• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think i've got a shoulder impingement :( is there anything i should be doing other than resting?
i noticed it last week doing dips, and when i tried to do any pressing movements on friday, the pain was basically at a 7-8 out of 10. i don't plan on touching bench, ohp, LTEs (even these hurt like hell) for 1-2 weeks. i suppose this will give me a good opportunity to work on squat, deadlift, and generally most back exercises, but i am weary since the basic act of loading plates caused discomfort.

Whenever you think about it, keep your shoulder blades squeezed together. That will push them flat against your body and open up the space that impinged the muscle.

I tried lurking around reddit's /r/xxfitness but the popular diets there are stuff like keto, paleo and primal. I really don't see myself doing any of those. I love my diary and I like my carbs and fats occasionally. I just haven't found a good diet that works for me and makes me happy, because that's what matters at the end of the day :)

Part of figuring out diet involves the pace that you want to progress at. I'm in the same camp in that I enjoy all food and cooking way too much to go paleo, keto or full primal. The thing is, unless you are getting really hardcore you can make plenty of progress just by slowly tweaking your diet in smaller amounts along some of the same general principals as those diets. From your post it sounds like you are losing weight so it seems like the changes that you are making are working for you, might not have any need to fool around with hardcore restrictive diets as long as you keep up slow and steady progress.

Like I could never cut out carbs and fruit sugars, I just love them too much. But I do stuff like taking a small scoop of things like rice or pasta and serving only that with dinner to make sure that I don't overdo the unneeded carbs or serving apple with peanut butter to make sure that I also get some protein and fats with my fruit sugars so that I fill up better. I understand that my progress isn't as fast as it could be, but at least my family and I get to enjoy the foods we love while doing it.

Barzul

Any of you guys taken fat burners? Did it work. I've read some articles on reducing body fat and they suggest taking them.

Koriandrr

Part of figuring out diet involves the pace that you want to progress at. I'm in the same camp in that I enjoy all food and cooking way too much to go paleo, keto or full primal. The thing is, unless you are getting really hardcore you can make plenty of progress just by slowly tweaking your diet in smaller amounts along some of the same general principals as those diets. From your post it sounds like you are losing weight so it seems like the changes that you are making are working for you, might not have any need to fool around with hardcore restrictive diets as long as you keep up slow and steady progress.

Like I could never cut out carbs and fruit sugars, I just love them too much. But I do stuff like taking a small scoop of things like rice or pasta and serving only that with dinner to make sure that I don't overdo the unneeded carbs or serving apple with peanut butter to make sure that I also get some protein and fats with my fruit sugars so that I fill up better. I understand that my progress isn't as fast as it could be, but at least my family and I get to enjoy the foods we love while doing it.

Ah that's really helpful thanks!
I think I'll continue and try and cut off the rest of the 'bad stuff' slowly... I do try to have a healthy variety and get my fats and protein. My current problem is that, if I don't eat sugars, I can barely hit my recommended calorie count. According to IFC, I need to eat 1450 on a rest day. I can barely eat 1200 a day without sugars. I just don't eat a lot, all my portions are small and it takes little to fill me up. I think I mostly lost weight not just because I started working out, but that's around the time I stopped having my weekly junk food and minimized the fried food I eat to almost none. That makes a HUGE difference.

Matugi

Any of you guys taken fat burners? Did it work. I've read some articles on reducing body fat and they suggest taking them.

I'm running an EC stack. It works. Appetite suppression is no joke.

The stuff you can buy at stores is mostly bullshit. Usually it's just caffeine with other "antioxidants" like whatever the fuck raspberry ketones are. Ephedrine actually works as a beta-2 agonist by increasing production of adrenaline, which in turn suppresses appetite and increases thermogenesis in the body. Caffeine acts synergystically on ephedrine

Barzul

I'm running an EC stack. It works. Appetite suppression is no joke.

The stuff you can buy at stores is mostly bullshit. Usually it's just caffeine with other "antioxidants" like whatever the fuck raspberry ketones are. Ephedrine actually works as a beta-2 agonist by increasing production of adrenaline, which in turn suppresses appetite and increases thermogenesis in the body. Caffeine acts synergystically on ephedrine

I've been trying to lower my BF% for awhile and I think I really need the appetite suppression boost so I can avoid random snacking. What's an EC stack exactly, can you like buy it? Or is it a mixture of different stuff.

Matugi

I've been trying to lower my BF% for awhile and I think I really need the appetite suppression boost so I can avoid random snacking. What's an EC stack exactly, can you like buy it? Or is it a mixture of different stuff.

It's ephedrine and caffeine. Ephedrine is an amphetamine analogue found in certain OTC nasal decongestants because its properties as a vasodilator and expectorant. Some years ago the US passed legislation requiring purchase of ephedrine and pseudoephedrine-containing products over the counter because both can be used in the manufacture of crystal methamphetamine. Legislation before even this also banned its advertising as a weight loss supplement because of reported deaths due to heat stroke in people taking it, likely due to irresponsible use.

That being said, it's perfectly legal to purchase, there's just a limit on how much you can purchase at once and over a 30 day period. All you have to do is show your driver's license.

The caffeine can be bought anywhere you'd buy caffeine pills or you can even drink coffee or tea for it.

When you are on the full stack you'll be taking the ephedrine and caffeine in a 20/200mg ratio, because this is what studies have proven to be the optimal dosage for maximum thermogenic efficacy.

If you do decide to take it, you need to take the proper precautions to ensure you do not have an adverse effect. That means starting slowly and following a template, and making sure you follow that template strictly. EC can be done absolutely safely.

despire

The only ones worthwhile are ephedrine, synephrine HCL and Yohimbine HCL. Ephedrine is the best (with caffeine) but if you can't get it then the other two are also options.

The you need to keep in mind that they won't do the work for you. You still need a caloric deficint to get leaner. Fat burners just help a little bit by elevating metabolism or suppressing appetite.

And if you do take something for god's sake read the instructions and take them like prescribed. You don't wanna take too much or in a wrong combination.

keezy

I do take my wheatgrass disgusting green juice and green smoothies, because I don't eat green veggies, I've never liked them, so I need to take my greens somehow. I'm kind of growing found of it though. It's kind of nice with a tiny bit of honey. But can't have honey every day.

One more thing. Check out cytogreens. I don't have issues with eating veggies but that's definitely something that's a staple in my arsenal of supplements.

Teggy

Ah that's really helpful thanks!
I think I'll continue and try and cut off the rest of the 'bad stuff' slowly... I do try to have a healthy variety and get my fats and protein. My current problem is that, if I don't eat sugars, I can barely hit my recommended calorie count. According to IFC, I need to eat 1450 on a rest day. I can barely eat 1200 a day without sugars. I just don't eat a lot, all my portions are small and it takes little to fill me up. I think I mostly lost weight not just because I started working out, but that's around the time I stopped having my weekly junk food and minimized the fried food I eat to almost none. That makes a HUGE difference.

I love sugar as well and for me it's a matter of finding substitutes that work combined with planning ahead.

As far as substitutes, find the things that scratch that itch but are worth eating. For me:
Smoothies - I generally make a strawberry smoothie every day which is whey, milk, frozen strawberries, natural peanut butter and fat free greek yogurt. There are tons of different smoothies with good macros, find one that works for you.
Peanut butter - there's no sugar in natural peanut butter, but it always satisfies me for a while.
Quest bars - loved around here, they are a life saver for people with a sweet tooth
Chocolate milk - has to be used sparingly to work with your macros but it can have a place in your diet

Plan ahead - decide you are going to eat something you like and program it into your diary. Then work around it. A couple of squares of good chocolate are easy to fit in, a small box of junior mints at the movies, etc. Something like eating an entire bag of Reese's Pieces (which I have been known to do) is harder to work with, but even a bigger treat like a piece of cake can be easily worked in if you just plan ahead a little.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
but even a bigger treat like a piece of cake can be easily worked in if you just plan ahead a little.

I don't want to sound like an ass, but how exactly do you plan a piece of cake? Do you take a trip to the lab and find out exactly what's in the cake before eating it?

Koriandrr

I love sugar as well and for me it's a matter of finding substitutes that work combined with planning ahead.

As far as substitutes, find the things that scratch that itch but are worth eating. For me:
Smoothies - I generally make a strawberry smoothie every day which is whey, milk, frozen strawberries, natural peanut butter and fat free greek yogurt. There are tons of different smoothies with good macros, find one that works for you.
Peanut butter - there's no sugar in natural peanut butter, but it always satisfies me for a while.
Quest bars - loved around here, they are a life saver for people with a sweet tooth
Chocolate milk - has to be used sparingly to work with your macros but it can have a place in your diet

Plan ahead - decide you are going to eat something you like and program it into your diary. Then work around it. A couple of squares of good chocolate are easy to fit in, a small box of junior mints at the movies, etc. Something like eating an entire bag of Reese's Pieces (which I have been known to do) is harder to work with, but even a bigger treat like a piece of cake can be easily worked in if you just plan ahead a little.

Ah thanks dude!

Um, I've read that fat free yoghurts are actually pretty bad though. Why the fat free? I do eat greek yoghurt, but not fat free. I'm also aware of fruit sugar as well, here's why:
http://greatist.com/health/sugar-wise-how-fruits-stack

I don't know about you, but I used to eat enough fruits to double this daily dose, maybe even tripple it, which is very easy to do in a smoothie. I will definitely try making some with a good dose though! :D

My worst enemy is pastries. I love pastries more than anything else in the world. But I've been pretty good at staying away from them for now. I eat a piece of cake or random sweet pastry like once a month... which is still not ideal >:

Teggy

I don't want to sound like an ass, but how exactly do you plan a piece of cake? Do you take a trip to the lab and find out exactly what's in the cake before eating it?

Well, yeah, sometimes it will be out of a box which makes it easy, but you can also get a decent estimation off the web. Eating can't always be an exact science.

Teggy

Ah thanks dude!

Um, I've read that fat free yoghurts are actually pretty bad though. Why the fat free? I do eat greek yoghurt, but not fat free. I'm also aware of fruit sugar as well, here's why:

I don't know about you, but I used to eat enough fruits to double this daily dose, maybe even tripple it, which is very easy to do in a smoothie. I will definitely try making some with a good dose though! :D

My worst enemy is pastries. I love pastries more than anything else in the world. But I've been pretty good at staying away from them for now. I eat a piece of cake or random sweet pastry like once a month... which is still not ideal >:

I'm not aware of any issue with fat free plain yogurt, maybe you're thinking of the kind with fruit. You can get low-fat plain as well, just adds a little fat.

The fruit in a smoothie is like anything else you count. I think I use a half-cup of frozen strawberries in my smoothie which is about 7g of carbs.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Well, yeah, sometimes it will be out of a box which makes it easy, but you can also get a decent estimation off the web. Eating can't always be an exact science.

That's my problem with IIFYM/calorie counting. It's a whole bunch of broad guesstimation in an attempt to meet very specific numbers (that are also determined by estimates). I guess if it works for you, I can't hate. Something just bothers me about the complete inaccuracy of it all.

ILoveBish

That's my problem with IIFYM/calorie counting. It's a whole bunch of broad guesstimation in an attempt to meet very specific numbers (that are also determined by estimates). I guess if it works for you, I can't hate. Something just bothers me about the complete inaccuracy of it all.

It's more work and higher chance of going over easily. I eat the exact same thing everyday, and that makes eating a lot easier.

It's more work and higher chance of going over easily. I eat the exact same thing everyday, and that makes eating a lot easier.

Amen.

Oatmeal in the morning and Protein Shake for lunch.

Dinner I can have a nice salad or a small protein with rice.

Dinner is where the variety can fly.

Teggy

What's the alternative, though? You can do keto, but that has it's own set of issues if not done properly, and is only a short-term weight loss plan.

At this point I only even use my diary sporadically. I know where most of my common foods weigh in and only need to check if I am eating something out of the ordinary. I don't think most normal (non competitive bodybuilders) people think that their calorie counting is dead accurate. However, it's the consistency that makes it work.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
What's the alternative, though? You can do keto, but that has it's own set of issues if not done properly

Do it properly?

and is only a short-term weight loss plan.

How do determine this? Many people have long-term success. It all depends on how much you have to lose.

I don't think most normal (non competitive bodybuilders) people think that their calorie counting is dead accurate.

The numbers I see people throwing around makes me think differently, honestly.

However, it's the consistency that makes it work.

The same can be said for any diet, really.

Anyway, I don't want to hate on something if it's working. That wasn't my intent. I'll shut up now.

I can't help but feel eating the same thing every day is bad for you in the long-term. Unless you've really got the perfect diet I feel you'd be missing something, even if it is just something minor such as phytochemicals. I don't mean to pick on you specifically and if you're seeing results than who am I to poopoo on your routine, but I'm just a bit concerned about this approach.

Barzul

It's ephedrine and caffeine. Ephedrine is an amphetamine analogue found in certain OTC nasal decongestants because its properties as a vasodilator and expectorant. Some years ago the US passed legislation requiring purchase of ephedrine and pseudoephedrine-containing products over the counter because both can be used in the manufacture of crystal methamphetamine. Legislation before even this also banned its advertising as a weight loss supplement because of reported deaths due to heat stroke in people taking it, likely due to irresponsible use.

That being said, it's perfectly legal to purchase, there's just a limit on how much you can purchase at once and over a 30 day period. All you have to do is show your driver's license.

The caffeine can be bought anywhere you'd buy caffeine pills or you can even drink coffee or tea for it.

When you are on the full stack you'll be taking the ephedrine and caffeine in a 20/200mg ratio, because this is what studies have proven to be the optimal dosage for maximum thermogenic efficacy.

If you do decide to take it, you need to take the proper precautions to ensure you do not have an adverse effect. That means starting slowly and following a template, and making sure you follow that template strictly. EC can be done absolutely safely.

Thanks for the detailed response, I'll look into it.

I can't help but feel eating the same thing every day is bad for you in the long-term. Unless you've really got the perfect diet I feel you'd be missing something, even if it is just something minor such as phytochemicals. I don't mean to pick on you specifically and if you're seeing results than who am I to poopoo on your routine, but I'm just a bit concerned about this approach.

I was just about to say this. If you're eating the same things every day then you're pretty much guaranteed to be missing out on something that you should be getting, even if you think it's probably perfect from a health / macros standpoint.

Thanks for the detailed response, I'll look into it.

Also, monitor your blood pressure while using it and before using. If you already have high blood pressure it may be bad to use it as it seems to raise blood pressure in most people. Not a major risk, but serious enough that you shouldn't go into it without any knowledge of your current BP.

Bowser

Most days I'm like this, but some days I just get fed up and have to have something different. I keep it generally healthy, but usually has more leeway than my normal eats.

I'm thinking about giving the keto diet a try for a bit...what's a generally accepted timeframe for it to be effective? 4, 6, 8 weeks? Longer?

keezy

This was my entertainment at the gym the other day...

10455767_10204027522149206_2882901202170223893_n_zps4ce36826.jpg

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe he's trying to remove his arm

EDIT: New page new inspiration - it definitely helps me:

loimQdC.jpg

Leeness

Ah thanks dude!

Pastryyyyyyy. Omnom. But no. ;_;

For a sugar substitute, I use stevia. I really like it, normal sugar is kind of bleh to me now in tea. There's even a baking substitute of stevia. :eek:

Also, here: http://sallysbakingaddiction.com/2014/01/03/almond-butter-chocolate-chip-cookies/

Have some no flour cookies :)

Got my 50 minute strength work out in today. My arms and butt hurt ._.

Also:

Kitty...pls. I want my mat

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Planet Fitness would be so much better if they just changed all instances of "Lunk" to "Hunk"

because that's the goddamn truth

Jhriad

Also I should mention that the two Planet Fitness locations in my town are probably more crowded because it's a college town so they might not be this crowded elsewhere.

GrapeApes

What's fitness-Gaf's opinion on Planet Fitness?

If you only need to do cardio then it's fine. If you are trying to make any kind of gains then obviously avoid. I went to Planet Fitness once when I was looking for a gym. I decided to give every gym in my area a fair share. The only thing it had going for it was the price. In the tour, they didn't even show me the weight lifting area at all.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Cheap. Barely anyone knows what they're doing. Crowded as hell. If it's the only thing available it's better than nothing I guess.
Cheap my ass. The enrollment fee is 50 bones. After that it's only 10.. but that enrollment fee, ugh.

I checked the place out a few hours ago, mid afternoon, it wasn't as crowded as I thought it would be though. As a matter of fact it wasn't crowded at all.

The thing being open for 24 hours and only being a 10 minute drive from my house is what's really tempting though... but I want to know if this place is legit or not before I bite.

great place to eat
What joke am I missing here?

pizzabagel.png

lunk-alarm-640x250.jpg

Planet fitness is for people who want to feel like they're doing work in the gym but actually want to sit around and eat pizza and tootsie rolls all day.
Wait, what? they give out free pizza and shit?

Pete Rock

As Many Reps As Possible.
Legit lulz on this one, thanks brah.

Oh yes, do it!
Thanks for the motivation, finally decided that I've been alone long enough <3

Also that is pretty much goal... within couple of years I'll also be a rather loony hopefully smoking hot ginger (I am being overly optimistic, let me continue living in this bubble - I do like it) bothering everyone at the gym. :p
Nobody is going to pop that bubble, ok so maybe I will ~ but only by trying to jump inside ~ I believe in you! The important thing is being happy with yourself in the moment which will allow you to enjoy each step of the journey! :)

I have tried to make a point to compliment strangers when I am out by myself in public, not at the gym though because people feel "compromised" or whatever. Not really making small talk but if I see something I like I tell them.

The other day I was getting cat food and a woman was clearly incredibly proud of her two great danes which were absolutely stunning animals. So when I was leaving I saw her outside waiting for a ride or something and I said "your dogs are just beautiful!" and her whole face just lit up! It took absolutely zero effort on my part and the thought was already in my brain so why not let it out?

Even though I stated the woman at the gym "interrupted" me, that was the analytical side of things. Rest assured it made my day. Even if she was just saying "you look awesome" because she was being nice. Thanks, lady, even if you don't show up Wednesday! lol

Long story short, I am sure you are appreciated now and will be appreciated in the future!

Fucking shit, last time I squat on carpet... almost blew my knee out.
Please tell us you are alright MTP. Give us a signal, anything! Ahhh, he lives, excellent.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
If you only need to do cardio then it's fine. If you are trying to make any kind of gains then obviously avoid. I went to Planet Fitness once when I was looking for a gym. I decided to give every gym in my area a fair share. The only thing it had going for it was the price. In the tour, they didn't even show me the weight lifting area at all.
I'm just trying to get a little more muscle mass and more tone. On some Bruce Lee shit.

What's fitness-Gaf's opinion on Planet Fitness?

Planet Fitness is providing a facility for people to become healthier and fit, most of whom NEVER/RARELY workout, so no complaints.

Granted there are other gym that provide the same service for the same price with more amenities; I respect their and business strategy and marketing campaign or any business/campaign that is geared at people become healthier.

I don't go there though. "There's level to this shit" and Planet Fitness doesn't provide me with what I need.

Pete Rock

Kitty...pls. I want my mat
Apparently this is universal, cats just love to lay on your yoga mats all the time. As soon as I get up in the morning they leave the bed and sit right behind me on the mat. Yoga party!

I was just about to say this. If you're eating the same things every day then you're pretty much guaranteed to be missing out on something that you should be getting, even if you think it's probably perfect from a health / macros standpoint.
The only hard line diet people I know who eat the same things every day and are unhealthy would be vegans, and that is being highly selective for the sake of conversation. I would argue that everyone "eats the same things every day" to a certain extent, at least as far as the typical American diet and legitimate nutritional diversity is concerned.

Have you looked at Soylent? If I didn't already have a fantastic system down I would totally buy into it. The cost per week would be about the same for my meals and it would save me the 6 hours of grocery shopping and cooking. I wouldn't even have to pretend to chew anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom