• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azulsky

I'm thinking of dropping the Leg Press from Lower Body days, causing me knee discomfort something fierce. I shouldnt have to foam roll, use Salonpas and take NSAIDs.

Leg Day 1
  • 3x3-5 Back Squat
  • 2x6-10 Front Squat
  • 2x6-10 Leg Press
  • 3x5-8 Romanian Dead Lift
  • 2x6-10 Leg Curls
  • 2x20 Standing Calf Raise
  • 2x20 Seated Calf Raise
I'm thinking of just going to 5x3-5 on Back Squat and 3x6-10 Front Squats

Leg Day 2
  • 6x3 Back Squat Speed Set
  • 3x8-12 Front Squat
  • 2x12-15 Leg Press
  • 3x8-12 Romanian Dead Lift
  • 3x10-15 Leg Curls
  • 2x20 Seated Calf Raise
  • 2x20 Donkey Calf Raise

5x8-12 on Front Squats

I don't think there is a way to make up the actual volume because the Leg Press allows you to load so much more but that is probably what is causing the issue as well. I tried going down by a plate but i think its just the sled ROM is offset too close for my leg length and I cant adjust the distance on this model.

My other option is just accepting that I have enough quad stuff as is and working more on posterior chain than just RDL and the one isolation movement. I wish we had a GHD or Reverse Hyper. Can always start doing BB hip thrusts. Just fishing for ideas

despire

Yeah BB hip thrusts or glute bridges are recommended. Bret Contreras has written a lot about ass training.

Also they are easy to do after RDL's since you can just use the same bar which is already loaded.

GrapeApes

Looking at gyms is almost as bad as buying a new car, so many sleazy sales tactics.
One gym I was looking at kept fucking calling me. Put them on the straight to voicemail list. Next thing I know these fuckers start texting me. Finally got fed up and told them to kick rocks. That worked for like a year but they just called the other day. I normally just give a old number but somehow I gave my real number that day.

andycapps

Look no further.

Peanut Butter Ice Cream with Crunchy Peanut Butter Sugar Bits, Peanut Butter Cookies & a Peanut Butter Cookie Core

PeanutButtah_crosssection.png

Damn you. Wife and I were splitting the new core line and eating a little bit every night before we both started tracking our macros and buckling down. That looks amazing. I've had the Speculoos Cookie Core and that one is probably my favorite so far. The one with chocolate and mocha ice cream is really good too.

Brolic - Nice setup, looking to eventually get there as well. My rack is decent but it's not a full box setup like that. Picture below was from when I first got it, have mats and there are safety bars as well that are full adjustable by height that I have on there now. What I really want is a dip station and a cable setup for some isolation exercises. Will get there eventually. I also need to buy a lot more 45's, only have 300 lbs.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Damn you. Wife and I were splitting the new core line and eating a little bit every night before we both started tracking our macros and buckling down. That looks amazing. I've had the Speculoos Cookie Core and that one is probably my favorite so far. The one with chocolate and mocha ice cream is really good too.

Brolic - Nice setup, looking to eventually get there as well. My rack is decent but it's not a full box setup like that. I'll post a picture if I can find it.
It's so damn good to me. I don't want to build expectations up so high that it can't live up to them but I love PB and I love PB cookies. I rarely have two cheat nights in a row but seeing as my next one won't be for 7 days I went ahead and got another pint last night while the wife and I watched a movie. It's my go to flavor now. Second time was just as good!

GrizzNKev

Banned
Took this thread's recommendation on oblique work and they're sore for the first time in my life today. It feels fantastic, thanks gafferz

Haven't read the Beyond book so can't say for sure. What does it say? Does it say to do squats at the same intensity on wednesday as well?

Maybe do them lighter or do them some other day a bit further along from monday.

I just do normal 5/3/1, so i cannot help. Sorry.

Yeah. I don't do 5/3/1 either. Sorry.

Alright it was worth a try, thanks. I'm going to re-read beyond but I wanted to get some opinions in here before going into it. Looks like I know what I'm doing this weekend.

I'm doing 5/3/1 pyramid and a variation of BBB and triumvirate as accessory work. What I did was ditch the 5x10 deadlifts and just add pause squats (so that I'm pretty much squatting 3 times a week). I'm also doing opposite compound BBBs for example I do squats 5/3/1 then do bench press 5x10 and vice versa. Maybe that can work for you

Hmm I'll have to look into that, thank you. I think I'm going to run a deload next week too. Its been awhile and I feel tired and beat up right now. 3x3 @ 450 for dls today was rough. However I am getting more comfortable with sumos so thats cool.

Am I doing something wrong if ive developed a pain just to the right of my elbow joint? Its not on/in the joint but about an inch up my right arm.

entremet

is that wii fit trainer though.

No lol.

Am I doing something wrong if ive developed a pain just to the right of my elbow joint? Its not on/in the joint but about an inch up my right arm.

You could be progressing to heavier weights too quickly or not recovering enough.

Connective tissue takes longer to strengthen than muscle, so there could be a deficit there, causing the pain.

What's your program?

Again, that's just one theory, otherwise get it checked out.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
I was searching for information on front squat form and ran across this that brings me back to the LBBS vs. HBBS debate for Olympic Weightlifters:

http://startingstrength.com/articles/squat_rippetoe.pdf

Essentially, Mark Rippetoe recommends LBBS to go along with front squats. Even though I only do power cleans and not cleans, I'm at the point I want to try front squats once a week, between my LBBS sessions and see how it goes.

Starting tonight!

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Got that timer today.

It's an interval timer with two configurable, alternating time spans, on which expiry the timer either beeps or vibrates. Can be attached to your pants or to a belt.

ILoveBish

So far so good today. Weighed in at exactly 228.0 this morning, only down .2 but at least still going down. I might be starting my next 72 hour fast right now. Waiting to find out if we're having guests over or not this weekend. If not, what I ate today is it till Sunday 1pm.

Gym went great, deload week and got 230x10 on squats for my light AMRAP set. That's over my body weight for 10 on 1750 calories and I still had plenty in the tank. Feeling really good.

So far so good today. Weighed in at exactly 228.0 this morning, only down .2 but at least still going down. I might be starting my next 72 hour fast right now. Waiting to find out if we're having guests over or not this weekend. If not, what I ate today is it till Sunday 1pm.

Wasn't your last one just a couple of weeks ago, or has time flown?

Ladies night for farmer handles. My wife is inviting some of her friends to take the handles for a spin.

Crikey!

mdsfx

CHEAT DAY! My friend who has been doing very well losing weight is going on vacation tomorrow so we had an epic lunch as a cheat meal today.

We went to Au Cheval downtown (Chicago) and, besides a nice hefeweizen, we ordered this beauty that they are apparently famous for:

Double-patty cheeseburger with 2 thick slabs of bacon and a fried egg. OMG YES.

Pretty sure I got my day's calories in on that lunch. I can still feel the fat coursing through my veins.

entremet

CHEAT DAY! My friend who has been doing very well losing weight is going on vacation tomorrow so we had an epic lunch as a cheat meal today.

We went to Au Cheval downtown (Chicago) and, besides a nice hefeweizen, we ordered this beauty that they are apparently famous for:

Pretty sure I got my day's calories in on that lunch. I can still feel the fat coursing through my veins.
Did the burger stay intact lol.

I've noticed that thicker burgers tend to spill over.

UrAvgGuy

Definitely epic, will have to remember the name so I can them a try.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick

That bacon, oh man. Eggs on burgers is already pretty damn good. Do that at home all the time, great boost in protein.

Au Cheval isn't downtown, that's my neighborhood, the West Loop! Haha. Looks good though.

ILoveBish

I tried eggs on burger, not a fan sadly.

And found out i have guests saturday, so will likely not be able to do my 72 hour fast this weekend. I might just fast as long as i can instead lol. We'll see, last time i ate was 1pm today (thursday), guests come over saturday around 2 or so pm. I could do 48+ hours easily. Might as well.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Is it probable that front squats impacted my dumbbell shoulder press just now? I'm missing reps, and I know front squats hit upper back.

mdsfx

Looks awesome.

Definitely epic, will have to remember the name so I can them a try.

That bacon, oh man. Eggs on burgers is already pretty damn good. Do that at home all the time, great boost in protein.

I love eggs on burgers. This seemed to take it to another level. Not sure what was on the thing, but man... awesome.

Au Cheval isn't downtown, that's my neighborhood, the West Loop! Haha. Looks good though.

It's downtown compared to where i live (Naperville)! :) Side note: I miss living in the city

Chocobro

That's actually reassuring. The front squats were a fun break from back squats, it would suck to program around the press.

Assuming you're using the clean grip instead of the cross-arm, just loosen up your triceps if you're front squatting after benching or pressing. It helps enough to get the proper front rack position.
If I had the choice, I would FS first, but it's not how it is programmed in a version of GSLP.

Yuterald

First-time posting in this thread, although I've been lurking now for maybe a month or so. Over the past two years, I've been taking fitness more seriously and I completely changed my eating habits/behaviors. Two or so years ago, I was at 250 (my max), and the lowest I got through diet and exercise was 170 (about 1/2 a year ago). I'm now sitting at a nice 180, looking to continue to build strength, but not necessarily put on weight (although, I don't care if I do, as long as my waist/pant-size stays the same). So, I'm 5'11 @ 180, looking to put on lean mass, I think.

My diet currently consists of...

Meal-related items:
-97-99% lean chicken breast (usually cooked with pam & a little worcestershire steak sauce, for flavor)
-brown rice
-Ezekiel bread/pockets (with brown rice, lean chicken, and a little portioned cheese and zero calorie/no sugar hot sauce)

Work/office weekly convenience items:
-Quest bars
-Combat Crunch bars
-Quest chips
-Corazona's oatmeal squares
-Whey protein powder (Gold Standard), mixed with almond mix, mainly post workout.

Something I need to cut back on, trying to do just once a week now:
-Taking the lean chicken, making chicken salad out of it with mayonnaise and dipping the Quest chips into it. It's so good, but the mayo is killing me.

Workout:
At least 3x a week, usually every other day. I can detail what I've been exactly in my next post, but I've primarily been running machine weights, looking to transition to free-weights, as soon as possible. Focusing on compound muscle groups and doing very little, if any isolation sets. Basically, 5x5 chest/row on one day, push/pull and leg press on second day. Rest in-between those days or I use a rest day for cardio/core-stuff.

StrongLifts:
A few weeks ago, I started a 5x5 chest press and squat routine followed by a 5x1 deadlift, but stopped after 2 weeks or so after realizing my form was messed up on the squat. I didn't want to go any further with any of the other exercises because I didn't want to make progress in one over the other. Big issue for me was having the bar lean forward when squatting (not staying in position/lined up to the middle of my foot) during the actual squat. Was also getting some butt-wink (going too low?). I just generally have bad form and it's really frustrating. Youtube videos and website research can only get you so far. Been doing it with my brother and we're both having the same issue. Next step seems like to get to an actual real gym/find a trainer to show proper form/technique (I currently belong to Planet Fitness), but I'm stubborn and want to do that as a last resort!

entremet

First-time posting in this thread, although I've been lurking now for maybe a month or so. Over the past two years, I've been taking fitness more seriously and I completely changed my eating habits/behaviors. Two or so years ago, I was at 250 (my max), and the lowest I got through diet and exercise was 170 (about 1/2 a year ago). I'm now sitting at a nice 180, looking to continue to build strength, but not necessarily put on weight (although, I don't care if I do, as long as my waist/pant-size stays the same). So, I'm 5'11 @ 180, looking to put on lean mass, I think.

My diet currently consists of...

Meal-related items:
-97-99% lean chicken breast (usually cooked with pam & a little worcestershire steak sauce, for flavor)
-brown rice
-Ezekiel bread/pockets (with brown rice, lean chicken, and a little portioned cheese and zero calorie/no sugar hot sauce)

Work/office weekly convenience items:
-Quest bars
-Combat Crunch bars
-Quest chips
-Corazona's oatmeal squares
-Whey protein powder (Gold Standard), mixed with almond mix, mainly post workout.

Something I need to cut back on, trying to do just once a week now:
-Taking the lean chicken, making chicken salad out of it with mayonnaise and dipping the Quest chips into it. It's so good, but the mayo is killing me.

Workout:
At least 3x a week, usually every other day. I can detail what I've been exactly in my next post, but I've primarily been running machine weights, looking to transition to free-weights, as soon as possible. Focusing on compound muscle groups and doing very little, if any isolation sets. Basically, 5x5 chest/row on one day, push/pull and leg press on second day. Rest in-between those days or I use a rest day for cardio/core-stuff.

StrongLifts:
A few weeks ago, I started a 5x5 chest press and squat routine followed by a 5x1 deadlift, but stopped after 2 weeks or so after realizing my form was messed up on the squat. I didn't want to go any further with any of the other exercises because I didn't want to make progress in one over the other. Big issue for me was having the bar lean forward when squatting (not staying in position/lined up to the middle of my foot) during the actual squat. Was also getting some butt-wink (going too low?). I just generally have bad form and it's really frustrating. Youtube videos and website research can only get you so far. Been doing it with my brother and we're both having the same issue. Next step seems like to get to an actual real gym/find a trainer to show proper form/technique (I currently belong to Planet Fitness), but I'm stubborn and want to do that as a last resort!

Great work on the weight loss.

If you're at Planet Fitness you most liklye don't have access to a real squat rack. You're probably using a Smith machine for squats.

Smith machine Squats are terrrrrible. They limit your natural movement.

Bodybuilders love them to blast their quads doing quarter squats at super heavy weights, but generally if you're gonna squat for real, you'll need an authentic setup.

Until you change gyms, I would just do lunges and split squats using dumbbells.

despire

Getting lean(er) and mean(er). Cleaned up my food intake a bit for feeding days and Eat Stop Eat is starting to work it's magic much faster. Abs are coming out bit by bit.

Been eating a bit too much on my feed days lately, which has offset some of the fat loss from fasting, resulting in a lower pace than I would've hoped. Now it seems to be working much better. And maybe getting leaner helps too..

Anyway I like that I can eat normally on feeding days and only having to diet 2-3 days a week.

ILoveBish

Getting lean(er) and mean(er). Cleaned up my food intake a bit for feeding days and Eat Stop Eat is starting to work it's magic much faster. Abs are coming out bit by bit.

Been eating a bit too much on my feed days lately, which has offset some of the fat loss from fasting, resulting in a lower pace than I would've hoped. Now it seems to be working much better. And maybe getting leaner helps too..

Anyway I like that I can eat normally on feeding days and only having to diet 2-3 days a week.

Can you give me a run down of ESE? Googled around a bit and didn't find much i thought was good guide wise or overview wise. Always up to learn more.

Yuterald

Great work on the weight loss.

If you're at Planet Fitness you most liklye don't have access to a real squat rack. You're probably using a Smith machine for squats.

Smith machine Squats are terrrrrible. They limit your natural movement.

Bodybuilders love them to blast their quads doing quarter squats at super heavy weights, but generally if you're gonna squat for real, you'll need an authentic setup.

Until you change gyms, I would just do lunges and split squats using dumbbells.

Thanks! We've actually invested in some home gear. Got a bench press machine that has racks and an Olympic barbell (although, I think it's a 35lb instead of 45?). Just got a power tower, too. I actually haven't touched a Smith machine, yet. I think I was trying low bar squats and it just wasn't happening, so I may stick to high bar until I get the form down. Need to work on my balance, too. Been practicing on an empty bar as well. I don't even care about how much I lift at this point, I just want to do one properly, ha!

One gym I was looking at kept fucking calling me. Put them on the straight to voicemail list. Next thing I know these fuckers start texting me. Finally got fed up and told them to kick rocks. That worked for like a year but they just called the other day. I normally just give a old number but somehow I gave my real number that day.

Rookie error. I'll have to put in the old SIM card and see how many missed calls/messages I have from gyms.

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
Can you give me a run down of ESE? Googled around a bit and didn't find much i thought was good guide wise or overview wise. Always up to learn more.

I did it once and got really lean but I found it hard to maintain because it was before I knew anything about macros.. Essentially you go on a 24 hr fast, it could be once or twice a week depending how aggressive of a cut you want to go on.

The rule is simple if you had dinner on Monday(ex_) at 8 pm then on the 24 hour fast you will have nothing until Tuesday at 8 pm. Once Tuesday 8pm roles around you just have a typical dinner as if you did not do your 24 hour fast.

Essentially it is just an extended intermittent fasting protocol where at the end of the day you have a "normal meal", that would be roughly 1/3 of the days calories.

I reiterate that I had very good results from it and did not really feel like I was dieting but I do not think you can maintain this cut for a prolonged period of time. After I got to my goal I later went back up in weight fairly quickly but it was because I was ignorant on how to calculate macros. I might do this again now that I have a greater understanding! Totally forgot about this diet.

Edit: If doing the 24 hr fast twice a week. You cannot do them back to back you should generally wait two days between them.

entremet

ESE method of fasting pretty nice during busy work days since you don't have to worry about eating.

I prefer doing daily 8 hour feeding fasts though. Easier to get into the habit.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Assuming you're using the clean grip instead of the cross-arm, just loosen up your triceps if you're front squatting after benching or pressing. It helps enough to get the proper front rack position.
If I had the choice, I would FS first, but it's not how it is programmed in a version of GSLP.

I usually squat first. Using the clean grip for front squats, and it felt fine. The movement felt way more natural than I was expecting, actually:

Worked up to 2x5x135 and 1x8x135, last three reps paused. Probably going to bump this up 10 or 15 lbs next week.

Lost one rep on db press. If I don't hit 3x5 next workout it's time to reset again.

Power cleans I got 4x1 and 1x0 at 155lbs, a new PR. Not discouraged, as I advanced to 5x3 the next workout in a similar situation at 150lbs.

I did a lot of reading on SS programming, and I think I'm ready to try alternating deadlifts and power cleans again. It might be too much deadlifting to move up each workout, but it should be worth a shot and better than doing rows every third workout as I have been. If it doesn't work out I might try good mornings instead of the rows.

despire

It's like others said. Once or twice a week (you can do it more often for faster results but 1-2 is the original protocol) you take a ~24hr break from eating. You can decide yourself the time and day so it's very flexible. It can be a different day every week if needed. Dinner to dinner, breakfast to breakfast or lunch to lunch are some of the options. I think the author Brad Pilon has a pretty good attitude towards food and dieting: Eat responsibly and enjoy yourself. Don't demonize foods for no reason. Just remember to sometimes take a short break from eating. I think it has relaxed my attitude towards cutting as well.

I fast on rest days and not back to back (except when I tried that 48hr fast for fun). I go to the gym on Mon, Wed and Fri so I normally fast on Tue and/or Thur and/or Sun, depending on the circumstances. If I can fast 2-3 times, I'll do that. If not, then I'll do 1x week. If for some reason I can't fast on some day, then I won't. So like I said it's flexible and you can fit it to your own schedule. Of course fasting like this will impede recovery somewhat but I feel like I've gained a little muscle here and there. And I do this to lose fat so I don't expect to make huge gains.

So I normally do supper to supper fast, from 9pm to 9pm. Important thing is to forget about the fast after you break it. Just act like it never happened and don't reward yourself. I just eat my normal supper, which comes around 500 kcal or so. On feeding days I eat normally, no IF whatsoever unless I'm not hungry in the morning. I keep my calories around my TDEE or slightly above on lifting days as well. I get my carbs and protein and fat.

So In theory I'm at maintenance or gaining 3-4 days a week and on a deficit 2-3 days a week. Should hopefully allow to make some small gains on those higher calorie days, while burning fat on fasting days. Basically recomping. After I'm done with cutting and my BF% is somewhere around 12% or so, I will drop the fasting days to 0-1 per week for a lean bulk. This should hopefully allow to make gains while burning any excess fat during that one fasting day, which will probably be sunday. Normally I gain fat very rapidly after cutting because apparently my body can't wait to get back to the fatso set point. Hopefully this will allow to make more lean gains.

My fat loss on this hasn't exactly been fast. It's actually been very gradual. Though I think most of it has had to do with eating too much extra on feeding days. Seems to be working better now. Though I like it that I don't necessarily have to stress or limit myself on different types of foods those feeding days. If my GF wants to get a pizza, it's not a problem as long as it's not every day. I just try to eat responsibly most of the time :)

The ESE book is highly recommended and probably the best researched source of info on IF there is. Just don't be scared of the website which looks like some terrible snake oil peddlers site :D

I like it because:
A) I lose fat and make small gains
B) It's relaxed and flexible
C) Fasting comes naturally to me
D) I don't have to stress about the foods I eat so much
E) Doesn't feel like dieting

Edit:
Sent you a PM bish

Good stuff. Eat Stop Eat is easily one of the definitive sources for not only fasting information, but integration into your lifestyle. If you're not feeling like you're dieting while you're losing weight then that's about as good as it gets, I'd say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom