• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILoveBish

Was changing for the gym at work, and the bottom abs numbered 5 and 6 are now outlined. I'm not even trying lol.

Get to the gym and it's closed lol, water pipe broke. I had to go to the bank anyway, so just did that and went back to work. Gym better be open tomorrow.

I've timed my meals so that I'll be fasting and be back on schedule from here on out. I don't foresee any issues. Back to one meal a day baby. Then maybe this Thursday another 72 hour fast, depending on if I have guests or not this weekend.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Hey everyone,
I'm a beginner and I was looking at that workout in the OP. I didn't read the entirety of the OP but I was wondering why there weren't any cardio reccommendations for that work out. I know it's probably a stupid question, but I was just wondering. Also, do you guys have like a go to place where I can get some good tips on form when I first start?

Height: 5ft 9in
Weight: 166
Goal: 155-160
Current Training Schedule: T-Su
Current Training Equipment Available: small gym with the basics. It'd probably end up using a smith machine for bench, deadlift, and weighted squats
Comments: question up above please =}

J. Bravo

Was changing for the gym at work, and the bottom abs numbered 5 and 6 are now outlined. I'm not even trying lol.

Get to the gym and it's closed lol, water pipe broke. I had to go to the bank anyway, so just did that and went back to work. Gym better be open tomorrow.

I've timed my meals so that I'll be fasting and be back on schedule from here on out. I don't foresee any issues. Back to one meal a day baby. Then maybe this Thursday another 72 hour fast, depending on if I have guests or not this weekend.

we need a pic dood

You've been lifting for years ILB? I assume you used to work out but not take care of what you were eating?

Talking of abs, my upper ones are massive... but my lower ones are tiny. Anything good for targeting those?

entremet

Hey everyone,
I'm a beginner and I was looking at that workout in the OP. I didn't read the entirety of the OP but I was wondering why there weren't any cardio reccommendations for that work out. I know it's probably a stupid question, but I was just wondering. Also, do you guys have like a go to place where I can get some good tips on form when I first start?

Height: 5ft 9in
Weight: 166
Goal: 155-160
Current Training Schedule: T-Su
Current Training Equipment Available: small gym with the basics. It'd probably end up using a smith machine for bench, deadlift, and weighted squats
Comments: question up above please =}

Regarding cardio--It's really too varied honestly. There is a running thread and even a cycling thread here, but cardio can be anything--elliptical, stationary bike, a jog, a swim, even doing martial arts.

Heck walking 10k steps per day is pretty good too.

Getting strong is a bit more simpler (not easy) to do and gaining muscle mass and strength tend to go hand in hand. The OP's programs are proven in getting stronger and bigger.

Putting on muscle also improves body composition drastically. I remember when I first lost weight without lifting. I was just skinnier, but I didn't have any real definition.

You can still do cardio. Just do it after your workout or during your off days.

For form, I would just focus on using an empty bar without weight. Try recording yourself with your smartphone and post your it here for advice.

I would not worry about adding weights until you get the form down.

Additionally, you will working on form for forever. I still have to watch my form, so don't get too bogged down on it.

Cardio is great for overall health and creating small deficits for calorie burn, but your weight loss is going to be predicated mostly on diet.

Honestly, the best cardio for body composition is strong man stuff anyway--sleds, farmer walks, etc.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Regarding cardio--It's really too varied honestly. There is a running thread and even a cycling thread here, but cardio can be anything--elliptical, stationary bike, a jog, a swim, even doing martial arts.

Heck walking 10k steps per day is pretty good too.

Getting strong is a bit more simpler (not easy) to do and gaining muscle mass and strength tend to go hand in hand. The OP's programs are proven in getting stronger and bigger.

Putting on muscle also improves body composition drastically. I remember when I first lost weight without lifting. I was just skinnier, but I didn't have any real definition.

You can still do cardio. Just do it after your workout or during your off days.

For form, I would just focus on using an empty bar without weight. Try recording yourself with your smartphone and post your it here for advice.

I would not worry about adding weights until you get the form down.

Additionally, you will working on form for forever. I still have to watch my form, so don't get too bogged down on it.

Cardio is great for overall health and creating small deficits for calorie burn, but your weight loss is going to be predicated mostly on diet.

Honestly, the best cardio for body composition is strong man stuff anyway--sleds, farmer walks, etc.
Thank you for all the glorious information. I'll be sure to focus on form first and foremost before lifting anything. If I'm able I'll post some stuff here. Thank you for your response, it's really appreciated.

Nelo Ice

Banned
So went into OHP day expecting to barely get 3 reps @ 105 lbs on my last 5/3/1 set. Instead I got 5 reps!. Needless to say I am over the moon that I set a new rep PR on the one lift that's given me the most trouble.

Hiya FitGAF, I've got a question. Total newb here.

I just started lifting last week, roughly following the Starting Strength routine. It's been going fine so far. Here's what I'm wondering though - some days when I go to the gym all the squat racks are taken, but there's an open smith machine, so I'll use that for squatting and OHP. It seems almost every other day I'm switching between a squat rack and a smith. Is it bad to use a smith machine?

Nelo Ice

Banned

I just started lifting last week, roughly following the Starting Strength routine. It's been going fine so far. Here's what I'm wondering though - some days when I go to the gym all the squat racks are taken, but there's an open smith machine, so I'll use that for squatting and OHP. It seems almost every other day I'm switching between a squat rack and a smith. Is it bad to use a smith machine?
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IHBLxCPmnVc
Use the squat rack. Ask to work in if it's currently being used.

I clean my OHP weight with a free bar. I don't know if there will come a point where I can no longer clean the weight I'm trying to OHP, but it's not happened yet.

Silent_Z

Smith mechanics are really different from regular movements. The strict bar path screws with stuff. You won't lose all your gains from touching a Smith, and a good number of people have gotten really big and really strong using Smith machines frequently, but it's not optimal.

If you can spare the time I'd recommend waiting the 15 minutes to get a rack. Your progress in one environment won't 100% translate to the other, which could get frustrating on a linear progression program like Stronglifts.

ILoveBish

we need a pic dood

I pm'd a couple people but I thought I looked like ass, maybe after the next 72 hour fast.

Team #WeDontWorkHardCauseGenetics!

Shedding a tear as I type this.

You've been lifting for years ILB? I assume you used to work out but not take care of what you were eating?

Talking of abs, my upper ones are massive... but my lower ones are tiny. Anything good for targeting those?

I've been lifting for a little over 3 years now. Proper lifting program for only 2. Before that 0 physical activity. I was weak, and I have 100+ hour dq8 and kh1 save files to prove it.

ILoveBish

Also the first year I lifted was no diet at all, I ate everything and had a awful bro split routine. I didn't discover proper eating till fitgaf, then expanded my knowledge from there.

entremet

Also the first year I lifted was no diet at all, I ate everything and had a awful bro split routine. I didn't discover proper eating till fitgaf, then expanded my knowledge from there.

Live and learn.

I feel like I'm finally understanding cutting this year.

sphinx

the piano man
Cutting requires first and foremost a strong character and military discpline.

A guy with "an idea" of how to cut but commited to it will see better results than a guy with all the knowledge and cheating here and there.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
My half rack and bench will be here tomorrow. 652lbs of kick ass garage gym goodness coming my way.

Bros... why do I keep checking out other bros when I'm out? It's like:

"Lifts, skipped leg day, lolsmall, freakbeast, aesthetic, doesn't lift, couldn't lift..."

/stilldigschicks

Eventually that stops and you just notice body types similar to yours and know you share same training methodologies.

I immediately home in on big backs and forearms and know we can talk shop.

entremet

Cutting requires first and foremost a strong character and military discpline.

A guy with "an idea" of how to cut but commited to it will see better results than a guy with all the knowledge and cheating here and there.

Honestly, I wasn't doing refeeds, so my metabolism would slow down to a crawl and I would just give up due to plateaus.

I started adding tactical refeeds and the fat is melting away.

I was afraid of cheat meals honestly. But I've seen the light!

The actual discipline of staying at a caloric range was pretty easy for me actually.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
That look you get when someone says you look bigger than the last time they saw you in January and you respond by telling them you actually lost 40 pounds.

Eventually that stops and you just notice body types similar to yours and know you share same training methodologies.

I immediately home in on big backs and forearms and know we can talk shop.

This is just when out and about. I have my own gym so don't tend to see others there. :D

ILoveBish

Honestly, I wasn't doing refeeds, so my metabolism would slow down to a crawl and I would just give up due to plateaus.

The actual discipline of staying at a caloric range was pretty easy for me actually.

I'm not a fan of cheat days at all. But eating at or slightly above maintenance levels here and there, totally cool. The issue is a lot of people still have a unhealthy relationship with food. So you give them an inch, they'll take 10 miles and overdo it.

Learning to treat food as fuel instead of a treat is extremely difficult. Especially in the US. Food is essentially worshipped here.

SeanR1221

Got the MRI done, the results will be looked at tomorrow.

Honestly wasn't so bad. I almost fell asleep in the machine; I thought it was pretty relaxing.

entremet

I'm not a fan of cheat days at all. But eating at or slightly above maintenance levels here and there, totally cool. The issue is a lot of people still have a unhealthy relationship with food. So you give them an inch, they'll take 10 miles and overdo it.

Learning to treat food as fuel instead of a treat is extremely difficult. Especially in the US. Food is essentially worshipped here.

Cheat days are too much.

I find meals fine, though.

I had good success by adding cheat meals here and there.

I'm a pretty good cook so I can make healthy and great tasting low calorie meals easily, so I'm never dying for a good meal.

IIFYM is also a godsend, so I don't feel deprived.

Ehh, many here have great success with cheat days. But that said, many of us don't have any problems with food / eating. I don't use them as any sort of psychological crutch, but they can be useful for other reasons.

ILoveBish

Ehh, many here have great success with cheat days. But that said, many of us don't have any problems with food / eating. I don't use them as any sort of psychological crutch, but they can be useful for other reasons.

Most likely not american if they don't have problems with eating lol. But seriously, it's a hot topic these days.

entremet

I think that's where you need to find out what works for you.

It's also why cookie cutter prescriptions aren't effective.

Sometimes you need to experiment.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
This is just when out and about. I have my own gym so don't tend to see others there. :D

I'm talking about out and about. Eventually you realize most people are small.

Got the MRI done, the results will be looked at tomorrow.

Honestly wasn't so bad. I almost fell asleep in the machine; I thought it was pretty relaxing.

I got one as I left the military for my hearing. Was scared as shit since you can't have any metal on you when you do it and I didn't know if I had any in me I didn't know about (small) from all of the IED blasts.

The Chef

Amen bro.
Refeeds especially if your already pretty lean can be very beneficial to reach your goals. Plus, pancakes.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I find it next-to-impossible to live entirely without cheat meals. One trip to a restaurant with friends or coworkers pretty much forces you to have one. At least it does so with most restaurants.

SeanR1221

I'm talking about out and about. Eventually you realize most people are small.

I got one as I left the military for my hearing. Was scared as shit since you can't have any metal on you when you do it and I didn't know if I had any in me I didn't know about (small) from all of the IED blasts.

Ah yeah that can be scary. The thoughts of small pieces of metal ripping out of your body.

My dad went through the same thing since he worked as a mechanic and then contractor his whole life. He was worried he missed some silver splinters.

entremet

I find it next-to-impossible to live entirely without cheat meals. One trip to a restaurant with friends or coworkers pretty much forces you to have one. At least it does so with most restaurants.

Yeah, the social aspect of food is very underrated.

The hardest thing for me is pizza lunches that the company sometimes orders on random occasions.

Pizza is my biggest weakness. I used to devour whole large pies in college.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Ah yeah that can be scary. The thoughts of small pieces of metal ripping out of your body.

My dad went through the same thing since he worked as a mechanic and then contractor his whole life. He was worried he missed some silver splinters.

That's just it. They wouldn't rip out. It would work like a microwave and heat them up.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Oreo donuts

JvgwnD4.jpg

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Decent session at the gym after some time off. Managed to not lose a great deal of progress on my lifts thankfully. I started going with a wider grip on my squats and it feels a heck of a lot better. I think the narrow grip was also causing some wrist/elbow troubles so glad that's resolved.

Oreo donuts

That looks too damn good to be legal.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Is there any food that doesn't have an Oreo mutation?

I just randomly googled 'Oreo Pizza', and voila...

bizzare-toppings-1.jpg

Yeah, the social aspect of food is very underrated.

The hardest thing for me is pizza lunches that the company sometimes orders on random occasions.

Pizza is my biggest weakness. I used to devour whole large pies in college.

Same here. Unless your work place has a good canteen, eating well can be freakin' annoying. Either you bring your own prepared food, or you are stuck with the crap that your coworkers eat. One thing that works well for me is to make some smoothies in the morning, drink them for lunch, and have a proper meal in the evening.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Same here. Unless your work place has a good canteen, eating well can be freakin' annoying. Either you bring your own prepared food, or you are stuck with the crap that your coworkers eat. One thing that works well for me is to make some smoothies in the morning, drink them for lunch, and have a proper meal in the evening.
I just use it to test my willpower. Sitting there during a company meeting watching everyone eat pizza and taking shit from all your coworkers because you refuse only makes me stronger when you come out the other side entering your 16th hour fasted.

BumRush

FE lookin really good dude.

Sean, good luck tomorrow!!

Brolic...damn re: the IEDs. How close were they when they went off??

BumRush

I just use it to test my willpower. Sitting there during a company meeting watching everyone eat pizza and taking shit from all your coworkers because you refuse only makes me stronger when you come out the other side entering your 16th hour fasted.

It's a great feeling when you make it through unscathed and you coworkers are feeling stuffed and bloated and mad that they broke their diet.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
FE lookin really good dude.

Sean, good luck tomorrow!!

Brolic...damn re: the IEDs. How close were they when they went off??

From right on me, to one or more vehicles away, paint can bombs, rigged artillery shells, deep buried, Explosivly formed projectiles, you name it. I had a rock in my hand until a year ago. And no, didn't get a Purple Heart, didn't see a medic on any of them. We got blown up a lot.

Off topic, but I posted this on FB last night. Regarding battle of Najaf. This was my old 1st telling the story and it's published. We were Cco 2/3 INF. This was t even the most action we saw. We saw a shitload that tour.

http://www.stripes.com/news/special...ll-always-be-the-greatest-in-my-mind-1.349948

BumRush

From right on me, to one or more vehicles away, paint can bombs, rigged artillery shells, deep buried, Explosivly formed projectiles, you name it. I had a rock in my hand until a year ago. And no, didn't get a Purple Heart, didn't see a medic on any of them. We got blown up a lot.

Off topic, but I posted this on FB last night. Regarding battle of Najaf. This was my old 1st telling the story and it's published. We were Cco 2/3 INF. This was t even the most action we saw. We saw a shitload that tour.

http://www.stripes.com/news/special...ll-always-be-the-greatest-in-my-mind-1.349948

Dude, as cliche as this sounds..."thank you" for serving. I complain about work deadlines and 14 hour days, reading this kind of stuff puts things in perspective.

Hello,

I have a Weider Pro 900 weight bench that I bought used and the coating on the lat pulldown cable has come apart.

Weider doesn't sell the part anymore and I can't find it anywhere. Any ideas on how to get it fixed?

Thank you.

despire

Something weird is happening in that I don't look my leanest the morning AFTER fasting day (which used to be the case and makes sense). Instead for the last week or so I've looked my leanest on the morning/day after lifting day and eating at TDEE (or slightly above). Interesting if this keeps up. Or maybe I'm just leaning out in general and am seeing things :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom