• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

wastewater

Neo Member
Guys i've gained 7 pound in 16 days, is that much? (started at 2500cal and went up to 3000 a few days ago.) i've been doing this workout (I only have dumbbells for now). Is that a decent workout to start with?

Is the G.o.m.a.d diet harmful? I noticed in the OP it highly recommends not doing it but the info is still there, it looks really tempting to me being as underweight as i am.

Is there some catch i'm missing with Granola? One decent sized bowl with whole milk comes to almost 1000cal, i have one everyday, is it magic food?
plz say yes

Sorry for the bunch of questions and thanks for any and all help.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Guys i've gained 7 pound in 16 days, is that much? (started at 2500cal and went up to 3000 a few days ago.) i've been doing this workout (I only have dumbbells for now). Is that a decent workout to start with?

Is the G.o.m.a.d diet harmful? I noticed in the OP it highly recommends not doing it but the info is still there, it looks really tempting to me being as underweight as i am.

Is there some catch i'm missing with Granola? One decent sized bowl with whole milk comes to almost 1000cal, i have one everyday, is it magic food?
plz say yes

I don't think you should be looking into G.O.M.A.D. or any kind of bulking diet if all you have access to is dumbbells.

theytookourjobz

That few pounds made a huge difference matgui. Love handles are gone! Pretty big bench for a guy your size too.

Finally back lifting in the gym after taking a little bit of time off. Seemed to help. Hit a 50# deadlift PR, hit a PR clean and jerk, and a big PR clean at 286. 300 is coming soon and I'll definitely record for posterity.

Also anyone here try Nuts 'n More? It's fucking amazing almond/peanut butter loaded with protein and very little carbohydrate. It's my quest bar alternate snack.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

plz say yes

GOMAD is best seen as a nuclear option. If you're a skinny, virile high school kid with no money who needs to be strong in three months for sports, no matter the compromises involved, then you get on GOMAD, a cheap, balanced source of extreme calories, and do a progressive barbell routine 3x a week and you will blaze through your beginner gains and change your body composition fast. Then you join the varsity football team and run your ass off and trim down.

Definitely NOT recommended as a general purpose strategy. You will get fat. Most people are lifting for better aesthetics, not the above scenario. Also you need to be doing full body barbell movements -- squat, deadlift, and OHP -- to even come close to taking advantage of that insane amount of extra calories.

After losing 10-12 pounds over about 6 weeks on my first ever cut, I'm switching back to bulking today.

It's weird eating so much. I'm not used to feeling full, lol. I'm also going to start taking creatine now.

I didn't take my cut all the way down to 180 lbs like I originally planned, but I did learn a lot about controlling my diet, which will help me a lot going forward.

I also reviewed the OP a few more times and identified some tactics to use that I had missed the first go-around.

Ready to build some muscle!

Go_Ly_Dow

Putting a scoop of whey protein powder with my oatmeal...

1. Will it work?

2. Before or after I Microwave it?

....and it did!

added 2/3 of a scoop after microwaving it. mixed well. a bit sweet so will bring it down to half a scoop next time. nice though and not sickly.

Cudder

After losing 10-12 pounds over about 6 weeks on my first ever cut, I'm switching back to bulking today.

It's weird eating so much. I'm not used to feeling full, lol. I'm also going to start taking creatine now.

I didn't take my cut all the way down to 180 lbs like I originally planned, but I did learn a lot about controlling my diet, which will help me a lot going forward.

I also reviewed the OP a few more times and identified some tactics to use that I had missed the first go-around.

Ready to build some muscle!

are you just arbitrarily going through super quick cut/bulk cycles?

wastewater

Neo Member
GOMAD is best seen as a nuclear option. If you're a skinny, virile high school kid with no money who needs to be strong in three months for sports, no matter the compromises involved, then you get on GOMAD, a cheap, balanced source of extreme calories, and do a progressive barbell routine 3x a week and you will blaze through your beginner gains and change your body composition fast. Then you join the varsity football team and run your ass off and trim down.

Definitely NOT recommended as a general purpose strategy. You will get fat. Most people are lifting for better aesthetics, not the above scenario. Also you need to be doing full body barbell movements -- squat, deadlift, and OHP -- to even come close to taking advantage of that insane amount of extra calories.

Ok GOMAD is out. Thanks.

There's so much info out there. I'm just gonna ignore it, take it slow and ask you guys if i need anything :D

Go_Ly_Dow

Wtf I suggested putting whey in oats like 3 threads ago, get with the times. ;)

Also choco whey + cocoa powder + oats = yum.

can't handle all that choco son! just the choco caramel whey is enough haha.

and i never noticed that. and not sure why i didn't try it earlier. perfect combo.

Question. I'm a tiny girl looking to gain muscle, but not bulk/cut (so as little fat as possible).

Would adding an extra cup of whole milk at least four times a week make me fat? My BMR is around 1100 calories..

I'm not sure what you're asking here.

You have to incorporate a weight training or body-weight exercise routine to build muscle.
With that If you're look to "get bigger" you have to eat more calories than you burn.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Should have known I was pushing too hard. Tweaked my upper and lower back today. Upper on rows lower on deadlift. I sneezed yesterday and felt my entire back spasm and tighten up in a cramp. Thst should have been a sign.

Took this 2 reps before the tweak. I was on route to do 555lbs for 10 singles. Tweaked at 5. The shitty part is everything felt light today. Immediately ended deadlifts after that end went to hammer strength row machine them blamo, upper back went. Clearly my back needs a break.

http://youtu.be/F3-1wM-4s_M

Any suggestion for an alternative to blending oatmeal up to make oat flour? Looking to simplify that recipe just slightly since my blender sucks and I don't like cleaning it if I can help it. I figure I could probably buy oat flour or just put some other flour in instead.

I cooked this last night. For the oat flour, I ground up some quinoa flakes (gluten issues) with a mortar and pestle. Seemed to come out nice.

Great recipe.

Sadetar

'Bout one month into the EC stack, liking the progress I'm seeing. Still have belly fat to lose but I don't think that'll go down until I'm around 145ish.

This is a month and a half overall difference:

165lbs

Now (158lbs)
My oh my! Absolutely awesome work sweetie! I am really liking it. :p

APF

Question. I'm a tiny girl looking to gain muscle, but not bulk/cut (so as little fat as possible).

Would adding an extra cup of whole milk at least four times a week make me fat? My BMR is around 1100 calories..

I doubt you'd literally "get fat" from such a small addition. It'd be about 600 or so calories over the week's time (~150 calories / cup), so if you were worried you could either equal it out by reducing your caloric intake elsewhere (depending on how much leeway you really have within that BMR estimate), increasing your activity slightly, or just not caring (that's what I recommend :)

To a certain extent you'll always have to eat more calories than you expend to gain muscle, especially the further along you get in your training.

embarrassing emasculating question, but are they alternatives to chin-ups if you're too damn weak to reliably do a set of them yet?

Pulldowns and rows. There are also assisted pullup machines in some gyms that could be helpful (or you could use bands to give you an assist, or negatives, etc)

Gaining muscle still means gaining weight, so you need to eat more than you were eating previously to grow muscle. Adding a cup of milk every day to your original diet may be enough extra nutrition to build muscle, or it may be too little. It's probably a good starting point. It certainly won't be massive overkill if you're exercising regularly.

Also remember that your bmr isn't the number of calories you actually burn. If you're active enough, you might eat more than your bmr and still lose weight. Online bmr calculators usually have a thing to help you estimate your actual maintenance calories.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

No, that sounds fine. If you want to maintain your figure and just add some muscle slowly, then a small boost to calories (emphasis on protein) combined with weightlifting should keep you headed in the right direction until you get to intermediate-advanced levels. A cup of whole milk isn't a huge amount of calories. Similarly you could just drink a protein smoothie or eat a protein bar or whatever else after you work out. Anything along those lines.

Try that out. Everyone's a little different, so react to your results: if you're stalling out pretty quickly on your lifts and/or feel chronically low on energy, increase your calories a bit more. If your waist line increases and you don't want that, cut back down. The more data you keep track of (workout results, food intake, weight, waist line) the better you'll gain an understanding of what you need to do in the long run to get to where you want to be.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
Alright FIT-GAF, I need some help with my body build.

I'm 5'8 and weigh around 154 lbs (70 kg) I am not fat at all considering what others say, but I don't feel fit either. I have fat depositions that I would like to get rid of. I have love handles, and some fat on belly. My shoulders are a bit bulky as well. I am doing cardio exercises right now.

As for the diet, I eat only 3 times mostly. I am a vegetarian by the way.

Breakfast - fruit platter with oatmeals/what flakes etc
Lunch - Rice based dishes with boiled veggies mostly. Sometimes sandwiches as well.
Dinner - Semolina Pasta, baked beans, pulses etc

Any advice?

Do you guys prefer

1. Chest & Back | Biceps, Triceps & Shoulders
  2. Chest, Shoulders & Triceps | Back & Biceps
  3. Chest & Biceps | Back, Shoulders & Triceps

or something completely different?

Had a McDonalds today and thanks to work I didn't have time to exercise either.. :(

That reminds me, does anyone have a list of fast food to eat if you're crunched for time and didn't prepare any protein?

Ideally it would be none, but eating clean + whey gets expensive quickly.

Pizoxuat

Thank you! I'm really trying to not eat too many carbs, so I figured whole milk might be better than a protein shake/bar, but the comment about getting fat made me do a double-take.

I should keep a better journal tracking what I eat. My weight, waistline, and workout results have stalled pretty hard, though I think that has to do with me not pushing myself.

It sounds like you have a really good grasp of your goals, so I think food journalling would be the best solution for you re: whole milk vs low carb protein shake. With My Fitness Pal you can set your macro and calorie goals, put in a week's worth of food, then see what fits.

Cooper

I meant literal fat. The question I asked was based on the guy that said

<snip GOMAD information>

Thank you! I'm really trying to not eat too many carbs, so I figured whole milk might be better than a protein shake/bar, but the comment about getting fat made me do a double-take.

It's the sheer quantity (Gallon a Day) of GOMAD, much more so than the Milk itself that packs on the weight. You're talking about drinking 4 cups a week, or about a gallon of milk a month. The results won't be anywhere near the same.

Milk is a good source of all three macros, so if you have some room for extra food (and it sounds like you do) a cup every other day would certainly be fine.

Sadetar

That reminds me, does anyone have a list of fast food to eat if you're crunched for time and didn't prepare any protein?

I nowadays always carry around Quest protein bars. They have already saved me once at work. It was a horrid, horrid day. I survived solely because of the almighty coffee and heavenly Quest bar.

Also couple times before the Quests if I was in the city I could go and buy some quark. At least in here it is relatively cheap and very high in protein (250 grams of quark have around 25 grams of protein). My friend on the other hand loves Skyr so she usually gets that if we are shopping for a long time.

Even though I am fairly sure you meant some other sort of fast food... Kebab meat with a salad on the side perhaps?

Bowser

I live off Chipotle burrito bowls. Ask for minimal rice, then load up on beans, chicken, fajita peppers, pico, and guac (I also ask for guac on the side so they put it in the little cup).

If you have Chik-fil-a in your area, they have a pretty decent grilled chicken sandwich.

And you can definitely find some decent options at Taco Bell as well.

J. Bravo

Killer back workout today followed by some hiit on the Stairmaster. Pullups, deadlifts, seated rows, lat pulldowns, and biceps.

Only thing that's sort of ok from McDonalds is the chicken salad (190kcal, 27g Protein, 10g Carbs, 5g Fat). Buy two and you've probably got a reasonable meal. :)

APF

GOMAD = what, 32 cups a day at 150 calories a cup? 4800 / day extra, 33600 / week.

3500 is the rough estimate for a pound of fat, so... :)

Zoe

Well there is a huge difference between four glasses of milk a week and a Gallon Of Milk A Day...

i think i've got a shoulder impingement :( is there anything i should be doing other than resting?
i noticed it last week doing dips, and when i tried to do any pressing movements on friday, the pain was basically at a 7-8 out of 10. i don't plan on touching bench, ohp, LTEs (even these hurt like hell) for 1-2 weeks. i suppose this will give me a good opportunity to work on squat, deadlift, and generally most back exercises, but i am weary since the basic act of loading plates caused discomfort.

....and it did!

added 2/3 of a scoop after microwaving it. mixed well. a bit sweet so will bring it down to half a scoop next time. nice though and not sickly.

I make oatmeal about five times a week: 2 cup rolled oats, 1 cup milk, microwave for four minutes, add some cinnamon, and then add a scoop of plain whey protein powder. Works really well. I usually put some fruit yogurt or just plain fruit on top.

I love oatmeal so much. So good.

APF

Is GOMAD really an extra gallon on top of everything else? Wouldn't the person just be so full that *something* has to give?
Yeah it's actually pretty difficult to do for the target group (really skinny teenage boys who just don't eat anything--I used to be one, I was ~135/140 at 6'2 when I first started getting serious about weight training at 19), but the goal is to make it on top of what you're already eating. It's part for the calories, part for the making people used to eating a lot more than they think is possible.

Tabasco

I think I may be gaining weight.

I'm normally 140 pounds or below but I weighed myself just now and I'm exactly 147.

I would say it's definitely not a good time to be weighing myself, so depending on how much I weigh nowadays in the morning will determine if I'm actually gaining weight or not.

How many pounds is normally added from consumption of food?

ILoveBish

Fitgafs obsession with taco bell is amazing. I haven't ate there in years. If I absolutely need to eat out, I get mcdoubles with no bun or protein style from in and out.

Also when doing your macros, I like to do weekly averages. So let's say non gym days you eat 1500 kcals, gym days you eat 2000 kcals, and you hit the gym 4 days a week. That is 12500 kcals for the week. Divide by 7 days, that's 1785 kcals a day. Then if you know the amount of carbs and protein you need every day, you can calculate how much fat you need to eat to hit your macros. Carbs and protein are 4 cals per gram, fat is 9 cals per gram.

Getting diet down to something easy to understand is absolutely paramount for success.

Leeness

Bleh, belly not feeling great again today (what can I say, I get tummy problems a lot...) so I'm gonna relax, do some yoga and call it a night. Will go hard tomorrow morning (day off!).

Fitgafs obsession with taco bell is amazing. I haven't ate there in years. If I absolutely need to eat out, I get mcdoubles with no bun or protein style from in and out.

Also when doing your macros, I like to do weekly averages. So let's say non gym days you eat 1500 kcals, gym days you eat 2000 kcals, and you hit the gym 4 days a week. That is 12500 kcals for the week. Divide by 7 days, that's 1785 kcals a day. Then if you know the amount of carbs and protein you need every day, you can calculate how much fat you need to eat to hit your macros. Carbs and protein are 4 cals per gram, fat is 9 cals per gram.

Getting diet down to something easy to understand is absolutely paramount for success.

4 X 4 Protein style from In and Out is my go to meal

J. Bravo

I don't eat candy bars, haha. I don't have much of an appetite so I try to make it count.

I think whole milk is 150 calories per cup? Seems easy enough.

That's insane. It sounds difficult, and aren't teenage boys notorious for eating you out of house and home already?

i eat more now at 23 than i ever did as a teen. 6' 185, whereas i was 5'8"-6' and about 135 through high school lol.

Pete Rock

Well I'm going to buck the trend and say my gym day was fantastically strange, I got hit on by a woman! Usually it's dudes in the steam room ._.

Downsides being she interrupted me to ask 1) if I "did crossfit" 2) where I work out (this was truly fucking baffling, as I was standing on the deadlift platform in the weight room at the time) 3) if she could work out with me next time I'm here and what time that would be at???

wtf

I think the creepy awkward dudes are easier to deal with honestly, this was just like loony bin status. Which I will obviously have to pursue. For science. Because no matter what she said she was still a pretty smoking hot ginger ughhhhhh thank you UNIVERSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom