• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Fatty McButterpants

Overheard someone call me a juicer at the gym while I was mid set doing squats. I should have whipped my belly out in protest.

phcDIhe.jpg

nubcake

Neo Member
Hey guys how effective is weighted vest training? Like wearing it to use the stairmaster and just walking/jogging in general

They had a 40lb weighted vest at my rock climbing gym and it was pretty crazy how much difference it made. Definitely felt it in my core later too.

ILoveBish

45 hours into the fast, weigh'd in at 225.2, down 2.4lbs. I'll be going up in weight tomorrow for sure with all the stuff im eating today lol.

I did it!! I'm 200lbs!! I haven't been this weight since March 2013 and I was waaaay weaker then.

Congrats man, almost in Onederland.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Sean entering the 100s and Bish entering a new evolved human state of not needing to eat. Dis thread be going places!

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Reconfirmed that deadlifts twice a week is too much for me. I'll be experimenting with good mornings next workout.

Also, finally moving to 85s next db bench workout!

UrAvgGuy

I did it!! I'm 200lbs!! I haven't been this weight since March 2013 and I was waaaay weaker then.

congrats buddy!

Sean entering the 100s and Bish entering a new evolved human state of not needing to eat. Dis thread be going places!

lol lets not forget your epic cheat days and still being able to retain your throne as thor. btw I grabbed some b&j peanut buttah, can't wait until later today to devour it.

Cooter

lol lets not forget your epic cheat days and still being able to retain your throne as thor. btw I grabbed some b&j peanut buttah, can't wait until later today to devour it.
Haha. I'm not giving up this throne willingly!

You're in for a treat! Let me know what you think. I'm already plannig my next ice cream binge. I think next time instead of getting two different flavors I will just buy two pints of Peanut Buttah.

Bowser

Hit a deadlift PR today, 315x1 at 145 lbs. Pretty stoked given 3 plates was a big mental goal for me. Celebrated with a garlic bagel stuffed with eggs, cheddar, and sriracha...mmmm.

entremet

Good stuff!

I'm heading there soon. Like you it took me a while to figure out dieting. Good to see you persevere, I remember when you were plateauing, but you never gave up.

Cooter

Good stuff!

I'm heading there soon. Like you it took me a while to figure out dieting. Good to see you persevere, I remember when you were plateauing, but you never gave up.
Sean's journey is one of my favorite ones here. Big. Small. Big. Shredded!

It does seem like one day your diet and what is needed to achieve your goal just clicks one day. After that it seems too simple and you look back wondering why it took so long.

SeanR1221

Thanks guys I love how supportive this community is :)

It took 6 months but it's worth it for how much better I feel.

Strength still staying pretty good too. Pulled a 425 deadlift today

Cooter

Thanks guys I love how supportive this community is :)

It took 6 months but it's worth it for how much better I feel.

Strength still staying pretty good too. Pulled a 425 deadlift today
Another reason I love deadlifts, as I dropped weight it didn't decrease at all. It appears that's the case for you too.

sphinx

the piano man
Hey guys how effective is weighted vest training? Like wearing it to use the stairmaster and just walking/jogging in general

I have one and reported here on it a while ago.

as entrement said, it helps with bodyweight exercises. A TON

specially Pull-ups, it helped me get past 15 reps, I now do 17 unassisted unweighted. It's a very very useful tool but it is a real pain in the ass to carry around hehe

12 pounds isn't much weight (5 kilos), but when you put it in your gym bag its very annoying.

exercises where you can us it are:

Pullups
Pistol squats,
Push-ups
Dips,

entremet

Sean's journey is one of my favorite ones here. Big. Small. Big. Shredded!

It does seem like one day your diet and what is needed to achieve your goal just clicks one day. After that it seems too simple and you look back wondering why it took so long.

I think that's why lifters should think of this as a journey, full of ups and downs.

Lifting has taught many things that are applicable to the real world.

-The importance of consistency
-Persevering through plateaus
-Trying new things when things aren't working out
-The importance of positive people and community in attaining your goals.

GrapeApes

Any chalk recommendation? The last one I bought from Amazon is turning out to be a dud especially on heavy deadlifts. I got some from Dicks before that but not really trying to pay 8 bucks for 4 oz of chalk if I can help it.

sphinx

the piano man
a regular from my gym, very very advanced, looks like a guy that should appear in a bodybuilding magazine, wanted too take turns on the power rack and I said yes

I was warming up OHP with an empty bar and at the end he says "One more rep! you got it man!" I was like "oh shut up, I am 37 year old grandpa" and we both laughed. He didn't come off as bullying or being mean.

The guy is 19, has the gains of like 15 years and claims he won the junior german bodybuilding championship, I googled that and I don't see him so who knows. Said he started lifting 3 years ago without a coach,..so basically me minus the 10 year gains lol.

he tried 80 kgs OHP and failed but it seemed possible, that would have destroyed my wrists and arms so the guy is definitely strong juice or not. for once I felt like fitting in so that's nice

UrAvgGuy

Haha. I'm not giving up this throne willingly!

You're in for a treat! Let me know what you think. I'm already plannig my next ice cream binge. I think next time instead of getting two different flavors I will just buy two pints of Peanut Buttah.

Man you weren't kidding, stuff is god tier and especially so for pb lovers. I'm at about half pint and I may go back for more lol shit is addicting. Every bite is like a small blast of pb but when I get a piece of that core I'm just like...

GrizzNKev

Banned

Amazing work Sean. I know my contents towards you about your weight a while back were rude, and I'm sorry. It's so good to see you shedding those pounds, especially since I know I'm in for a challenge when I reach my first cut.

Cooter

Man you weren't kidding, stuff is god tier and especially so for pb lovers. I'm at about half pint and I may go back for more lol shit is addicting. Every bite is like a small blast of pb but when I get a piece of that core I'm just like...
Exactly how I feel! I find myself telling everyone so they will go buy it and in turn make it a regular flavor. It would be a sad day if it got discontinued. Glad you enjoyed it.

Yukiari

Heyo! Question incoming!

I'm down a lot of weight over a year period and I know sag is going to happen but I was wondering what kind of weight lifting exercises can I do to tone up the under arm area? Like the flappy part there >.>. Can that even be toned up?

entremet

Heyo! Question incoming!

I'm down a lot of weight over a year period and I know sag is going to happen but I was wondering what kind of weight lifting exercises can I do to tone up the under arm area? Like the flappy part there >.>. Can that even be toned up?
Toning basically means having low body fat, which is achieveable via dieting.

Your best bet is to build muscle now.

If you're skinny and not "toned" lack of muscle mass is the likely culprit.

Your flab could also be loose skin.

Yukiari

Toning basically means having low body fat, which is achieveable via dieting.

Your best bet is to build muscle now.

If you're skinny and not "toned" lack of muscle mass is the likely culprit.

Your flab could also be loose skin.

Thanks for the reply, It may be just a bit of both but I haven't actually started any strength training yet so I guess I'll see if I can fill in some of this skin with muscle :)

Azulsky

Heyo! Question incoming!

If you are referring the the tricep then its pretty much any pushing movement.

Its not really a matter of filling it out just stretching it by enlarging other areas. There is not much actual muscle right there when you externally rotate your shoulder, just the long head of the tricep. The same thing applies for the skin between the bicep and the elbow.

I have had some of 'tightening' of that area by working hard on my shoulders and back.

Yukiari

If you are referring the the tricep then its pretty much any pushing movement.

Its not really a matter of filling it out just stretching it by enlarging other areas. There is not much actual muscle right there when you externally rotate your shoulder, just the long head of the tricep. The same thing applies for the skin between the bicep and the elbow.

I have had some of 'tightening' of that area by working hard on my shoulders and back.

I'm talking about that! I want to wear some tank tops. lol

Yukiari

lose some more fat or wear some looser tank tops

or "wider" if that makes any sense.

I start weight lifting tomorrow so I guess losing more fat can happen. I'm a little scared because I hurt myself when I tried the free weights alone and went back to my cardio. Hopefully I wont screw up this time.

I start weight lifting tomorrow so I guess losing more fat can happen. I'm a little scared because I hurt myself when I tried the free weights alone and went back to my cardio. Hopefully I wont screw up this time.

Take it nice and simple and don't be afraid to ask for help and make mistakes. You muscle quest starts now. Time to get yoked.

YAH BAYBAY!

entremet

Start super light and focus on form for a good few weeks before adding weight to the bar.

If you can afford a trainer to teach the basics, do that.

Just provide him or her with the exercises you want to learn.

Yukiari

I think hiring someone might be the best way to go about it. I'm going to hit the gym tomorrow and talk to them. Thank you guys.

Cooter

I think hiring someone might be the best way to go about it. I'm going to hit the gym tomorrow and talk to them. Thank you guys.
If you do hire a trainer make it very clear upfront before you sign any contracts that you are ONLY interested in learning the major compound movements. Don't let them run some whack routine on you. You'll end up wasting your time and money.

Fatty McButterpants

Overheard someone call me a juicer at the gym while I was mid set doing squats. I should have whipped my belly out in protest.

totally missed out on this, looking wide as ever.

Just lean out a bit man, just enough so you have "fat man abs"

youd be such a beast.

Leeness

Haven't lost in a couple weeks now. Nooooooo. Just hovering.

I'm still lighter than I have been since I was probably 13 though, so that's nice. Hopefully it will get moving again though. I need to get really strict again, cut back on my Splenda/salt/soy sauce.

Go go go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom