• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

andycapps

Im doing the 40/30/30 where 30% of my xalories come from fat. I want the protein from eggs for breakfast but dont necessarily want fat that Ill get later in the day.

I have to do a similar thing, and I'm doing 40/30/30 as well. This weekend I did 2 whole eggs, then one egg white, 1/4 cup mozzerella cheese, some hot sauce on top, half an avocado on top, and some cilantro on top. Little turkey bacon on the side and a piece of Ezekiel bread toast with some butter and that was a decent breakfast. I really prefer regular bacon, but trying to fit whole eggs in there with fat limitations makes it a little trickier.

Down to 229 lbs this morning, but not like this. Caught some sort of cold. Body is sore and ate okay on Saturday but had practically nothing yesterday. I had a scone this morning but at this point, I don't care. I need carbs. Feele like my body is shrinking and eating itself.

Worst part about all of this is it hurts to swallow. I just want to drink ice cold water and even that is a struggle =/

SeanR1221

I have to do a similar thing, and I'm doing 40/30/30 as well. This weekend I did 2 whole eggs, then one egg white, 1/4 cup mozzerella cheese, some hot sauce on top, half an avocado on top, and some cilantro on top. Little turkey bacon on the side and a piece of Ezekiel bread toast with some butter and that was a decent breakfast. I really prefer regular bacon, but trying to fit whole eggs in there with fat limitations makes it a little trickier.

I tend to eat a large chunk of my fat in the morning and time my carbs around my workout.

So for breakfast I'll usually have 2-3 eggs plus egg whites and bacon.

But then at lunch/dinner I'll have more carbs with fat coming from a little olive oil.

Protein is consistent throughout the day.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Oh yeah, I thought I recognized you from this picture. Stop swatting at bi-planes at work. It's bad for your health.

KingKongAngryFEATURE.gif

Lmao

Looks like Brolic

andycapps

I tend to eat a large chunk of my fat in the morning and time my carbs around my workout.

So for breakfast I'll usually have 2-3 eggs plus egg whites and bacon.

But then at lunch/dinner I'll have more carbs with fat coming from a little olive oil.

Protein is consistent throughout the day.

I try to do the same with protein. I haven't been as much of a stickler with carbs and fat as far as timing, just try to hit my numbers for the day. What you're saying is probably advantageous to have more carbs after the workout, but I think my workouts would suffer too much if I didn't have enough carbs beforehand. And that's with drinking black coffee beforehand.

Will be nice when I'm done cutting to not have to worry about carbs as much. I get a decent amount, but I don't see how people on keto do it.

SeanR1221

I try to do the same with protein. I haven't been as much of a stickler with carbs and fat as far as timing, just try to hit my numbers for the day. What you're saying is probably advantageous to have more carbs after the workout, but I think my workouts would suffer too much if I didn't have enough carbs beforehand. And that's with drinking black coffee beforehand.

Will be nice when I'm done cutting to not have to worry about carbs as much. I get a decent amount, but I don't see how people on keto do it.

Oh I definitely have carbs before working out.

If I'm eating 200g In a day, I might have like 40 pre, 30 during (Gatorade), 30 immediately after and then 40 for dinner after that. The rest would be made up throughout the day.

squall211

Does anyone here use pushup bars?

I've never used them, but doing pushups is starting to take it's toll on my fingers & my wrists. The last day I did pushups my left index finger was incredibly sore, and continued to be very sore for a couple of days after. I think now is the time to give these things a try. I see a bunch of different kinds advertised, but is there any that are really a notch above the others?

andycapps

Oh I definitely have carbs before working out.

If I'm eating 200g In a day, I might have like 40 pre, 30 during (Gatorade), 30 immediately after and then 40 for dinner after that. The rest would be made up throughout the day.

Oh okay, so we're doing about the same thing then. Good deal.

Does anyone here use pushup bars?

I've never used them, but doing pushups is starting to take it's toll on my fingers & my wrists. The last day I did pushups my left index finger was incredibly sore, and continued to be very sore for a couple of days after. I think now is the time to give these things a try. I see a bunch of different kinds advertised, but is there any that are really a notch above the others?

How many pushups are you doing? Are you Herschel Walker?

SeanR1221

I've always said I'm done reaching out to people at the gym and I broke my rule and remembered why I stopped doing this.

Was working in with a guy squatting (while I front squatted). He went from 135-225-315 doing tons of reps at each point. Not a single one was parallel but he was about 3/4 there and you could tell he was strong because his back never caved and he remained tight.

He completely disregarded my advice to try going lower to hit parallel and told me its all mental and if you think what you're doing works, it will work. I left it with people get very good at bad habits which he looked pissed about but oh well.

Chocobro

That reminds me of what one of the staff wrote at the gym next to the power racks. Too bad it was gone after two or three weeks. I still took a picture of it though.

But yeah, only recently I started talking to a few guys at the gym when they're together. They all work at the gym and knows their stuff; pretty nice to be able to talk about (Olympic) weightlifting instead of powerlifting for once. Other than that, I go in and then out, never talk to people about form and technique.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Mannn, why do people eat chicken breast when skinless chicken thigh fillets exist (deboned)?. Ok, ok, big difference in fat levels even without the skin but thighs taste so much better, and are cheaper.

I'm going to go with "big difference in fat levels".

Besides, when you're talking about spicing the meat properly, there's not that much advantage to thighs.

ILoveBish

Mannn, why do people eat chicken breast when skinless chicken thigh fillets exist (deboned)?. Ok, ok, big difference in fat levels even without the skin but thighs taste so much better, and are cheaper.

I like breast taste way more. I know thigh has more fat but it's not as tasty to me.

I've always said I'm done reaching out to people at the gym and I broke my rule and remembered why I stopped doing this.

Was working in with a guy squatting (while I front squatted). He went from 135-225-315 doing tons of reps at each point. Not a single one was parallel but he was about 3/4 there and you could tell he was strong because his back never caved and he remained tight.

He completely disregarded my advice to try going lower to hit parallel and told me its all mental and if you think what you're doing works, it will work. I left it with people get very good at bad habits which he looked pissed about but oh well.
lol. i have people that think that way.
i wish more people talked to me ;(

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I like breast taste way more. I know thigh has more fat but it's not as tasty to me.

I guess it's due to my love of fried chicken. You can approximate the taste of pan fried chicken thighs by broiling it without added oils or fat. Gets nice and crispy.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Needed to grind out some frustration at the gym after some real life things not working out so well. Must've helped cause I hit a deadlift and squat PR, though I felt nauseous and half dead afterwards lol. Worth it.

ILoveBish

Gym went great today. Hit squats with 5x230, 5x265, 5x300 with a cooldown AMRAP of 7x230. After gym pump, abs poking out nicely. Already back to my 1750 calorie setup.

Road to 200s.

Someone called me dumb today.

I was talking to someone I knew in high school who was at the squat rack. I guess I was standing to the side at one point, in between two squat racks

when I was walking away one guy told me I dodged a bullet because the guy at the rack beside me was removing 45 lbs weights from one side, implying that I could have been hit. He sounded pretty nice but then added

"I dont know how dumb you have to be to be standing there" :(

I know I'm totally new but I guess I was being an idiot and should be more careful, but I dont look forward to seeing that guy again

I just said "uh, thanks, Ill be more careful"

Someone called me dumb today.

I was talking to someone I knew in high school who was at the squat rack. I guess I was standing to the side at one point, in between two squat racks

when I was walking away one guy told me I dodged a bullet because the guy at the rack beside me was removing 45 lbs weights from one side, implying that I could have been hit. He sounded pretty nice but then added

"I dont know how dumb you have to be to be standing there" :(

I know I'm totally new but I guess I was being an idiot and should be more careful, but I dont look forward to seeing that guy again

I just said "uh, thanks, Ill be more careful"

well to be fair. if youre back is to the other rack you never know when the other guy is trying to unrack/rack. i know he should have said something but you should have moved to the other side or the other side away from the area so they can do their thing.

i know the one at LA fitness it's pretty small fit between two rack so it would be dumb to stand there unless youre adding/removing weights. it's like getting gangbanged from both sides if you stand there though. if both racks are occupado.

well to be fair. if youre back is to the other rack you never know when the other guy is trying to unrack/rack. i know he should have said something but you should have moved to the other side or the other side away from the area so they can do their thing.

i know the one at LA fitness it's pretty small fit between two rack so it would be dumb to stand there unless youre adding/removing weights. it's like getting gangbanged from both sides if you stand there though. if both racks are occupado.

I know he's right. It was more of a wakeup call to be more aware. I wasn't thinking that someone would be removing weights and that it could hit me since the bar is suspended by another machine. I dont think the barbell can lopside and fall over, but I guess I dont know.

I was a bit nervous going to the squat rack for the first time, but I'll make sure to not be so stupid next time.

Edit: Actually, I am pretty certain I was most definitely not that squeezed in at all. I was just off to the side, behind my friend doing the squat. But I guess he saw something I didn't, so I'm going to try and be more careful.

Nelo Ice

Banned
So past 2 weeks realized my squat wasn't where I thought it was since I was squatting deep enough. Have to lower it again this week for 5/3/1 :(. But the good news is today I got 110x3 on OHP!. Was so freaking psyched. The first time I've ever pressed 110 lbs and I was shocked to see I got more than 1 :D.

I feel like a pressing a plate at least once is in my future before the end of the year.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Deloaded perfectly. Felt awesome today, glad I'm onto something.

Broke my rack in proper today. On video front squat 285x3, 270x7 and SSB 305x5.

Front squat: bar x 5, 135x5, 160x5, 190x3, 210x5, 240x5, 270x7, 285x3, 210x5,5.

SSB: 255x5, 305x5,3

SSB GM: 165x5,5.

Prowler push 4 trips.

https://youtu.be/04aaoOXJQGk

Kawl_USC

Joker Set of Squats - Aiming for 3, got 6

Was hoping for some form check/advice from you guys. Switched over to 5/3/1 BBB from SS a month and a half ago. Feeling good with the progress and the change of pace. This was for my joker set of 3 @ 305. I'm a little concerned over the bar path coming up. Think I could work on being a little more controlled in the hole and keeping my chest up on the way up. But like I said, I would appreciate the feedback.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Another mixed bag. Tied a set PR, set a couple reps PRs, but didn't hit all targets for anything:

2x5x62.5s (PR) dumbbell ohp, 1x3x62.5s
1x5x230 (ties PR), 2x5x215 squats
1x1x155, 1x0x155, 2x3x140, 1x4x140 (PR) power cleans

Pushed good mornings to "deadlift day". Here's the new routine:

A:
3x5 LBBS (AMRAP last set, paused after 5)
3x5 Dumbbell OHP
5x3 Power Cleans
Accessories (face pulls, side lateral raises, reverse curls, explosive pull-ups)

B:
3x5 LBBS (AMRAP last set, paused after 5)
3x5 Dumbbell bench press
1x5 deadlift/ 5x8 good mornings (alternate)
3x5 weighted chins

Every third squat workout, swap with front squats.

Going to try running this every other day, see if it helps me break through.

I'm actually pretty proud of myself, I've been doing week long workouts for about 4 weeks now and I'm seeing a pretty big difference! I think I've lost 5 pounds and gained some good muscle! ^_^ Anyone know any good cardio apps btw, I think I keep under preforming when I go running, might be alot better to have something give me the clear go when I should sprint or when I should be walking.

Damnit. I've only just noticed that MFP does carbs the annoying American way. Crappy that there isn't a setting to just get net carbs out of it. =/

Going to end up having to manually do values for everything I eat.

Wont work, because most of the values I use are put in by Brits, and that data is already minus the fibre.

It's the baseline stuff that's screwing me. Like generic veg, or things like quest bars.

SeanR1221

Deloaded perfectly. Felt awesome today, glad I'm onto something.

Broke my rack in proper today. On video front squat 285x3, 270x7 and SSB 305x5.

Front squat: bar x 5, 135x5, 160x5, 190x3, 210x5, 240x5, 270x7, 285x3, 210x5,5.

SSB: 255x5, 305x5,3

SSB GM: 165x5,5.

Prowler push 4 trips.

https://youtu.be/04aaoOXJQGk

Nice! Since I can't back squat easily I've been front squatting a lot more. It's crazy how much harder it is and how uncomfortable you feel with the bar pressing against your neck. Did 225x3 and then back off sets at 85% and I felt fried.

Kopite

Any thoughts on doing bench press without a spot?
New to the gym, but I've had good progress on my bench presses till yesterday. Couldn't lift the bar back on to the holsters after my final rep, luckily some random guy managed to come and help me just before I dropped the bar on to my chest. It happened again later when I was doing close grip bench presses to work my triceps but since it was a much lighter weight I managed to lay it down on my waist stomach.

Wont work, because most of the values I use are put in by Brits, and that data is already minus the fibre.

It's the baseline stuff that's screwing me. Like generic veg, or things like quest bars.

Ah you're mixing, gotcha. If you search instead of scan there are "net carb" entries for a lot of things.

Hey guys, I have very little free time in my weeks, and whatever time I can get, I don't want to spend cooking, so I came up with a 0-prep time diet, wondering what you guys think. I know some people say don't eat the same thing every day, but this is actually really good, is there a particular reason not to eat the same stuff all the time?

6'2, 171lbs, 13%bf. Looking to get down to 8-10% bf.

Work days goal:
170g protein
40g fat
280g carbs
2200 cals

Breakfast: Quest protein bar, 20g protein, 25g carbs, 5g fats

AM: Ham slices, 15g protein, 5g carbs, 2g fats
Pineapple slices (x5), 2g protein, 40g carbs, 0g fats

Lunch: Quest protein bar x2, 40g protein, 50g carbs, 10g fats

PM: Mixed berries, 0g protein, 15g carbs, 0g fats
Quest protein bar, 20g protein, 25g carbs, 5g fats

Pre-workout: banana x2, 2g protein, 50g carbs, 0g fats
Intra/post-workout: Protein powder (2 scoops), 50g protein, 15g carbs, 5-10g fats

Before bed: Cereals with 1% milk, 20-25g protein, 55-60g carbs, 10g fats.

Rest days goal:
170g protein
60g fat
130g carbs
1750 cals

AM: Almonds, 10g protein, 10g carbs, 25g fats

Lunch: Protein powder (2 scoops), 50g protein, 15g carbs, 5-10g fats

PM: Quest protein bar x2, 40g protein, 50g carbs, 10g fats

Dinner: Green apple, 0g protein, 15g carbs, 0g fats
Protein powder (2 scoops), 50g protein, 15g carbs, 5-10g fats.

Both are within 5g of my daily macros. I take multivitamin supplements since I'm probably going to be lacking vitamins with this diet, also omega-3 fish oil.

You don't need that much protein. Go 0.8g / lb or lower and you'll still have plenty. Also, there are plenty of reasons not to eat the same thing every day, but it depends on how long you plan on eating that same thing every day. Nutrition issues aside, most people would get horribly bored with it after a while.

I wouldn't recommend eating two quest bars at once either. Might just be me, but last time I did that my stomach didn't appreciate it.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Guys, are there any downsides to carbonated water?

I drink it if I fancy something other than water and they usually have 10 calories at the most, with barely any other macros in.

despire

I drink it if I fancy something other than water and they usually have 10 calories at the most, with barely any other macros in.

If it's just carbonated water then it doesn't have any calories. If it's one of those with added flavor it's usually full of citric acid which is bad for your teeth (same as soda).

Hey guys, I have very little free time in my weeks, and whatever time I can get, I don't want to spend cooking, so I came up with a 0-prep time diet, wondering what you guys think. I know some people say don't eat the same thing every day, but this is actually really good, is there a particular reason not to eat the same stuff all the time?

6'2, 171lbs, 13%bf. Looking to get down to 8-10% bf.

Work days goal:
170g protein
40g fat
280g carbs
2200 cals

AM: Ham slices, 15g protein, 5g carbs, 2g fats
Pineapple slices (x5), 2g protein, 40g carbs, 0g fats

Lunch: Quest protein bar x2, 40g protein, 50g carbs, 10g fats

PM: Mixed berries, 0g protein, 15g carbs, 0g fats
Quest protein bar, 20g protein, 25g carbs, 5g fats

Pre-workout: banana x2, 2g protein, 50g carbs, 0g fats
Intra/post-workout: Protein powder (2 scoops), 50g protein, 15g carbs, 5-10g fats

Before bed: Cereals with 1% milk, 20-25g protein, 55-60g carbs, 10g fats.

Rest days goal:
170g protein
60g fat
130g carbs
1750 cals

AM: Almonds, 10g protein, 10g carbs, 25g fats

Lunch: Protein powder (2 scoops), 50g protein, 15g carbs, 5-10g fats

PM: Quest protein bar x2, 40g protein, 50g carbs, 10g fats

Dinner: Green apple, 0g protein, 15g carbs, 0g fats
Protein powder (2 scoops), 50g protein, 15g carbs, 5-10g fats.

Both are within 5g of my daily macros. I take multivitamin supplements since I'm probably going to be lacking vitamins with this diet, also omega-3 fish oil.

Doesn't look good to me. Too much processed food (powders, cereal, ham..) and Quest bars (fiber intake would probably be way too high at around ~70g/day. Too little real food. Plus it looks boring as fuck. Sure you get your macros on that menu, but I would think you will eventually become deficient in some micronutrients. Though if it's only for a short while I guess it's doable.

If you are truly truly too busy to cook, I'd probably buy a slow cooker and make a huge batch of food at once. I'm currently making chili for six days worth. Prep time was maybe 20 minutes. Plus I need to boil rice separately every day but it's no biggie (got a rice cooker).

ILoveBish

Down 3.2lbs already, back at 229.0. Body is adapting quick now. Before I would drop pound or less a day when I got kicked out of ketosis, now I'm back in very quickly. Just shows that the leaner you are, the easier things get. Everything is better the leaner you are.

Gintamen

I can barely drink carbonated water anymore since still water is so much better (for me). Not sure how carbonated water would have any calories to begin with unless it's flavoured.

is there a particular reason not to eat the same stuff all the time?
Yeah like it being extremely boring and onesided. All of those protein bars and shakes... there are so many alternatives that won't taste so totally bland(I don't care for the flavors, but about eating them every single day). Is money a problem, otherwise how about some meat, fish, eggs, joghurt, cottage cheese, beans, etc?

Azulsky

Damnit. I've only just noticed that MFP does carbs the annoying American way. Crappy that there isn't a setting to just get net carbs out of it. =/

Going to end up having to manually do values for everything I eat.

It is one of the biggest complaints about MFP

Is it really just an American thing to add fiber to the carb count ?

UrAvgGuy

Any thoughts on doing bench press without a spot?

Pretty normal, although I don't overload how I'd like too without a spot. Usually keep the weight at 2-3 reps before failure.

Nice! Since I can't back squat easily I've been front squatting a lot more. It's crazy how much harder it is and how uncomfortable you feel with the bar pressing against your neck. Did 225x3 and then back off sets at 85% and I felt fried.

You aren't kidding. it feels ridiculously weird. I've also been front squatting more and had to totally drop the weight back to the bar just to get comfortable with the movement lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom