• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been working out at work during slow times for the past couple of weeks now. It's mostly resistance bands, a few body weight, and the ab wheel. I've moved up from a 40lb band to a 60 lb band this week and it's kicking my ass.

My issue is this: I've been working more towards endurance because I can't do progressive overload to gain more muscle. To that end I've just been tossing in exercises that I can do in the space I'm provided with out checking to see if I am over training certain areas. Should I not worry because I'm using resistance bands and not real weights? Should I focus on only doing one exercise per muscle group? Should my last set on each exercise be to failure?

I'm not too worried because I still feel good that I was able to get some exercise in during the down time at work. It works up a sweat but doesn't take place of my cardio.

If I'm just starting with a starter's program, which diets would be best for me? I'm 5'7.5ish, 145 lbs, so I'd preferably like to start with losing some fat first.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Nice work dude! How are you liking the chains so far?

I like them. Taking a bit of advice from Donnie Thompson and using them to increase my max work. So now after main work the majority of the weight on my joker sets comes from chains. Gonna see how that works out.

BumRush

I like them. Taking a bit of advice from Donnie Thompson and using them to increase my max work. So now after main work the majority of the weight on my joker sets comes from chains. Gonna see how that works out.

Have you tried them for bench, squats, etc. as well? Or just DL?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
At the end of an exercise, you continue doing that exercise, increasing the weight by 5-10% at a time until you can't hit the desired reps.

What's a joker set?

Yeah, that's how I implement it. Also based on how you feel. Today after my top two sets I was done.

fuckin beastmode right there

You're looking a bit more cut than previous vids. Or maybe muscle just bulging out that much more.

Thanks bud, it's a bit of both, deads just do that to me though. My back is pretty big at the moment.

Have you tried them for bench, squats, etc. as well? Or just DL?

Tried them on squats and deads. Gonna try them on OHP next week. Gonna be interesting.

entremet

That moment when you lifting heavier but you're still the same, heh at least I'm gaining strength. Guess I gotta increase my food intake blah.

Depends on your goals.

A lot of strength gains are neuromuscular adaptations that don't have anything to do muscle gain.

Depends on your goals.

A lot of strength gains are neuromuscular adaptations that don't have anything to do muscle gain.

I'm trying to hit 180 and add some muscle along the way. Currently at 167 I got a fast metabolism so adding weight is kinda hard for me despite eating a lot. I was taking whey protein a few weeks ago but for some reason it was messing up my sleep patterns so I stopped.

despire

I do Agile 8 as a general warmup and mobility work. Then it's 1-4 warm up sets per compound if needed. That's enough for me. I should do more mobility work and stretching at home but it always slips my mind.. :/

If I'm just starting with a starter's program, which diets would be best for me? I'm 5'7.5ish, 145 lbs, so I'd preferably like to start with losing some fat first.

Maybe eat around your maintenance (you need to figure that out) or slightly less. As a beginner you can gain strength easily at first while dropping fat. Take advantage of that while it lasts.

It is advisable to take advantage of those beginner muscle gains so don't go too low on calories. You can always lose the fat later. You will look better if you gain a few pounds of solid muscle while/before losing the fat.

ILoveBish

Cleaning the closet out and installing shelves, i feel hungry which is odd. I'll go ahead and eat a bit extra today just because i know what real hunger feels like at this point vs body signaling its time for food.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I'm trying to hit 180 and add some muscle along the way. Currently at 167 I got a fast metabolism so adding weight is kinda hard for me despite eating a lot. I was taking whey protein a few weeks ago but for some reason it was messing up my sleep patterns so I stopped.
Your definition of eating a lot is probably not very much. Eat 4,000 calories a day with moderate exercise and you will gain weight. If you don't then go see a doctor.

entremet

I wouldn't worry about whey protein. It's not something magical. It's just protein and calories.

I would make sure you're eating enough. Use the OP resources. You'll need a modest calorie surplus if you wanna add good quality mass.

Whey is a cheap and high quality protein source, but as Cooter says, you need to eat big to get big.

Your definition of eating a lot is probably not very much. Eat 4,000 calories a day with moderate exercise and you will gain weight. If you don't then go see a doctor.

I wouldn't worry about whey protein. It's not something magical. It's just protein and calories.

I would make sure you're eating enough. Use the OP resources. You'll need a modest calorie surplus if you wanna add good quality mass.

Whey is a cheap and high quality protein source, but as Cooter says, you need to eat big to get big.

Duly noted, I mean living in nyc I'm exposed to all kinds of junk food but at times I watch myself don't wanna die in process of gaining. At the very least I'm lifting heavier and feel like I got more strength.

I do Agile 8 as a general warmup and mobility work. Then it's 1-4 warm up sets per compound if needed. That's enough for me. I should do more mobility work and stretching at home but it always slips my mind.. :/

Maybe eat around your maintenance (you need to figure that out) or slightly less. As a beginner you can gain strength easily at first while dropping fat. Take advantage of that while it lasts.

It is advisable to take advantage of those beginner muscle gains so don't go too low on calories. You can always lose the fat later. You will look better if you gain a few pounds of solid muscle while/before losing the fat.

Is there a specific way to eat (other than protein) so that I can gain muscle while losing fat? I thought cutting/bulking was just playing with calorie surpluses/defecits?

despire

Is there a specific way to eat (other than protein) so that I can gain muscle while losing fat? I thought cutting/bulking was just playing with calorie surpluses/defecits?

Not really, just be aware of your total calories. That is the most important thing.

And you thought correct.

3phemeral

Just tried these banana protein pancakes that someone posted earlier only I didn't have certain ingredients:

1.5 Cup Steel Cut Oats (120g)
1/2 Cup (113g) Fat Free Cottage Cheese
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract

2 Large Eggs
1 Scoop Double Chocolate ON Protein Powder
2 Medium Bananas (cut into slivers)
2 TBSP Nonfat Milk powdered milk
1/2 cup water
3 tsp cocoa powder​

Came out perfect. I just added some raspberry preserves and sugar-free syrup and it's tasty. Not as fluffy as real pancakes but it tastes great and doesn't come out looking like a crepe/tortilla that I've had happen with other recipes that primarily rely on 6 eggs or more. Here's a pic without any toppings + syrup.

qArwK3

Cooked evenly, which rarely happens for me with protein pancakes as the protein powder seems to cook too quickly or creates a skin around the pancake that can be unpalatable.

A+. Will cook again.

ILoveBish

Damn. It took a lot of food for my hunger to go away. 4 eggs, mixed with 3 tbsp fresh parm cheese and trader joes 21 spices, cooked in butter, coffee, 4oz of pecans, and 4oz of salami. Very unusual.

mdsfx

The last two days I really buckled down on my diet to get back into good habits. It's funny how if you give in once it only makes it more likely to happen again, but each time you avoid/refuse junk (or just eating too much) it makes it easier to do the same next time.

Yesterday my work brought in my favorite BBQ of all time and my wife made my favorite chocolate brownies. I'm sure I could have worked them into my macros if I really tried, but it wasn't worth it knowing that if I caved in it would only make it harder next time. Avoiding both actually felt good, especially going to bed having hit my calories and macros right on the nose.

This weekend is a true test. The apple orchard

OMFG what I would do to those cider mill donuts...

I cheat like crazy on weekends these days, and at the end of every week I'm lower than before when I cheated. I call it the Cooter protocol.

8lbs lost since my heaviest point on Monday... and I fully expect to stick on another 5lbs this weekend, and lose at least another 7lbs next week.

mdsfx

My problem is if I take cheating too far I tend to carry the habit into the week when I'm supposed to be focused on eating well.

I have a very addictive nature when it comes to almost everything lol

mdsfx

Feck: going on set 5 of 5 on bench at 205x5. Barely got the last set up. I want this so bad lol

Edit: got it!!!

yogloo

Just tried these banana protein pancakes that someone posted earlier only I didn't have certain ingredients:

1.5 Cup Steel Cut Oats (120g)
1/2 Cup (113g) Fat Free Cottage Cheese
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract

2 Large Eggs
1 Scoop Double Chocolate ON Protein Powder
2 Medium Bananas (cut into slivers)
2 TBSP Nonfat Milk powdered milk
1/2 cup water
3 tsp cocoa powder​

Came out perfect. I just added some raspberry preserves and sugar-free syrup and it's tasty. Not as fluffy as real pancakes but it tastes great and doesn't come out looking like a crepe/tortilla that I've had happen with other recipes that primarily rely on 6 eggs or more. Here's a pic without any toppings + syrup.

Cooked evenly, which rarely happens for me with protein pancakes as the protein powder seems to cook too quickly or creates a skin around the pancake that can be unpalatable.

A+. Will cook again.

I am stealing that recipe.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I cheat like crazy on weekends these days, and at the end of every week I'm lower than before when I cheated. I call it the Cooter protocol.

8lbs lost since my heaviest point on Monday... and I fully expect to stick on another 5lbs this weekend, and lose at least another 7lbs next week.
lol

It's amazing isn't it? I understand the logic behind it but it still surprises me.

Damn. It took a lot of food for my hunger to go away. 4 eggs, mixed with 3 tbsp fresh parm cheese and trader joes 21 spices, cooked in butter, coffee, 4oz of pecans, and 4oz of salami. Very unusual.
scbu.gif

At the end of the day does is it really come down to just calories in and calories out? I'm craving Chinese food so bad right now, but Ive been avoiding carbs 4 days of the week.

bchamba

At the end of the day does is it really come down to just calories in and calories out? I'm craving Chinese food so bad right now, but Ive been avoiding carbs 4 days of the week.

You'll hold on to more water once you have carbs again so the number on the scale will go up by a couple pounds but you won't be putting on fat if you're still in a caloric deficit.

I actually tested this a couple of weeks ago for the hell of it. Basically ate massively sugary foods for my carbs but kept my macro / calorie intake the same. I put on a couple of lbs over the first few days and then lost it again a few days later.

Though don't try this if you're Bish. I believe, like the Gremlins, you basically get an evil version when carbs are introduced into the diet.

ILoveBish

Up 1.6lbs to 224.4, no biggie. Expected.

feelsbadman.png

I actually tested this a couple of weeks ago for the hell of it. Basically ate massively sugary foods for my carbs but kept my macro / calorie intake the same. I put on a couple of lbs over the first few days and then lost it again a few days later.

Though don't try this if you're Bish. I believe, like the Gremlins, you basically get an evil version when carbs are introduced into the diet.

You don't want to see me carb'd up. Trust me.

So I just got measured so as to work out my "scientifically correct" best width for bench pressing with dodgy shoulders, and man... it's a much, much closer grip than I would have imagined. If it saves my shoulders though, I'm all for it.

Anyone here have experience with the NutriBullet? Is it worth it?

I have a nutrininja, which is an excellent bit of kit (basically the same thing, but a bit fancier). If you go that way, make sure you get the biggest cup though.

exclusiveOffer480_hero.jpg

Faiz

Holy hell.

Just found out Lava Sauce is back.

Breaking from the clean eatting tonight to celebrate with a Volcano Quesarrito!

Azulsky

I got thrown an emotional curve ball this morning and as I came to learn upon my first squat set that apparently depleted my energy levels.

Hopefully I can rebound for chest action tomorrow morning.
Need to at least pretend to exercise before the craft beer festival + steakhouse + bar hopping bachelor party action gets going.

One thing I did learn. Wider grip on front squat makes it easier......dafuq

blackflag

Just FYI Elitefts.com is having a big sale today.

I just got the SS Yoke Bar for 100 dollars off. My shoulders can't handle back squats anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom