• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowser

I take issue with this. All I do is squat and deadlift and my abs are so huge I can see them at 19%-ish bf. Granted that genetically they might just be that way, but I haven't done an ab activity in the gym in over a year.

I think with abs it's the same as you say with fasting: different strokes for different folks. Some people need dedicated work, some don't.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
I meant the majority is slow twitch. But yeah, good points :)

The statement that big compound exercised build abs is more or less a myth.To have good abs you must train abs and train them with the same passion you train chest, legs, etc.

Good thing is they can really take a beating. They do recover fast. Careful though as an ab injury is propably the most painful thing ever (happens usually when overtraining them but they do have a high threshold). Haven't had one myself but I've spoken to 2-3 people that had to do surgery because of an ab injury.

EMG data says otherwise.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I think with abs it's the same as you say with fasting: different strokes for different folks. Some people need dedicated work, some don't.
Which is true but to say it is more or less a myth seems a bit disingenuous. Without a strong core you won't be able to squat, DL, or OHP heavy. Period. So if you progress on these lifts to a point where you are hitting high numbers without any dedicated ab work I don't know how you say they weren't responsible for strengthening your abs.

The Chef

Took me over a week to really have body adapt fully. Keep hydrated.

Beat me to it. Water is your friend Chef. Caffeine also helps me get over the mid morning hump. Like Bish said, eventually you adapt and the hunger only comes briefly or not even at all.

Thanks guys. Water and coffee definitely helps.

Yeah, that's what I was at. Even if I was actually making changes and just couldn't see it, at least at 1800 those changes will come quicker.

Cooter recommended dropping to that actually. Its amazing how your body will respond to something that seems to be insignificant.

Man stretch marks are a double edge sword. I've started getting some on my upper groin right below my stomach. Feels great since I'm really starting to notice my body recomposition around my stomach but at the same time damn they are ugly. I've always carried alot of weight in that area so it's awesome. Sorry if tmi bit I had to share.

BumRush

I'm all about weighing myself every day. It lets you see how your body fluctuates and it's easier to see the trend.

Not sure why MFP is starting me at 225 when my start was 228. I think because I had a couple weigh ins around 225 before I officially started.

Sub 200! Amazing Sean. You must be thrilled. What's your next goal (sorry if you've already posted this...the last few days have been insane)?

With regards to the abs, just because you have a strong core, doesn't necessarily mean you look like you have a strong core. Hell, I felt that even though I pulled 505, I sure as fuck didn't look like it. So yeah, while you may have a super strong core, you may not have the look that you want. So for me, when I start to "bulk" up again, I will have a definite emphasis on abs.

Cooter

With regards to the abs, just because you have a strong core, doesn't necessarily mean you look like you have a strong core. Hell, I felt that even though I pulled 505, I sure as fuck didn't look like it. So yeah, while you may have a super strong core, you may not have the look that you want. So for me, when I start to "bulk" up again, I will have a definite emphasis on abs.
This is also true. Sometimes we interchange strength and aesthetics and they don't always go hand in hand. I think I'm just one of the lucky ones that is satisfied with his/her abs when I get down to a certain bf% through no dedicated ab work. I'm not saying they couldn't be larger and look better with adding dedicated work but for me they are sufficient as is.

SeanR1221

Sub 200! Amazing Sean. You must be thrilled. What's your next goal (sorry if you've already posted this...the last few days have been insane)?

I'm thinking 10ish more pounds before I go into maintenance for a while. Maybe a very slow bulk after that? (10lbs). Since its been fairly easy I'm just riding it out :)

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
First time prepping a meal. All weighed with the digital food scales.

Chicken & Rice for the next 4 days
3AQmK.gif

About 500 per meal

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I'm all about weighing myself every day. It lets you see how your body fluctuates and it's easier to see the trend.

Not sure why MFP is starting me at 225 when my start was 228. I think because I had a couple weigh ins around 225 before I officially started.

Such a beautiful downward trend. That graph should be the staple example for weight fluctuations with daily weigh ins.

Hmm... I hardly felt like I worked out there. This is going to take some getting used to.

Also, I've never done barbell rows before (at least not the sort that start and finish on the floor), so my form was all over the place.

Cooter

I feel like I do nothing on low rep days and the reality is that my volume is trash compared to hyper days.
Low rep days are a different kind of hard for me. A lot of joint strain and mental fatique. I've learned to appreciate both days.

M52B28

Banned
"Intermittent Fasting." It's basically a glorified period of "not eating". Lets you eat your food within an 8 hour period, or less, and allows you to stay full and satisfied for a longer period of time while on a calorie restricted diet compared to eating multiple times throughout the day.

There's numerous health benefits to it too, all of which you'll find just by googling the term.
I'm trying it today. Making it through so far, but I had two low calorie energy drinks. I'm going to make it a meal at 3pm each day. I think that's perfect bet.

I started falling off around 12:00pm.

Eos

i got some questions for people who are currently doing IF or did it in the past:
-are you more fatigued
-were you lifting the same amount/around the same while doing it (esp for squat, deadlift, and bench)

I'm trying it today. Making it through so far, but I had two low calorie energy drinks. I'm going to make it a meal at 3pm each day. I think that's perfect bet.

I started falling off around 12:00pm.

That's why one of the more popular IF systems, leangains, has you "fasted" from 8pm to 12pm the next day. You're most likely to get hungry at your typical meal times due to signalling from your hunger hormone (ghrelin). If you can get used to having ~0 calories for about 16-20 hours until your meal times, then you'll be golden. After that comes the nutrition. Good luck with everything!

i got some questions for people who are currently doing IF or did it in the past:
-are you more fatigued
-were you lifting the same amount/around the same while doing it (esp for squat, deadlift, and bench)

For me, I have zero fatigue issues. Also, it doesn't affect my lifts and I prefer to lift on "empty", so to speak. Yes, my numbers are still okay. Actually better than before, I think. But generally IF shouldn't stop your progression.

ILoveBish

Gym went great today. Ohp with 3x130, 3x150 and 3x170. Ended it with 10x120. New dead hanging pull up record set, 5,3,4,4. Went up in weight on the rope tricep pulldown and only missed 1 rep on last 2 sets. Very good day and finally back to normal, eating my standard 1750 calorie meal for the day now.

-are you more fatigued

1: Only when I hit high heart rates and / or go over an hour and a half. It's great for intensity, not so good for volume. If you're doing anything that has you go anerobic, your performance will suffer.

2: Natural progression aside, in some ways more. I often used to suffer because I ate too close to lifting and made myself feel sick.

Saw the trainer and it was awesome.

The cue of lifting up with your hips on the ascent of the squat wasn't right for me. He told me to lift up with my shoulders first, and then squeeze my butt in as I come up. I'm sore in the right places instead of in my lower back so I feel great!

His name is Brandon Chien (http://www.theartofselfalignment.com/) I would definitely recommend him!

SeanR1221

ILoveBish

-are you more fatigued

It took me a while to adjust lifting fasted. Several weeks in fact till my strength was back to what it was. I have more energy lifting fasted now then when I did eating and then lifting. It took weeks like my strength did. But body adapted and now I'm doing fantastic.

Kwixotik

Any recommendations for a cheap, but accurate heart rate monitor? I don't need a lot of features, I just need to be able to monitor my heart rate lol.

Cooter

I've hit many PRs on a 18 hour plus fast. I've also hit many while on a bulk and eating 2 hours before lifting. A relevant example might be when I deadlifted 550 at 220 while eating beforehand and also doing the same weight at 180 on a 19 hour fast.

M52B28

Banned
Filling this out passively as I lift.

Height:5' 8"
Weight:248
Goal:190-200 (long term)
Current Training Schedule: I'm currently feeling every weekday and weekends off.
Current Training Equipment Available: I'm currently enrolled at a gym and it should suffice. Elliptical, treadmills, bench press, squats, and tons of other useful machines.

Comments: I'm mainly trying to lose fat, but I also lift weights to spread out from cardio.

I've been overweight for most of my life, but compared to some guys my weight and height, I have a fairly muscular and very apparent frame built around me. I really don't care about gaining muscle right now but I understand that weight training is kind of important when wanting to lose weight.

As for cardiovascular capabilities, I'm pretty able to do high incline walking at a 4mph pace for 10-15 minutes. On an elliptical, I can do max height and resistance for 15-20 minutes before tiring out.I'm sure I can run for a good distance, but I don't think my joints would like that much.

I'm giving IF a try right now. I'm going to squeeze a meal in at 3:00pm every day. I Eat protein, but for me to use powders/shakes would be overboard to be honest (and expensive.) I manage to eat about half my body weight in protein a day.

Any recommendations?

Azulsky

Filling this out passively as I lift.

Height:5' 8"
Weight:248
Goal:190-200 (long term)
Current Training Schedule: I'm currently feeling every weekday and weekends off.
Current Training Equipment Available: I'm currently enrolled at a gym and it should suffice. Elliptical, treadmills, bench press, squats, and tons of other useful machines.

Comments: I'm mainly trying to lose fat, but I also lift weights to spread out from cardio.

I've been overweight for most of my life, but compared to some guys my weight and height, I have a fairly muscular and very apparent frame built around me. I really don't care about gaining muscle right now but I understand that weight training is kind of important when wanting to lose weight.

As for cardiovascular capabilities, I'm pretty able to do high incline walking at a 4mph pace for 10-15 minutes. On an elliptical, I can do max height and resistance for 15-20 minutes before tiring out.I'm sure I can run for a good distance, but I don't think my joints would like that much.

I'm giving IF a try right now. I'm going to squeeze a meal in at 3:00pm every day. I Eat protein, but for me to use powders/shakes would be overboard to be honest (and expensive.) I manage to eat about half my body weight in protein a day.

Any recommendations?

Half your body weight as in 0.5g/lb? Thats probably fine though some recommend more. Honestly get your eating in on whatever schedule makes it easiest. I have eaten on a few different meal schedules and you eventually get used to whatever one you pick.

When i did my last push for weight loss I just threw 20-30 minutes of cardio at the end of every weightlifting session and the weightlifting was heavily supersetted and generally higher rep type stuff.

I think 180-200 is reasonable its just up to your frame. I know a few guys at my gym that are shredded at 190lbs and stand at 5'9"/10"

You might end up caring about muscle mass if you find you are lacking in specific groups. Coming from a large weight loss myself my legs are pretty well built but my upper body is meh at best. Once i got to a certain point i decided I was too scrawny and now am focusing on building back up a bit.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Didn't record shit today since I'm at a public gym in a place I'm new to. (Lifetime fitness in Mansfield Tx). Did overhead press finished with 210x4 , 225x3 and 235x1. Not all that impressive until I say it was beltless and wrap less.

I really feel good about my OHP right now.

BumRush

Finally...FINALLY...back in the gym tonight. True fitgaf will know this feeling well, but having not lifted in a while (3 weeks), getting the bar back in my hands sent my adrenaline through the roof.

P.s. great OHP without equipment / on foreign turf brolic.

P.p.so happy birthday Johnny

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
3 weeks without my iron paradise? Good lord man. Good to see you're back on track.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Finally...FINALLY...back in the gym tonight. True fitgaf will know this feeling well, but having not lifted in a while (3 weeks), getting the bar back in my hands sent my adrenaline through the roof.

Thanks buddy, and glad you're back at it. Always a good feeling to be back at the greatest hobby.

BumRush

3 weeks without my iron paradise? Good lord man. Good to see you're back on track.

Yeah dude, I had a cold and then strep throat and our operating plan was due at work so I was doing 12-15 hour days for a few weeks.

Thanks...tonight felt good.

Thanks buddy, and glad you're back at it. Always a good feeling to be back at the greatest hobby.

Thanks dude. How's Texas treating you? I've been to Dallas and Austin a few times, and - on top of a ton of enjoyable things - one thing that really stuck out was how godly the BBQ was...

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Yeah dude, I had a cold and then strep throat and our operating plan was due at work so I was doing 12-15 hour days for a few weeks.

Thanks...tonight felt good.

Thanks dude. How's Texas treating you? I've been to Dallas and Austin a few times, and - on top of a ton of enjoyable things - one thing that really stuck out was how godly the BBQ was...

Went to abuelo's (the restaurant, not my actual grandfathers) last night and rodeo goat today. Absolutely great. My second time here in 3 weeks so I knew what to expect.

Just getting started working out for the first time as an adult. I have some experience with weights and lifting from middle school sports but it's been like 10 years.

I joined a gym and got a free orientation. I'm in good shape (bmi 20, 7% body fat) but have very little upper body strength. The trainer at the gym said I shouldn't even use the weights at this point because I will "hurt myself" and should just do push ups and pull ups and some other cross fit type stuff. He also said that I need to gain 10 pounds (why?).

I didn't pay to join the gym to do things I could do for free. Can I just ignore this guy and start lifting? I was doing benches, inclines and squats when I was younger. Coach showed us the basics and we went. I don't see any reason to not just (carefully of course) get started.

BumRush

Just getting started working out for the first time as an adult. I have some experience with weights and lifting from middle school sports but it's been like 10 years.

I joined a gym and got a free orientation. I'm in good shape (bmi 20, 7% body fat) but have very little upper body strength. The trainer at the gym said I shouldn't even use the weights at this point because I will "hurt myself" and should just do push ups and pull ups and some other cross fit type stuff. He also said that I need to gain 10 pounds (why?).

I didn't pay to join the gym to do things I could do for free. Can I just ignore this guy and start lifting? I was doing benches, inclines and squats when I was younger. Coach showed us the basics and we went. I don't see any reason to not just (carefully of course) get started.

If you do start, do a program in the OP and use only the bar at first. The weight will add up quickly.

7% BF though? Damn dude, that's better than "good shape"

If you do start, do a program in the OP and use only the bar at first. The weight will add up quickly.

7% BF though? Damn dude, that's better than "good shape"

That was my plan from the beginning. Just do very manageable weight and get technique down. I'm more interested in the discipline, progression and scientific aspects of lifting than bulking up. If that happens along the way fine but it's not my goal. My metabolism is fucking insane so I don't know what ungodly amounts of food I'd have to shovel down to gain weight.

Cooter

That was my plan from the beginning. Just do very manageable weight and get technique down. I'm more interested in the discipline, progression and scientific aspects of lifting than bulking up. If that happens along the way fine but it's not my goal. My metabolism is fucking insane so I don't know what ungodly amounts of food I'd have to shovel down to gain weight.
I'm guessing 4,000 calories a day will do just fine.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick

Screw what the trainer said. Get under the bar, it doesn't necessarily need to be loaded. It's all about finding your strength limit and constantly pushing it to achieve a set goal. How gaining ten pounds (of muscle I suppose) before getting under the bar is supposed to help is odd. Chicken or egg scenario.

SeanR1221

Nice man. Time to smash the weights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom