• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Wearing this for Deadlifts today:

DeadpullTee_6ee1b52a-e34f-4563-b6ad-e91fd7c654c0_large.jpg

Damn that's an amazing shirt. Now I know what tank I want to buy next haha.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
is it acceptable to wear short shorts to the gym to show off dem quads? I feel like thats the only way I'll ever show off I actually do leg exercises
I can so relate to this. Ha

Someone told me I had chicken legs at work the other day. My first instinct was to yell, there's more to a leg than a calve and strip down to my underwear. My ass, hips, and upper legs have mass but you have a hard time seeing it with the baggy shorts I wear.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
is it acceptable to wear short shorts to the gym to show off dem quads? I feel like thats the only way I'll ever show off I actually do leg exercises

I feel awkward wearing shorts that don't go right to my knees. My quads are a decent size 28"+ at 5'9" 205lbs and my ass is MASSIVE but I still feel inadequate like I'm too small to show off my legs.

ILoveBish

Im in the market for even shorter rugby shorts for the gym. Mine are ripped and way too large now. I just want short shorts that have pockets for my phone, rugby shorts work but i hate ordering clothes online. Very hard to find something locally, its all basketball shorts.

Cooter

I just put together a solid plan in my head for Tuesday.

-Max DL after work. Gotta a number I'm shooting for. Don't want to jinx it by tellig you guys. ;)

-Straight to the pizza parlor to pick up 2 larges.

-Stop by the grocery store on the way home for ice cream.

-Watch 12 Monkeys with my two oldest kids who haven't seen it while pigging out.

-Pass out on the couch somewhere around 11

so i done the starter strength routine for the 2nd day and i just dont feel worked enough. im liking the full body routine though, fuck isolation exercises for now. feels good to be back in the gym
Any chest experters in here? Working on add mass while trying to get my lower outer chest rounder :|
decline bench press really works the lower chest, make sure u bring the bar to the bottom half of the chest. im no expert though

Navi

Some guys said its possible to add 2inch to chest in as little as 6wks. Any intakes on this?

so i done the starter strength routine for the 2nd day and i just dont feel worked enough. im liking the full body routine though, fuck isolation exercises for now. feels good to be back in the gym

decline bench press really works the lower chest, make sure u bring the bar to the bottom half of the chest. im no expert though

Will do! Thanks

Cooter

Some guys said its possible to add 2inch to chest in as little as 6wks. Any intakes on this?
Sure. Eat 6,000 a day and in 42 days you may have added 2 inches to your chest.

Shit takes years so every time you hear "grow x, y,or z in 6 weeks" just assume it's bullshit.

Just tried myfitnesspal for recording food for the first time. I've added five items, and every one of those five items so far has different numbers from the packaging.

Not impressed.

ILoveBish

Just tried myfitnesspal for recording food for the first time. I've added five items, and every one of those five items so far has different numbers from the packaging.

Not impressed.

Its pretty US centric. User submitted stuff from all over the world is hit or miss. That said i just add my own stuff manually to the database since, as said many times, i eat the same thing everyday, so its not much to do.

entremet

Not impressed.

MyFitnessPal didn't click for me until I started weighing stuff with a scale.

I then adjust the entry based on the weight. It's super accurate that way.

That said, I avoid a lot of packaged foods.

Also, volume measurements are notoriously inaccurate. Volume in terms of measuring stuff in cups/liters--outside of liquids, of course.

Its pretty US centric. User submitted stuff from all over the world is hit or miss. That said i just add my own stuff manually to the database since, as said many times, i eat the same thing everyday, so its not much to do.

Yeah, I could see that happening, but this is literally own brand stuff from British supermarkets. It's like people put in the numbers they wanted rather than the real ones.

I could edit everything, but it's getting to the point that it wouldn't be a time saver.

MyFitnessPal didn't click for me until I started weighing stuff with a scale.

No, I mean literally the wrong numbers. Like, packet in front of me is 150kcal per portion, MFP has 105kcal. Lots are missing the salt etc numbers too. I usually do everything manually, but I figured this would probably be easier as I really can't be arsed keeping manual track of my salt intake etc. Thing is, it's so inaccurate that I might as well just make the numbers up.

Nothing wrong with any of the above foods. Eat real food and the right amount for your goals and you'll do just fine. If you're trying to add mass you may find it necessary to enlist the aid of ice cream and/or pop tarts to get enough calories in to push things in the right direction.

Im guessing youre serious? Ice cream?

Im..Trying to do both...

I am 5'7", 165-170 lbs, size 32 waist

I just have some stomach fat I want gone.

Is it really a good idea to eat ice cream?

From what one poster said, it seems I should eat a lot of calories the days I lift, and eat less the days I do cardio or dont lift.

Will this result in getting more muscular, yet burn my stomach fat?

Looking at nutritional stuff, should I not be avoiding sugars and trans fat, and looking for more caloric foods during my lifting days?

Also, is doing deadlifts/squats with dumb bells sufficient? I am using 20 lbs weights at home

entremet

Yeah, I could see that happening, but this is literally own brand stuff from British supermarkets. It's like people put in the numbers they wanted rather than the real ones.

I could edit everything, but it's getting to the point that it wouldn't be a time saver.

No, I mean literally the wrong numbers. Like, packet in front of me is 150kcal per portion, MFP has 105kcal. Lots are missing the salt etc numbers too. I usually do everything manually, but I figured this would probably be easier as I really can't be arsed keeping manual track of my salt intake etc. Thing is, it's so inaccurate that I might as well just make the numbers up.

Do you have high blood pressure? Why are you tracking salt? Just drink more water and up your potassium intake. The latter is easy with fruits and veggies.

But I would agree with you. That's the blessing and curse of a user submitted database.

I'm tracking salt because I'm tapering salt based on a suggestion from another gaffer on how to look my best for an event next weekend. Wouldn't normally, but it's worth a go.

Cooter

I think there might be something to this refeed carb cycling stuff. Every fourth day the last 2 weeks I had an ice cream night and brought my daily calories up to the 6000 range. I then follow it up with 3 days of 1800 and sub 75 carbs. By the 3rd day after the carb up I'm back to my original weight and noticeably more vascular. Hmm...

entremet

I think there might be something to this refeed carb cycling stuff. Every fourth day the last 2 weeks I had an ice cream night and brought my daily calories up to the 6000 range. I then follow it up with 3 days of 1800 and sub 75 carbs. By the 3rd day after the carb up I'm back to my original weight and noticeably more vascular. Hmm...

Dr. Mauro Di Pasquale, author of The Anabolic Diet, observed similar results:

http://stronglifts.com/anabolic-diet-101-the-definite-anabolic-diet-guide/

Apparently cycling carbs with your other macros, combined with weight training, does wonders for body composition.

It'll help, but without the assistance of drugs, burning fat whilst gaining muscle is extremely difficult.

So I should do one or the other eh? Losing the last few pounds is going to be so tough

I used to be 200 lbs at my max. Im 165ish now from a lot of running.

Im going to have to be real strict with a diet if I want to get skinnier...but Ill also have to suspend lifting until then...right?

Im so frustrated with what to do :(

Fitness-GAF I need some tips if y'all don't mind.

• Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: 225
  • Goal: Weight loss
  • Current Training Schedule: Monday and Friday
  • Current Training Equipment Available: Gym
I've been going to the gym twice a week the past few months as that's the only times my work schedule allows. I've also spent about 2 months with a trainer and he's been fantastic with everything, from getting my form right and coming up with a meal plan and stuff to fully kickstart my weight loss.

I eat more meals, but technically end up eating less, I'm sure y'all know how this works better than me lol. I've been avoiding sodas and as much sugar as I can, but I've got a Starbucks in my building that's literally 50 steps away and those fraps are hard to resist. Hell I've actually ate vegetables when I barely ate vegetables the last 20 years lol.

Right when I started I was 238 but as of yesterday I went down to 225... my shirts have become looser and my stamina has skyrocketed. I couldn't even sprint 30 yards before without dying of exhaustion, but now I feel like I can run the entire world(I haven't tried yet though lol).

So I know this shit is magical and it fncking works. I'm glad it does coz I don't think I've felt this good in my entire life. But alas, trainers are too fncking expensive so my sessions with him have run out and now I actually have to figure out what the hell I'm supposed to do at the gym instead of him just telling me what to do. Plus, I train by myself so I'm more weary of doing free weights now that I've got no spotter.

I've looked at the guide at the OP and I think that's good but I think I need something more specific. Like for example, this is what I did yesterday:

• Treadmill: 1 mile/20 mins (as a warmup)
  • Lat Pulldowns: 4x15-55
  • Mid rows: 4x15-55
  • Chest press: 4x15-55
  • Smith machine squats: 3x15-65
Lats, rows and the press were "pyramid" as my trainer calls them, went 55 >65>75>55. I'd pyramid the squats too but my hamstrings were killing me by the 2nd set so I stayed consistent instead lol.

So tl;dr I guess you could say I'm looking for a guide on what to do when I'm at the gym instead of looking like a headless chicken walking around and deciding on the spot on what to do lol. I know there isn't a tried and true guide for this but I'm wanting to hear y'all's thoughts as I'll plan it out so I won't look lost again lol.

Thanks!

entremet

So I should do one or the other eh? Losing the last few pounds is going to be so tough

I used to be 200 lbs at my max. Im 165ish now from a lot of running.

Im going to have to be real strict with a diet if I want to get skinnier...but Ill also have to suspend lifting until then...right?

Im so frustrated with what to do :(

Congrats on your 40 plus pound weight loss.

That's great!

Remember, progress over perfection. You can still get benefits from weight training while running.

If you want to do weights and run. Do weights and run. It's doable. I do it and others here do to.

But if you want to build serious mass, you'll need to consume a calorie surplus. There's no objection there.

Weight training will help you with your body composition--looking good naked--outside of mass building.

Additionally, you get better hormonal response from training when you're lean for mass building.

So, my prescription, would be to weight train and continue to run if that's your thing. I'd increase your protein intake and you'll hit your goals in time with consistency.

Congrats on your 40 plus pound weight loss.

That's great!

Remember, progress over perfection. You can still get benefits from weight training while running.

If you want to do weights and run. Do weights and run. It's doable. I do it and others here do to.

But if you want to build serious mass, you'll need to consume a calorie surplus. There's no objection there.

Weight training will help you with your body composition--looking good naked--outside of mass building.

Additionally, you get better hormonal response from training when you're lean for mass building.

So, my prescription, would be to weight train and continue to run if that's your thing. I'd increase your protein intake and you'll hit your goals in time with consistency.

Thanks! I dont necessarily want to be super massive just yet.

I want to look..good I guess. I want a good bod. Veiny arms. Good shoulders and triceps. Abs are hard work but Id like to attempt it

If I eat fewer calories to lose weight, run, and still do lifting (deadlifts, squats, use machines for my shoulders, arms, legs), what can i expect the result to be?

I know a lot of you guys are huge, Id like to be big too, but Im not sure if I should do that if my stomach fat still exists.

Shouldnt I only start bulking when I have like 15% body fat?

Wont it be hard to lose stomach fat after I bulk?

Edit: didn't see the last few lines.

Thanks for the direction! Ill run, weight train...take in more protein through shakes and food I guess... and take in less calories to accommodate the fat loss...and then when I feel like my stomach is smaller (its really just the side skin I have left) Ill start bulking?

J. Bravo

Killer squat workout before moving onto next cycle. 135x10, 185x10, 225x5, 275x5, 315x5. Then back down, but 5, 8, 12, 15, 275, 225, 185, 135. Dead.

entremet

Thanks! I dont necessarily want to be super massive just yet.

I want to look..good I guess. I want a good bod. Veiny arms. Good shoulders and triceps. Abs are hard work but Id like to attempt it

If I eat fewer calories to lose weight, run, and still do lifting (deadlifts, squats, use machines for my shoulders, arms, legs), what can i expect the result to be?

I know a lot of you guys are huge, Id like to be big too, but Im not sure if I should do that if my stomach fat still exists.

Shouldnt I only start bulking when I have like 15% body fat?

Wont it be hard to lose stomach fat after I bulk?

It depends, I bulked for year and got huge. But I don't worry about getting chubby on a bulk. I'm a natural trainee, so I can't avoid it.

I'm dieting now so I'm down 30 lbs.

But you can lift weights and improve your body composition now. Don't worry about bulking if you don't want to.

You'll have some small gains since you're a beginner.

It depends, I bulked for year and got huge. But I don't worry about getting chubby on a bulk. I'm a natural trainee, so I can't avoid it.

I'm dieting now so I'm down 30 lbs.

But you can lift weights and improve your body composition now. Don't worry about bulking if you don't want to.

You'll have some small gains since you're a beginner.

Thank you. Ill have protein shakes to make up for the weight lifting but keep calories down to lose fat... Hopefully this month is good.

I start working september. It's a career start. I have the whole summer off. My worry is that This is my last chance to do well with fitness before work makes things harder.

I feel like crap for not realizing deadlifts and squats are important until yesterday lol. Ive been doing just stuff on machines at the gym.

Worse yet, I got a membership in December but was too nervous to go until around March.

These last 2 months have been most consistent. I feel like there are changes. I feel them. But I need to take it up a whole lot more for the last month.

Thanks guys!

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Woo! After an entire fucking WEEK I've finally been able to have a proper meal. Since I got my surgery last Friday, this has literally been all I had to eat:

- 4 eggs
- 3 packets of ramen noodles
- 3 cups of milk (with protein powder)
- Less than a 64 oz. bottle of apple juice

Seriously, shit was pretty fucking bad. I lost 8 lbs.

Fortunately though it seems I can (slowly at least) get back to the past of normalcy.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Sick. Looks like an amazing full body workout

Gonna be honest. Only really felt it in my hamstrings doing it, but now whole posterior chain hurts. Not sure if just prowler, deadlift the other day, or both.

Oddly, pushing it works back more and dragging it while facing works the shit out of your quads.

ILoveBish

I've discovered about 3 new veins popping out the past week, thought i was seeing things. Also feel pregnant from having the peanut butter cheese cake, dairy kills me, but i wanted to get some cheese cake in this weekend anyway.

Had a great night sleep finally, tons of water and still just doing whatever atm. I'm feeling like tomorrow or monday i'll be back on track with the 23/1 fasting and 1750 calorie cutting. But i'm not really 100% sure. I really need to plan a proper mixed fasting schedule... Really excited for the next 72 hour fast.

SeanR1221

Wife and I went to this all you can eat sushi place where you place your order, and you can order as many rounds as you want, but if anything is left over you pay a fee.

After 3 spicy tuna rolls, 6 pieces of tuna sashimi, 6 pieces of squid sushi, a dragon roll and I split 5 other rolls with my wife I weighed in exactly the same amount I weighed yesterday. Lol weight you so crazy.

I will say I got bloated as fuck. I'm not used to eating like that anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom