• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
If you want to get stronger and/or pack on muscle mass you will need to be eating more than you burn.

This is just like... demonstrably false, especially for a complete beginner. I imagine most people in this thread have, especially in the early stages, experienced simultaneous weight (and fat loss) while getting stronger and packing on muscle.

ILoveBish

This is just like... demonstrably false, especially for a complete beginner. I imagine most people in this thread have, especially in the early stages, experienced simultaneous weight (and fat loss) while getting stronger and packing on muscle.

There has to be a way to get noob gainz year round. Plz someone find a way.

There has to be a way to get noob gainz year round. Plz someone find a way.

riding-the-bicycle-train.jpg

Eos

I'm thinking about building my cardio and endurance quickly.

For you cardio monsters out there: What are your favorite HIIT workouts? I have access to a track. I thought about sprinting the straights and jogging the turns for a few sets. Sound effective?

Sounds good. What I did for increasing my stamina by going around around a track (1 lap each):
walk, jog, sprint, jog, walk

entremet

No better feeling when you start getting multiple comments on weight loss that's not from friends/family.

Helps you to keep pushing.

I remember your plateaus. What got you out of the hump?

I know doing refeeds helped me. I was totally ignoring that my metabolism just slowed down like crazy.

ILoveBish

Just cooked 8 days of chicken stir fry, 15 days of coconut cake, and made a peanut butter cheese cake. All low carb of course. About to pop a corned beef brisket in the oven. I love industrial cooking.

Sadface.png

I know doing refeeds helped me. I was totally ignoring that my metabolism just slowed down like crazy.

I've recognized that this can help from time to time. Another thing I've noticed is that the leaner you are, the quicker your body adapts to what you're doing. Body is so crazy complicated.

I don't post much, but I'm happy to report that my weight loss is still going steady. I've continued working with my dumbbells and doing varied stuff.

I was extremely anxious for some reason a few days ago and ended up eating a lot of stuff I shouldn't have. I wasn't happy with that, but I managed to offset it with a bit of calory math.

I'm currently at 96 kilos (211lbs). Lost 46 pounds so far.

SeanR1221

A few things helped.

Eating more, taking some time off from dieting, understanding meal timing better and cutting out the majority of cheat days.

Azulsky

Sorry to be a nuisance:

I'm still fat, but I guess I don't know where to go. I'm very frustrated with what I should focus on

You should be lifting now. No question. If you want to lose more weight then keep your calories tuned in for whatever -x lbs/month loss you want. You seem unhappy with your current level of body fat so keep losing until you are satisfied and then reassess your goals.

A few things helped.

Eating more, taking some time off from dieting, understanding meal timing better and cutting out the majority of cheat days.

What were your experiences with meal timing?

SeanR1221

What were your experiences with meal timing?

I try and keep my carbs centered around my workout. Pre, intra (gatorade) and post...along with post post if I workout earlier rather than later.

Honestly, the biggest change was probably the cheat meals. No sense in doing good all week and then having 2-3 giant meals on the weekend. Sometimes friday, saturday AND sunday.

Give me 6 more months :p

I also joined team marvel today. Rocked a Punisher shirt to the gym for deadlifts.

Punisher is GOAT, I don't care if he's not a "real" superhero

Havent posted in a while since GAF got blocked at work and logging in on neogaf.net doesn't work for some reason :( But hey, have some progress pics!

Not gonna lie, best part of being somewhat fit is pulling off shirtless cosplay. Here I am as Father from Fullmetal Alchemist (manga/brotherhood) and Titan Eren again at Otakon last weekend:

(I'm the one on the right)

I think I was about 156 that weekend. Wish I'd thought to like, do some pushups first. Time for a few months at maintenance/slow bulk until kid #2 comes along, then it's survival mode until the 4th trimester ends

looks good bro, must get lots of attention from the ladies at the cons

andycapps

I try and keep my carbs centered around my workout. Pre, intra (gatorade) and post...along with post post if I workout earlier rather than later.

Honestly, the biggest change was probably the cheat meals. No sense in doing good all week and then having 2-3 giant meals on the weekend. Sometimes friday, saturday AND sunday.
I'm trying to get out of the mindset of cheat meals As well and focus more on eating well about 90% of the time but then be able to fit food that's more enjoyable into my daily macros.

I found that cheat meals turned into cheat days which turned into cheat weekends followed by me gritting my teeth and vowing to be on point starting Monday. Rinse and repeat.

Today will be an exception.

SeanR1221

I'm trying to get out of the mindset of cheat meals As well and focus more on eating well about 90% of the time but then be able to fit food that's more enjoyable into my daily macros.

I found that cheat meals turned into cheat days which turned into cheat weekends followed by me gritting my teeth and vowing to be on point starting Monday. Rinse and repeat.

Yeah now I don't think about cheating unless it's a special occasion like a holiday/party/get together.

I think this is how I'm interpreting my cheat days (more like day actually, Saturdays I give myself more leeway in what i eat) I still hit my calories and macros, but I might eat things like red meat and pork on the weekend instead of the usual breakfast smoothie. I also might food that's fried a bit more often as well. It works mostly because I think I would go insane if I completely cut off red meat from my diet, a good steak is just too damn good to miss.

Bollocks. I'm down 3lbs from being ill and I'm still feeling too weak to do anything.

Just what I needed with less than a week to go from when I wanted to look my best.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Wait.. So I shouldn't be eating more during my noob gains phase? I started at about 165 and I'm 6'1 so I definitely felt like it was appropriate for me to gain at least a little weight over my first 6 or so months of lifting. I just started two weeks ago.

Oddly I never actually got a noob gains phase. Unless it happened back in my 20s, but I don't recall making particularly quick progress.

Wait.. So I shouldn't be eating more during my noob gains phase? I started at about 165 and I'm 6'1 so I definitely felt like it was appropriate for me to gain at least a little weight over my first 6 or so months of lifting. I just started two weeks ago.

No, definitely eat more. If you want muscles you're going to end up weighing somewhere around 190, probably more.

I'm 5'10 and I eat 2500 calories on lift days, 2100 calories on cardio days, and 2000 on off days. To lose weight.

Azulsky

You are doing fine.

For an example of a higher than average genetic potential at 6'1 my lifting buddy is 220lbs at 10%-12% bf

entremet

I find cheat days dangerous.

I only do cheat meals and I do one every 20 meals. I also don't go nuts with them. I still practice some portion control.

I also tend to time bigger cheats to weight loss, so last week I lost 4 pounds, which is a lot for me, so I went nuts for a day.

bchamba

Switched over to 5 3 1 while I'm focuisng on getting down to a much lower body fat percentage. Haven't done sets with more than 3 reps in forever so this first week of 5s was really brutal. Feels good to be able to get more hypertrophy in though.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
For me I try to start my cheat days in the evening. This way time limits how crazy I go. It is also absolutely crucial that it is only one evening and doesn't turn into multiple days. There is no amount of food I can eat in one evening that can't be totally fixed in 3 or 4 days of strict eating. If it carries over to 2 or 3 days it will take about 2 weeks to get back to where I was prior to the cheating.

At this point 1 cheat night every 6 or 7 days is a must for me. This is for physical reasons (refeed) and for my mental well being.

eosos

Banned
What's up fitness gaf? I've been lifting for like a year months now. Though I only started doing a proper routine in March or so and have seen great results. I go about 5/6 times a week and hit a different muscle group each time. Normally goes something like chest, shoulders, back, legs, arms, then work whatever group I feel like on the 6th day.

Anyways I kind of want to start doing a PPL routine and was wondering if any of you had suggestions for the best one. I was thinking of doing this (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=162836851) one.

entremet

What's up fitness gaf? I've been lifting for like a year months now. Though I only started doing a proper routine in March or so and have seen great results. I go about 5/6 times a week and hit a different muscle group each time. Normally goes something like chest, shoulders, back, legs, arms, then work whatever group I feel like on the 6th day.

Anyways I kind of want to start doing a PPL routine and was wondering if any of you had suggestions for the best one. I was thinking of doing this (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=162836851) one.

If you have the time and calories to do it, go for it. I'm assuming you're doing 3 days on 1 day off, repeat?

Not 3x per week only?

Because 3x per week on a PPL is too little volume honestly, especially if you want strong gains.

Why not?

Rice is good period. Unless you're doing keto or something similar. Just make you're eating it with protein--poultry, meat, seafood, etc.

What about ....ground beef? I feel that's an obvious no. But if I'm trying to get bigger, would it be a bad thing?

Im guessing pork and beef are things to avoid, while chicken and fish should be a focus for weightlifting. Or am I wrong? I notice steak is a popular choice.

Fou-Lu

I am really out of shape, but I can't afford to go to the gym right now and I have no equipment. I also can't run because of a bad knee which is really frustrating. I am hoping you guys can give me some ideas for what I should be doing. I kind of just started doing some things to see what felt right.

Currently I do the following in a work out day:

Stretches
60 Squats (Started at 20)
40 Push ups (Started at 10, haha)
60 Sit ups (Started at 20)
and a few planks as long as I can
Shadow boxing

Silent_Z

What about ....ground beef? I feel that's an obvious no. But if I'm trying to get bigger, would it be a bad thing?

Im guessing pork and beef are things to avoid, while chicken and fish should be a focus for weightlifting. Or am I wrong? I notice steak is a popular choice.

Nothing wrong with any of the above foods. Eat real food and the right amount for your goals and you'll do just fine. If you're trying to add mass you may find it necessary to enlist the aid of ice cream and/or pop tarts to get enough calories in to push things in the right direction.

GatorBait

Hey FitGAF, I did some searching around for a full-body dumbbell workout that I can do in the hotel gyms while traveling (equipment is mainly limited to dumbbells). I wanted to find something that I could do circuit-style with minimal rest between exercises. How does this look to you guys:

Squat - 2-4 Sets - 8-12 reps
Stiff Leg Deadlift - 2-4 Sets - 8-12 reps
Dumbbell Chest Press - 2-4 Sets - 8-12 reps
Dumbbell Flys - 2-4 Sets - 8-12 reps
Overhead Press - 2-4 Sets - 8-12 reps
Lateral Raise - 2-4 Sets - 8-12 reps
Bent-over Rows - 2-4 Sets - 8-12 reps
Biceps Curls 1-3 Sets - 8-12 reps
Lying Triceps Extensions - 1-3 Sets - 8-12 reps
Ab Crunches - 2-4 Sets - 8-12 reps

entremet

Beef is one of the most anabolic foods. If you have no problems with it, beef is fine.

Watch the fat content if you're cutting. Not because fat is bad but because of the higher calories.

I usually get 95 percent lean because I'm dieting now. If you eat full cuts, just remove the fat.

eosos

Banned
If you have the time and calories to do it, go for it. I'm assuming you're doing 3 days on 1 day off, repeat?

Not 3x per week only?

Because 3x per week on a PPL is too little volume honestly, especially if you want strong gains.

Yeah I would do it 3 days on 1 day off and repeat. Cool, I'll start it tomorrow and see how it goes.

eosos

Banned
I am really out of shape, but I can't afford to go to the gym right now and I have no equipment. I also can't run because of a bad knee which is really frustrating. I am hoping you guys can give me some ideas for what I should be doing. I kind of just started doing some things to see what felt right.

Currently I do the following in a work out day:

Stretches
60 Squats (Started at 20)
40 Push ups (Started at 10, haha)
60 Sit ups (Started at 20)
and a few planks as long as I can
Shadow boxing
Are you sure that you can't afford the gym? Its like $10 a month for a planet fitness. Pretty meh gym, but its better than nothing. You could just take money out of your food budget and put it towards the gym.

Edit: whoops double post

https://www.t-nation.com/training/traps-are-the-new-abs

good news for me cause trying to get abs succcckkkkkssss but I think I can step my trap game up

Abs are all the rage, but you don't even have to lift to get them. Impressive traps, however, can't be built without hard work.

Which is funny really... because I've always had traps, but only rarely do I have abs. I've never actively trained them either, though I do a lot of dumbbell stuff, which I guess has an effect by default.

ILoveBish

I finally went to the bathroom after 3 days. I should have weigh'd myself before and after for lulz.

And former fatty calves are not to be messed with.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
I read the whole traps article and no mention of Power Cleans?! I can see mine a lot more since starting them and only set my new PR of 5x3x150 today.

I was hoping for an anecdote on why traps are better than abs from Mr Toughpants or another traplord.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom