• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
frq6T9C.jpg

Anyone have any suggestions for stretches / etc to help with pain in the outside of my elbow? Doesn't seem to be getting any better and whilst I should probably ease off on the greasing the groove stuff, I'm quite enjoying it so I'd rather not.

JoeNut

Hi all, gomad has dropped off mainly due to me being on the road a lot for work and not having time/ability to drink so much milk, i am still doing at least 2 pints a day though, weight is more consistant now.

Just reading into this IF, a possibility for my cutting stage once i get there maybe?

BumRush

Anyone have any suggestions for stretches / etc to help with pain in the outside of my elbow? Doesn't seem to be getting any better and whilst I should probably ease off on the greasing the groove stuff, I'm quite enjoying it so I'd rather not.

One arm band pull-aparts (not sure if that's the name, but you essentially pivot your elbow from inside to outside your body) might help you, bud. Also, throw some reverse curls into your workout to strengthen that area if it's weak.

mdsfx

That's reasonably normal day to day fluctuation, bud. Nothing to worry about.
It just shows me that I can longer weigh myself just twice a month to measure progress, because either or both of this numbers could be misleadingly high.

One arm band pull-aparts (not sure if that's the name, but you essentially pivot your elbow from inside to outside your body) might help you, bud. Also, throw some reverse curls into your workout to strengthen that area if it's weak.

I do the former as part of my main workout warmup, so that's good at least. I'm not sure what a reverse curl is though, I shall look it up.

JoeNut

The last two months I have really tried to push the IF philosophy to the limit and increased my overall calories from 3k to around 4500-5k.

The result has been better than I could have hoped for. I was able to gain 10lbs while maintaining an extremely low BF%. I have never been able to put that much weight on and stay that lean using any other method ever. Not only that but my strength went up across the board allowing me to hit personal best milestones with every single lift.

IF is unbelievable. I have tried to break it or find a downside to it and at least for what I am trying to achieve it seems infallible.

So BLR, can you please explain a bit more about what you're doing, i've just read all the IF post and it seems that you basically fast as much as possible from after you've slept, and have a window where you can eat, 4-8 hours.
Can you tell us how you're eating 4500 calories in that window, and also how long you're fasting for please? you're looking great

BumRush

So BLR, can you please explain a bit more about what you're doing, i've just read all the IF post and it seems that you basically fast as much as possible from after you've slept, and have a window where you can eat, 4-8 hours.
Can you tell us how you're eating 4500 calories in that window, and also how long you're fasting for please? you're looking great

In case Bruce doesn't pop back in for a while...you nailed it but there's nothing crazy behind the process (well, eating 4500 cals of clean food in < 8 hours isn't easy but Bruce is a beast). Eat what you would have eaten throughout the day in a much shorter period.

Mugaaz

Completely failed at OHP @115lbs, and now i feel all sad because I see all the posts about Brolic's 200+ beasting of it on the last few pages. I couldn't even do 3X3, I think I might have reached my limit there :(

Oh please. It's going to take at least a year, and you're going to have a lot more failures on the way to repping 200 on OHP. The only limit is in your head. It takes a lot of effort over a long time.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Oh please. It's going to take at least a year, and you're going to have a lot more failures on the way to repping 200 on OHP. The only limit is in your head. It takes a lot of effort over a long time.
Repping 200 is an exclusive club. My 1RM isn't much more than that. You're gonna have to be a big boy if your goal is to hit a 200lb OHP for reps.

Mugaaz

Repping 200 is an exclusive club. My 1RM isn't much more than that. You're gonna have to be a big boy if your goal is to hit a 200lb OHP for reps.

You're going to need to be 200+ and trained for years. Just pointing out that if you can't maintain LP past 115 this isn't "your limit".

I wanna know, are there any bad foods to eat post workout? I've read that fast burning carbs are good, but does that mean I can eat stuff with high sugar like chocolate and sugary drinks? Does it depend on whether you are looking to gain or loose weight? I understand this could be a stupid question but I've wondering this lately.

Also, when do I take l-carnitine? I have quite a large free sample and want to use it when cutting.

BumRush

I wanna know, are there any bad foods to eat post workout? I've read that fast burning carbs are good, but does that mean I can eat stuff with high sugar like chocolate and sugary drinks? Does it depend on whether you are looking to gain or loose weight? I understand this could be a stupid question but I've wondering this lately.

If you're looking to have that 8% bodyfat body, I'd avoid having pop tarts every time you exercise. What goals / look are you going for?

If you're looking to have that 8% bodyfat body, I'd avoid having pop tarts every time you exercise. What goals / look are you going for?

I'm going for size. I was naturally a skinny person and I haven't really put on too much size in the last two years.
What types of food would you recommend? I usually have whey protein in half a liter of milk post workout plus a banana or something with carbs.

SeanR1221

Gwaaaaa?! OK, to recap:

Tuesday: 156 lbs
Wednesday: 159 lbs
Thursday: 155.5 lbs

I quit.

Don't let it freak you out man.

I was 194 a few days ago, but I've been 196 for 3 days in a row, yet my belt is down another notch. Remember! 2% water variance is not only normal it's to be expected.

SeanR1221

So I'm considering yesterday my start of focusing more on aesthetics and chasing the pump rather than chasing strength. I'll still maintain my strength the best I can, but I'm ready to go in this new direction.

I took some before pictures and put them up on Instagram to increase the accountability.

Doing sets of 15-20 yesterday was really weird. Gotta get used to that. I'm gonna give this a good 3-4 months and see where it takes me

Cooter

Cooter is sub-200, weight-wise. He's just a freak of nature.
My heavy day for OHP is 185x3x3. I might have 200x2 but then again I might not. Such a difficult lift. If I'm a freak then we're freak brothers because you're jacked!

I really don't have any goals in terms of what weights I want to be able to lift in my program, I just want to keep improving constantly. Its frustrating in the sense that every other lift is improving no problem, with the exception of OHP. I also didn't think I'd be stalling on any lifts this quickly into the program as well.

Random post, but this community is the only GAF community I've ever felt at home in. I've been on GAF for like over a decade and never invested as much of my time and interest in any other thread/community.

I say that even though I lurk this thread more often than not. :p

BumRush

I'm going for size. I was naturally a skinny person and I haven't really put on too much size in the last two years.
What types of food would you recommend? I usually have whey protein in half a liter of milk post workout plus a banana or something with carbs.

Then yes, you can definitely have simple sugars. I usually make a protein shake with milk, bananas, protein, peanut butter and oats...and have that with a big chocolate chip cookie. The simple carbs in the cookie will act like a delivery system for the protein. Likewise, donuts, cake, pie, etc. all work but don't go crazy.

BumRush

So I'm considering yesterday my start of focusing more on aesthetics and chasing the pump rather than chasing strength. I'll still maintain my strength the best I can, but I'm ready to go in this new direction.

I took some before pictures and put them up on Instagram to increase the accountability.

Doing sets of 15-20 yesterday was really weird. Gotta get used to that. I'm gonna give this a good 3-4 months and see where it takes me

Looking amazing dude...your arms are huge.

My heavy day for OHP is 185x3x3. I might have 200x2 but then again I might not. Such a difficult lift. If I'm a freak then we're freak brothers because you're jacked!

Thanks, brother. I'm finally feeling my strength come back (135x3x8 OHP flew up today...i felt like I could have thrown that shit through the ceiling) and my diet is back to where I need it so I'll get back to posting pics soon.

Random post, but this community is the only GAF community I've ever felt at home in. I've been on GAF for like over a decade and never invested as much of my time and interest in any other thread/community.

Dude, i feel the same way. I'm genuinely motivated by you, Cooter, Brolic, Sean, FE, mdsfx, bish, bruce, szu, psycho, blackflag, etc. etc. etc. (apologies if I left you out...I'm sure you've motivated me) and would not have the health, strength and aesthetics I do without this thread.

SeanR1221

Looking amazing dude...your arms are huge.

Thanks, brother. I'm finally feeling my strength come back (135x3x8 OHP flew up today...i felt like I could have thrown that shit through the ceiling) and my diet is back to where I need it so I'll get back to posting pics soon.

Thanks! I'm also heavily taking advantage of light/angles but hey, that's why it's a swolfie :p

Cooter

Sean, it's happening! Although 15-20 reps seems excessive unless you're doing shrugs, shoulder raises, or the occasional 20 rep squat day. You can get plenty shredded or pumped or whatever you call it with lower (8-12) rep work. Join my hybrid powerlifter/bodybuilder club!

I feel the same way.

SeanR1221

Sean, it's happening! Although 15-20 reps seems excessive unless you're doing shrugs, shoulder raises, or the occasional 20 rep squat day. You can get plenty shredded or pumped or whatever you call it with lower (8-12) rep work. Join my hybrid powerlifter/bodybuilder club!

I feel the same way.

Regarding what coot said though...you're doing 20 reps on EVERYTHING?

Noooo just 20 on some lighter accessory stuff. Think face pulls, cable curls, lunges, etc.

Compounds are still in the 1,3,5 rep ranges

Cooter

Noooo just 20 on some lighter accessory stuff. Think face pulls, cable curls, lunges, etc.

Perfect! I seriously can't wait to see where you take this. You're 5'8 so I can see you being a huge 170-175 and DLing 475-500lbs!

BumRush

Ahh, much better. Haha, I was scared for you.

I do most of my cable exercises in that 15-20 range as well. The burn / pump is ridiculous.

Cooter

Ahh, much better. Haha, I was scared for you.

I do most of my cable exercises in that 15-20 range as well. The burn / pump is ridiculous.
I stop at 15 and pyramid down to 10-12. I just can't bring myself to do 20 cable push downs. I don't know what it is. Ha

BumRush

I stop at 15 and pyramid down to 10-12. I just can't bring myself to do 20 cable push downs. I don't know what it is. Ha

Agreed. 20 is a lot. I do 20 for cable flys but it feels like it's tearing your chest apart.

Also I do a lat pull down tri-set (wide grip, narrow grip, palms in) that equates to 21 reps with no rest in between.

ILoveBish

So weighed in this morning, 223.8 non fasted state. Damn, started at 343.5. Basically 120 down. I am wearing a medium tank now everyday, first time in my adult life. I just feel so in control now. I decided to do another 72 hour fast due to not being able to go to the gym for the rest of the week. Have 2 weddings back to back, one this Saturday, one next Sunday.

Looking real forward to the 209.9 or below range. Very curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom