• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have been wanting to get a belt for Squats and Deadlifts. Does FitGAF have any brand recommendations?

I know Inzer is usually highly recommended but they are spotty on turnaround time. Also saw Elite FTS has a 20% off sale which kind of brought the idea back up in my head today.

Either Inzer or the 13mm p2 belt from eliteFTS. I have that one and its amazing. I don't think you can wrong either way.

andycapps

A rough breakdown of what I do, need advice:

5 x 120 = Chest Press machine
10 x ~60 = Bicep Curls (freemotion)
7 x ~60 = Tricep Extension (freemotion)
5 x ~60 = Rows (freemotion)
4 x ~70?= Pectoral Fy/the backwards one, which targets the entire/most of the back(I am physically too tired to complete these)
3 x 10 = Sit up crunches (on a machine)
5 x ~40= Shoulder Press machine
5 x ~70 = Calf Presses

Then there are these two other leg exercises I do that I don't remember. I usually also do some dumbbell curls, 5 x 15.

I do this every time I go, which is about 3x a day.

Some of the weights are off as I don't remember them, but I intend to get a more accurate description down next time.

Is this a good workout? I do whole body, I guess.

I've never approached the deadlifts/squats with the weights, as I'm too afraid to lol. Are they more beneficial than the freemotion/machines?

Also, regarding diet: I am also trying to lose weight. So I may be hurting myself by doing a half ass job. I eat less than I used to, but don't particularly have a totally clean diet. I drink milk with my cereal (Kellogs/LIFE), or have a coffee with milk and eggs.

I cut down a lot on my meals and have fruit snacks when I get hungry in between.

Wouldn't this be counter productive to me lifting weights? I want to lose the fat I have, but also am going to the gym to put on muscle. I usually run or do cardio every other day.

I am 5'7 1/2", 170 LBS

You're working out 3 times a day?? You should probably stop with that and do one of the beginner routines in the OP, start using an app like MyFitnessPal or My Macros+ to track your nutrients (I've used both but prefer My Macros), and post form check videos if you need help here. Your routine seems really haphazard, workouts are too often, and your legs aren't being worked out at all aside from some calf raises.

Yes, compound movements like squats and deadlifts are going to be more beneficial than leg presses or some such. There's a time and place for isolation exercises with machines, but you're not at that point if you're not doing squats or deadlifts at all. Starting Strength is a good place to start.

Also, you can't say your workout is whole body if you're not working out your hamstrings and quads.

entrement said:
Lost 4 pounds this week lol.

2 lbs were probably just pure water from this damn heat.

I lost 2 and am pretty happy with that. Anymore and I might start getting saggy skin. Might get it anyway.

ILoveBish

Horrible sleep, severe lack of water and people still making me eat more all week. Up another 1.6lbs overnight. Thing is, I don't feel bad about it. I know it's from sleep and water. So I'm not concerned. When I get all cleaned up and back to the grind, I'll be making progress easily once more for sure.

I will be in Reseda, CA from Aug 28-31. If any of you guys are near the area, let's kick it!

Fitgaf so cal Korean BBQ meat up? I might be able to go.....

despire

You're working out 3 times a day?? You should probably stop with that and do one of the beginner routines in the OP, start using an app like MyFitnessPal or My Macros+ to track your nutrients (I've used both but prefer My Macros), and post form check videos if you need help here. Your routine seems really haphazard, workouts are too often, and your legs aren't being worked out at all aside from some calf raises.

Yes, compound movements like squats and deadlifts are going to be more beneficial than leg presses or some such. There's a time and place for isolation exercises with machines, but you're not at that point if you're not doing squats or deadlifts at all. Starting Strength is a good place to start.

Also, you can't say your workout is whole body if you're not working out your hamstrings and quads.

This pretty much.

Azulsky

Six weeks was plenty worth the wait for my red 10mm single buckle medium Inzer belt. When we're talking about a lifetime of use what's a couple months?

I figure that if I order it at this time of year at least it will be not holiday season so it shouldn't be too bad anyway.

Can you explain the adjustment range, they look like they have 9 or so holes at 1" spacing but the sizing is only in 3" differences. I have a 37" waistline so seems like getting a Large which maxes out at 38 would cover me pretty well considering you wear it higher than your pants.

Still need to decide between lever or single buckle.

J. Bravo

kind of a neat picture my brother took the other day doing my best lebron impression.

URIigaf.jpg

really shows how much cardio i need to do
scust.png

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I figure that if I order it at this time of year at least it will be not holiday season so it shouldn't be too bad anyway.

Can you explain the adjustment range, they look like they have 9 or so holes at 1" spacing but the sizing is only in 3" differences. I have a 37" waistline so seems like getting a Large which maxes out at 38 would cover me pretty well considering you wear it higher than your pants.

Still need to decide between lever or single buckle.
I'm a 32 waist and use the 3rd hole in. I think a large would be plenty for you. You explained the spacing perfectly. Standard inch or so gaps between the holes.

If you get a color besides black just plan on 6 weeks.

Bowser

I'm a 32 waist and use the 3rd hole in. I think a large would be plenty for you. You explained the spacing perfectly. Standard inch or so gaps between the holes.

If you get a color besides black just plan on 6 weeks.

I saw on reddit that people have been getting quoted longer than 6 weeks for colored belts...sounds like they're pretty backlogged. Guys posted they were quoted 8 weeks and some were at 10-11 weeks and still hadn't received their belts. That was earlier this year though (around April-ish).

Cooter

I saw on reddit that people have been getting quoted longer than 6 weeks for colored belts...sounds like they're pretty backlogged. Guys posted they were quoted 8 weeks and some were at 10-11 weeks and still hadn't received their belts. That was earlier this year though (around April-ish).
Jesus! I mean, good for them because they have a great product but they really need to solve their production issues.

Also, you can't say your workout is whole body if you're not working out your hamstrings and quads..

Sorry, three times a week. I do hamstrings and quads. Those are the other leg exercises I mentioned. Hm, so I should start deadlifts and barbell squats?

I'm not really sure how to approach those.

Nelo Ice

Banned
So guess my squat is weaker than I thought. This week has essentially been form check week since I've been going to the gym with a friend. Looks like I was doing half squats or I stopped right before parallel. Gotta train myself to keep squatting rather than stopping when I reach that point where I feel like I'm not coming back up :(.

Mr. X

Sorry, three times a week. I do hamstrings and quads. Those are the other leg exercises I mentioned. Hm, so I should start deadlifts and barbell squats?

Focus on form first. Do it without weights on the bar if needed.

Cooter

Absolutely you should start squatting and deadlifting! Like yesterday.

YouTube is your friend. Take video and post it here so we can help too.

andycapps

I have a hard time believing any fitness personality or those that make money from it are completely natural.

He's pretty adamant about it and is tested regularly and randomly, but I hear what you're saying. I think most are for sure.

I really think you should do one of the plans in the OP, but the way you can learn how to is to start light, watch instructional videos that should be in OP, and ask for form critiques here of your lifts.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Yep skipped my last 5/3/1 set and went into volume lifts. Definetely feel the difference. Gonna go readjust my squat weight for next week now.

Thanks for the advice. I wish I had a gym friend lol

Im going to start deadlifts and squats with dumb bells right now in my home

A little nervous to do barbells at the gym atm

So I watched this one vid and from what I gather:

-sit like you're sitting in a chair
- legs shoulder width apart
-knees dont extend past toes
- chest up
-back straight?
-push down on heels and push back up on heels?

Ill check out these intro vids in OP. Thanks

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
He's pretty adamant about it and is tested regularly and randomly, but I hear what you're saying. I think most are for sure.

I really think you should do one of the plans in the OP, but the way you can learn how to is to start light, watch instructional videos that should be in OP, and ask for form critiques here of your lifts.

Even if he's tested now, what is he tested for? What has he done previously? Has he been clean his whole life? What does he consider natural? Does it include prohormones? Who tests him? Etc. tests mean jack shit unless the person is literally caught off guard.

And again, if you make money as a fitness personality/athlete you're automatically suspect.

Azulsky

So guess my squat is weaker than I thought. This week has essentially been form check week since I've been going to the gym with a friend. Looks like I was doing half squats or I stopped right before parallel. Gotta train myself to keep squatting rather than stopping when I reach that point where I feel like I'm not coming back up :(.

Its good to have someone check you on a warmup set. I feel like i need to re-ingrain the feeling of being at proper depth with my warmups before i do working sets.

Squatting mentally for me is like compressing a spring(my body) and letting it rebound once you get to the bottom. Doing the lower weight explosive sets really helped me with that and it has transferred over to my heavy day working sets really well. I guess in terms of performing it it translates into having a steady descent speed right to parallel/atg instead of bouncing around trying to find it.

Box squats are good for form correction too provided you find one at the right height.

Hm. So from OP I should try to bulk up, and then lose weight?

I have some stomach fat. But urning calories sounds contradictory to taking more calories to bulk up

Can I continue to eat less and take less calories and do all this lifting? And will that result in a leaner body?

Sorry for being so dumb, I just want to make sure August is a good month

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Layne Norton is tops in natty at sub 220#'s and his was 700, correct?

Jesse Norris is the top "natty" in the world.
He totaled 2100+ raw at 198 with a 825lbs deadlift and 750 squat. Layne holds a WR squat and 1700+ total IIRC..

Ask yourself if these guys are natural. Norris is breaking world records that almost rival those of 220-242 Dan Green. Or it's ALL hard work, genetics, and diet...!

Azulsky

Hm. So from OP I should try to bulk up, and then lose weight?

I have some stomach fat. But urning calories sounds contradictory to taking more calories to bulk up

Can I continue to eat less and take less calories and do all this lifting? And will that result in a leaner body?

Sorry for being so dumb, I just want to make sure August is a good month

You really can only do 1 thing at a time with maximum effect(lose weight or add muscle), its the specificity principle. If you want to get stronger and/or pack on muscle mass you will need to be eating more than you burn.

There are no real rules about starting at a particular bf% before bulking it is up to you how you feel about your appearance.

From my own experience if you are marginally hypercaloric, like 200-300 calories a day you get a decent leaning out effect in the beginning because your body is pretty willing to put muscle on during the first several months.

You get diminishing returns on progress and you get less efficient weight gain(aka fatter) as you get more hypercaloric.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Bollocks. I have the flu. Should have known something was different yesterday when I was all pumped up.

Me too. That shit sucks. I get sick way too often after ramping up my workout schedule from almost nothing to regular workouts. That's what's always throwing me back. I always catch something at the gym. My nutrition is pretty good, so that can't be the issue.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Its good to have someone check you on a warmup set. I feel like i need to re-ingrain the feeling of being at proper depth with my warmups before i do working sets.

Squatting mentally for me is like compressing a spring(my body) and letting it rebound once you get to the bottom. Doing the lower weight explosive sets really helped me with that and it has transferred over to my heavy day working sets really well. I guess in terms of performing it it translates into having a steady descent speed right to parallel/atg instead of bouncing around trying to find it.

Box squats are good for form correction too provided you find one at the right height.
Yeah it was nice having a friend tape me and watch me to keep my honest. And thx for the tips. I def noticed a difference with my lower weight volume sets and checking if I could even squat a plate correctly.

Gonna go reinforce that depth next week and lower my supposed 1RM by 20 lbs. So I'm weaker than I thought but I hope I'm stronger than I think if that makes any sense.

You really can only do 1 thing at a time with maximum effect(lose weight or add muscle), its the specificity principle. If you want to get stronger and/or pack on muscle mass you will need to be eating more than you burn.

There are no real rules about starting at a particular bf% before bulking it is up to you how you feel about your appearance.

From my own experience if you are marginally hypercaloric, like 200-300 calories a day you get a decent leaning out effect in the beginning because your body is pretty willing to put muscle on during the first several months.

You get diminishing returns on progress and you get less efficient weight gain(aka fatter) as you get more hypercaloric.

I have a gym membership and feel like I should be taking advantage of it, so I want to lift weights

I figure I can burn off the fat at the end of the year by focusing more on cardio before renewing my membership for 2016

...so Id like to focus on the weights if that's alright. I guess I should be eating more now.

andycapps

Even if he's tested now, what is he tested for? What has he done previously? Has he been clean his whole life? What does he consider natural? Does it include prohormones? Who tests him? Etc. tests mean jack shit unless the person is literally caught off guard.

And again, if you make money as a fitness personality/athlete you're automatically suspect.
No clue, but I'd love to be at the point someday where people say "oh he must have great genes" even though they're far from great, or "he can't be natty with those numbers."
Jesse Norris is the top "natty" in the world.
He totaled 2100+ raw at 198 with a 825lbs deadlift and 750 squat. Layne holds a WR squat and 1700+ total IIRC..

Ask yourself if these guys are natural. Norris is breaking world records that almost rival those of 220-242 Dan Green. Or it's ALL hard work, genetics, and diet...!
Who knows, man. As we all know, even on gear it still takes a lot of work to get those kinds of numbers. Not for using, personally, and I think there are definitely some that claim to be natty and aren't. Doesn't really affect me.

SeanR1221

No better feeling when you start getting multiple comments on weight loss that's not from friends/family.

Helps you to keep pushing.

Sorry to be a nuisance:

body-fat-percentage-picture-men-women.jpg

I am in between 20%-25% based on this image.

Would it be better for me to keep losing body fat by running and diet before starting to bulk up and do weightlifting (deadlifts, squats, gym routine)?

Or can I start the deadlifting and squats and gym routine, eat more, and do some cardio on off days? (3x a week full body workout, cardio 3 other days).

I'm still fat, but I guess I don't know where to go. I'm very frustrated with what I should focus on

You're not keeping your core tight. Your spine should not be wobbling around at all. Lower the weight and focus the drive up in the hips. The bar is probably coming ahead of the middle of your foot also, make sure you keep the weight evenly balanced over your foot, you'll feel yourself pushing more against the balls of your feet if you don't. Really feel the push in your heel and midfoot.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll try that when I squat tomorrow and report back.

Sorry to be a nuisance:

body-fat-percentage-picture-men-women.jpg

I am in between 20%-25% based on this image.

Would it be better for me to keep losing body fat by running and diet before starting to bulk up and do weightlifting (deadlifts, squats, gym routine)?

Or can I start the deadlifting and squats and gym routine, eat more, and do some cardio on off days? (3x a week full body workout, cardio 3 other days).

I'm still fat, but I guess I don't know where to go. I'm very frustrated with what I should focus on
Yes, getting your noob gains will help you lose weight, as supporting that extra muscle will raise your base metabolic rate and the workout itself will also burn up calories. If you're going to exercise six days a week you can lose weight by eating about 500 calories less on your off days than you do on your workout days and you will still build muscle as long as you get a good 500-600 calories from proteins. You can eat a few hundred less on your cardio days, too. Depends on how much cardio you do.

These aren't exact numbers, mind you, it depends on your gender and height, just in general you eat a little more on days you exercise, get your protein, and your legs and upper body will grow while your middle shrinks.

Yes, getting your noob gains will help you lose weight, as supporting that extra muscle will raise your base metabolic rate and the workout itself will also burn up calories. If you're going to exercise six days a week you can lose weight by eating about 500 calories less on your off days than you do on your workout days and you will still build muscle as long as you get a good 500-600 calories from proteins. You can eat a few hundred less on your cardio days, too. Depends on how much cardio you do.

These aren't exact numbers, mind you, it depends on your gender and height, just in general you eat a little more on days you exercise, get your protein, and your legs and upper body will grow while your middle shrinks.

Thank you! :)

Im 5'7" and 170 lbs male. 24.

Alright so Ill just eat more on workout days.

Havent posted in a while since GAF got blocked at work and logging in on neogaf.net doesn't work for some reason :( But hey, have some progress pics!

Not gonna lie, best part of being somewhat fit is pulling off shirtless cosplay. Here I am as Father from Fullmetal Alchemist (manga/brotherhood) and Titan Eren again at Otakon last weekend:

(I'm the one on the right)

I think I was about 156 that weekend. Wish I'd thought to like, do some pushups first. Time for a few months at maintenance/slow bulk until kid #2 comes along, then it's survival mode until the 4th trimester ends

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
No clue, but I'd love to be at the point someday where people say "oh he must have great genes" even though they're far from great, or "he can't be natty with those numbers."

Who knows, man. As we all know, even on gear it still takes a lot of work to get those kinds of numbers. Not for using, personally, and I think there are definitely some that claim to be natty and aren't. Doesn't really affect me.

It doesn't take much or big numbers at all for the general public to assume steroids.

Also, it takes a lot of work period to get big numbers. Steroids just allow you to get it much faster and surpass what you would be able to do naturally.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Your squats look good to me brother. I squat high bar olympic style so I don't really focus on sitting "back" very much but I just think about breaking at the hip first and then sitting down like you said. And as long as my heels stay on the ground and my knees are out over my toes, I feel balanced and strong.

Sweet, thanks for taking the time to reply!

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I'm thinking about building my cardio and endurance quickly.

For you cardio monsters out there: What are your favorite HIIT workouts? I have access to a track. I thought about sprinting the straights and jogging the turns for a few sets. Sound effective?

I'm thinking about building my cardio and endurance quickly.

For you cardio monsters out there: What are your favorite HIIT workouts? I have access to a track. I thought about sprinting the straights and jogging the turns for a few sets. Sound effective?

That's an excellent one.
If you have access to a school run the bleacher. Nothing wrecks me quite like that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom