• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Down to my lowest (recorded) weight ever, but my abs seem to have disappeared. Not looking particularly muscly either. My lifts are hanging on, but I can't help feeling than I've lost a chunk of muscle.

BumRush

Wife and I went to this all you can eat sushi place where you place your order, and you can order as many rounds as you want, but if anything is left over you pay a fee.

After 3 spicy tuna rolls, 6 pieces of tuna sashimi, 6 pieces of squid sushi, a dragon roll and I split 5 other rolls with my wife I weighed in exactly the same amount I weighed yesterday. Lol weight you so crazy.

I will say I got bloated as fuck. I'm not used to eating like that anymore.

Good 'all you can eat sushi' is a luxury you can't turn down though.

sphinx

the piano man
Down to my lowest (recorded) weight ever, but my abs seem to have disappeared. Not looking particularly muscly either. My lifts are hanging on, but I can't help feeling than I've lost a chunk of muscle.

a life of lifting explained in a gif

liftingnutshell_zpsngmpmv3c.gif

ILoveBish

The genetics game is not strong with you bro. I'm sorry. If it makes you feel any better, i tell everyone that the cardio is causing your muscle loss, not your genetics. No one has to know.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
http://youtu.be/yQuCi2h_kNI

Alan Thrall thinks low bar=powerlifters, people with poor ankle mobility
High bar=everyone else

He also suggests doing your regular sets low bar if you're doing low bar then do high rep lighter weight high bar until you're comfortable doing high bar exclusively

This video was certainly interesting, but he almost completely discounted ATG low bar squats. I want to see the evidence.

Mugaaz

This video was certainly interesting, but he almost completely discounted ATG low bar squats. I want to see the evidence.

Very, very few people can do ATG lowbar without relaxing their lower back, hamstrings, and then sliding their knees forward. Basically everything you don't want to be doing. Not much point in discussing it either, since there really isn't any group that cares about it.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Very, very few people can do ATG lowbar without relaxing their lower back, hamstrings, and then sliding their knees forward. Basically everything you don't want to be doing. Not much point in discussing it either, since there really isn't any group that cares about it.

I care, Mugaaz. Then again, I can't say I do a sport other than weightlifting, so it's a moot point.

So, as part of my new gym membership I got my body fat percentage, its 17% which is considered a decent level for fitness. I bet it was much higher right when I started exercising months ago, however, its not how I feel I look. I guess my ultimate goal would probably be to get down to 10% body fat. I don't think its possible on a bulk but if I cut down to get to 10-12% I feel like I'm going to be a lot lighter than I want to be. I'm kinda at a loss now, do I keep on my bulk (which has been very clean but I guess the 40%C 30%P and 30%F isn't gonna get me to 10-12%) or do I go back to cutting? Help me Fitgaf.

The genetics game is not strong with you bro. I'm sorry. If it makes you feel any better, i tell everyone that the cardio is causing your muscle loss, not your genetics. No one has to know.

Funnily enough the last week I've done no cardio as I was giving my knee a break.

Genetics for sure. :(

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Do we have another Olympic weightlifter here?

I suppose it's just a hobby, since I don't compete. No, I'm just looking to become as strong as I can legally. If there's a way to prioritize getting better at the Power Clean I'd be interested as that's my favorite lift by far.

Chocobro

I suppose it's just a hobby, since I don't compete. No, I'm just looking to become as strong as I can legally. If there's a way to prioritize getting better at the Power Clean I'd be interested as that's my favorite lift by far.
Actually doing Olympic weightlifting programs or lifts. More front squats, clean pulls, (power) cleans from blocks, and panda pulls, are some stuff that comes to my mind.

Edit-- After thinking about it, to my memory, I can't say there's been a video of a FitGAFer that has done a proper power clean in the last few OTs I've posted on.

SeanR1221

Thanks guys! She appreciated all the comments

Zefah, thanks man. Gotta keep pushing on. I'm hitting 6 months of dieting down in the next couple weeks. Weird to think it's been a half year.

Psycho, stay away! >:)

Just build a cable-pulldown rig in my basement.

I have kinda low ceilings but they are drop - so I can't exactly fit in a machine and always wanted one.

about 30 bucks at Home Creepo and bought some pulleys, cable, chain (to lengthen, shorten the cable ends as needed), locking rings, 2' 1.5" pipe with flat post (to hold plates) and a few other odds n ends. Slide my ceiling tiles off to the side, hang my pulleys and I'm good to go in about 20 seconds. I hang a heavy bag from my floor joists and it's withstood almost 8 years of heavy kicks and punches so a couple hundred pounds hanging won't hurt.

Each component is load bearing up to 400lbs which is fine since once it will mostly be used for fine tuning some single arm pulldowns, tris, etc.

I rigged a similar setup for pull-ups which is great as I can still use my chain to add weight around my waist and not have the plates or my knees hit the floor. I move the tiles off to the side, hang my long chains and then bam - my bar hooks right in and I can do pullups.

I feel pretty good about my home gym. I just need to get more plates, though. Passed my current 300 stack with a few exercises and could use a couple more plates. All in all I'm happy with it so far.

theytookourjobz

Actually doing Olympic weightlifting programs or lifts. More front squats, clean pulls, (power) cleans from blocks, and panda pulls, are some stuff that comes to my mind.

Edit-- After thinking about it, to my memory, I can't say there's been a video of a FitGAFer that has done a proper power clean in the last few OTs I've posted on.

I don't really catch my cleans that low (or that high) but here's 225x3 off the blocks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn61kYXgRC8

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Crazy to think that he looked like the the image on the left here not even 10 years ago.

hafthor-bjornsson-comparison-1024x569.jpg

I don't think these are the same person. The guy on the right is actually an Alien from outer space, who ate the guy on the left and took his place.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member

I actually posted a video a few pages back. I didn't get any feedback so I assumed it was a proper power clean. Weight is going up, so

Navi

Feeling this thread more and more everytime I visit. You guys are truly amazing and very inspirational. I would love to show off my current physique and get a few inputs on how I can improve my upper body but due to the fact I'm bulking I'm a bit shy so I can DM it to whoever wants to see.

Chocobro

I actually posted a video a few pages back. I didn't get any feedback so I assumed it was a proper power clean. Weight is going up, so

More than a few pages back. I honestly think the vast majority of FitGAF doesn't know what a proper clean is supposed to look like and the smaller technical details outside of the ones that actually do weightlifting (cuevas, theytookourjobz to name two) and ones that watch an absurd amount of weightlifting videos & reading material in preparation to start weightlifting (me). Additionally, I personally decided to stop critiquing form videos because it takes me quite a bit of time to type a response and posting isn't high on my priority list in my life.

- I had to really go far back for your 145x3 PC video lol. You need to work on your extension and catching the bar in the proper clean rack position (elbows higher, need to be parallel to the ground; you were catching it more in the jerk rack position).
Look at Ehab's power clean & jerk. At the moment he catches the bar, you can see his elbows are parallel to the ground, that's what you want. What a jerk rack position looks like / how you're catching it before readjusting your arm in the video, look at how his elbows are positioned before he jerks. It's pointed a bit down and you don't want to catch a (power) clean like that.
- As for extension, it's a bit more complicated; need to work on second to third pull IIRC. There should be drills to help with it on YouTube.

hey people,

i need some advice. i used to hit the weights regularly very very long ago, was looking good, felt good etc. got a night job and stopped lifting, started eating too much crap and gained weight like a mofo. I used to be about 90kg well then i let myself go and gained weight up until i stepped on the scale and it showed 137kg. Well it really fucked with my head and i started losing it, got to 106 kg again and well, met a new girl who loves weed and we smoked regularly, ate a shit ton of sweets and other unhealty crap. i was at 127 again four weeks ago and right now i am at 120.

The thing i want to know now, because i want a change in that, do i go straight for the bar and dumbells or should i lose all the weight before and do some fitness thing like p90 or t25 or anything like that?

hope you can help me, thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom