago and I still have 2 or 3 months to complete a year since I started benching. October 2012 I started hitting the gym but I was scared of freeweights so it took a while since I started with that. I am not implying I have awesome programming, I have stated several times that's a weakness of mine.

but regardless of where I stand on that, I disagree with what you say, completely, there is no "most common males", there is no "whoever trains properly" everybody is so incredibly different and with such different life circumstances that it's impossible to declare anyone a failure because any particular mark wasn't met at a particular point in the development training.

we have people here struggling to squat for many many months because they can't get the form right, let alone add weight without falling on their asses.

Everything you mention comes down to issues with programming or training, not a lack of ability to do so. There is a standard for "most common males", and an inability to reach that level on bench likely is the result of his poor programming, something he has outright admitted to. You being scared of free weights though an issue, is not relevant to the data of what most males should be able to do. All the circumstances you've pointed out are hurdles that aren't relevant to what a male on proper programming should be able to do, as they are all things that make it into poor programming.

I never called anyone a failure though, poor programming does not make someone a failure.

Visceir

Just did a google search for strenght standards out of curiosity.

Found this:
http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/BenchStandards.html

Explaination and time frame for the table above:
Untrained

An individual who has not trained on the exercises before but can perform them correctly.

Novice

An individual who has trained regularly for up to several months.

Intermediate

An individual who has trained regularly for up to a couple years.

Advanced

An individual who has trained multiple years.

I checked my own weight and oddly enough it's very accurate.

A person can put on approximately 20-25 pounds of muscle in his first year, but I guess putting on just as much fat or even more for the sake of bulk wouldn't be all that bad + a few kg of waterweight from creatine.

Not really posting this to prove a point, just thought it was interesting and it's how I would go about estimating such things, I guess. Feel free to call me out on this broscience.

Edit: I'm european, not american.

I want to get the surgery out of the way, start healing, and tear through shit once I'm healthy.

Did they also give you a timeframe on how long it will take to heal after the surgery? Or can you just make an estimate going by your first surgery?

Petrie

Banned

Found this:

A person can put on approximately 20-25 pounds of muscle in his first year, but I guess putting on just as much fat or even more for the sake of bulk wouldn't be all that bad + a few kg of waterweight from creatine.

Not really posting this to prove a point, just thought it was interesting and it's how I would go about estimating such things, I guess. Feel free to call me out on this broscience.

Edit: I'm european, not american.

All this did was prove my point. After 3 months you are a novice, and even all but the smallest of men are assumed to at that point be able to bench 135 lbs. The idea that anyone training properly shouldn't be able to achieve that less than a year without some sort of very unique circumstances is just silly.

Bottom line is that if you're spending your rest days doing crap because you like attention and aren't eating enough because you're afraid of fat, then your programming is the issue. If you're ok with that, to each their own.

Visceir

All this did was prove my point. After 3 months you are a novice, and even all but the smallest of men are assumed to at that point be able to bench 135 lbs. The idea that anyone training properly shouldn't be able to achieve that less than a year without some sort of very unique circumstances is just silly.

Bottom line is that if you're spending your rest days doing crap because you like attention and aren't eating enough because you're afraid of fat, then your programming is the issue. If you're ok with that, to each their own.

Someone who weighs 114 lbs after 1 year of training might not!

I agree with everything you posted above.

Edit: I also forgot to take into account that I think of weight in my working sets while the table is for 1 RM. So I'm doing slightly better than what's there in the table.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Feeling so down lately.

With the impending surgery less than two weeks away, I've been at the gym at best twice a week. When I am there, my workouts are a fraction of my regular routine.

I'm pretty much in dirty bulk mode. I can still see my abs, but I feel like I'm starting to get bloated.

Enjoy the bloat while you can, if you can. It's the only good takeaway from this that you can heal elsewhere and rest rest rest. It's not much. But it's something. Silver lining.

Petrie

Banned
Someone who weighs 114 lbs after 1 year of training might not!

I agree, but that's an extreme circumstance!

I'd hope after a year that 114 lb male put on enough muscle mass to upgrade a weight class! lol

Those charts always make me feel pretty OK, because I fall right around Intermediate in each case, which is about how I perceive myself.

Same. I'm actually nearing advanced for bench press on this one. That feels pretty damn good.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
This is the first time since I started SS that I've had to take a week off due to sickness. The last time I lifted was last Friday. I'm gonna get back to it on Monday, should I continue with my normal gains or should I keep the weight to where it was the last time I did my lifts?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Just finished my 2nd 1's week on 5/3/1 and love it. Hit the following:

OHP - 160
Deadlift - 345
Bench - 215
Squat - 340

So happy with this routine. Next week is deload week and then back to the rough week 1.

how is your squat near your deadlift?

G.ZZZ

Obviously there will be rare exceptions, and those can be dealt with case-by-case. The smart money says he isn't an exception, but in fact it's doing things like one handed pushups on "rest" days that are impeding his overall progress. Exercise instead of training.

I think you're assuming people start on the first day of the gym with a definite program. They don't, most don't even bench when they start and can do only freebody cause they are scared of lifting because lifting is what "bulky dudes with no brain" do. Speaking from experience most people go between lifting, yoga, fitbox, and such for a long time, then start to get in the gym mentality, and start lifting, with small weights at first etc...
People who start and enter in the gym training regime fast are pretty rare. Most of them leave in the first two months, and those who get to an year usually leave and lift poorly because they don't like it. An average dude won't leave the gym, bu it won't lift much either. I have a friend which in an year benched 180 lbs while being pretty skinny and short as i am (5'7), but those are more exceptions to the rules. You tend to remember those more probably because those are the guy you talk to in the gyms, not the university students with ridicolous unkept hair, earbuds and whatsnot that never say a word.

G.ZZZ

Found this:

Judging by that chart, i'm almost advanced, i do 200 pounds while weighting 130. My point was more that 1 year in the gym is rarely 1 year of training. If you get a proper training habit is already good enough for my standards. Too many people sitting on their asses and leaving the first two months here where i am.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
This is the first time since I started SS that I've had to take a week off due to sickness. The last time I lifted was last Friday. I'm gonna get back to it on Monday, should I continue with my normal gains or should I keep the weight to where it was the last time I did my lifts?

Honestly I would just go to where it was last time and then build on that. A week off is rough.

Petrie

Banned
I think you're assuming people start on the first day of the gym with a definite program. They don't, most don't even bench when they start and can do only freebody cause they are scared of lifting because lifting is what "bulky dudes with no brain" do. Speaking from experience most people go between lifting, yoga, fitbox, and such for a long time, then start to get in the gym mentality, and start lifting, with small weights at first etc...
People who start and enter in the gym training regime fast are pretty rare. Most of them leave in the first two months, and those who get to an year usually leave and lift poorly because they don't like it. An average dude won't leave the gym, bu it won't lift much either. I have a friend which in an year benched 180 lbs while being pretty skinny and short as i am (5'7), but those are more exceptions to the rules. You tend to remember those more probably because those are the guy you talk to in the gyms, not the university students with ridicolous unkept hair, earbuds and whatsnot that never say a word.

So you're comparing yourself to people wasting their time spinning their wheels not trying to accomplish anything in the gym?

Alright then.

You should use those training on a proper program as your benchmark. Not people doing yoga.

That guy benching 180lbs in that timeframe is not the exception. That is the norm. Using people doing dumb shit to figure out the "norm" is the silliest shit I've heard in awhile.

Judging by that chart, i'm almost advanced, i do 200 pounds while weighting 130. My point was more that 1 year in the gym is rarely 1 year of training. If you get a proper training habit is already good enough for my standards. Too many people sitting on their asses and leaving the first two months here where i am.

And that's why we are very clear in saying 1 year of training. Nobody gives a fuck how long you've been going to the gym if they are figuring out where you are at or should be at, they care how long you've been training on a proper program.

Was concerned about my bulk. Wanted to do it clean so I got my macros ready. Just going a little over my TDEE in order to maybe gain half a pound a week. Been rocking it in the gym and hitting my calories without fail. Taking creatine too...

So I look at the scale and I gained 5 pounds and felt bloated as fuck yesterday. Complained to my girl about it, was unsure if I was doing things wrong, if it was mostly water weight, or what...

Woke up in the morning and took a piss, and I'm down four pounds.

*shrugs*

Guess its just part of the process.

Gotta keep the train rolling

BULK UP

G.ZZZ

So you're comparing yourself to people wasting their time spinning their wheels not trying to accomplish anything in the gym?

Alright then.

You should use those training on a proper program as your benchmark. Not people doing yoga.

That guy benching 180lbs in that timeframe is not the exception. That is the norm. Using people doing dumb shit to figure out the "norm" is the silliest shit I've heard in awhile.

And that's why we are very clear in saying 1 year of training. Nobody gives a fuck how long you've been going to the gym if they are figuring out where you are at or should be at, they care how long you've been training on a proper program.

I think you're being too narrow here. Most people don't magically start on proper training or mindset. Getting the right mindset is part of a training to me. "Doing dumb shit" is also derogatory. People don't have to do gym or anything, they may like other things, and they try everything when they start some physical activity. By your standards i've wasted 13 years of my life doing every kind of sport that wasn't lifting. That ain't the case. I'm happy i did anything at all. And i think most people who start going to a gym think that about the period where they try many things and struggle to go regularly to it like a good period where they they were at least trying to do something good for themselves.

Petrie

Banned
I think you're being too narrow here. Most people don't magically start on proper training or mindset. Getting the right mindset is part of a training to me. "Doing dumb shit" is also derogatory. People don't have to do gym or anything, they may like other things, and they try everything when they start some physical activity. By your standards i've wasted 13 years of my life doing every kind of sport that wasn't lifting. That ain't the case. I'm happy i did anything at all. And i think most people who start going to a gym think that about the period where they try many things and struggle to go regularly to it like a good period where they they were at least trying to do something good for themselves.

When someone is discussing achieving a certain level on bench press, it is safe to assume one of their goals is to increase their bench press.

Many people do begin training with a proper program and mindset. We have countless examples of that here in this very thread. You want to use the worst possible examples to set your standards.

Anybody engaging in more physical activity is great, but the discussion here is about where someone who is properly training should be after a year. The type of bench press someone doing yoga or running track would achieve in a year is frankly irrelevant. So are the people afraid of lifting weights for the first 6 months. That 6 months doesn't count. They have trained zero.

The point is they are wasting their time if increasing their bench is their goal. Someone measuring their bench pres generally has that goal in mind.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Was concerned about my bulk. Wanted to do it clean so I got my macros ready. Just going a little over my TDEE in order to maybe gain half a pound a week. Been rocking it in the gym and hitting my calories without fail. Taking creatine too...

So I look at the scale and I gained 5 pounds and felt bloated as fuck yesterday. Complained to my girl about it, was unsure if I was doing things wrong, if it was mostly water weight, or what...

Woke up in the morning and took a piss, and I'm down four pounds.

*shrugs*

Guess its just part of the process.

Gotta keep the train rolling

BULK UP

That's right brother! Up and down, weight can fluctuate but tomorrow can always be different. Stay the course and have faith!

KEEP BULKING. IT'S TIME! IT'S TIME!

jbwILv877pefkL_e.jpg

IT'S BULKING TIME!

SeanR1221

Hah this argument brings me back to myself.

I had just lost a ton of weight doing cardio (DDR) and eating better so I started my
Fuckarounitis program at the gym. After a year I STILL couldn't bench 135. I thought that plates were out of reach forever. I was so embarrassed I stuck to hammer strength bench machines.

That's why I started my proper training with just the bar on bench.

Szu

Did they also give you a timeframe on how long it will take to heal after the surgery? Or can you just make an estimate going by your first surgery?

I'm making a estimate based on my first surgery. I'll be in a cast for about 10 days. After the cast and staples are removed, I can't do any weights for about two weeks. After that, I can start hitting light weights for about two weeks. Then, I can start da bulk.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Found this:

That shit is inaccurate as hell, according to it I'm elite in two lifts, deadlift and press and I'm advanced in bench press and squat (and that is most certainly not true). We've had this discussion before.

Depend on too many things. If you're naturally thin you'll lift more in body weight % for example. I don't lift for shit, but compared to body weight% i'm pretty well positioned. If you're buff, you'll probably be lower in body weight% but obviously the strenght isn't comparable. Dudes pulling those 12 Kg lateral shoulder (dunno the name, the one where you have your head between your knees and lift laterally with your shoulders) when i can't even lift 8 feel bad man.
In general just strive for decent form and 120-130 lbs bench in an year if you never did much sports etc. A series of ten pullups at least if you're the skinny type. I wouldn't care about those too much. Keep an eye on your body shape imho, if you getting better looking it's ok.

What do you guys thinks of one-handed pushups? I did those all the time when i praticed martial arts, and i still do them as a kind of round-up excercises on "off" days at the gym. I really like them because i'm an attention whore =)

1 handed pushups mean jack shit.
If you're an attention whore you need to try harder.

I don't think he meant "doing dumb shit" in a derogatory way. As I have stated many times in the past, it is all about what your goals are. If you choose to do yoga or focus more on a sport, that is fine. That is what you wanted to focus on. But then if that same individual starts to be upset that his squat is only at 200 lbs, well, it would make sense considering that you didn't train for that and trying to link the two is a bit dumb.

In the end, you do you. Do what makes you happy and what you prefer. Be that a SS type program, isolation, BB, bodyweight exercises, etc. Just realize that what you are training for has to match your goals.

On that note, I feel like I should be benching/squatting/deadlifting a lot more at my weight. It is slowly getting there. Wish it was higher though!

Petrie

Banned
I don't think he meant "doing dumb shit" in a derogatory way. As I have stated many times in the past, it is all about what your goals are. If you choose to do yoga or focus more on a sport, that is fine. That is what you wanted to focus on. But then if that same individual starts to be upset that his squat is only at 200 lbs, well, it would make sense considering that you didn't train for that and trying to link the two is a bit dumb.

In the end, you do you. Do what makes you happy and what you prefer. Be that a SS type program, isolation, BB, bodyweight exercises, etc. Just realize that what you are training for has to match your goals.

On that note, I feel like I should be benching/squatting/deadlifting a lot more at my weight. It is slowly getting there. Wish it was higher though!

Exactly. If you're trying to bench more and you're doing one handed pushups on rest days instead of resting, that is in fact "dumb shit".

J. Bravo

I think I'm going to try lifting today after work. See what happens to your lifts after basically a month off with little eating and a day spent in the hospital on a liquid diet...

edit: 1 handed pushups are probably the easiest "advanced" body weight workout ever. I use them for adjusting my back. The nice crackle all the way up my spine is glorious.

StMeph

Hello, FitGAF. So I have some questions, based on some specific circumstances. But first, the stats:

Height: 6' 0"
Weight: ~180 walking, 173 competition
Goal: leangains within weight class limits

Current Training Schedule:

M - Bench, Bent Rows, Squats
Tu - 1 hour BJJ, which can be light cardio or HIIT, depending on the class
W - Overhead Press, Chin-ups, Deadlifts
Th - 1 hour BJJ
F
Sa - 2-3 hours BJJ
S - 1 hour BJJ (sometimes)

Current Training Equipment Available: at gym, almost everything, but no Olympic platforms

Comments:

All lifting is done at 3 sets of 5, with the final set to failure, except for Deadlifts, which is one set only, also to failure. Failing to hit 5 on the third set leads to deloading at -10% next week. Upper body increments in 2.5, unless 3rd set > 10 reps, then increase by 5. Lower body increments in 5, unless 3rd set > 10 reps, then increase by 10. Short rest (90-120 seconds) between sets. This is the program that my lifting partner uses, so I just started the same thing.

Lifting is to complement my BJJ training, and because I still plan on competing, have to stay within certain weight limits (about 175 is the max after cutting weight). I also am doing leangains to avoid a bulk and cut cycle since I already have to maintain weight, and prefer to do a smaller cut a week or two before tournaments. But improvements have been slow since I started from May of this year. Since I started,

Squat 130 -> 170 (deloaded twice)
Dead 135 -> 230 (started low to learn form)
Bench 100 -> 125 (deloaded twice)
Rows 100 -> 125 (my form is the worst here, deloaded for form)
Overhead 50 -> 95 (deloaded once)
Chins negatives -> 5, 4, 3 (have been stuck here for over a month)

I feel I'm treading water for the most part, like those numbers are really low for almost five months. The gains from the beginning up to now looks like a single month of gains for a normal lifter. That said, the small strength gains and better movement mechanics have been beneficial, so I am seeing some value from doing it.

Admittedly, if anything gets skipped in a week, I skip lifting, so I would say that my M/W adherence rate is 70% for lifting.

sphinx

the piano man
That shit is inaccurate as hell, according to it I'm elite in two lifts, deadlift and press and I'm advanced in bench press and squat (and that is most certainly not true). We've had this discussion before.

I put my numbers there with curiosity and concluded that the site is extremely conservative.

the site says that after "a couple of years", I will reach a 1RM of 230 on my squat,

the thing is that my 1RM on squat is 235 right now, and if I succeed in doing my 5x3 right tomorrow, it will be 241 after that but I haven't even been squatting for a year, I'd say about 9 months.

dunno, It feels nice to be around or at intermediate, as Petrie and Soka said, but at the same time It feels like it's just some random, rather inaccurate reference.

unless I missed something, the site doesn't even make distinction between the different compounds to calculate the 1RM,.. wouldn't the deadlift calculation be way too low and the OHPress way too high? increments between those are two completely different stories.

1 handed pushups mean jack shit.
If you're an attention whore you need to try harder.

guys doing Muscle-Ups for reps tend to grab my attention, in a good way.

Guys screaming around like "hey everyone! I am doing my 1RM 1K deadlift! I need 10 guys spotting me! everybody gather around me and embrace my awesomeness" grab it the wrong way.

abuC

Yes today. Still not totally sure about which time I should hit the gym. Lyle talks about 7PM in one example but he doesn't really mandate any rigid schedule I think. Also 7PM seems kinda late to me so i was thinking about 5PM or maybe a bit later. But if the carb load needs to be 24hr, then it would be better to train later I guess.

I start my workout at 7-8pm, and end up eating around 8:30-9:30 and I'm usually able to eat 3 times before 1am.

Like last night I had 8 cups of spaghetti, meatballs followed by 6 donuts 45 mins later, then an hour after that 6 servings of frosted mini wheats, and right before bed 2 bagels. I believe I hit 800g of carbs in that 3-4 hour window which makes reaching another 600-800 pretty easy.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Taco Bell for lunch Taco Bell for lunch TACO BELL FOR LUNCH
jbi3eE4zMhXJe4_e.jpg

I seriously can't stop using these smileys, I love them so much.

I think diets should be a banned discussion in this thread. STOP MAKING ME HUNGRY AND ANGRY! :)

Also I wonder if there really is a magically optimal time to lift. Not that my body cares. I lift anywhere from 9pm to 4am and I think I do alright.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I think diets should be a banned discussion in this thread. STOP MAKING ME HUNGRY AND ANGRY! :)

Also I wonder if there really is a magically optimal time to lift. Not that my body cares. I lift anywhere from 9pm to 4am and I think I do alright.

You're right. I think we need a Bulking OT or appreciation thread instead. Because I know what kind of face gets made when I cut and people talk about TACO BELL'S VOLCANO MENU
jbcRESX83HJ2Dl_e.jpg

Bro, you picked your path. Lean and gorgeous.

I'm on the lumpy and mediocre looking road.

SUCK IT.

abuC

The only set lift time I have is for the carb up, because I can't stand to wait much longer to start eating like my life depended on it.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Bulk-GAF Splinter Thread is up in OT. We'll take our stories of joy out there.

Then I'll freak out in one week and go back to cutting because water weight scares me.

despire

I start my workout at 7-8pm, and end up eating around 8:30-9:30 and I'm usually able to eat 3 times before 1am.

Like last night I had 8 cups of spaghetti, meatballs followed by 6 donuts 45 mins later, then an hour after that 6 servings of frosted mini wheats, and right before bed 2 bagels. I believe I hit 800g of carbs in that 3-4 hour window which makes reaching another 600-800 pretty easy.

Just finished my first depletion. I feel I could've gone heavier/pushed harder on some exercises. Mainly the ones I've really never done before, so I wasn't sure about the weights etc. For example I had to up the weight in everyone of the 3 sets in calf raise. Hope I didn't screw anything up and actually managed to deplete rest of the glycogen. If I noticed that I had too little weight I just did more reps, for example in one calf raise set I did 18 reps even though the goal was 6-12.

Good thing is that next time it's easy to find the correct weights. Also, can anyone recommend anything to replace Lying Leg Curls in the workout? It already has me doing Seated Leg Curls and we only have a machine for those. I did RDL's today but I don't think it was a good idea. Was thinking GHR's or something.. Or just more sets in the seated variation?

Just had my PWO shake too, which was pretty disgusting actually. I had to divide it in to two separate parts, because mixing 2,5 dl of dextrose/sugar with 1,5 dl of my already super sweet whey would've ended badly. So instead I downed the sugar first with half a liter of cold water and then after a minute or so drank the whey. Now I'll wait around two hours and have some pasta with tuna/tomato sauce. Couple of pretzels on the side as well. Keeping this first carb load simple, just eating pasta, the aforementioned sauce and pretzels.

ZeroRay

Stopped posting here due to my training essentially only progressing on my upper body due to lower back injury more than three months ago.

Finally got it checked out and the doctor diagnosed it as lumbar strain. She told me to stop dicking around with heavy weights and do higher reps until my back feels better.

Slickdeals has a good ONLINE deal for Quest bars at GNC for once.

TODAY ONLY buy one get one free.

Use code ABCART for another 15% off. So about $32 for two boxes. If you use Shopdiscover you get another 15% cashback, so even cheaper if you have that.

$1 flat rate shipping.

Gonna order the new double chocolate ones. Unfortunately they're back-ordered so it will take awhile.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
So what are the major differences between Romanian deadlifts and stiff-legged deadlifts?

I've been working on my SL deadlifts but I don't think I'm doing them correctly. Any tips or tutorials?

despire

So what are the major differences between Romanian deadlifts and stiff-legged deadlifts?

I've been working on my SL deadlifts but I don't think I'm doing them correctly. Any tips or tutorials?

Just posting something quick until someone (Noema) comes with a better answer.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/ErectorSpinae/BBStiffLegDeadlift.html
SLDL's start from the ground like DL's and look nasty.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/OlympicLifts/RomanianDeadlift.html
RDL's start from the "upper position" and the first part of the movement is lowering the weight, not lifting it. Also RDL's don't touch the ground afaik. There's a video by Rip in the OP if you haven't seen it yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom