• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Brolic is right Sphinx. Focus on getting strong in the majors like DL/squat/OHP/bench/pullups.

If you are looking for specific bi and tri exercises I would stick to BB curls and weighted dips and close grip bench. Any exercise which allows you to load up on heavy weight is the best IMO.

In regards to fitting them in I would have to know your routine.

I will say that my bis rarely burn as much as when I'm doing high rep pullups.

SeanR1221

Can't go wrong with BB curls, dips and CGBP like cooter says.

Actually, that's what Brolic has me doing as accessory work on bench day :)

SeanR1221

Went out with my parents to this small diner and got this huge platter.

Just a giant mix of eggs, home fries, bacon, sausage and eggs. Came with toast too. I'm pretty stuffed right now so it's time to go kill it at the gym.

Mark1

Is it possible to put 2 meals together if it's not possible to eat at a specific time (say if you were in a class which didn't allow food)? I heard that you can't eat too much protein per meal, is that true?

If you were in the middle of a program, but stopped doing it for a while for a reason (no money), would I have wasted some muscle gain potential with it if I left it so long?

SeanR1221

Is it possible to put 2 meals together if it's not possible to eat at a specific time (say if you were in a class which didn't allow food)? I heard that you can't eat too much protein per meal, is that true?

If you were in the middle of a program, but stopped doing it for a while for a reason (no money), would I have wasted some muscle gain potential with it if I left it so long?

Eat when you can. Cooter eats most of his calories in one meal and look at him.

Depends how long you took off.

Mark1

Eat when you can. Cooter eats most of his calories in one meal and look at him.

Depends how long you took off.
It's been quite a few weeks now, I've been skint for a while so have not been able to afford a gym membership :(. As much as I want one.

I've been doing the running though since it's so cheap :p

SeanR1221

It's been quite a few weeks now, I've been skint for a while so have not been able to afford a gym membership :(. As much as I want one.

A few weeks as in a month? Yeah there will be strength loss. Doesn't mean it won't come back quickly.

you should invest in a pullupbar and some adjustable dumbbells from a second hand store (don't buy that shit new its so cheap second hand). they'll last you for life, will fit in any place you ever live (the dbs), and are good for times like that when you're lacking the money or time to go to the gym. better than nothing.

Mark1

A few weeks as in a month? Yeah there will be strength loss. Doesn't mean it won't come back quickly.
Yeah, I'd say just about more than a month, maybe a month and a half.

you should invest in a pullupbar and some adjustable dumbbells from a second hand store (don't buy that shit new its so cheap second hand). they'll last you for life, will fit in any place you ever live (the dbs), and are good for times like that when you're lacking the money or time to go to the gym. better than nothing.
Hmm, thanks for this advice. Will look into it, interesting stuff :)

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
high volume lat work makes me feel like I'm sprouting wings. Great workout today, no pain! Welcome home right trapezius, we SHRUGGIN forever!

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Was lethargic getting out of bed this morning, I think I need to eat MOAR.

MLFmOu8.jpg

sphinx

the piano man
thanks guys for your input.

I understand completely the answers, I know that having a strength mentality will take me farther than isolation at the stage I am in, as a novice.

I guess I will try improve the assistance I do in regular days, change some exercises and investigate which wor better for me and spice things up, I thing I been fooling around a little too long with some of the assitance I've been doing and my body is getting used to it. Or maybe I am just bored, I don't know, I know I need to find exercises that make sense and fit with the compounds well.

on another note, I just broke the Squat PR!!!, exactly 214.5 lbs or 97.5 kgs.

yesterday I felt terribly after practicing piano, with headache and an aching stomach and decided to cancel the gym. I went today and as I was doing the warm up sets, it was clear it was going to happen, I gotta say, my left knee started to feel weird so I kinda freaked out but pulled through, I was pretty hyped walking in circles pretty fast around the power rack lol, the next increment means a whooping 100 kilograms!! which means 4 big plates here in this kg based gym, I am thriiiilled to try that.

thomaser

Good news: deadlifted 140 kilos (three plates) for the first time today! That has been a long-term goal for many years, since it used to be twice my body weight (the new double-bw-goal is 146 kilos).

Bad news: I filmed myself for the first rep and my form was horrible, with a rounded back through the whole motion. Real eye-opener. Had no idea my form was like that. Why has nobody smacked me around, telling me to sharpen up? The rest of the reps were better, but still shaky.

Here's my shame on video (first, third and fourth out of five reps).

Please tell me how I can do this better. I'm very tall and thin, so I use a wide stance (legs slightly outside the grooves in the bar) in order to get in position comfortably.Should I use an even wider stance, making it easier to tighten my back? Or should I use a lower starting position for my butt? I tried to tighten my back as much as I could after seeing that first rep. I also see that I didn't lock out properly, but put down the bar too fast. This was the first time I ever filmed myself, by the way, so the videos are also pretty bad and not very good for form checks.

Chocobro

Please tell me how I can do this better. I'm very tall and thin, so I use a wide stance (legs slightly outside the grooves in the bar) in order to get in position comfortably.Should I use an even wider stance, making it easier to tighten my back? Or should I use a lower starting position for my butt? I tried to tighten my back as much as I could after seeing that first rep. I also see that I didn't lock out properly, but put down the bar too fast. This was the first time I ever filmed myself, by the way, so the videos are also pretty bad and not very good for form checks.

To fix the upper back rounding, puff up your chest (have your chest up) and stick your butt back. Here's a timestamp for OmarIsuf's video showing the fix. Also since you said you are tall, a lower hip height will probably do better for you (2:40 in the link I gave you). Try those out.

*Another way to fix the rounded back is to take a wider grip, but you'll be doing the snatch grip DL.

Do wait for others to give advice, I'm only a beginner. The things I told you are the things I keep in mind when I deadlift though.

J. Bravo

Beard time. I think it'll help my bulk.

You have super broad shoulders. That with the combo of the relatively skinny waist and great lat spread make you look something like a freak. In a good way though, haha :)

Man, I feel so much better than I have in the last weeks. I can't wait to actually lift tomorrow, get back to school, regular work schedule, etc. Although I woke up this morning and looked like I was back in high school, I was so skinny.

Visceir

I switched to a new gym this month. Dunno what it exactly is but I'm running out of energy so much faster there. It could be that I haven't yet fully recovered from my flu yet, but I think it's more likely that the ventilation there is just really bad and I don't have any air to breath.

Since I failed my 77.5 kg incline bench multiple times I just decided to do a deload and start with regular bench press instead. Started at 70 kg again the last time and did 72.5 kg today. Hope I'll be able to progress past 77.5 kg this time, will try to eat more again too.

Ekdrm2d1

Haven't posted in this thread yet.

I think I bruised my rib. I feel pain. A little saddened, I gotta take it easy until it heals. If it doesn't heal on its own I gotta go to the doctor.

I think the injury was caused by me being clumsy and falling to the ground. Surely I would have braced myself with my arms or what not.. Why would my ribs be bruised or damaged?

Haven't told my trainer.. Feel ashamed.

Edit: Today is Sunday so I had to go to the park to do "Pull-up Sunday." Hopefully the 60 pull-ups I did (bicep and chest variants) did not make it worse. If my form was correct, I was using my biceps and chest (and some forearms/back.) I knew better to exercise while injured, but I had to! lol

thomaser

To fix the upper back rounding, puff up your chest (have your chest up) and stick your butt back. Here's a timestamp for OmarIsuf's video showing the fix. Also since you said you are tall, a lower hip height will probably do better for you (2:40 in the link I gave you). Try those out.

*Another way to fix the rounded back is to take a wider grip, but you'll be doing the snatch grip DL.

Do wait for others to give advice, I'm only a beginner. The things I told you are the things I keep in mind when I deadlift though.

Thanks! That video was a good reminder of what to do. I try to be mindful of my form every time, but today's workout shows that I'm obviously not diligent enough. It WAS the heaviest I have ever lifted, though, so perfect form wouldn't be realistic anyway.

Oh man, such a good feeling walking home after a hard day in the gym. I'm definitely a novice, but feels good man.

Got one of the staff members to show me deadlifts too. Next I'll ask about power cleans.

Chittagong

Gold Member
The last mile in getting properly ripped is really, really fucking slow.

As a newbie I managed to shed some 55lbs with no muscle loss or in fact some muscle gain relatively easily. The fat just came melting off me.

But now at 6'2" at 205lbs the fat loss is really, really slow. An absolute grind where I am lucky to get 0.5-1lbs week when I am being diligent with nutrition and routine. I think I still need to drop some 15lbs until I am ripped.

sphinx

the piano man
Brolic and Blackflag sporting that awesome manly look. Beards FTW.

The last mile in getting properly ripped is really, really fucking slow.

As a newbie I managed to shed some 55lbs with no muscle loss or in fact some muscle gain relatively easily. The fat just came melting off me.

But now at 6'2" at 205lbs the fat loss is really, really slow. An absolute grind where I am lucky to get 0.5-1lbs week when I am being diligent with nutrition and routine. I think I still need to drop some 15lbs until I am ripped.

I understand your goals, as I 've been reading your posts for the last months in this and the weight loss thread so I will try to give an advice:

Considering your progress all this time, I think it's time to forget about your previous, overweight self and stop getting obssessed about the things that kept your mind busy back when you started.

With this I mean, it's time to turn all this into a permanent life style and stop paying that kind of attention to the scale. Train like a pro, eat accordingly and the pieces will fall in place with time, just stop thinking about the 0.1 lbs changes in the scale, that's just static noise.

Since you do compounds, I assume you want to get muscled, otherwise you'd be posting in other threads. You've obtained a solid base all this time, got rid of most of the flab so now it's strength/power time. slowly leave your idea of your chubby self in the past, where it belongs and change your approach. Wanting to get ripped is o.k as a goal, but there are better things to think about in the strength discipline.

I hope I am not misunderstood here... I tried to find the right words, I hope I got the message across.

despire

It would be nice if we had more routines linked in the OP. There's 8 routines listed now but it would be interesting to get some more variety there. Proven routines that someone from FitGaf has used because I know people here have used a variety of different routines other than what's listed in there now.

Of course it would be nice if we could link to some sort of free write-up.

deadbeef

If I missed my week 2 reps (3x3) on DL but hit my week 3, should I deload? I was planning a full 10% deload but I don't want to cede any progress if its not needed.

What do you guys think?

Chittagong

Gold Member
I understand your goals, as I 've been reading your posts for the last months in this and the weight loss thread so I will try to give an advice:

Considering your progress all this time, I think it's time to forget about your previous, overweight self and stop getting obssessed about the things that kept your mind busy back when you started.

With this I mean, it's time to turn all this into a permanent life style and stop paying that kind of attention to the scale. Train like a pro, eat accordingly and the pieces will fall in place with time, just stop thinking about the 0.1 lbs changes in the scale, that's just static noise.

Since you do compounds, I assume you want to get muscled, otherwise you'd be posting in other threads. You've obtained a solid base all this time, got rid of most of the flab so now it's strength/power time. slowly leave your idea of your chubby self in the past, where it belongs and change your approach. Wanting to get ripped is o.k as a goal, but there are better things to think about in the strength discipline.

I hope I am not misunderstood here... I tried to find the right words, I hope I got the message across.

that's really eye opening - never had thought about it in that way, because I have indeed been so obsessed on the same goal as when I started, shedding fat while not losing muscle. That's what a chubby guy would want to focus on, body recomposition.

you are right, I probably need a complete reset of my self image and a result, goals and philosophy. go all into strength / muscle growth and train + eat accordingly.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
1s week dead lifts great success. 305x5, 345x3, 385x1. 385 was smooth so I tried 405. Got it pretty easy as well. Felt good haven't dead lifted 4 plates in 8 years or so. Over 2x body weight. Now new goal 455#.

Followed with front squats 95, 135, 165, 185 x 5.

Nice work, friend. I think I'm on the same weight. Also had 1s week DL just now. Got 2 reps at 385, but skipped going higher since I had BBB 5x10 at 225 after. Drenched afterwards!

Have 125kg lined up for squats 1s week on Thursday. Think that would be a 1RM all time max for me. Might try for 130kg if that feels easy, which it should since I repped an easy 3 at 120 last week.

Now if only my OHP could keep up, but instead it feels like I'm getting weaker. Something's wrong when I can't even press a UFC Flyweight for a single... :(((

MacNille

Banned
Gonna go and train some stomach today. Will try some different methods today.
Also, how long are your standard passes? Mine are around 1h.

Also, how long are your standard passes? Mine are around 1h.

Is stomach training another way of saying "eat a lot of food to practice expanding my stomach"? Kind of like what a professional eater does, I mean. And, a pass I guess is passing a stool aka taking a shit? Because bro if it takes you 1 hour on average to shit you may want to re-evaluate that diet!

Oh, I see your post below.

I think most of us, and most lifters in general, go for around a 45 minute to 1 hour lifting session. There are clearly exceptions that can extend up to two hours, but I'd say for the average person, 45 minutes to 1 hour is the perfect amount of time to lift, taking into account time to rest between reps/sets but not take so long you are wasting time. On the other hand, if you could totally get a 10-15 minute lifting session in and still make excellent use of it if you go in and knock out a great set of deadlifts, squats, etc and then just leave after that.

sphinx

the piano man
that's really eye opening - never had thought about it in that way, because I have indeed been so obsessed on the same goal as when I started, shedding fat while not losing muscle. That's what a chubby guy would want to focus on, body recomposition.

you are right, I probably need a complete reset of my self image and a result, goals and philosophy. go all into strength / muscle growth and train + eat accordingly.

I am glad you took it the right away :) your other post sounds like it was posted by the chubby guy from many months back. That guy is gone, the flab is gone, you have to realize that.

if you were into looking as lean as possible, I'd say eat at a calorific deficit and do a shitton of cardio but you post here and post squat videos so you want a strong body and not exactly the skinny, BPFC* body. (brad pitt fight club)

so you are exactly in the point were you take a turn from the guy losing weight to the guy getting strong through strength training, the variables change completely, I don't say you have to bulk away mindlessly, but do change the mindest and eat and train to get stronger and bigger if you think you have already reached a reasonable weight.

Nice! I'd join team beard but I can't grow hair right next to either side of the tip of my chin, so I can't get that full beard look :/. It looks like big side burns and a goatee :-0

when was the last time you tried growing a beard? I remember having exactly that problem in my mid 20's but now being 35, and training and producing more hormones, the facial hair has absolutely improved, I have no doubt about it, hair is thicker and patches (I have 2 small on the sides) are almost unnoticeable. In fact, the first time I tried a full beard was being 34 because I was absolutely sure hair wouldn't grow on the sides, at all. I was surprised.

if the last time you tried was when you were chubby or as thin as in your last before after, you may want to give it a try again later on. who knows :)

some guys here love Taco Bell, you may wanna try that method. lol

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
I meant to say that I will train my abs. I also wanted to know how long you train at a time.

You could say I trained abs today. Did heavy deadlifts, followed by high reps deadlifts, and then hanging leg raises.

I usually train for about one hour. One entire session dedicated to and seems entirely redundant.

MacNille

Banned
You could say I trained abs today. Did heavy deadlifts, followed by high reps deadlifts, and then hanging leg raises.

I usually train for about one hour. One entire session dedicated to and seems entirely redundant.

I will not only train my abs today. I will also do some pulldown, leg press, maybe do some bench press and push-ups. Because I believe in fitness.

SeanR1221

I will not only train my abs today. I will also do some pulldown, leg press, maybe do some bench press and push-ups. Because I believe in fitness.

What's your program look like?

---

Sphinx, it's definitely been a while. You make a good point, I wonder how it would look now :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom