• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
If I missed my week 2 reps (3x3) on DL but hit my week 3, should I deload? I was planning a full 10% deload but I don't want to cede any progress if its not needed.

What do you guys think?

Nope, keep going until you fail worse than that.

If I missed at 3x3 I'd redo the last set and get at least the missed rep+

Now if you you get to the last set and can't even bang out more than one or the first rep is failure I'd go one more cycle and see if it was a bad week.

What is this fake motorcycle thing?

manx_tt_superbikes_arcade.jpg

MacNille

Banned
What's your program look like?

---

Sphinx, it's definitely been a while. You make a good point, I wonder how it would look now :-D

First I start with ten min jog on the Treadmill as a warmup. After that, I do leg press in 3X10 (50 kg on the first set, 80 on the second and 100 on the last one). After that I do 3X15 pulldowns with 30 kg at minimum. Then I do row (the weight-lifting variant) 3X15 30-40kg. I then do 3X15 pushdown on 30 kg and 3X15 Biceps curl on 30 kg. After that I may do some bench press. I will vary on how much Kg I take ( I can take 70 kg at a max, which I manged today). The last things that I do is sit-ups (3X15) and push-ups (3X10). That is the program that I follow most of the day, but sometimes I will change up.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
First I start with ten min jog on the Treadmill as a warmup. After that, I do leg press in 3X10 (50 kg on the first set, 80 on the second and 100 on the last one). After that I do 3X15 pulldowns with 30 kg at minimum. Then I do row (the weight-lifting variant) 3X15 30-40kg. I then do 3X15 pushdown on 30 kg and 3X15 Biceps curl on 30 kg. After that I may do some bench press. I will vary on how much Kg I take ( I can take 70 kg at a max, which I manged today). The last things that I do is sit-ups (3X15) and push-ups (3X10). That is the program that I follow most of the day, but sometimes I will change up.

That's not a program, it's a clusterfuck.

Do yourself a favor and read the op, come up with some tangible goals and progression, then join the conversation. We can help you, we have the technology.

Are you using the same weights in all your workouts?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
well, that is my program that I have got from my PT.

That doesn't mean anything really. Your PT could be a huge moron (many are). Getting certified doesn't mean jack shit other than you're certified by the people you paid to certify you and passed their specific requirement.

Also if "you're changing it up sometimes" you're not following your PT's "routine."

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

No squatting?
jbyaFpA5WfgFge_e.jpg

I feel squats are the most essential movement.

Petrie

Banned

Learn to think for yourself a bit. Get educated. What you're doing is a waste of time and money.

Get a real program and watch the results come.

That doesn't mean anything really. Your PT is in fact a huge moron (many are). Getting certified doesn't mean jack shit other than you're certified by the people you paid to certify you and passed their specific requirement.

Also if "you're changing it up sometimes" you're not following your PT's "routine."

Fixed that for you buddy.

despire

Question for people following the 5/3/1 Periodization Bible:

What rep ranges do you use on your assistance lifts? Wendler says 10-20 for all assistance. but that's a pretty big range..

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

I know it might be a turnoff for being in this thread and seeing everyone say "your PT is shit" - but don't take it the wrong way brah. We want to see people get stronger - and most PTs are, as mentioned, just certified and do whatever they want. They benefit from you having to come back to them and will rarely give you good advice that is something you can build off of. Sort of like feed a man a fish/teach a man to fish.

Check out the OP, for real, and give it a try for a week or two and let us know. I have a ton of faith in the OP routines and SS did a lot for me, and does for most people. Don't let our negativity towards PTs get you down too much and stay away. Just don't be afraid to expand your mind with this, explore, and grill your PT on some of it.

Question for people following the 5/3/1 Periodization Bible:

What rep ranges do you use on your assistance lifts? Wendler says 10-20 for all assistance. but that's a pretty big range..

10-15 for me periodically (har) ravages my massels. Doubt I could do 20s for a lot.

SeanR1221

homerbushes.gif

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I see. Well, then I will try out those tips that are in the OP. Thanks for the advice :)

My translator decoded this to mean. "Yeah, well I'm gonna stick with what I'm doing, so fuck off."

I also detect that you didn't read the op since you referred to it as "tips."

In any regard, good luck with meeting your goals, have fun training, and keep us updated!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
And you use those reps on all assistance? Even stuff that would normally use lower reps, like presses?

Yeah. It's a balance to find the right weight that won't blow you up, but after 3 weeks I finally got a good balance that makes me feel destroyed without it lasting for 3 days in a row.

I need to consume more fats. I'm starting to feel ornery and annoyed with everything.

Meat up.
jbwILv877pefkL_e.jpg

J. Bravo

That's really impressive , if dumb as fuck haha.

In the meantime, nothin but party pizzas and protein shakes for me until I get my 10 pounds back, I don't care if it's fat. And since I can't play basketball for a couple months, I might just gain 20!

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
No squatting?

I feel squats are the most essential movement.
fixed for accuracy. every single muscle below your amrpits is engaged in an ass-to-grass squat. of course you can "fix that" with overhead squatting, but the loss in weight plus added emphasis to core isn't anywhere near the same as loading up a shitload of weight on the bar and touching your ass to your ankles.

deadbeef

atm, I'm kinda burned out on ground beef. I need to find other ways to prep it. But I will stop by the store and get some bacon and avocados. Make some guac and eat the bacon in the morning. That and steak.

Andouille sausage mixes really great with eggs. Chorizo also of course!

sphinx

the piano man

you should definitely try a proven program but even if you tried to improve what you are doing right now, one thing that should ring an alarm is that you are doing a bunch if things that have absolutely no context or relation to each other, that's one hell of a frankenstein of a workout program.

you always have to question everything. what happens with more weight and less reps or less weight more reps? are all exercises equally important? (answer to this is NO!) why should I do this or that exercise? is it supposed to serve as assitance to something else (like a compound)? do I really need that at the strength level I am now? if yes, how, (sets? reps?)? is that exercise redundant with another exercise I am already doing? and many other questions, most of which are answered in the OP, that's why you should give it a try.

and damn, I always cringe when I see programs that propose static weight, stuff like "I do 3 sets, 10 reps at 40, 60, 80 lbs every week", :-(

like Sunflower says, don't be upset with the replies, just stick around and ask everything you can here. Try to educate yourself by reading everywhere about the discipline.

I need programming advice! How should I include curls in dips into SS? Should the latter be weighted?

edit: In other news, my right knee is wrecked right now. I won't be able to squat for at least a week, and it's driving me nuts.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I need programming advice! How should I include curls in dips into SS? Should the latter be weighted?

Throw em on at the end, no need for weighted dips yet. You'll know it when it's time to weigh em down. Don't rush it.

Throw em on at the end, no need for weighted dips yet. You'll know it when it's time to weigh em down. Don't rush it.

Right, I'm just wondering if people advocate (for curls) high reps, or do something akin to the 3x5.

As for dips, I'm able to do 8-9 reps (3 sets) weighted at 25lbs. Should I drop the weight and focus on reps for now?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Right, I'm just wondering if people advocate (for curls) high reps, or do something akin to the 3x5.

As for dips, I'm able to do 8-9 reps (3 sets) weighted at 25lbs. Should I drop the weight and focus on reps for now?

High reps for both. Bicep curls are vanity imho, so best to go for high reps to maximize them vanity lookins. I used to want to curl higher and higher weights then I had a bicep tear scare. So I went lower and longer, and man, them shits buuuuuuurn.

J. Bravo

I moved up in weight on dips when I could do 3 sets of 15. So once I could get 3x15 BW, I added 10 pounds. Then another 15. Then another 10. etc. I just used the plates.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Blah!! Cheat day yesterday included an entire 16" pizza, over two pints of ice cream, and some cereal. Feeling like a large pile of dog feces today. Yuck!

Noema

I'd do 3x8 on curls.

Can you do 15 unweighted dips? If so, doing them weighed is fine and add weight in a linear progression, maybe 2.5lb per week. If you can't do 3x15 unweighted yet I'd hold off a bit longer. And make sure your ROM is complete (ie, your humeruses are are slightly below parallel at the bottom).

Noema

I want to look like fitgafman. How do I do this? My PT has me doing step ups and half squats on the smith machine

I'd do leg extensions 5x25 and more calf raises to failure.

Also stop going so deep in your squats! You will blow out your knees. Do quarter squats to failure supersetted with leg presses.

If that doesn't work you have bad genetics and you'll never ever grow unless you juice yourself up.

borghe

make sure you are getting full ROM on your dips. if you aren't practically touching your armpits, IMHO I would work on full ROM before adding weight. Just like squatting (or anything else) it's those last couple inches that are the hardest.

also if you are doing bar dips and have the ability to go to rings, again I would do that before adding weight. shoulder stability is again IMHO a bigger player than just weight.

ultimate goal should be weighted ring dips basically down to your armpits (or as far as your mobility gets you)

And make sure your ROM is complete (ie, your humeruses are are slightly below parallel at the bottom).
like I said above, honestly full ROM is FULL ROM i.e. as much as your mobility allows for. the lower you go, the more across your full ROM that will be strengthened. Kind of like when people recommend just below parallel on squats. That is a great goal to get to, but honestly you will only benefit by going all the way down, even if it means lowering the weight and working back up from there. I mean it ultimately comes down to mobility, but if you have it, get down to your armpits (or wherever).

SeanR1221

I'd do leg extensions 5x25 and more calf raises to failure.

Also stop going so deep in your squats! You will blow out your knees. Do quarter squats to failure supersetted with leg presses.

If that doesn't work you have bad genetics and you'll never ever grow unless you juice yourself up.

Ok I think I can do this at planet fitness.

Have to stop putting off buying micro-plates. I have full on stalled on OHP right around a 170-175lb 1RM

Be sure to let us know what plates you get. I've been in the market for some for a while, but haven't been seriously looking. Someone here (Zoe?) advocated using those adjustable ankle weights, which don't seem like a bad idea.

Petrie

Banned
Be sure to let us know what plates you get. I've been in the market for some for a while, but haven't been seriously looking. Someone here (Zoe?) advocated using those adjustable ankle weights, which don't seem like a bad idea.

That...actually seems really smart and easier to throw in my bag.

I need something, tired of my OHP staying the same.

borghe

Dude....lol

Your sarcasm radar is totally broken

/smh

fair enough..... :( Still new to this thread. :)

ironically in other squatting news, I hit a new 1RM PR today. 230#. My previous PR was 225#. Then around July or so I missed on a 225# x2 and injured my lower back. :( Back has been around 100% for like 2-3 weeks now and I hit the 230# this morning gloriously! Could not be happier!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom