• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Slickdeals has a good ONLINE deal for Quest bars at GNC for once.

TODAY ONLY buy one get one free.

Use code ABCART for another 15% off. So about $32 for two boxes. If you use Shopdiscover you get another 15% cashback, so even cheaper if you have that.

$1 flat rate shipping.

Gonna order the new double chocolate ones. Unfortunately they're back-ordered so it will take awhile.

$1 flat rate shipping isn't working for me, I'm still being charged $5 for shipping at checkout.

I tried chatting online and they can either issue a credit (I don't really shop at GNC at all) or I would have to phone in the order to get the $1 shipping applied. I know it's only a $4 difference, but that's money being left on the table.

velociraptor

my lower back feels weird. it doesn't hurt.. but it's a feeling that I don't like.

Anyone recommend any specific stretches and exercises to keep it healthy?

Pete Rock

Cat & Camel. I find it preferable when returning to cat to lift your head up slightly past neutral, and if you can, roll back onto open hips into child. As your head touches the mat go back into cat and repeat, do this for five rounds once a day, preferably in the morning after sleeping and getting stiff. Really focus on rounding your tailbone down and tucking your chin on camel, and the opposite on cat. I find this provides a good basic flow and helps reinforce both poses instead of alternating holding patterns and is really great for the lower back.

my lower back feels weird. it doesn't hurt.. but it's a feeling that I don't like.

Yoga + foam rolling.

Thanks for the quest bar sale notice and promo codes, got a couple work trips coming up and these will help limit the damage!

J. Bravo

Yoga + foam rolling.

Thanks for the quest bar sale notice and promo codes, got a couple work trips coming up and these will help limit the damage!

+1 for foam rolling. A few weeks ago in the early stages on mono, my entire back and neck were sore to the point of incapacitating me after being on my feet for hours at work. Come home and foam rolled, and I was good to go for the rest of the night.

Foam rollers are a godsend.

ILoveBish

how is your squat near your deadlift?

I started doing dead lifts very late due to fear of hurting myself from not knowing the form. The weight I do now is very easy but I go up 10lbs on it every month to gradually lift heavier and not rush things.

Visceir

Did 50 kg(110 lbs) OHP 3x5 today. Used belt on my last set though, first time ever. Felt quite nice and I could focus more on my shoulders.

Was feeling under the weather the past 2 - 3 weeks or so, haven't really gained any weight since then either, just getting a bit more lean while staying on the same weight. Need to start stuffing my face more actively with food again now that I'm starting to feel better. Still ~5 - 7 kg away from my goal weight, ugh.

Razorskin

----- ------
Slickdeals has a good ONLINE deal for Quest bars at GNC for once.

TODAY ONLY buy one get one free.

Use code ABCART for another 15% off. So about $32 for two boxes. If you use Shopdiscover you get another 15% cashback, so even cheaper if you have that.

$1 flat rate shipping.

Gonna order the new double chocolate ones. Unfortunately they're back-ordered so it will take awhile.

You post says buy one get one free, but the site says buy one get one 50% off. Am I missing something?

Chocobro

So I completed a whole month of SS (14 sessions), pretty happy with that.

Summary of current lifts stats compared to last week
Squat: 5/5/5 90 lbs ---> 5/5/3 100 lbs
OHP: 5/5/5 65 lbs ---> 5/4/4 70 lbs
DL: 5 105 lbs ---> 5 110 lbs
BP: 5/5/5 85 lbs ---> 5/4/4 90 lbs
Chin-ups: 6/3/3 ---> 7/3/3. I weigh around 130-135lbs. The week before I got 6/3/3, I got 7/3/3. Finding hard to get higher numbers. Should I increase my rest interval from 2 minutes to 3 minutes for chin-ups?

Question 2: Should I switch from Pendlay rows to pull-ups on Friday now? Or do both? I was just following what my friend did; he wasn't able to do many pull-ups and did Pendlay rows until he did a reasonable number of pull-ups. I can do 4 full reps right now.

Noema

There are many people who train 5 days a week, i can manage to train 4 instead of resting.

You may be gifted for that. Most of the guys at the gyms i've been, rarely bench more than 130 lbs after an year or so. Then again, maybe in america everyone's fucking huge whereas most people here are skinnylords. 10 pullups easy? Well good to be you i guess. Most people can't even get up once.

If someone has been training for over a year and can't bench 130lb he's doing it wrong. It means he basically has been goofing around at the gym instead of actually training. This person has no idea of programming, and likely jus does random stuff for random reps with random weights.

Any adult male between the ages of 16 and 50 with no physical disabilities who has been training for a year and can't bench 135lb should be fucking embarrassed of himself.

It's the equivalent of being in 6th grade and not knowing how to read and write.

Noema

So I completed a whole month of SS (14 sessions), pretty happy with that.

Summary of current lifts stats compared to last week
Squat: 5/5/5 90 lbs ---> 5/5/3 100 lbs
OHP: 5/5/5 65 lbs ---> 5/4/4 70 lbs
DL: 5 105 lbs ---> 5 110 lbs
BP: 5/5/5 85 lbs ---> 5/4/4 90 lbs
Chin-ups: 6/3/3 ---> 7/3/3. I weigh around 130-135lbs. The week before I got 6/3/3, I got 7/3/3. Finding hard to get higher numbers. Should I increase my rest interval from 2 minutes to 3 minutes for chin-ups?

Question 2: Should I switch from Pendlay rows to pull-ups on Friday now? Or do both? I was just following what my friend did; he wasn't able to do many pull-ups and did Pendlay rows until he did a reasonable number of pull-ups. I can do 4 full reps right now.

1) rest as long as you need. Your top priority is to hit your reps. If you are getting such drastic differences between your first set (7 reps) and your second and third sets (3 reps) it's because you need to increase your rest periods. Try resting 3 minutes for your 2 set and up to 5 for your 3rd set. You should aim to get 7/7/7.

2) Pendlay rows are not part of SS. I'd stick with the chin-ups/ pull-ups for now. Try to get to 3 sets of 10 and then start adding weight to them in linear progression.

Noema

Just posting something quick until someone (Noema) comes with a better answer.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/ErectorSpinae/BBStiffLegDeadlift.html
SLDL's start from the ground like DL's and look nasty.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/OlympicLifts/RomanianDeadlift.html
RDL's start from the "upper position" and the first part of the movement is lowering the weight, not lifting it. Also RDL's don't touch the ground afaik. There's a video by Rip in the OP if you haven't seen it yet.

This is a pretty good answer. Only thing I'd add is that, because RDLs start from the top they have a strong emphasis on the eccentric (negative) portion of the lift, since there's a lot of tension on the hamstrings and the glutes on the way down, and there's a rebound at the bottom that is also trained by the movement.

In contrast, standard deadlifts don't really have an eccentric component since the lift is essentially over at the top and there's no rebound since each rep starts as a dead weight off the floor. In that sense RDLs are not really deadlifts but rather more of a good morning variation.

Chocobro

1) rest as long as you need. Your top priority is to hit your reps. If you are getting such drastic differences between your first set (7 reps) and your second and third sets (3 reps) it's because you need to increase your rest periods. Try resting 3 minutes for your 2 set and up to 5 for your 3rd set. You should aim to get 7/7/7.

2) Pendlay rows are not part of SS. I'd stick with the chin-ups/ pull-ups for now. Try to get to 3 sets of 10 and then start adding weight to them in linear progression.

Thanks Noema :) I'll make those changes.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Just posting something quick until someone (Noema) comes with a better answer.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/ErectorSpinae/BBStiffLegDeadlift.html
SLDL's start from the ground like DL's and look nasty.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/OlympicLifts/RomanianDeadlift.html
RDL's start from the "upper position" and the first part of the movement is lowering the weight, not lifting it. Also RDL's don't touch the ground afaik. There's a video by Rip in the OP if you haven't seen it yet.

Thank you!

Anyone have any further input?

Been working out for 2 years and made significant gains.
But I still look skinny. What's the best for just getting bigger?
I'm about 180lbs but don't look it

velociraptor

Cat & Camel. I find it preferable when returning to cat to lift your head up slightly past neutral, and if you can, roll back onto open hips into child. As your head touches the mat go back into cat and repeat, do this for five rounds once a day, preferably in the morning after sleeping and getting stiff. Really focus on rounding your tailbone down and tucking your chin on camel, and the opposite on cat. I find this provides a good basic flow and helps reinforce both poses instead of alternating holding patterns and is really great for the lower back.

Thanks

abuC

Been working out for 2 years and made significant gains.
But I still look skinny. What's the best for just getting bigger?
I'm about 180lbs but don't look it

Find a picture of yourself from 2 years ago and compare it to now, you probably look massive in comparison.

Vio-Lence

Banned
1s week dead lifts great success. 305x5, 345x3, 385x1. 385 was smooth so I tried 405. Got it pretty easy as well. Felt good haven't dead lifted 4 plates in 8 years or so. Over 2x body weight. Now new goal 455#.

Followed with front squats 95, 135, 165, 185 x 5.

ucdawg12

can anyone point me in the direction of what is external rotation, exactly, where it's useful and how to obtain it (i believe you want it in the shoulder and ankle)? i have seen a bunch of kelly starrett videos where he mentions it and i have a tiny idea of what he's talking about but i would like to know more about it to make sure i'm doing it right and also how exactly to use it or if i should always use it and the goal of external rotation is to make it permanent or something

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
can anyone point me in the direction of what is external rotation, exactly, where it's useful and how to obtain it (i believe you want it in the shoulder and ankle)? i have seen a bunch of kelly starrett videos where he mentions it and i have a tiny idea of what he's talking about but i would like to know more about it to make sure i'm doing it right and also how exactly to use it or if i should always use it and the goal of external rotation is to make it permanent or something
It's kind of hard to answer this because you seem to be talking about external rotation as if it's a single, fixed quality. There are a number of joints which externally and internally rotate. It's a better idea to focus whether or not you have flexibility and stability through a specific range of motion. For example, in the squat you want to maintain external rotation of the hips (knees pointing out). If your knees begin to point in during the movement or if you have tightness in your hips then you may want to look at improving your external rotation.

jdavid459

If anyone could help me out here I would GREATLY appreciate it.

I've had a weak left shoulder for 5+ years now. For some reason I don't develop muscle over there well...not really sure. Seen multiple doctors, PTs which have just kind of thrown me around in circles. PT helped somewhat...

It also seems that my neck is EXTREMELY weak. I tried to do some work to strengthen my shoulder today by using freights. Basically dumbells in front of me, raise up to my chest, back down, then brought out to make a T shape (not sure what the excersise is called). Just a couple reps with very light weight damaged my neck.

Extremely stiff, and agitated. Still hurting. Anyone ever been in a similar situation? What helped for you? I want to get back to lifting a lot...and this is kind of my constraint.

Again, any help would be awesome...doctors haven't been helping me much.

Thanks

J. Bravo

If anyone could help me out here I would GREATLY appreciate it.

I've had a weak left shoulder for 5+ years now. For some reason I don't develop muscle over there well...not really sure. Seen multiple doctors, PTs which have just kind of thrown me around in circles. PT helped somewhat...

It also seems that my neck is EXTREMELY weak. I tried to do some work to strengthen my shoulder today by using freights. Basically dumbells in front of me, raise up to my chest, back down, then brought out to make a T shape (not sure what the excersise is called). Just a couple reps with very light weight damaged my neck.

Extremely stiff, and agitated. Still hurting. Anyone ever been in a similar situation? What helped for you? I want to get back to lifting a lot...and this is kind of my constraint.

Again, any help would be awesome...doctors haven't been helping me much.

Thanks
Try foam rolling your upper back and shoulders, and maybe see a chiropractor. My right shoulder was pretty weak when my chiro tested it, and my neck was sore and had knots all over it. Then he adjusted my neck -- instantly stronger right shoulder with no pain in my neck.

jdavid459

Try foam rolling your upper back and shoulders, and maybe see a chiropractor. My right shoulder was pretty weak when my chiro tested it, and my neck was sore and had knots all over it. Then he adjusted my neck -- instantly stronger right shoulder with no pain in my neck.

Yeah I bought a foam roller, its pretty good. Really helps my back. Shoulder...I actually have better luck rolling around on a lacrosse ball (provides short term relief anyway).

Chiropractor huh? That is the one thing people have told me so far that I haven't tried. Kind of nervous about the whole snapping your spine and especially my neck into place. Basically trusting them with my life...Something to look into anyway. Thanks!

J. Bravo

Yeah I bought a foam roller, its pretty good. Really helps my back. Shoulder...I actually have better luck rolling around on a lacrosse ball (provides short term relief anyway).

Chiropractor huh? That is the one thing people have told me so far that I haven't tried. Kind of nervous about the whole snapping your spine and especially my neck into place. Basically trusting them with my life...Something to look into anyway. Thanks!

I understand people being sketchy about them, but if you find the right one, it's amazing the difference it makes. I've got something like 25 free visits the rest of the year because our family hit our deductible on our health insurance like back in march lol, so I am going to start going once a week. Our family has been going to this guy for years though, so we trust him pretty well.

Don't get anything you're not comfortable with adjusted, if you don't want them to do your neck say so upfront. Try to find a coworker or someone who's had a good experience with their chiro.

Nelo Ice

Banned
So ever since I broke 225 lb squats, I need someone to help me rerack since otherwise I have no energy to rerack properly lol. Also for this deadlift talk mine is only 10 lbs above my squat. Mostly due to me not raising it when I probably could have months ago. I didn't count an increase unless I did it with normal grip 5 times rather than alt grip. Now I'm at the point where it's alt grip or bust.

Edit: And on that note just hit 230 lbs fuck yeah!.

External rotation simply means rotation away from the midline of the body when whereas internal rotation means rotation towards the midline of the body

If someone has been training for over a year and can't bench 130lb he's doing it wrong. It means he basically has been goofing around at the gym instead of actually training. This person has no idea of programming, and likely jus does random stuff for random reps with random weights. .

And the thing is that nowadays there is no reason to start going to the gym uninformed and train like an idiot. When I started working out as a teenager (which was over 20 years ago) I couldn't go online and read about different beginner workouts and diets. When I joined the gym I was given a program by the gym owner which had me doing 90 minute workouts 5-6 times a week. I was overtraining and undereating and it's no wonder why I made hardly any gains. I just thought I was one of those hard gainers. Luckily I found out what works for me when I was doing my mandatory military service. Our military base had a really small training room which only had a bench, a couple of barbells, a pullup/dip station and not much else. I started working out only 3 times a week doing the most basic stuff, bench, overhead press, deadlifts, dips, pull ups etc. and never for much more than 45 minutes. And what happened after that? I started growing like a weed! I went from 165lb to 195lb in five months without gaining much fat and probably put ca 50 lb on my bench as well. So much for me being the hard gainer I thought I was...

I wish I had been able to read the OP when I was a teenager and could have started down the right path from the beginning. Even though I started working out ages ago and have read thousands of training articles this thread is still giving me some excellent info and motivation on weekly basis. If you are a beginner, do yourself a favour. Do some research, start following a proven program, get educated about your diet. You will save a lot of time and you will see the results sooner. There are no excuses nowadays.

Mark1

Heading back to the gym next week, however I do have a question regarding doing your diet while at university. Is it possible to put meals together if it's not possible to eat at a specific time (say if you were in a class which didn't allow food)? I heard that you can't eat too much protein per meal, is that true?

EDIT: Also, if you started a program, but stopped doing it for a while for whatever reason (no money, university studies, going abroad, etc), would I have wasted some muscle gain potential with it if I left it so long?

Had my first ridiculously LOUSY workout day yesterday in a good long while.

My sleep really affected me this time. My grip was loose and I was unfocused throughout all my exercises. I almost dropped the deadlift halfway through my reps.

Basically I failed all my exercises in form.

But fuck it, I'll retry things on monday... important lesson learned about how vital sleep really is.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
So what do I do if I'm traveling for a week with no access to a gym, but I'm in the middle of a 5/3/1 cycle? Should I start over when I get back, or can I just pick up from where I left off?

So what do I do if I'm traveling for a week with no access to a gym, but I'm in the middle of a 5/3/1 cycle? Should I start over when I get back, or can I just pick up from where I left off?

Depends. You could pick up where you left off and skip the deload week (or not), you could start over with the 5s from the same cycle and just try to match/beat your PRs, etc.

It's just one week in the grand scheme of things don't worry too much about it.

MjFrancis

Wendler lays out a few options in the 5/3/1 for Powerlifting FAQ for dealing with extended time off the program:

• 1. Start where you left off and only get the prescribed reps.
  • 2. Do the deload week first to get back into the swing of things.
  • 3. Screw it all – go balls out.
  • 4. Start an entire cycle over again – from square one.
Since you are going on vacation and aren't suffering a layoff because you are sick, I'd go with option number one after keeping this in mind:
It's just one week in the grand scheme of things don't worry too much about it.

Thinking of doing some jump rope for fun/conditioning. Two questions: 1) Should I get a rope with weighted handles? It's like 0.5 lbs per handle so I'm not sure if it's really going to serve much of a purpose and they cost about $5-10 more. 2) Should I get a weighted vest to use while jumping rope? If so, any recommendations on a good, adjustable-weight vest?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom