• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sphinx

the piano man
I am not a fan of the idea "Cardio kills gains" BUT... I believe that if you aren't careful with what and when you eat, an intense cardio session can make you look like pretty bad two or three days thereafter.

Yesterday I had a standard back day after days of some outdoor activites and I looked lean on the mirrors... but lean in a bad way, like deflated, not strong or sturdy...

My diagnose is that I ate bad stuff (which I did) and at a calorif deficit on top of the cardio, that pretty much throws everything to the garbage bin.

It surely ends and you are approaching that end soon my friend. Impressive work!

Fe, you're looking really great. But keep cutting. Just do it.

FE, I think it's less than 10 lbs, you are soooo very near of looking defined, strong and lean at the same time. Look around your waist, there just so little to get rid of!! I echo Cooter and ILB, keep at it a bit more.

ILoveBish

Mmmm, slept 12 hours strait, really needed it. Weighed in at 232.4lbs yesterday, back down to 228.8 this morning. Way ahead of schedule. Last time i ate was yesterday at 1pm, so i'm right back on track for once a day eating.

Something weird is happening in that I don't look my leanest the morning AFTER fasting day (which used to be the case and makes sense). Instead for the last week or so I've looked my leanest on the morning/day after lifting day and eating at TDEE (or slightly above). Interesting if this keeps up. Or maybe I'm just leaning out in general and am seeing things :p

Exact same thing happened to me during my long fasts. It is interesting to say the least.

I am not a fan of the idea "Cardio kills gains" BUT... I believe that if you aren't careful with what and when you eat, an intense cardio session can make you look like pretty bad two or three days thereafter.

Yesterday I had a standard back day after days of some outdoor activites and I looked lean on the mirrors... but lean in a bad way, like deflated, not strong or sturdy...

My diagnose is that I ate bad stuff (which I did) and at a calorif deficit on top of the cardio, that pretty much throws everything to the garbage bin.

That is why I stopped going to kickboxing class while cutting, it made me look meh. I find intense cardio to be more useful while bulking and counterproductive while cutting

FE, I think it's less than 10 lbs, you are soooo very near of looking defined, strong and lean at the same time. Look around your waist, there just so little to get rid of!! I echo Cooter and ILB, keep at it a bit more.

FE lookin really good dude.

Sean, good luck tomorrow!!

Brolic...damn re: the IEDs. How close were they when they went off??

Damn FE you are in beast mode.

Looks like you need smaller pants, FE lol.

Fe, you're looking really great. But keep cutting. Just do it.

It surely ends and you are approaching that end soon my friend. Impressive work!

tyty all for the love gentlemen, this journey will soon be over and a new one will begin!

Was he really banned from r/Fitness lol?

People probably spamming his videos.

He wasn't banned but the r/fitness mods banned his videos because they weren't "fitness" related.

SeanR1221

So I have a minor slap tear and a cyst in my bone. Basically I'm not fubar! So two more weeks of resting certain lifts then going back to them at 50%. If that still hurts we'll explore other options.

Man, I was TOTALLY not well enough to do that workout. Turns out I am just about as strong when I'm sick, but about half way through I completely ran out of energy and mostly flailed ineffectively at the weights.

Glad I tried, but completely destroyed now.

ILoveBish

Freaking body hair is growing back so quickly, it's so much harder to see abs now. Damn you body hair. These genetics boning me again.

SeanR1221

Good to hear, bubba. I'm glad it's not worse!!

Definitely and it's very good I caught it early and I'm taking care of it. Pushing through this would definitely mess it up. the cyst explains why he thought I had rotator cuff damage but luckily that's fine.

I really need to get my left shoulder checked out. It's been a problem for years.

Both of them sound like cement mixers, but that ones hurts far more regularly.

Szu

Man, I was TOTALLY not well enough to do that workout. Turns out I am just about as strong when I'm sick, but about half way through I completely ran out of energy and mostly flailed ineffectively at the weights.

Glad I tried, but completely destroyed now.

Well, could have been worse. At least, you body didn't auto shut down.

deadlift-fail-o.gif

entremet

I Nair every month or so. It still sucks.

I could laser all my body hair or get a Ferrari for the same price. I'll stick to Nair.

Ouch. That stings for me.

I've gotten good with shaving over the years. 10 minutes in the shower, every Sunday and I'm good.

I don't shave everything, though. I trim a lot of stuff.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I could laser all my body hair or get a Ferrari for the same price. I'll stick to Nair.

It is definitely costly, but prices have gone down in the last years. A friend of mine did it last year for her legs, arms, and some faint hair on her back and belly. If I remember correctly, it cost her around 2000€ for the 6-8 sessions. Still pricey, but at least you are done with it afterwards.

The alternatives just suck. Shaving is time consuming and leaves you itchy once the hair comes back. Waxing is time-consuming as well, and over time costs just as much as the laser.

Bowser

I get my back waxed and trim my chest/stomach every 6 weeks or so.

The drawbacks of being a brown man, so much body hair :(

ILoveBish

Good workout today, deload week so nothing much to speak of numbers wise. Had a great pump going and upped the weight on the accessories. Felt stupid strong today.

Ouch. That stings for me.

I've gotten good with shaving over the years. 10 minutes in the shower, every Sunday and I'm good.

I don't shave everything, though. I trim a lot of stuff.

I just trim down to very short. No itch problems, and relatively quick.

If I just had hair in places, I might also. But I'm literally covered in it. Maybe there is a body hair sculpting class or something lol.

It is definitely costly, but prices have gone down in the last years. A friend of mine did it last year for her legs, arms, and some faint hair on her back and belly. If I remember correctly, it cost her around 2000€ for the 6-8 sessions. Still pricey, but at least you are done with it afterwards.

The alternatives just suck. Shaving is time consuming and leaves you itchy once the hair comes back. Waxing is time-consuming as well, and over time costs just as much as the laser.

There are 2 laser techniques. One is the laser that has sessions you go to several times but after 6 or so months it grows back.

The other is electrolysis. This is permanent. They use a laser to destroy the hair root. It takes a long time and is costly.

ElTorro

There are 2 laser techniques. One is the laser that has sessions you go to several times but after 6 or so months it grows back.

The other is electrolysis. This is permanent. They use a laser to destroy the hair root. It takes a long time and is costly.

What my friend did was definitely permanent. She told me that the place she went to used a new technology that can use a much broader laser scan and thus does not require the operator to target every single hair individually. That makes it cheaper and faster. Sadly, I don't remember the name of that procedure.

ILoveBish

What my friend did was definitely permanent. She told me that the place she went to used a new technology that can use a much broader laser scan and thus does not require the operator to target every single hair individually. That makes it cheaper and faster. Sadly, I don't remember the name of that procedure.

I don't think I've heard of this. Off to Google. Might be euro only I fear.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Had to reschedule with UPS. Stuff will be here tomorrow. They fucked up with the truck they were gonna use for today.

Dude, as cliche as this sounds..."thank you" for serving. I complain about work deadlines and 14 hour days, reading this kind of stuff puts things in perspective.

Thanks bud.

So I have a minor slap tear and a cyst in my bone. Basically I'm not fubar! So two more weeks of resting certain lifts then going back to them at 50%. If that still hurts we'll explore other options.

Good to hear.

ILoveBish

I can't find a thing about a new updated laser hair removal. It's still all the same, anything other then electrolysis comes back.

ElTorro

I can't find a thing about a new updated laser hair removal. It's still all the same, anything other then electrolysis comes back.

I'll try to ask her.

/edit: Apparently, her doc used this here: http://syneron-candela.com/na/product/gentle-pro-series

Not sure if it was that particular model, but Candela seems to be the brand. Didn't ask her yet, but found that info on the website of the doc she went to.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Failed twice DLing 565 at 177 today. Second time I got it off the ground an inch or two at least. Baby steps.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Mixed bag today, but set a couple PRs.

The bad:
- Slept through my workout yesterday and I'm now a full workout behind schedule.
- Got the shits when I first walked in the gym
- Only got two reps of 230 on squats, reset to 205 and finished normally

The good:
- 2x5 and 1x6 dumbbell bench, last rep paused (felt a stall coming on so no more 'all paused'

The awesome:
- 3x5x285 deadlifts (PR by ten lbs)

The intriguing:
- After all that, got a little swivel going on explosive pull-ups. Muscle-up coming soon?

Wulfric

Well, I've been recording my diet for a week now and it astonishes me how much more I'm eating. I found it difficult to reach 1500 in a day last week, and today I passed that number pretty easily without feeling bloated. It's too early for me to make any meaningful changes without more data, but I'll stick to what I'm doing for now and adjust accordingly.

These are my averages for the past 7 days:
1724 calories
200g carbs
62g fat
18g fiber
86g protein

This is about in line with the 1percentage calculator (set for standard recomp), except for protein. I'm at a loss as how to increase the protein intake without ballooning everything else as well. Overall, my push ups are getting better, and my morning run is easier, so I take this as a sign that I'm heading the right direction.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Well, I've been recording my diet for a week now and it astonishes me how much more I'm eating. I found it difficult to reach 1500 in a day last week, and today I passed that number pretty easily without feeling bloated. It's too early for me to make any meaningful changes without more data, but I'll stick to what I'm doing for now and adjust accordingly.

1724 calories
200g carbs
62g fat
18g fiber
86g protein

This is about in line with the 1percentage calculator (set for standard recomp), except for protein. I'm at a loss as how to increase the protein intake without ballooning everything else as well. Overall, my push ups are getting better, and my morning run is easier, so I take this as a sign that I'm heading the right direction.

Depends on what your intentions are. Either maintaining muscle mass on a cut, gaining muscle mass, or strength, your protein levels should be at .8 your bodyweight at a minimum. To maintain your caloric limit you would pull from another macro to add to your protein intake. In your case I'd suggest readjusting your carb intake to raise your protein.

Not sure what your protein sources are but if you plan on going low fat/moderate carb, look into lean cuts of meat, cottage cheese has a high amount of protein in relation to fat, tuna fish with a little bit of mayo, whey protein etc. Eggs are a good cheap source of protein but they're pretty fatty too. It's easy for me to hit 150g of protein with those sources of protein.

I'm personally low carb and my macros stand at 23C/120F/154P @ 1800 Calories

Bowser

1724 calories
200g carbs
62g fat
18g fiber
86g protein

For more protein, look into 0% Greek Yogurt, low-fat cottage cheese, whey protein powder, and Quest bars. Some combination of those should easily add 50g of protein to your diet without appreciably increasing your other macros. You could probably stand to cut back a bit on the carbs.

My current cutting diet right now is 1,600 calories split 80g carbs/80g fat/140g protein (I'm 5'6" and weigh ~145lbs).

Wulfric

Depends on what your intentions are. Either maintaining muscle mass on a cut, gaining muscle mass, or strength, your protein levels should be at .8 your bodyweight at a minimum. To maintain your caloric limit you would pull from another macro to add to your protein intake. In your case I'd suggest readjusting your carb intake to raise your protein.

Not sure what your protein sources are but if you plan on going low fat/moderate carb, look into lean cuts of meat, cottage cheese has a high amount of protein in relation to fat, tuna fish with a little bit of mayo, whey protein etc. Eggs are a good cheap source of protein but they're pretty fatty too. It's easy for me to hit 150g of protein with those sources of protein.

I'm personally low carb and my macros stand at 23C/120F/154P @ 1800 Calories

Increased muscle mass is my goal right now. Protein intake is usually two eggs in the morning or some milk and cereal. Do you have a preferred whey protein? I thought I might try that mixed in with oatmeal. Love your tag, btw. ;)

For more protein, look into 0% Greek Yogurt, low-fat cottage cheese, whey protein powder, and Quest bars. Some combination of those should easily add 50g of protein to your diet without appreciably increasing your other macros. You could probably stand to cut back a bit on the carbs.

My current cutting diet right now is 1,600 calories split 80g carbs/80g fat/140g protein (I'm 5'6" and weigh ~145lbs).

Oh, we're pretty similar then (5'5", 140). Yeah, I thought the carbs were a bit much. According to fitnesspal, it's usually an apple at 22g or two slices of wheat bread at 28g that does it. I'll give the cottage cheese a try. And that cookies and cream Quest bar has piqued my interest. There's got to be a catch with those bars, right?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
What's y'alls favorite exercise you do?

For me, it's deadlifts. Nothing as satisfying as lifting hundreds of pounds off the ground through pure force.

Squats.

The sheer rush of having so much weight on your back and taking it up and down can't be beat. It also feels the most intense when you manage to finish your set. Deadlifts are a close second as well.

Bowser

Increased muscle mass is my goal right now. Protein intake is usually two eggs in the morning or some milk and cereal. Do you have a preferred whey protein? I thought I might try that mixed in with oatmeal. Love your tag, btw. ;)

Oh, we're pretty similar then (5'5", 140). Yeah, I thought the carbs were a bit much. According to fitnesspal, it's usually an apple at 22g or two slices of wheat bread at 28g that does it. I'll give the cottage cheese a try. And that cookies and cream Quest bar has piqued my interest. There's got to be a catch with those bars, right?

If you're trying to add mass then you are probably fine just going with 0.7-0.8g per lb of protein, so somewhere around 100-110g. You probably want to keep the carbs higher too. All you really need to do with your diet then is just add a scoop of protein powder and you'd hit your protein target. Most people here like ON 100% Gold Standard Whey (my personal fave flavors are Double Rich Chocolate, Mocha Cappuccino, and Mint Chocolate). Most of the flavors have macros of 3g carbs/1g fat/24g protein per scoop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom