• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kureransu

Been on vacation since the fifth and won't be back until the 14th dirty break of peace. The most important thing is that despite the midst likely insane gain, I finally feel rested and ready to go hard again. I need to make sure I don't go this long without a proper vacation. It also gives me time to reflect on why I showed this to happen, and reading measures to prevent it going forward.

How was your nutrition setup? That truly is a remarkable transformation.

I did everything. I started not knowing anything and just eating stuff that was more "healthy"... Like drinking Powerade instead of soda, ha-ha. I started just doing workouts and eating less junk food. In high school I would eat 2 double cheeseburgers and a large fry when I got out and that was while playing football yet kept those habbits when I finished. Those habbits continued to college plus a ton of binge drinking led me to bring over 3 hundo.

After general dieting stopped working I went extreme and started eating tuna straight from the can and generally dumb things like that. It worked though, so I kept doing it for months and months. When that stopped working I went low carb. That is by far my favorite diet but not sustainable for me because I love carbs. After that I did IF and of course that worked too.

In the last 2 pictures I went off performance in the gym to base my macros off. On my heavy gym days I need 400carbs to recover and end up eating 3400-3500 calories now just to maintain my weight.

Azulsky

Edit - Flat bench or incline?

If you are doing Flat Bench Press already then incline flys would hit your upper chest and anterior delt a bit more.

I like doing the twist at the top so your pinkies touch and your palms are facing you. Go light with the weight and slow with the rep, dont pause at the top.

Dips are my other chest compound exercise.

BumRush

Yeah, it's flat bench for the moment. At least whilst my shoulders can still handle it.

Agreed, Azul. Psycho, I'd do incline flys. If I were you I'd also do a deltoid workout or two (superset them) and leave the biceps to back day...but that's just my opinion.

Agreed, Azul. Psycho, I'd do incline flys. If I were you I'd also do a deltoid workout or two (superset them) and leave the biceps to back day...but that's just my opinion.

Yeah, I don't have a "days" as such right now. It's all mixed in. I have plenty of variation on other sessions (this is not what I do every time around).

ILoveBish

Down to 227.0, -1.8 overnight. Only 1.8 away from my previous lowest. I still have leg doms from squats Tuesday, which is extremely odd for me, I usually do not feel any doms of any sort. Not sure if I'll do deadlift today or bench due to this. And I've been getting pretty good sleep.

mdsfx

Forgot to post how overhead press progress came in handy this summer ;)

cLPBLOkh.jpg

mkenyon

Banned
I did everything. I started not knowing anything and just eating stuff that was more "healthy"... Like drinking Powerade instead of soda, ha-ha. I started just doing workouts and eating less junk food. In high school I would eat 2 double cheeseburgers and a large fry when I got out and that was while playing football yet kept those habbits when I finished. Those habbits continued to college plus a ton of binge drinking led me to bring over 3 hundo.
This is verbatim what happened to me too! Spending 5 days a week in the weightroom year round, cardio training, active year round doing whatever, plus football. You learn some really fucking horrible eating habits when you can down 5-6k calories in a day without showing it.

And of course, including the sedentary lifestyle you get at college, throw lots of drugs and alcohol on top of it and it just spirals out of control.

Me about 5 years ago, at my largest:

Wp3FArG.jpg

You'll get past feeling cringey about your old pics. Just own it, and know that you quite literally ate that person you used to be to transform into your new swoleself.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Getting laid off on November 30th. Probably a good thing as I have become way too comfortable in a position where my skills are underutilized. Time to start marketing myself. Are weighted muscle ups a productive skill to put on a resume? ha

JCX

4-6 here, too.

Where is the pain? Inside or outside of elbow (tennis or golfers elbow)? What kind of exercise or grip?

If its some type of bone injury - stop everything. Or its tennis elbow - the elbow isn't your problem, its your forearms.

As you grip things, pull, push, etc - your forearms are doing a lot of work building up a lot of scar tissue causing you to LOSE elasticity in forearm muscle. Muscles lose elasticity, puts greater stress on connective tissue in the elbow, causing tendon injuries.

Pull your arms towards you like a curl, make a fist and curl your wrist inwards to stretch the outside of your forearm to help with tennis elbow.

Extend your arm outward, palm up and bend your wrist backward to stretch your inside forearm to help with golfers elbow.

STRETCH YOUR FOREARMS EVERY DAY. I do while driving, eating, watching TV, etc. I have absolutely crippling tennis elbow in my left arm - I learned the above about elasticity, started stretching every day, no issues since. None. Keep your muscles loose and it will stretch as it needs removing stress from connective tissue.

Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up getting a massage, which included a lot of stretches similar to what you mentioned. Feels a lot better now.

mdsfx

Getting laid off on November 30th. Probably a good thing as I have become way too comfortable in a position where my skills are underutilized. Time to start marketing myself. Are weighted muscle ups a productive skill to put on a resume? ha
Sorry to hear that. I hope you find something you're happy with asap.

Also, don't mention anything about lifting. Just walk in to the interview with a dip belt + 100lbs on and grab the first thing above your head that you see.

ILoveBish

Good luck broseph.

entremet

Best of luck, Cooter. I've been there.

It's a nice jolt sometimes. I know I was getting too comfortable and it gave me the motivation to learn more skills and improve my interviewing skills.

Tap into your network first before just sending applications. Obviously do both. Much easier way to get on job that way.

BumRush

Sorry to hear that, bud. Is your industry / position in general downsizing or just your particular company?

Cooter

Thank you everyone. Yeah, I'm not too worried about it. I have time and my wife is a nurse now so extra shifts are available if needed

Best of luck, Cooter. I've been there.

It's a nice jolt sometimes. I know I was getting too comfortable and it gave me the motivation to learn more skills and improve my interviewing skills.

Tap into your network first before just sending applications. Obviously do both. Much easier way to get on job that way.
Absolutely. Most jobs are through contacts. Actually, every job I've had has been this way.

Sorry to hear that, bud. Is your industry / position in general downsizing or just your particular company?

It's not even my industry. I took this position 6 years ago when the mortgage industry blew up because it was stable and my wife was going to school. My position along with my other coworkers was simply eliminated and taken over by another department.

This is verbatim what happened to me too! Spending 5 days a week in the weightroom year round, cardio training, active year round doing whatever, plus football. You learn some really fucking horrible eating habits when you can down 5-6k calories in a day without showing it.

And of course, including the sedentary lifestyle you get at college, throw lots of drugs and alcohol on top of it and it just spirals out of control.

Me about 5 years ago, at my largest:

Wp3FArG.jpg

You'll get past feeling cringey about your old pics. Just own it, and know that you quite literally ate that person you used to be to transform into your new swoleself.

my old untrained pic, 5 years ago. maybe 6.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Fucking Donnie Thompson, Super D himself said I had a good deadlift form and I deadlift like he does, super efficient when I deadlifted at his gym just now. This man is one of the best all time power lifters and he just said my form was good. That's insane. He also gave me a tip I've never heard or read anywhere and when I did it my deadlift felt immediately more tight. Great day.

Cooter

Fucking Donnie Thompson, Super D himself said I had a good deadlift form and I deadlift like he does, super efficient when I deadlifted at his gym just now. This man is one of the best all time power lifters and he just said my form was good. That's insane. He also gave me a tip I've never heard or read anywhere and when I did it my deadlift felt immediately more tight. Great day.
Hey thanks for sharing the tip! I'll give it a try next time I deadlift. ;)

blackflag

Truly Awesome!

J. Bravo

That's pretty cool dude

sphinx

the piano man
very cool pics everyone and what a experience Brolic, congrats for that.

After putting it in the drawer for a long time I am deadlifting consistently again and I am really enjoying it.

For me the deadlift is "the" Strength exercise and doing it gives me some comfort or piece of mind, if that makes sense. For me, Strength goals put me in the right mindset.

Whenever I try to go specifically for the looks, I get annoyed and bored. If I think about getting things done and just that (meaning, I don't care about selfies, about being acknowledge by anyone, about how I should be looking like this but I look like that) then that's when I get the best results out of lifting and fitness, in every sense.

in short, I often have to tell my mind "shut the fuck up and lift that fucking weight! cut the crap already dammit"

Cooter

Thanks and lol Cooter, gotta keep them secret weapons.

I shared it on my FB page and it's hard to put into text. You will see it and I'll point it out next time I record mymdeads.
haha Fair enough. I'll look closely and ask questions next video. Very cool experience BTW.

ILoveBish

Sounds great brolic. Speaking of deadlift, great day at the gym. Got 5×280, 5×325 and 5x370 on deadlift. Still on 1750 calories and feeling awesome as heck. Tomorrow is bench and 5s week will be finished. Will likely start another extended fast right after.

Goddamn that was another tough turbo trainer session. Only 6 minute intervals, but each was hard enough to put me at 95% max HR.

I'm too old for this shit.

UrAvgGuy

Very cool experience Brolic, sounds like an amazing trip.

It's crazy seeing those before/after of you guys. Ridiculous ass transformations

Omzz

Any good sweatproof headphones you guys know of? Cause holy shit I've probably run through about 5 "sweatproof" headphones with one of the earbuds always dying out. Frustrating as hell since I sweat a ton

Would prefer some headphones which have that clip that goes around the ear since they end up falling down during my cardio workouts. Any help would be awesome

mkenyon

Banned
Any good sweatproof headphones you guys know of? Cause holy shit I've probably run through about 5 "sweatproof" headphones with one of the earbuds always dying out. Frustrating as hell since I sweat a ton

Would prefer some headphones which have that clip that goes around the ear since they end up falling down during my cardio workouts. Any help would be awesome
I've been using these for about 2 years now, with comply tips. This is during cardio and weightlifting. I sweat a *lot*.

I'd love to get some fitted earphones. For some reason I've never been able to find tips that will fit the inside of my right ear properly (the canal is much smaller than my left ear).

BumRush

Insane! That's incredible bud!!

Anyone out there using the Progression Android app? I love it, bought the Pro version. A couple of weeks back I started following the 'Underground Bodybuilding' program (with a couple of changes and additions) instead of the one suggested to me by gym staff (with a few changes) and it's not too bad.

Sure, I'm a weakling (weigh 57kg/125lb, deadlift & bench 45kg/100lb, squat 50kg/110lb, only really at the gym started this year), but this program is a lot more varied than the gym-suggested one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom