• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Peanut Butter Ice Cream with Crunchy Peanut Butter Sugar Bits, Peanut Butter Cookies & a Peanut Butter Cookie Core

PeanutButtah_crosssection.png

I'm really not a fan of those core style ice creams. I find them overpowering.

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
Fuck yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh 385 Deadlift x 8! Now onto 395 then my goal of 405. So close. Strange thing is I started boxing again. I run 4.5 miles 3 x a week and have been losing weight. I don't know how much I have lost but I do look considerably thinner. I though I was going to lose my strength since I lost weight but I guess not!

The lift that wrecks me the most is Bulgarian split squats. I do them for 12-15 reps on my lower body day after six sets of squat variants and 4-6 sets of deadlift variants. When I'm finished with them I can barely walk to the next exercise.

I do them after my deadlifts and I am pretty much tired. My butt hurts after those.

Favourite lift is deadlift, because they make me really tired and make me feel like a badass at the same time. It's also the only lift so far I can do for reps above my bodyweight.

Second favourite is bent-over rows because they are quite easy for me too.

The lift that wrecks me the most is Bulgarian split squats. I do them for 12-15 reps on my lower body day after six sets of squat variants and 4-6 sets of deadlift variants. When I'm finished with them I can barely walk to the next exercise.

sphinx

the piano man
today the weirdest thing happened to me, I mistook my under armour compression pants for my underarmour compression shirt (they really look and feel the same)....so when I arrived at the gym and proceeded to change clothes, I realized I had two shirts... and no workout pants...on leg day.

I refused to quit there and thought "what the fuck do I do now??" well I stayed on my jeans, wore one of the shirts and proceeded to do Chest/arms, which was very nice cause I got a good pump.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I'm really not a fan of those core style ice creams. I find them overpowering.
I'm usually with you on the cores but I can make exceptions. You want to be overpowered by peanut butter cookie dough psycho! This you buy for the cookie dough equally as you do for the ice cream.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Completed bench, and half rack including band pegs, dip bar attachments and monkey pullup bar. Was a bitch to put together solo, but did it in about 2-3 hours

11059732_10207556178693534_7438531753579924596_n.jpg

11831703_10207556205054193_2185864130820629633_n.jpg

Hey everyone I have a quick question on programming. Right now I'm doing a beyond 5/3/1 split where I typically will do two compound movements a day and I try to do all of the big movements (squat, deadlift, bench, and OHP) twice a week. Twice a week has really helped me gain these last six months or so. The volume and repetition has been awesome. However I'm starting to run into an issue where I'm fatiguing more frequently now. To give you an example Monday's I squat first, then bench, and after that do a couple of accessory movements. On Wednesday I bench first, squat second, and then some accessory work. My question is should I drop 5% to 15% on the second compound movement of the day and do more sets/more reps in each set/speed work/pause/band work? Say I squat 90% on Monday should I only go up on bench somewhere from 70% to 85% and vice versa on Wednesdays?

edit: Also I don't want to increase any calories right now. I have a pretty tight diet where I'm in a pretty small calorie deficit. I'm still gaining strength, but shedding a bit of fat (I went down a hole on my belt, stomach is getting flatter). Eventually after a little more fat loss I'm going to bump up my caloric intake a bit.

Nobody wants to talk programming?

I would suggest to people who are looking to pick these up to pick up the black pair if you sweat a lot. My foot sweat has made the tongue on mine start to go yellow on the edges. I really need to clean them.

Gym looks great Brolic. Perfect set up.

blackflag

Completed bench, and half rack including band pegs, dip bar attachments and monkey pullup bar. Was a bitch to put together solo, but did it in about 2-3 hours

Oh very nice. I've been eying that yoke bar for a long time. Probably should go ahead and pull the trigger, My shoulders have a hard time getting in position for regular squats, actually hurts them weekly.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Look no further.

Peanut Butter Ice Cream with Crunchy Peanut Butter Sugar Bits, Peanut Butter Cookies & a Peanut Butter Cookie Core

PeanutButtah_crosssection.png

Ben and Jerry's is my kryptonite.

They should make a protein powder version.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Your gym is looking beautiful Brolic. I'm peanut butter and jealous.

That is boss level shit Brolic! Nicely done. Looks great.

That rack is amazing.

Looks amazing, very nice!

Oh very nice. I've been eying that yoke bar for a long time. Probably should go ahead and pull the trigger, My shoulders have a hard time getting in position for regular squats, actually hurts them weekly.

Thanks guys!

A yolked bar?

Interesting.

Yep, easier on your shoulders, but forces you to squat right and hits the upper back harder.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Just had the weirdest gains goblins ever.

2 girls just took the only the squat rack in the gym, so I'll just ask how many sets they have left and wait. They tell me just 3 sets each so I back off and go do some deadlifts. I wasn't even sure I was seeing across the gym once they started. 2 sets of dumbbells inside the squat rack while 1 girl squatted and the other hung on to the safeties and did some strange one legged deadlifts type movements for 2 sets. Eventually they both just switched to doing sumo deadlifts with ez-curl bars and weighted lunges all around the rack like sharks then left all their dumbbells inside the rack...

I hate the post work rush.

You'll be able to lift a ton more with a barbell, that much is certain.

Darn. Guess Ill have to try and squeeze in between the hulks at the squat section of the gym. I cant help but stare and try to mimic their form. I think my form is right but I need someone to critique me

Rest day tomorrow and I can't even begin to describe how much I need it. I know I shouldn't have continued to work out, but I didn't want to let up on my goal to look as good as possible this weekend.

I may look completely dead this weekend instead... but I guess that's just a chance I had to take.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I'm supposed to deadlift the bar above my head? Such a fool I've been all this time.

I wish there were more notable female powerlifters on Youtube. There's a seemingly infinite amount of guys showing off their lifts, but I've seen maybe four different women. It'd be nice to see a female powerlifter get as popular as Omar, Bart Kwan, or Jonnie Candito.

Wulfric

If you're trying to add mass then you are probably fine just going with 0.7-0.8g per lb of protein, so somewhere around 100-110g. You probably want to keep the carbs higher too. All you really need to do with your diet then is just add a scoop of protein powder and you'd hit your protein target. Most people here like ON 100% Gold Standard Whey (my personal fave flavors are Double Rich Chocolate, Mocha Cappuccino, and Mint Chocolate). Most of the flavors have macros of 3g carbs/1g fat/24g protein per scoop.

*headnod* Gotcha, protein tally for today was 95g. Granted, some of that was a Gatorade protein bar, but at least it was better than yesterday's 82g. I'll try that Gold Standard whey when I get back from vacation. My meal log might be a little inaccurate for those two weeks in Washington state, but then again, we have a lot of outdoors stuff planned.

Thanks for your input. You too, BlueTsunami!

Pancakes

Looking at gyms is almost as bad as buying a new car, so many sleazy sales tactics.

"You want a form check? That'll be 3 30 minute sessions at $30 each"

Personal trainers are my personal pet peeve at chain gyms.

"You want a form check? That'll be 3 30 minute sessions at $30 each"

Personal trainers are my personal pet peeve at chain gyms.

My favourite part was them wanting me to pay a joining fee and lock into an 18 month contract on the spot.

Found a non-chain gym for $10 a week with no contracts so will probably go with them.

entremet

I would suggest to people who are looking to pick these up to pick up the black pair if you sweat a lot. My foot sweat has made the tongue on mine start to go yellow on the edges. I really need to clean them.

Gym looks great Brolic. Perfect set up.

Yeah. I don't do 5/3/1 either. Sorry.

DOWN

Banned
Help ease my mind FitGAF: I'm doing a cheat day.

I work out from 2am-3:30am in the night normally, roughly finished 4-5 hours before I go to bed. Is it better to do the cheat day so that I'm doing the workout 10-12 hours after the bulk of the cheat meal? Or to do the workout, finish the night with a healthy diet, and then enjoy the cheat meal as my breakfast taking place roughly 12 hours after the workout and having slept?

I want to know which minimizes the collateral damage of my edible lust.

When I cheat I tend to start it with the workout, then eat. Honestly I don't think it maybe much difference though. I do that so my body is primed for the nutrients... it sounds like you're trying to offset the cheating, like it's bad.

It's not.

Bowser

When I cheat I tend to start it with the workout, then eat. Honestly I don't think it maybe much difference though. I do that so my body is primed for the nutrients... it sounds like you're trying to offset the cheating, like it's bad.

It's not.

This is how I do it as well.

I'm doing 5/3/1 pyramid and a variation of BBB and triumvirate as accessory work. What I did was ditch the 5x10 deadlifts and just add pause squats (so that I'm pretty much squatting 3 times a week). I'm also doing opposite compound BBBs for example I do squats 5/3/1 then do bench press 5x10 and vice versa. Maybe that can work for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom