• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILoveBish

In a food coma right now. Birthday party for someone and everything I made for guests was a hit, especially the surprise cheesecake I made, coconut cheesecake (my best creation yet). Will be back to my usual either tomorrow or Monday for sure.

Why do I get top post so often lol.

Azulsky

I think I am just going to drop leg days this week and let my knee heal back up. Might sub with a quick core workout and some back hypers, then jump on a stationary bike for the rest of the time. Sucks but if I go back to where I was last year hobbling around for 2 months then it will just be sadpanda city all over again.

After work workout....how do you deal???

I dont, so I started going in the mornings.

I was too bloated, too tired, dehydrated, starving, distracted...any one or 3 of those things after work.

And working out suppresses appetite for me so having to go through another meal, prepare food for work, do the usual evening stuff, nah I am already dead.

I prefer going to sleep an hour or so earlier and getting the workout done first. Exception is friday(we work 4 hr fridays) and weekends.

I guess you lose the social factor of the gym if you go in the morning which sucks for some people.

Chocobro

I haven't had a problem going to the gym after work for the past 8 months. I just go. No caffeine, get adequate sleep. If anything, I get mental fatigue from work but it goes away once I start my warm-up.
It also depends what kind of work you do. It's going to be tough if your work is physically demanding. I'm a process engineer intern so I'm only doing experiments in the lab, the occasional data analysis at my desk, and walking 1/4 mile to the plant across the street every few days; not exactly labor intensive.

Mmm tempted to get a second pair, Romaleos this time.

Chocobro

I don't get it.

According to http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/ I need to eat between 2250 to 2820 calories per day on rest/workout days to lose weight.

I just counted and I eat about 1800-1900 per day, and I'm not losing anything.
Those calculators are just estimates. You'll have to verify through trial and error. I spent the first 4-5 months of this year trying to find or get an idea of my maintenance calories before I started bulking.

Azulsky

I don't get it.

According to http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/ I need to eat between 2250 to 2820 calories per day on rest/workout days to lose weight.

I just counted and I eat about 1800-1900 per day, and I'm not losing anything.

You could be overestimating your exercise output, which is usually why i tell people to start with the BMR estimation or to undershoot their TDEE by one multiplier level for the first couple of weeks.

Also there is a decent variance even with the formulas. I think Katch McCardie is supposed to be the latest and greatest and you can take a shot at it with your waist line and the BF % calculator based on that.

Its pretty close for me. I eat about 3200 documented but probably a bit over 3300 all said and done and it is claiming i would need to eat 3600 to maintain.

From talking to people over at MFP, here, and other places it does seem like some people do better with higher or lower carb intake even if the calorie # is kept the same. That is something you are going to have to play with yourself.

Hit a new low on weight / fat before the weekend... looked about as shredded as I could do, and I'm fairly happy with where I got to for my target date. People noticed, and that was all I really wanted. :)

I reckon I put on a fair chunk over it, but it was nice to take my foot off the gas for a bit and relax given how hard I've been pushing myself. Going to drop around 4kg over the next 6 weeks and that's going to be as low weight wise as I'm willing to go... and if I still have any obvious fat, tough. After that back to bulking.

entremet

Those calculators are just estimates. You'll have to verify through trial and error. I spent the first 4-5 months of this year trying to find or get an idea of my maintenance calories before I started bulking.

Yep. Caloric intake takes time to figure out, especially if you're active.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Yep. Caloric intake takes time to figure out, especially if you're active.
Yes sir. Think of these next few months as your personal science experiment. Track. Adjust. Observe. Adjust. Eventually everything starts making sense. Have patience.

3phemeral

Was trying to figure out why I'm stalling around 170 and it hit me: I'm logging in the total time I spend at the gym, not the actual workout time. Thankfully, JEFIT keeps tracks of rest time, actual workout time, and wasted time. So I've been entering in my actual workout times now and man, it's disappointing how little I'm burning compared to what I was overestimating before but at least I can calculate my caloric balance with greater accuracy.

ILoveBish

Always calculate at sedentary. Unless you're an Olympic athlete or putting in serious volume, you don't need to be higher.

You adjust over time, tracking everything you do that you get averages and can do changes from there.

When you eat 1cup of pineapple is this a fresh pineapple from the produce section or can I buy pineapple thats not marinating in HFC?

Are food scales all created equal? I was going to buy one off Amazon. Seems theyre all doing the same thing the same way.

Also, i hate pouring 7 egg yolks out. I feel so wasteful. Feels bad man.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
When you eat 1cup of pineapple is this a fresh pineapple from the produce section or can I buy pineapple thats not marinating in HFC?

Are food scales all created equal? I was going to buy one off Amazon. Seems theyre all doing the same thing the same way.

Yes

Pretty much

Then don't

just get the egg whites in the carton. solved.

hey guys, just a quick question. I am fairly overweight but i think it is time to change that. I will change it but here is my question.

Should i rather hit the weights or lose the whole weight first with fitness stuff for example p90 or some youtube fitness workouts?

Azulsky

hey guys, just a quick question. I am fairly overweight but i think it is time to change that. I will change it but here is my question.

Should i rather hit the weights or lose the whole weight first with fitness stuff for example p90 or some youtube fitness workouts?

In hindsight I should have started weightlifting when I started losing weight instead of waiting till the end.

You just figure out your calories so that you are still losing at a controlled rate and have enough energy to do a reasonable workout.

You can do cardio too.

In a food coma right now. Birthday party for someone and everything I made for guests was a hit, especially the surprise cheesecake I made, coconut cheesecake (my best creation yet). Will be back to my usual either tomorrow or Monday for sure.
Why do I get top post so often lol.

I dont recall the link to that cheescake in your linkdump in the nutrition thread.

GrapeApes

Yeah, You live in the US? They are pretty much exist at every supermarket.

I get the 4 pack at Costco for like 9 bucks every month. Used to be a six pack for 9 bucks though:(
Are you getting Kirkland brand? It's been 6 pack for me every time. I haven't been able to see it on my last 3 trips to Costco. You know if they discontinued it? Might have to switch to the more expensive egg beaters if that's the case.

Are you getting Kirkland brand? It's been 6 pack for me every time. I haven't been able to see it on my last 3 trips to Costco. You know if they discontinued it? Might have to switch to the more expensive egg beaters if that's the case.

The Costco guy I was talking about it with said it might be gone because of supplier issues and he is not sure if it is going to come back. Mine only has the named brand one now, the 4 back of egg beaters.

I usually go to walmart for one-stop shopping but maybe its time to get a Costco membership.
Yeah, I am able to piggy back off my parents membership so it pays for itself for me. They are definitely my favorite retailer.

In hindsight I should have started weightlifting when I started losing weight instead of waiting till the end.

You just figure out your calories so that you are still losing at a controlled rate and have enough energy to do a reasonable workout.

You can do cardio too.

so i better hit the gym then. Already doing the calorie thing. Lost about 6 kg in about 4 weeks. Dont want to lose it too fast because of the possbile and likely skin issues. I am a bit afraid of that but well if that means a few years longer to live it will be worth it.

Any particular reason? The myths behind low fat diets being the way to lose fat have been long since debunked.

Im doing the 40/30/30 where 30% of my xalories come from fat. I want the protein from eggs for breakfast but dont necessarily want fat that Ill get later in the day.

ILoveBish

I dont recall the link to that cheescake in your linkdump in the nutrition thread.

I made it yesterday, my own recipe. Even this morning, it's effing delicious. Every single person who ate it loved it.

It's a large recipe tho.

24oz cream cheese
3 eggs
1 tbsp vanilla
1 19oz can coconut cream
4oz sugar free coconut flakes
Sweetener to taste (mix everything and then taste, add sweetener you want, mix and taste. I used stevia glycerine or whatever it's called. My go to sweetener.)

Mix it all up, oven for 375 for at least 40 minutes. It never hardened for me but started browning. Once it cooled, it was creamy and solid. Delicious.

Chocobro

I made it yesterday, my own recipe. Even this morning, it's effing delicious. Every single person who ate it loved it.

It's a large recipe tho.

24oz cream cheese
3 eggs
1 tbsp vanilla
1 19oz can coconut cream
4oz sugar free coconut flakes
Sweetener to taste (mix everything and then taste, add sweetener you want, mix and taste. I used stevia glycerine or whatever it's called. My go to sweetener.)

Mix it all up, oven for 375 for at least 40 minutes. It never hardened for me but started browning. Once it cooled, it was creamy and solid. Delicious.

Oh, so no base, just the filling?

Stevia glycerite / alcohol-free Stevia for those wondering.

entremet

That's the only way for me to workout. I'm not a morning person.

Research shows that the best time for high-intensity weight training is the afternoon--your body temperature is at it's highest and your nervous system at the most alert.

But that's not practical if you have a 9-5. I just have a small preworkout meal.

Yukiari

If you do hire a trainer make it very clear upfront before you sign any contracts that you are ONLY interested in learning the major compound movements. Don't let them run some whack routine on you. You'll end up wasting your time and money.

I did hire a trainer and she seems to actually be listening to what I want to do. We talked since it was only a consultation. My first actual session is on Tuesday. I will read up on Compound Movements though. Thank you.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Quick (silly) question

Do I weigh rice before I cook it or after? I've been doing it before but I don't know how it'll affect the weight and calories after boiling it.

It's for logging into myfitnesspal

Whatever you're logging in MFP should state if it's cooked values or not. As a general rule for rice though I'd weigh pre cooking as you really have no idea how much water is going to end up in it post cooking.

Lashley

Whatever you're logging in MFP should state if it's cooked values or not. As a general rule for rice though I'd weigh pre cooking as you really have no idea how much water is going to end up in it post cooking.
I just scanned the barcode. Doesn't mention whether it's uncooked or cooked though.

Just got digital food scales today, pleased I did. Thought I was overestimating but I've been underestimating the grams, especially with rice.

Well, it wont be hard to check vs the numbers on the back of the packet. Uncooked rice has about triple the calories per gram of cooked rice.

Lashley

Well, it wont be hard to check vs the numbers on the back of the packet. Uncooked rice has about triple the calories per gram of cooked rice.
So the calories go down after its boiled?

I'll check the packet when I'm home. Thanks.

Sort of. The calories per gram go down because you've just tripled (or more) the weight of each grain with water. It's not that it magically loses calories to the pan. ;)

Same works in reverse for things that contain a lot of water to start with. So for instance, a potato might be 80 kcal / 100g raw, but 95 kcal / 100g baked (because it lost a bunch of water).

Yukiari

I just scanned the barcode. Doesn't mention whether it's uncooked or cooked though.

Just got digital food scales today, pleased I did. Thought I was overestimating but I've been underestimating the grams, especially with rice.

If you've scanned the Barcode then I think you weigh it dry.

SeanR1221

Quick (silly) question

Do I weigh rice before I cook it or after? I've been doing it before but I don't know how it'll affect the weight and calories after boiling it.

It's for logging into myfitnesspal

I just find a verified cooked rice on MFP. Off the top of my head, one cup of brown cooked rice is like 180g and 200ish calories.

P44

Really happy with my lifts today.

Rock solid squats, bench press finally clicked for me form wise, I even got to teach deadlifting to a friend I haven't seen for 5 ish years.

Szu

If I climb scaffold all day that's already a workout. Sometimes I'll just go to the gym and do squats after work once a week. Keep volume for the weekend.

Oh yeah, I thought I recognized you from this picture. Stop swatting at bi-planes at work. It's bad for your health.

KingKongAngryFEATURE.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom