• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wulfric

I'm like you but 5'6" and 140 lbs (up from 128 lbs a month and a half ago). I had to drink mass gainers to meet my daily caloric targets, and eat a lot more on heavy lifting days.

Same here, I rarely just drink straight up milk in a glass, but it was the only way I was going to reach 1500 calories in a day. I also switched from one fried egg to two, but I'm a little concerned about the cholesterol.

Don't worry about tracking your daily TDEE. Instead, weigh yourself regulary (once a week is good), and always under the same conditions (i.e. first thing in the morning, wearing just underwear).

Eat the same amount of calories each day, and if you notice your weight stall 2 weeks in a row, bump up your daily calories by 300-500 calories.

Thanks, I'm trying to actively measure this stuff for the first time and the number of variables from one person to the next is just mind-boggling. I'll pick up a scale before I head back home and track that in my spreadsheet.

One thing I'll note for the smaller guys (I'm one of you). You may not need anywhere near the calories the calculators suggest for bulking. Just watch the scale and carefully modify your diet as you go. Friends of mine have ended up putting on three or four lbs a week... which is fantastic if you want to get fat, but not so much use if you're trying to put on muscle without too much fat.

I figured I had misinterpreted the OP somewhere along the line. Muscle is the goal here, obviously, but would it be okay to gain a pound every two weeks or so? That seems like a good middle ground to me, but I might be off the mark on that.

I'm a little concerned about the cholesterol.
Don't be, dietary cholesterol doesn't work that way. More bad nutritional science from back in the day.

I figured I had misinterpreted the OP somewhere along the line. Muscle is the goal here, obviously, but would it be okay to gain a pound every two weeks or so? That seems like a good middle ground to me, but I might be off the mark on that.
You might be holding back your strength / size gains in the early days if you only gain half a lb a week, but if you're worried about putting on too much fat, it's certainly an option.

Wulfric

Psychotext,

I'm not too worried about fat at all. Believe me, my legs have that covered! I wasn't sure what a good gain rate was, so I guessed 0.5 lb was a decent start. But if 1-1.5 lb a week is better, I can go with that instead.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Just realized my grip was off on my bench so i'm slightly uneven. Always had issues getting that right but I'm guessing that's why its harder for me to do Kroc rows on my left side since that's being favored ><. Time to watch vids and correct that. Hoping my build isn't completely uneven :(.

Edit: with a friend and he also noticed my back wadnt aligned on the bench properly. Was setting up more on the left side lol. I'm right handed too gah. Well just got my form tweaked so hopefully I'll be good for next week. Apparently it was a minor issue since I wasn't completely favoring one side. Am still kinda worried I'm not symmetrical.

Just realized my grip was off on my bench so i'm slightly uneven. Always had issues getting that right but I'm guessing that's why its harder for me to do Kroc rows on my left side since that's being favored ><. Time to watch vids and correct that. Hoping my build isn't completely uneven :(.

Edit: with a friend and he also noticed my back wadnt aligned on the bench properly. Was setting up more on the left side lol. I'm right handed too gah. Well just got my form tweaked so hopefully I'll be good for next week. Apparently it was a minor issue since I wasn't completely favoring one side. Am still kinda worried I'm not symmetrical.

A guy I lift with every once in awhile will measure the bar and the chalk where his thumb is supposed to be. Might be a good way for you to help stay centered.

Nelo Ice

Banned
A guy I lift with every once in awhile will measure the bar and the chalk where his thumb is supposed to be. Might be a good way for you to help stay centered.
Thanks for the tip. I need to get chalk too. Bench has always been my weakest lift besides OHP. And I'm always unsure if it's right. Just glad I was with someone that noticed it. And despite lifting for 2 years I'm still learning something.

yeah i'm terrible with the flat bench. i'm on the left side more too so it takes me awhile just to get situated.

entremet

Today's Arnold's birthday y'all.

Probably the most influential person in weight training.

We'd all be marathon runners if it wasn't for his influence.

ILoveBish

Great day again at the gym. Bench was easy as heck, got 5x170, 3x200 and 1x220 with a cooldown set of 6x170. Felt like a beast today strength wise, all my accessories went great.

I'm slowly realizing that I'm not actually obese anymore. Changing after the gym and I can see the top 4 abs incredibly well and it's slowly coming into the picture that I don't have to be afraid of being obese anymore.

I have to be careful because I could end up getting less strict as a result and that would be incredibly sad. These are the most difficult pounds to lose. Just have to keep at it.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Hey homies. I'm brand new to intentional fitness here and I could use some help. Obligatory info first:

Height: 5'11"
Weight: 165 pounds
Goal: To lose some of the belly fat I've accrued, and be generally more toned.
Current Training Schedule: None, really. I have plenty of time each day tho.
Current Training Equipment Available: Some free weights (5 to 20 lbs) and a pull up bar. I also bike everywhere, if that counts.

Okay, so I was taking some pilates classes for a few months, and the instructor recommended You Are Your Own Gym: The Bible of Bodyweight Exercises. I'm into the idea of bodyweight programs because I hate gyms and I'm wayyyyy more likely to actually work out if I can do it from home. I've been messing around with the exercises in the book, but mostly just getting a feel for them, not actually sticking to a routine. I want to change that and start working out five days a week using the book's beginner's program.

What do you all think? Is this a good plan? Am I doing myself a disservice by not looking into other options? Any tips or advice is welcome! Thanks yall.

entremet

Hey homies. I'm brand new to intentional fitness here and I could use some help. Obligatory info first:

Height: 5'11"
Weight: 165 pounds
Goal: To lose some of the belly fat I've accrued, and be generally more toned.
Current Training Schedule: None, really. I have plenty of time each day tho.
Current Training Equipment Available: Some free weights (5 to 20 lbs) and a pull up bar. I also bike everywhere, if that counts.

Okay, so I was taking some pilates classes for a few months, and the instructor recommended You Are Your Own Gym: The Bible of Bodyweight Exercises. I'm into the idea of bodyweight programs because I hate gyms and I'm wayyyyy more likely to actually work out if I can do it from home. I've been messing around with the exercises in the book, but mostly just getting a feel for them, not actually sticking to a routine. I want to change that and start working out five days a week using the book's beginner's program.

What do you all think? Is this a good plan? Am I doing myself a disservice by not looking into other options? Any tips or advice is welcome! Thanks yall.

I have that book.

Great book for bodyweight stuff.

If you really want to speed up fat loss add some Tabata sets 3x per week and do some fasted walks in morning for 15 to 20 minutes; and another walk after dinner every day.

Also get MyFitnessPal, figure out your caloric needs and just follow the prescription.

And improve your protein intake.

It's gonna be slower using bodyweight only so be patient.

Wulfric

I'd personally go for about a lb a week, but everyone is different. You can read more on the subject here: http://www.builtlean.com/2011/10/13...d-muscle-5-factors-that-affect-muscle-growth/ (and in a million other places if you search around).

Interesting, looks like a case of diminishing returns the longer you keep training. Honestly, it's all mostly numbers. Train X amount, eat Y amount of food, and reach a quantified goal within a specific timeframe. I want to be more familiar with the specifics before I start my weight training class in the fall, so thanks for your help. I'll definitely keep an eye on this thread.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I wish I could deadlift with you Brolic. I know watching you would push me to be my best. Good shit dude. Always impressive.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Hey guys, can you take a look at my squat form?

That hip-hinge is actually a new adjustment I made today, based on this video.

I've had a notoriously difficult time sitting back and down in the squat. I just could never figure out the initial movement. So today I exaggerated the hip-hinge slightly in the beginning and just focused on sitting straight down, and for the first time in a long while my squats felt "strong." Like, I was actually using my legs to move the weight.

Up until now I always felt weak at the bottom, but I think this exaggerated movement may have ironed out my issue a bit. I'm hoping it looks alright. I'd appreciate any and all advice!

Sorry for the bump, but anyone have any thoughts? lol

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Annnnnnnd someone needs more weight now. Shit dude, almost 3x bodyweight.

I wish I could deadlift with you Brolic. I know watching you would push me to be my best. Good shit dude. Always impressive.

Thanks guys. Was happy with it. If only my forearm would hurry up and heal. It's getting there though.

The two of you DL like 1,100 lbs combined, and you weigh 400. Fucking insane.

Eh, I weigh 236 right now. So I need to pull about 720 for 3x body weight.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Completely drained. Climbing scaffold all day in the heat, drank 5 liters and still lost 4lbs. Went to the gym anyways to do volume squats wanted to do 5x8 drop sets but that was just too much. I did 385x8 and my head was shaking and was close to passing out. Did the rest of my sets 375/365/355/345 x6 and finished with 315x6 with 3 second pauses.

I've been looking into getting a home gym setup going. Just the basics (Rack, Bench, Bar, Plates). Nothing fancy. Prices online are pretty insane though. Where do you home gym guys get your gear?

BumRush

I've been looking into getting a home gym setup going. Just the basics (Rack, Bench, Bar, Plates). Nothing fancy. Prices online are pretty insane though. Where do you home gym guys get your gear?

Try Craigslist if you don't want to pay new. Also, ask local gyms to give you a call when they're getting rid of old equipment.

I measured mine and wrapped a small piece of electrical tape to mark on each side equal distance from the plates where my thumb goes. Its a good idea. One side of my bar was off by 3/4"!

theytookourjobz

Sorry for the bump, but anyone have any thoughts? lol

Your squats look good to me brother. I squat high bar olympic style so I don't really focus on sitting "back" very much but I just think about breaking at the hip first and then sitting down like you said. And as long as my heels stay on the ground and my knees are out over my toes, I feel balanced and strong.

Hi FitGaf!

I've lurked here for a while and began barbell training a few months ago. Since starting, I've really focused on perfecting my form. However, I have recently noticed that my squats don't feel quite right. I try to maintain hip drive throughout, but have felt that 1) this creates a weird feeling in my lower back, a sort of tightness or dull pain at what feels like the bottom of my spine. My family has a history with lower back problems, so this worries me a little. And 2) I have a problem with making sure my chest is also being brought up at the end of my squat - which has somewhat caused me to do a hybrid between a good morning and a squat. This is most noticeable at the end of my set of 5.

Anyway, here's a shitty video of me squatting. Hopefully I can get some opinions on what might be causing my issues. I know it's portrait, and the camera focuses on my gross bag, and the angle is weird - just didn't want to show my face and didn't have too many options haha.

https://youtu.be/oWkZzwmD1Zw

Szu

Had a little scare last night. I tweaked my lower back. It was after my main workout when I was stretching.

I felt a pop and my lower right side started to really tighten up.

I quickly got down on a mat and stretched out my back. Did a bunch of lying straight leg and bent leg cross overs.

I did that for about 10 mins and my back loosened up. When I got home, I did some more stretching.

Woke this morning and my back feels fine. Gonna take it easy for this weekend, but it looks like I survived.

Getting old.

Hi FitGaf!

I've lurked here for a while and began barbell training a few months ago. Since starting, I've really focused on perfecting my form. However, I have recently noticed that my squats don't feel quite right. I try to maintain hip drive throughout, but have felt that 1) this creates a weird feeling in my lower back, a sort of tightness or dull pain at what feels like the bottom of my spine. My family has a history with lower back problems, so this worries me a little. And 2) I have a problem with making sure my chest is also being brought up at the end of my squat - which has somewhat caused me to do a hybrid between a good morning and a squat. This is most noticeable at the end of my set of 5.

Anyway, here's a shitty video of me squatting. Hopefully I can get some opinions on what might be causing my issues. I know it's portrait, and the camera focuses on my gross bag, and the angle is weird - just didn't want to show my face and didn't have too many options haha.

https://youtu.be/oWkZzwmD1Zw

You're not keeping your core tight. Your spine should not be wobbling around at all. Lower the weight and focus the drive up in the hips. The bar is probably coming ahead of the middle of your foot also, make sure you keep the weight evenly balanced over your foot, you'll feel yourself pushing more against the balls of your feet if you don't. Really feel the push in your heel and midfoot.

andycapps

My in-laws are the worst. I get lured into their home and they ambushed me with steak, chicken, fried rice, and ice cream. Then, they tell me that any leftovers might be thrown away because they don't eat this stuff. They only have it there when we visit.

Yes, I'm actually complaining about having a good relationship with my-laws and free food.

My daughter's birthday is tomorrow. And I'm on a cut right now. I think I'm just going to have to grit my teeth and eat some of it, while trying to keep sensible. Trying to do IIFYM but there's just not room in there for a crazy breakfast tomorrow that she wants at Cracker Barrel as well as pizza and cake on Sunday.

What do you guys do in situations like this? Just try to eat reasonable amounts and then get back on it the next meal/day? I wouldn't want to be a downer at my daughter's party, but I don't want to see this turn into a weekend of cheating on my diet, I'm okay with cheating a little once a week.

I guess one thing I could do is to keep my macro percentages the same 40/30/30 but let the chips fall where they may be on calories.

BumRush

My daughter's birthday is tomorrow. And I'm on a cut right now. I think I'm just going to have to grit my teeth and eat some of it, while trying to keep sensible. Trying to do IIFYM but there's just not room in there for a crazy breakfast tomorrow that she wants at Cracker Barrel as well as pizza and cake on Sunday.

What do you guys do in situations like this? Just try to eat reasonable amounts and then get back on it the next meal/day? I wouldn't want to be a downer at my daughter's party, but I don't want to see this turn into a weekend of cheating on my diet, I'm okay with cheating a little once a week.

I guess one thing I could do is to keep my macro percentages the same 40/30/30 but let the chips fall where they may be on calories.

My daughter's is today andy! One year! I'm going off diet.

Szu

Andy, enjoy your daughter's celebration. You can brood all about the delicious food after the party.

Bum has the right idea.

Happy bday to my fellow Dad Bod's little girls.

andycapps

My daughter's is today andy! One year! I'm going off diet.

Congrats! Enjoy that age. Mine is turning 10. :( It's great, but starting to feel pretty old.. When parents talk about how the time flies, they aren't kidding. It seems like yesterday that we brought her home from the hospital.

Andy, enjoy your daughter's celebration. You can brood all about the delicious food after the party.

Bum has the right idea.

Happy bday to my fellow Dad Bod's little girls.

I'm fully in the dad bod right now and trying to get out of it, haha. The problem this weekend is it's multiple meals and parties. But I'll enjoy, thanks guys.

Cooter

No one cares if you eat cake and that includes your daughter. That being said, if you want to have a cheat day have at it. You certainly have a great reason.

Azulsky

Have been wanting to get a belt for Squats and Deadlifts. Does FitGAF have any brand recommendations?

I know Inzer is usually highly recommended but they are spotty on turnaround time. Also saw Elite FTS has a 20% off sale which kind of brought the idea back up in my head today.

Bowser

Have been wanting to get a belt for Squats and Deadlifts. Does FitGAF have any brand recommendations?

I know Inzer is usually highly recommended but they are spotty on turnaround time. Also saw Elite FTS has a 20% off sale which kind of brought the idea back up in my head today.

If you're fine with just getting a standard black belt from Inzer, I think I've read that those usually arrive within 2 weeks since they keep black belts on hand.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Ugh, ON double chocolate powder tastes awful compared to rocky road. Nasty aftertaste and all. Gonna have a hard time finishing the entire tub of this stuff.

Cooter

Six weeks was plenty worth the wait for my red 10mm single buckle medium Inzer belt. When we're talking about a lifetime of use what's a couple months?

A rough breakdown of what I do, need advice:

5 x 120 = Chest Press machine
10 x ~60 = Bicep Curls (freemotion)
7 x ~60 = Tricep Extension (freemotion)
5 x ~60 = Rows (freemotion)
4 x ~70?= Pectoral Fy/the backwards one, which targets the entire/most of the back(I am physically too tired to complete these)
3 x 10 = Sit up crunches (on a machine)
5 x ~40= Shoulder Press machine
5 x ~70 = Calf Presses

Then there are these two other leg exercises I do that I don't remember. I usually also do some dumbbell curls, 5 x 15.

I do this every time I go, which is about 3x a day.

Some of the weights are off as I don't remember them, but I intend to get a more accurate description down next time.

Is this a good workout? I do whole body, I guess.

I've never approached the deadlifts/squats with the weights, as I'm too afraid to lol. Are they more beneficial than the freemotion/machines?

Also, regarding diet: I am also trying to lose weight. So I may be hurting myself by doing a half ass job. I eat less than I used to, but don't particularly have a totally clean diet. I drink milk with my cereal (Kellogs/LIFE), or have a coffee with milk and eggs.

I cut down a lot on my meals and have fruit snacks when I get hungry in between.

Wouldn't this be counter productive to me lifting weights? I want to lose the fat I have, but also am going to the gym to put on muscle. I usually run or do cardio every other day.

I am 5'7 1/2", 170 LBS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom