• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

M52B28

Banned
Involuntary cutting and gym skipping.

I can't even afford to pay my gym membership, and I don't even have money for groceries for the rest of this month.

I'm seriously scared for myself in terms of weight loss.

When I was lifting and working out, I was the happiest person ever, but I've fallen into a bit of depression and my days have been increasingly lethargic.

All I've had today is left over nuts and rice cakes.

Edit: found a can of Campbells chunky. Super salty, but it's all I've got.

I guess I'm feasting tonight. 😓😓

BumRush

Involuntary cutting and gym skipping.

I can't even afford to pay my gym membership, and I don't even have money for groceries for the rest of this month.

I'm seriously scared for myself in terms of weight loss.

When I was lifting and working out, I was the happiest person ever, but I've fallen into a bit of depression and my days have been increasingly lethargic.

All I've had today is left over nuts and rice cakes.

If there's anyone you can turn to for food I'd suggest that. Selling off possessions that aren't necessary is also advisable if you're considering eating nuts and rice cakes every meal.

While not the gym, consider doing a bodyweight routine to stay active. Start slow and get into the groove.

Good luck man...things will get better

despire

Ugh measuring your waist accurately and the same way every time is practically impossible. You have to watch out that you are not pushing your stomach out or pulling it in. On top of that if the measuring tape moves even a centimeter up or down at any place it can change the numbers by at least a centimeter on the tape.

At least when you contract your abs you can't push or pull your stomach but you stil need to find the exact same spot to measure every time. Shit's practically impossible.

Thank you everyone. Yeah, I'm not too worried about it. I have time and my wife is a nurse now so extra shifts are available if needed
Just getting caught up with this thread. Sorry to hear big guy, I wish you all the best, but glad to see you going into the situation with a good attitude already. That's probably my favorite trait of yours, you've always got a good outlook on everything.

BumRush

Just getting caught up with this thread. Sorry to hear big guy, I wish you all the best, but glad to see you going into the situation with a good attitude already. That's probably my favorite trait of yours, you've always got a good outlook on everything.

Mine is probably the fact that he looks like a Greek God...followed closely by his positive attitude

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Means a lot. Thanks.

Mine is probably the fact that he looks like a Greek God...followed closely by his positive attitude
:) ha You're killing me

mkenyon

Banned
The fitness shaming on GAF is always a really sad thing to see. Not because I'm offended, but because you generally know what the shape of the person is on the other end who's being irrationally offensive. I was there once.

Irobot82

The fitness shaming on GAF is always a really sad thing to see. Not because I'm offended, but because you generally know what the shape of the person is on the other end who's being irrationally offensive. I was there once.

Where's the latest shaming going on?

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?

Yeah, seems to be accepted on this site too which is a shame.

sphinx

the piano man
speaking about OHP, I want to report that the problems I had been having with that lift on my lower back were mainly due to... being rusty! :O

I had been neglecting certain things that were standard in my repertoire, in particular Hyperextensions and since I went back to some older exercises like that one and others, it's a world of difference.

I've been stretching a lot more, more focused and like I actually mean it.

I found some stretching exerices for forearms and wrists, words cannnot express how valuable they are and they are pretty simple too. ,

today I did 105 lbs x 5 and it felt like before, but better cause I have better form now,

I am slowly getting back into the game and that's only thing that matters.

I got one back pic I liked a couple of days ago but I don't know how to pose or make it look right and my small arms make back pics kind of pointless but I still thought "ok"

small_zpsrxaphvmb.jpg

Cagey

Banned
Anyone tried the DIY preworkout mix process? I priced out a few ingredients and generally comes in cheaper than standard deals on preworkouts, 50 cents a serving compared to roughly 80-90 cents a serving.

The savings are nice but they're nothing earth-shattering. Wanted to know if anyone has thoughts on mixing, whether selecting the ingredient/dosage made a difference, how difficult it was to flavor the concoction, etc.

ILoveBish

Got some bad sleep last night, it was freaking hot in so cal again last night. Didn't get to sleep till almost 2 and woke up at 8. Went up .8lbs. Hit the gym and felt really tired. I didn't really feel any energy till the very last set of accessories. I still however hit all my reps on bench, 5x160, 5x185 and 5x210. Followed by 10x160.

Missed a few sets on incline press, but then woke up and killed it on cgbp right after. Feel pretty damn good right now. On an extended fast ATM, would like to make it till Sunday but have guests over tomorrow, so might have to cut it short. Another 5s week done and finished.

Anyone tried the DIY preworkout mix process? I priced out a few ingredients and generally comes in cheaper than standard deals on preworkouts, 50 cents a serving compared to roughly 80-90 cents a serving.

The savings are nice but they're nothing earth-shattering. Wanted to know if anyone has thoughts on mixing, whether selecting the ingredient/dosage made a difference, how difficult it was to flavor the concoction, etc.

Have been doing it for years now. I tend to use the amounts that have been proven to work in studies. Many preworkouts cheap out on the expensive ingredients and go over the top on the things that make you tingly and hyper.

mkenyon

Banned
You're running too, right?

Ever since I recovered from my ankle sprain and started running again, I've been really slow on my squat progress. When I get in that rack, and I've already finished a 3 mile run earlier in the day (separated by about 6 hours), it's just torture. Good torture, but still.

mdsfx

You're running too, right?

Ever since I recovered from my ankle sprain and started running again, I've been really slow on my squat progress. When I get in that rack, and I've already finished a 3 mile run earlier in the day (separated by about 6 hours), it's just torture. Good tortur MKe, but still.
Yep, but I had to cut down. I only do 1 distance run (8-11 miles), 1 interval session and 1 light run each week. Other days I'm cycling or stair climbing. One day completely off.

Mixing up my cardio like this has helped me bounce back from injuries and stay injury free so far.

I'm going to whine to get it off my chest, and then get back on with it...

...worked my arse off, got a really 3D looking four pack at the top of my abs, but the loose skin at the bottom makes me look like shit. I'd go as far as saying that it actually makes me look fat. I also wont have sex with my top off now because if I bend over it just fucking hangs off me and looks grotesque.

Still have a little fat to lose (probably a percent or two) to get where I want with the rest of my body, but I'm going to be glad to get back to bulking. I don't give a shit if it negatively affects my cycling, I'm going to put on enough weight so as to fill out the skin a bit. Really depresses me. :(

BumRush

Reason #72 that I love working out in my garage...pull / squat day feels infinitely better barefoot.

Psycho...do what makes you happy. Put on a little muscle / size, take that shirt off and show your wife you mean business!!

ILoveBish

The loose skin struggle is real. I struggle with it all the time. I look so much worse from it. But it is what it is. You either do the surgery, bulk up, or just accept it.

Cagey

Banned
Have been doing it for years now. I tend to use the amounts that have been proven to work in studies. Many preworkouts cheap out on the expensive ingredients and go over the top on the things that make you tingly and hyper.
Yeah the Google storm earlier provided a standard shopping and dosage list. I'm only going to use caffeine pills (200-300), beta alanine (2-3mg), citrulline malate (6-9mg depending) and creatine mono plus some sort of flavoring agent. I like the tingling and I enjoy the pump so plain caffeine doesn't cut it.

How much do you need to drown the flavor of the ingredients you use to make it bearable to drink? From memory of unflavored BCAAs, even hiding it was difficult sometimes. Does a Mio or some Gatorade powder (if you want the carbs) do the trick?

halfbeast

Banned
wait, so there's a bunch of loose skinners here? how loose and how skinny is it then? if y'all don't mind me asking.

my flab's still kind of fat'ish and I don't know if I can change it. I asked a doctor once and he gave me some psychedelic response about some people can bend their fingers and some people can't (I think he was tripping on acid)...

Yeah the Google storm earlier provided a standard shopping and dosage list. I'm only going to use caffeine pills (200-300), beta alanine (2-3mg), citrulline malate (6-9mg depending) and creatine mono plus some sort of flavoring agent. I like the tingling and I enjoy the pump so plain caffeine doesn't cut it.

How much do you need to drown the flavor of the ingredients you use to make it bearable to drink? From memory of unflavored BCAAs, even hiding it was difficult sometimes. Does a Mio or some Gatorade powder (if you want the carbs) do the trick?

Are you sure that's milligrams... because I'm using gram equivalents of what you've got there! (2g beta alanine, 3g citrulline malate 2x a day, 5g creatine, 1g taurine).

As for flavouring, I use concentrated squash. It seems to be something we only really use in the UK though as I've not seen it much travelling around. Other option is buying flavoured BCAA (they really do taste like ass on their own).

wait, so there's a bunch of loose skinners here? how loose and how skinny is it then? if y'all don't mind me asking.

There are a few pics here and there in this thread from the braver of us (not me) which might give you an idea. For me, it's to the point where it all sags in on itself, but my loose skin is made worse by pretty severe stretch marks. If I was to bend over I'd say it sags out by more than an inch.

Your doctor was right though. Not really any way of telling if it'll go over time, but if you have stretch marks too then the answer is almost certainly not. There are treatments (fractional laser resurfacing for stretch marks, skin removal for looseness), but they aren't 100% and skin removal comes with its own problems.

Azulsky

my flab's still kind of fat'ish and I don't know if I can change it. I asked a doctor once and he gave me some psychedelic response about some people can bend their fingers and some people can't (I think he was tripping on acid)...

Something like this. Skin tone is about right too. Thank god for Under Armour.

Your doctor may have been tripping, or he may just be referring to variations in skin elasticity that come with genetics. I am going to say both.

Anywho, time for Chest + Arms day, need to get there before this PT shows up with his soccer mom cadre

halfbeast

Banned
Something like this. Skin tone is about right too. Thank god for Under Armour.

Your doctor may have been tripping, or he may just be referring to variations in skin elasticity that come with genetics. I am going to say both.

Anywho, time for Chest + Arms day, need to get there before this PT shows up with his soccer mom cadre

There are a few pics here and there in this thread from the braver of us (not me) which might give you an idea. For me, it's to the point where it all sags in on itself, but my loose skin is made worse by pretty severe stretch marks. If I was to bend over I'd say it sags out by more than an inch.

Your doctor was right though. Not really any way of telling if it'll go over time, but if you have stretch marks too then the answer is almost certainly not. There are treatments (fractional laser resurfacing for stretch marks, skin removal for looseness), but they aren't 100% and skin removal comes with its own problems.

thanks for the replies! I didn't mean if the overall loose skin would disappear (it won't I lost a lot of weight in 2000, that's now 15 years ago), mine doesn't look like a popped balloon, I can't stuff it in clothes. it's more like a water balloon that's only, uh, half full? imagine a belly on top of my belly. I'm just curious if I could get it "popped balloon'ish" with a severe diet or something?

Mr. X

Rebuying clothing for your slimmer self is too expensive. Have 2 interviews Monday and had to buy a better fitting suit ($300) since my old ones are way too big and loose now.

It was the right time to get a new suit anyway, I've stopped losing weight a while ago.

thanks for the replies! I didn't mean if the overall loose skin would disappear (it won't I lost a lot of weight in 2000, that's now 15 years ago), mine doesn't look like a popped balloon, I can't stuff it in clothes. it's more like a water balloon that's only, uh, half full? imagine a belly on top of my belly. I'm just curious if I could get it "popped balloon'ish" with a severe diet or something?

Guess there's no harm in trying... it's odd, that area on me seems to still be retaining fat even though I've got next to none anywhere else. It's almost like unless it's properly attached, it wont burn the fat there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom