• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BumRush

That was my plan from the beginning. Just do very manageable weight and get technique down. I'm more interested in the discipline, progression and scientific aspects of lifting than bulking up. If that happens along the way fine but it's not my goal. My metabolism is fucking insane so I don't know what ungodly amounts of food I'd have to shovel down to gain weight.

Eat a ton and start lifting. You won't get hurt if you follow the progression scheme and dont overdo it. Let us know which program you plan in doing.

Have bought "Beyond 5/3/1" on my Kindle and call me a dinosaur... but I really wish I could have got it in dead tree edition instead. For books like that I much prefer having something I can flick around in rather than doing it electronically.

(I know they sell the paperback in the US, but it's not available in the UK.)

Bowser

Have bought "Beyond 5/3/1" on my Kindle and call me a dinosaur... but I really wish I could have got it in dead tree edition instead. For books like that I much prefer having something I can flick around in rather than doing it electronically.

(I know they sell the paperback in the US, but it's not available in the UK.)

You can convert your Kindle titles to .pdf and print them out. Bit of a ghetto solution tho haha

Vegan Gains is a clown. Then again, I don't think he is as crazy as he comes off. More like playing a character to get them sweet youtube views.

Heysoos

Man I'm at the gym right now but I feel like I have zero energy. I'm trying to just power through, but man what a shitty feeling.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Man I'm at the gym right now but I feel like I have zero energy. I'm trying to just power through, but man what a shitty feeling.

I know that feel. Finish a squat set then you see stars and like all your energy has been drained from you right down to your soul.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Time to lighten the mood
d7FOSls.jpg

sphinx

the piano man

I know that feel. Finish a squat set then you see stars and like all your energy has been drained from you right down to your soul.

for me the worst is starting to yawn after the 1st or 2nd exercise and subsequently needing to take long ass rests between sets. fuck those days.

ILoveBish

I have to admit, I was scared to get on the scale this morning. When I get big drops, I'm scared it will go right back up. Stepped on the scale and it read 227.8! Up 2.4lbs... Then it said CAL lol, stepped back on and 225.6, only up .2lbs which is nothing to be concerned about. Just thrilled I'm still in the same range. Feel really good about how things are going.

I'm making 8 days of food today after work. Then tomorrow finishing up boiling and ricing a months worth of cauliflower and have it all portion controlled. Should finally be clear to do other stuff by Friday.

Time to lighten the mood
d7FOSls.jpg

I'll never forget getting the genesis as a kid and it came with altered beast. Good times.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Squatted 135 5x3 today. Up from my 85 starting point a month ago. I'm so proud of myself for staying consistent, and now I'm addicted.

Eos

For me, I have zero fatigue issues. Also, it doesn't affect my lifts and I prefer to lift on "empty", so to speak. Yes, my numbers are still okay. Actually better than before, I think. But generally IF shouldn't stop your progression.

1: Only when I hit high heart rates and / or go over an hour and a half. It's great for intensity, not so good for volume. If you're doing anything that has you go anerobic, your performance will suffer.

2: Natural progression aside, in some ways more. I often used to suffer because I ate too close to lifting and made myself feel sick.

It took me a while to adjust lifting fasted. Several weeks in fact till my strength was back to what it was. I have more energy lifting fasted now then when I did eating and then lifting. It took weeks like my strength did. But body adapted and now I'm doing fantastic.

okay, thx guys

entremet

Vegan Gains is a clown. Then again, I don't think he is as crazy as he comes off. More like playing a character to get them sweet youtube views.

dude picked the wrong guy to mess with. didn't layne sue another guy for doing the same thing? saying he was on steroids?

Azulsky

dude picked the wrong guy to mess with. didn't layne sue another guy for doing the same thing? saying he was on steroids?

Yeah its the guy they reference in the video, Jason Blaha. Norton won like 400k from that suit.

All i know about Norton is that he has well respected training routine, PHAT.

ILoveBish

Great day at the gym again. Deadlift with 3x300, 3x340 and 3x385. I do FSL on everything but deadlift, because only have hex plates available. So ended it with 3x275. Hit every rep, then did heavier accessories, did dips for 10,10,10,7. Will soon need a belt to add weight to dips. I remember not being able to hold myself in the air before. Come a long way. Ended with pendlay rows with 10x175, 8x180, 6x185 and 4x190. Felt damn good today. Still on 1750 calories and eating once a day.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Whew, pushed hard on squats today so much that I had to sit in the locker room for a good 10 minutes to keep from throwing up.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Great day at the gym again. Deadlift with 3x300, 3x340 and 3x385. I do FSL on everything but deadlift, because only have hex plates available. So ended it with 3x275. Hit every rep, then did heavier accessories, did dips for 10,10,10,7. Will soon need a belt to add weight to dips. I remember not being able to hold myself in the air before. Come a long way. Ended with pendlay rows with 10x175, 8x180, 6x185 and 4x190. Felt damn good today. Still on 1750 calories and eating once a day.

Dips on deadlift day? Now I'm curious how the rest of your program looks. What's the logic behind that? I can see it on OHP or bench day, not deadlift day.

And if you can deadlift x 5 with those plates you can FSL with those plates. This is another cop out. Stop cheating yourself.

ILoveBish

Dips on deadlift day? Now I'm curious how the rest of your program looks. What's the logic behind that? I can see it on OHP or bench day, not deadlift day.

And if you can deadlift x 5 with those plates you can FSL with those plates. This is another cop out. Stop cheating yourself.

I superset the dips with the pendlay. Nothing to it in particular other then getting them in. And I hate 5s week for dl as it is, bar goes flying at times and I have to correct it into position. And I'm using the program as a template, so what's the issue here?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I superset the dips with the pendlay. Nothing to it in particular other then getting them in. And I hate 5s week for dl as it is, bar goes flying at times and I have to correct it into position. And I'm using the program as a template, so what's the issue here?

The issue is the excuse you give for not doing the program as written. The program itself would tell you you're SOV not NOV.

And as far as dips after pendlay rows on deadlift day there are better choices for bang for your buck, but again, do you. You will learn, you're still new. The bigger issue is you cheating yourself. (At least as far as training goes).

ILoveBish

The issue is the excuse you give for not doing the program as written. The program itself would tell you you're SOV not NOV.

And as far as dips after pendlay rows on deadlift day there are better choices for bang for your buck, but again, do you. You will learn, you're still new. The bigger issue is you cheating yourself. (At least as far as training goes).

When it comes to strength training, I am absolutely not maximizing. I'm well aware of this and will focus on strength training when it comes time to bulk. Right now I'm very happy following basic 531 as a template, slowly progressing while losing fat the entire time.

I do have plans tho and when it comes to strength training, I'm very much a noob who just likes to follow a routine and have it listed. I have my goals, and right now it's just to hit 9%-10% bf. Everything else is gravy. (Low carb gravy)

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
So I left work Monday because I hurt my back near the end of the shift. I had some sciatica/upper glute/lower back pain several days prior then did volume squats and felt great afterwards so I didn't think it was serious. It's an old injury from 2008 from shoveling snow that's been bothering me on and off with regular pain. This time my back gave out completely. I was in scaffolding so I waited a few minutes expecting it to go away but I gave up and made the climb down in pain. Any movement where my hip or torso moved sent a sharp stabbing pain down my lower back and to my glute. It took me five minutes to get in my car and just driving to the hospital was agonizing lol. The ER doctor was useless after sitting and standing in pain for 3 hours. I went to a clinic the next day and got some nerve suppressants prescribed and a CT scan scheduled, finally. Took the rest of the week off for precaution per the DR. The pain is more manageable now but NSAIDs and Lyrica don't relieve any pain so hopefully it subsides once I begin stretching. I'll take at least two weeks off from lifting and evaluate from there. I usually get some PRs after time off anyways.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
So I left work Monday because I hurt my back near the end of the shift. I had some sciatica/upper glute/lower back pain several days prior then did volume squats and felt great afterwards so I didn't think it was serious. It's an old injury from 2008 from shoveling snow that's been bothering me on and off with regular pain. This time my back gave out completely. I was in scaffolding so I waited a few minutes expecting it to go away but I gave up and made the climb down in pain. Any movement where my hip or torso moved sent a sharp stabbing pain down my lower back and to my glute. It took me five minutes to get in my car and just driving to the hospital was agonizing lol. The ER doctor was useless after sitting and standing in pain for 3 hours. I went to a clinic the next day and got some nerve suppressants prescribed and a CT scan scheduled, finally. Took the rest of the week off for precaution per the DR. The pain is more manageable now but NSAIDs and Lyrica don't relieve any pain so hopefully it subsides once I begin stretching. I'll take at least two weeks off from lifting and evaluate from there. I usually get some PRs after time off anyways.

Damn, that sucks brother.

M52B28

Banned
I've made it through the second day of IF.

My stomach begins to get unsettled towards the afternoon, so I have a small Gatorade pouch which is 100 calories. Is that okay if I just take in some liquids?

Anyways, I made it through today fairly easy. I didn't really start feeling hungry until 3:00pm which was the last time I had eaten anything since yesterday. Now, the difference from today and yesterday is that I ate a-lot more. I had about 1800 calories worth of food, but yesterday I took in about 1100 calories, and another difference today is that I took in a-lot more protein, so naturally, I'm going to feel more full than last time.

I have a few more questions for you IF masters. I usually eat my foods before I go to the gym. I can manage working out on a filled stomach, but is that the best idea? Should I go to the gym before I eat during the IF periods, or is it okay if I go to the gym afterwards?

Well, that's really it for now. It's my first time giving this a run, and I think I've done this well for the first time around. Is this supposed to be a 1-2 times a week thing? I feel like I'm doing fairly well on the later eating schedule.

bchamba

5s week squats took a lot out of me today. Worked up to 325 for 5 then 3 FSL sets of 250 for 8. Down 10 lbs in the last 4 weeks and still set a PR with my 325 for 5.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
What are SOV and NOV?

What's NOV? See below. That motherfucker right there.

Quick protein shake question. Is there any benefit to having it before or after working out? Or just having it sometime during the day is fine.

ILoveBish

Sounds rough mtp, hope for a quick recovery.

I've made it through the second day of IF.

My stomach begins to get unsettled towards the afternoon, so I have a small Gatorade pouch which is 100 calories. Is that okay if I just take in some liquids?

Anyways, I made it through today fairly easy. I didn't really start feeling hungry until 3:00pm which was the last time I had eaten anything since yesterday. Now, the difference from today and yesterday is that I ate a-lot more. I had about 1800 calories worth of food, but yesterday I took in about 1100 calories, and another difference today is that I took in a-lot more protein, so naturally, I'm going to feel more full than last time.

I have a few more questions for you IF masters. I usually eat my foods before I go to the gym. I can manage working out on a filled stomach, but is that the best idea? Should I go to the gym before I eat during the IF periods, or is it okay if I go to the gym afterwards?

Well, that's really it for now. It's my first time giving this a run, and I think I've done this well for the first time around. Is this supposed to be a 1-2 times a week thing? I feel like I'm doing fairly well on the later eating schedule.

General rule of thumb is nothing over 50 calories, but in reality, it's they insulin spike that stops the fasting. So that would have definitely stopped the fasting process, since carbs spike insulin more then anything else.

You can do if for whenever or however you want. Since people do it daily, since biweekly, etc. It's however you want.

Drink water, coffee, tea. Ideally unsweetened (definitely no sugar), and milk only if you have to...and no, a gatorade pouch is definitely not ok.

As for working out. Supposedly it's better to do it fasted (assuming you're not doing hours of it) and then eat your biggest meal right afterwards.

ILoveBish

Drink water, coffee, tea. Ideally unsweetened (definitely no sugar), and milk only if you have to...and no, a gatorade pouch is definitely not ok.

As for working out. Supposedly it's better to do it fasted (assuming you're not doing hours of it) and then eat your biggest meal right afterwards.

This is what I do now. Prefer it. Used to eat right before.

JimiNutz

Banned
I'm currently looking to increase my strength and am doing a routine based mainly around Squats, Deadlifts, Bench Press, Rows, Overhead Press, Dips and Chins.

My problem is that my gym is pretty small and the squat rack is incredibly popular. Sometimes I'll jump in with someone if they are lifting simular weight to me but often there are women on the rack and it's not really worth it.

My question is, what is the best barbell squat replacement for those days where I just can't get on the squat rack.

So far I've tried barbell front squat but the position hurts my wrists and is pretty uncomfortable for days after (I also do Muay Thai and BJJ so can't afford to have sore wrists).

I've also tried goblet squats with a kettlebell but we don't have heavy enough kettlebells for this to be that effective.

Any other good substitutes for the barbell squat? Specifically for someone trying to improve their overall strength.

despire

Martin Berkhan has posted a new post on Leangains.com. It's been over a year before this with no activity. Had started to wonder what he's even up to these days.

Anyway it's nothing IF/diet related, just some training observations. Good to see he's back though :)

I'm currently looking to increase my strength and am doing a routine based mainly around Squats, Deadlifts, Bench Press, Rows, Overhead Press, Dips and Chins.

My problem is that my gym is pretty small and the squat rack is incredibly popular. Sometimes I'll jump in with someone if they are lifting simular weight to me but often there are women on the rack and it's not really worth it.

My question is, what is the best barbell squat replacement for those days where I just can't get on the squat rack.

So far I've tried barbell front squat but the position hurts my wrists and is pretty uncomfortable for days after (I also do Muay Thai and BJJ so can't afford to have sore wrists).

I've also tried goblet squats with a kettlebell but we don't have heavy enough kettlebells for this to be that effective.

Any other good substitutes for the barbell squat? Specifically for someone trying to improve their overall strength.
No replacement for squats. They're pretty much the king of all exercises
Try to go during non peak hours or just work in with the ladies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom