• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question for people following the 5/3/1 Periodization Bible:

What rep ranges do you use on your assistance lifts? Wendler says 10-20 for all assistance. but that's a pretty big range..

I start at around 10 reps for each assistance lift, with a goal to aim for 1 or 2 more reps (total, not per set) for each lifting session. I mean, if I can get more than 1 or 2 extra reps I will, but realistically it's pretty rare for me to go up by more than a couple of reps per session. Once I hit 15+ reps for each set, I up the weight and get as many reps as I can (which is often between 10-14 reps) at the new, heavier weight. Then, I just keep working back up to 15 reps again. Seems to work well for me.

OMFG FOR ALL THAT IS GOOD AND HOLY NOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Your goal for squatting should ALWAYS be ass to the grass. If you have mobility problems getting there, your goal should be staying at the same weight while working to go lower. For god sake he has INCREDIBLE form in that pic for that depth. And even his supposed butt wink he claimed... I certainly couldn't see it.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=140623931&page=1

that is from bodybuilding.com, but I can find articles/threads from virtually ANY workout methodology/program stating the same thing. The lower you go, the better the weight transfer, the more you engage (or at all engage) your hamstrings and hips, the more you engage your core, and the BETTER it is for your knees, as you are now strengthening them along the entire ROM. There is no exercise in existence that you are better off with only a quarter or half ROM (mobility issues notwithstanding).

ass to the grass squats unless you are going like 1-3RM in which case you should be at least breaking parallel, though even then ass-to-the-grass will be best. I honestly can't think of one single advantage to a quarter squat except for boosting numbers.

Noema was joking.

despire

/smh

fair enough..... :( Still new to this thread. :)

ironically in other squatting news, I hit a new 1RM PR today. 230#. My previous PR was 225#. Then around July or so I missed on a 225# x2 and injured my lower back. :( Back has been around 100% for like 2-3 weeks now and I hit the 230# this morning gloriously! Could not be happier!

When you spend more time here, you notice that Noema is literally the best source in proper lifting technique we have here (and that I know of outside of actual couches) ;)

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I go parallel on my squats. I just like it better.

rule of thumb is you should go as low as you can without your lower back rounding. ideally you then work on hip, hamstring and ankle/calf mobility to continue to go even lower. sadly some of us are just born with short hamstrings, and others of us have worked sitting at a desk for like 15 years.

and then there's me with both. horrible flexibility basically everywhere.

rule of thumb is you should go as low as you can without your lower back rounding. ideally you then work on hip, hamstring and ankle/calf mobility to continue to go even lower. sadly some of us are just born with short hamstrings, and others of us have worked sitting at a desk for like 15 years.

This is a true point. I can go A2G but I usually just stop at parallel. Maybe I will do a reboot next year. Same with bench. My arms are so damn long that I don't touch the bar on my chest. I stop a bit before it.

Pete Rock

There is no other feeling like driving out of the hole with your glutes and hams fully loaded around open hips, making me hot and bothered just thinking about it.

Chittagong

Gold Member
This is a true point. I can go A2G but I usually just stop at parallel. Maybe I will do a reboot next year. Same with bench. My arms are so damn long that I don't touch the bar on my chest. I stop a bit before it.

I did this but realized that for me stopping it an inch or two above the chest depletes crazy amounts of energy compared to a controlled steady descent. I still do it instinctively if I am afraid that I can't make a full rep back up, which makes the next rep even worse

APF

Most people who squat a2g are high-bar squatters, and I agree that if you squat high-bar you're better off developing the mobility to be able to go the full ROM. For low-bar squatters I feel parallel is fine, as long as the trainee can be honest and consistent with depth. That's the good thing about doing 100% ROM, there's no question you're being consistent.

abuC

Knee almost buckled going up some steps yesterday, may have to cut down on the volume or weight yet again.

My knees are Greg Oden status in general.

thomaser

Going to start another routine tomorrow. I've been on SS far too long, and I can't keep up with the load any more. Could probably go on a little bit with deadlifts and bench, but I've reached the limit in squats and ohp. Think I'll do 531 from now on!

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Most people who squat a2g are high-bar squatters, and I agree that if you squat high-bar you're better off developing the mobility to be able to go the full ROM. For low-bar squatters I feel parallel is fine, as long as the trainee can be honest and consistent with depth. That's the good thing about doing 100% ROM, there's no question you're being consistent.

I'm sure you guys have seen my squat videos before, but I feel so much more comfortable going all the way down on squats as opposed to stopping myself at parallel. I feel like that requires more effort and is worse for my knees and lower back. I dunno the science behind it and it probably matters not much in the grand scheme of things, but that's just the way I've been doing it.

On a related note, I complimented this dude on his high-bar squat form today. Textbook perfect squats for ten reps @ 315 lbs. It was amazing actually. He seemed really appreciative too.

Chocobro

I lost it when he showed us how to use the smith machine in the last 30 seconds or so :lol
Pretend you're a truck driver, honk honk.

On a related note: in the first week I started going to the gym, I was on vacation in Canada. We stayed at the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise Hotel for a night and I found the gym and thought, 'hey looks like I can do squats!' I didn't know it was a smith machine :| Beginner mistake.

Shadybiz

woof, I can't do A2G to save my life. I can get juuussst about parallel. I just recently started squatting though, so I'm sure the flexibility will come. More accurately, I just recently rebooted, because I realized I was doing them completely wrong, so now I'm going for correct form. I have stiff knees at this point in time.

Cudder

those new Quest bars are GOD TIER.

1. Chocolate Double Chunk
2. Cookie Dough
3. White Chocolate Raspberry
4. Chocolate Brownie

i will never get any other flavour other than those

Chocobro

I'm going to have to bother you guys with squat form check videos again. Sorry Noema if you wasted time watching the link I PMd you on Friday.
Video 1, Video 2
I can't make promises, but I'll keep the form check video posts to a minimum in the future.

Edit: Noticing my knees caving in, fuck.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Well, that went well. After a week off I decided to try and go for it. hit 200lb Deadlifts 1x5 successfully. It was tough but it went smoothly and controlled. Bench Press finally hit the 100 mark and my squats were difficult as fuck all my sets at 130 went swimmingly. I'm happy as fuck with these numbers so far.

I'm going to have to bother you guys with squat form check videos again. Sorry Noema if you wasted time watching the link I PMd you on Friday.
Video 1, Video 2
I can't make promises, but I'll keep the form check video posts to a minimum in the future.

Edit: Noticing my knees caving in, fuck.

looks like youre squatting lowbar, but with a highbar setup.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
looks like youre squatting lowbar, but with a highbar setup.

Yeah. With high-bar, you ought to go deeper, and one way to do that is by thinking about sitting down between your legs instead of sitting back as you would during a low-bar squat.

Groof

Disregarding the fact that my first day of cutting felt like it went absolutely horribly, the exercises I put into MyFitnessPal didn't change any numbers at all. I input them through the website under Exercise>Strength Training. Did I do something wrong? :(

despire

What do you guys think about this?

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/to-bulk-or-to-cut-that-is-the-question-or-is-it/

In summary, it tells you to figure out your goal weight and BF% and then figure out the maintenance calories for that kind of person. Then you will eat those calories untill you hit that goal. For example, if you're 150lbs/20%bf and you want to be 160lbs/12%bf, you will eat like you were 160lbs with 12% bodyfat untill you hit that level. Then adjust. Essentially it's a recomp plan to avoid cutting/bulking. Apparently Alan Aragon liked it for what it's worth..

Goku

Banned
Hello Bodysculptors, I have a rather unusual problem. My left pec is bigger than my right one and it is quite obvious to me. I've already dropped all dumbbell chest excerwizes in favour of barbell only. Any other tips?

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Hello Bodysculptors, I have a rather unusual problem. My left pec is bigger than my right one and it is quite obvious to me. I've already dropped all dumbbell chest excerwizes in favour of barbell only. Any other tips?
Training in 100 times Earth's gravity ought to do it. If that doesn't work, try testing your mobility and foam rolling, making sure that one side isn't tighter or more bunched up than the other.

ZeroRay

Doing front squats for now to alleviate lumbar strain. Using the bent wrists-elbows up grip. Hopefully I can get a form check vid done one of these days.

Did someone say ground beef?

droooool.png

Oh mama

borghe

benchmark week continues!!

strict press 120# (5# PR). I've been stuck at 115# forever seemingly. Was nice to move on.

1RM weighted pullup. 85#. had it ok. 90# nope.

keezy

I go parallel on my squats. I just like it better.

This... BUT sometimes I switch up my depth depending on what I'm trying to focus on a particular day. Depending on the depth I also need to adjust the weight accordingly. I'm not going to go ATG with 315.

despire

Huh, I was doing incline bench today and got instant DOMS. Like right after the first set. Weird.

I know it's not technically DOMS since it wasn't "delayed" but feels like it

abuC

Huh, I was doing incline bench today and got instant DOMS. Like right after the first set. Weird.

I know it's not technically DOMS since it wasn't "delayed" but feels like it

That's normal for UD 2.0, it's a shitty feeling but you have to push through.

Bought some sausage, bacon, and avocados. Had an avocado for breakfast. All aboard the good fats train. choo chooooo

How much fat are we suppose to consume anyway?

borghe

Bought some sausage, bacon, and avocados. Had an avocado for breakfast. All aboard the good fats train. choo chooooo

How much fat are we suppose to consume anyway?

typical paleo guideline is "eat til you are not hungry".

so if you are lowish on carbs, the answer is "eat til you're full". I mean you shouldn't have a stomach ache, but after you are like "yeah I'm good", eat more. as long as it's not simple carbs, it's virtually impossible to overeat to a point where it is converted into excess amounts of fat.

most of the "he got fat" stories you see are guys taking weight gainers, which are like upwards of 50-100g of carbs on top of fat and protein.

typical paleo guideline is "eat til you are not hungry".

so if you are lowish on carbs, the answer is "eat til you're full". I mean you shouldn't have a stomach ache, but after you are like "yeah I'm good", eat more. as long as it's not simple carbs, it's virtually impossible to overeat to a point where it is converted into excess amounts of fat.

most of the "he got fat" stories you see are guys taking weight gainers, which are like upwards of 50-100g of carbs on top of fat and protein.

well, I'm trying to bulk @ around 4500 calories. So there is a fair amount of carbs being consumed. 225g of protein/125g of fat/whatever g of carbs

blackflag

Yep this is me and why I keep injuring my back. I need yoga or something.....and several more hours in a day.

borghe

well, I'm trying to bulk @ around 4500 calories. So there is a fair amount of carbs being consumed. 225g of protein/125g of fat/whatever g of carbs

damn dude... that's like 600g of carbs. I mean... damn....

IMHO I would knock out a bunch of those carbs and replace with fat. 2:1 obviously.

even if you aren't spiking your insulin with that kind of carb load (though I doubt it) a ton of it is just going right to fat.

unless someone wiser than me can extol the virtues of bulking while raising your BF% by a fair amount.

Yep this is me and why I keep injuring my back. I need yoga or something.....and several more hours in a day.
yeah, the butt wink is your back rounding. a rounded back + loaded up weight = recipe for disaster. When I started, my back rounded ABOVE PARALLEL. Uggh. I am at a point now where I can go a couple inches below parallel with a good lumbar curve. sucky part is there are a TON of mechanics involved on depth/rounding. Calf/ankle flexibility for actual depth, hips and hamstrings for support/strength (where your back actually rounds), core to keep the center of gravity over your heels... I swear squatting is almost just as technical and just as much shit to think about as a snatch or clean...

was talking with a gymnast and rule of thumb is a MINIMUM of half your age in minutes of mobility work A DAY. And even MORE if you have poor mobility.

blackflag

Yeah I been at an insane amount of carbs. I'm sensitive to them but I already get like 320g protein and like 120g fat. Nowhere else to pur those cal0ories except ice cream....i mean carbs.

damn dude... that's like 600g of carbs. I mean... damn....

IMHO I would knock out a bunch of those carbs and replace with fat. 2:1 obviously.

even if you aren't spiking your insulin with that kind of carb load (though I doubt it) a ton of it is just going right to fat.

unless someone wiser than me can extol the virtues of bulking while raising your BF% by a fair amount.

2 grams of carbs:1 gram of fat ?

Around 252 lbs @ 20.5% bf.

265 lbs by Feb 1 seems reasonable to me.

For the most part, I know what I eat in protein. But I am more curious about fat. What is recommended. Everyone has their own say, just curious on what this thread thinks. I myself do not like low carb. Just feel weak and meh on it.

Yeah I been at an insane amount of carbs. I'm sensitive to them but I already get like 320g protein and like 120g fat. Nowhere else to pur those cal0ories except ice cream....i mean carbs.

hehe me too.

love my ice cream.

borghe

if you are looking to get more fat calories... (dead serious on many of these)

cook everything in coconut oil. seriously, even searing beef or chops, seer it in coconut oil.

snack the fuck out of almonds or better yet walnuts. should be about 18g fat and 8-9g of protein per like 1/4 cup.

just add butter to everything. butter in your coffee? (bulletproof coffee). do up sweet potatoes or squash with just a shit ton of butter. I hope your getting lots of veggies, right? Well, saute anything that can be sauteed. hell like above even add a pat of butter here and there to your meat.

if you are not lactose intolerant, drink a ton of whole milk. If you are lactose intolerant, drink a ton of coconut milk. almond milk is also good, but lower fat grams per 8oz serving.

a good concoction in particular is to mix your supplement powder with like an almond/coconut milk blend. Should be able to pretty easily get 8oz of fluid to contain around 12-16g of fat.

biggest tricks/catches to mass fat consumption are a) don't vastly overload your Omega-3-to-Omega-6 ratio. (hence almonds and walnuts, or saturated fats like coconut and butter), and b) because the fats will fill you up (unlike the simple carbs) it actually is difficult to eat a ton. I mean I can eat a whole bag of chips at like 1000 calories without even trying. Literally in one sitting. If I tried eating 1000 calorie of fat/protein in one sitting.. I would be fucking stuffed (basically that would be like a 1lb steak)

2 grams of carbs:1 gram of fat ?

wait, you didn't know? Technically it's even better than that... 1g fat = 9 calories. 1g carb = 4 calories. So if you take out 2g of carbs and replace it with 1g of fat, you come out ahead 1 calorie. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom