• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, silly question time regarding sweet potatoes. They are not a culinary staple here so I'm not sure..

Would it be better to prepare and eat them with their skin or without? I eat all my potatoes with the skin on but the sweet potato skins are much thicker and I'm not sure what their texture is when boiled/cooked/grilled. I've always eaten them without the skin.

I know it's not dangerous to eat them or anything but what I'd like to know is if you people like eating sweet potatoes with or without the skin? Mainly interested in this because naturally most of the fiber and nutrients are in the skin.

I used to eat them without the skin, but a year or so ago I became too lazy to peel the skin off. They taste perfectly fine with skin.

ILoveBish

I finally found short shorts for the gym. I think they're surfing shorts. Found them at macys in some random rack. I'll take a pic soon. My note 4 barely fits inside the pocket.

I finally found short shorts for the gym. I think they're surfing shorts. Found them at macys in some random rack. I'll take a pic soon. My note 4 barely fits inside the pocket.
How short we talking about. Rugby short. Butt cheek showing short.

I ordered some shorts and chalk too.

Azulsky

I'm still confused about how calories burned relates to calories eaten, though. My recommended caloric intake on MFP is 1560. An average day of exercise I'll burn between 400 to 600. I know the general idea of losing weight is burning more calories than I'm taking in, but does that mean I should be burning 1500 calories a day? Do I burn calories just by going about a normal day?

Like, I've eaten 2100 calories today, but I went on a run and a long walk and burned about 800. Are the 800 calories undone by the amount I've eaten? I'm still kinda confused how all this works.

In my experience it is mostly about dietary changes. I think exercise is very important but I think for a sedentary person even taking a 5k walk 3-4 times a week is a night/day difference. I lost 150lbs before I even went into a gym, and the only exercise I did was walking or stationary bike. The rest was calorie control.

The way I look at how daily exercise fits into calorie counting is that you can only accurately account for consistent output and input. For calorie targets I started at Basal Metabolic Rate and add maybe 20% so 1500 turns to 1800 as long as I am consistently exercising. Then you need to track weight over some period of time and look back and see how much it changed. That is the most reliable tracking you are going to get.

Many people I know on MFP try to do it on a day by day basis with activity trackers. Don't know how well that works. But I can say with a certainty that if I show up to the gym 5 days a week and eat roughly to my macros/calorie goal that the scale wont budge over a long period(90 days) of time.

Its reasonable certain that, within normal conditions, its better for your overall health to eat x + y food and exercise away y than it is to just eat x.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
I underestimated what I did to my hamstring. Hopefully it's just a mild strain. Still going to limp my way to the gym later.

mdsfx

Many people I know on MFP try to do it on a day by day basis with activity trackers. Don't know how well that works. But I can say with a certainty that if I show up to the gym 5 days a week and eat roughly to my macros/calorie goal that the scale wont budge over a long period(90 days) of time.

Its reasonable certain that, within reasonable conditions, its better for your overall health to eat x + y food and exercise away y than it is to just eat x.

I actually do it daily only because my calories burned aren't consistent. So I use the recommended calories for maintenance of a sedentary (little to no activity) person and just eat that, knowing that reach workout will burn 500-1000 depending on the day, always keeping me in a defecit.

I eat 2k calories a day* at age 32, 5'9", 155lbs.

*except for weekends and holidays where I gain half of it back lol

Servbot24

Banned
I'm usually at the gym for 45 minutes or so. Just go all out and get it over with, no need to stand around or go on for too long.

I wear my baggiest basketball shorts for lifting. No one's gonna see my snowdrift thighs.

UrAvgGuy

I actually do it daily only because my calories burned aren't consistent. So I use the recommended calories for maintenance of a sedentary (little to no activity) person and just eat that, knowing that reach workout will burn 500-1000 depending on the day, always keeping me in a defecit.

I eat 2k calories a day* at age 32, 5'9", 155lbs.

*except for weekends and holidays where I gain half of it back lol

Pretty much what I do as well. It's easier for me to manage plus keeps me in a deficit while cutting.

ILoveBish

Down to 222.8 this morning, lowest ever non-fasted state.

Christ, I'm usually only just about done with my warmup / mobility work after 40 minutes.

Why.jpg. really, stretching takes me 3 min, then my warm up reps are plenty to get limber.

How short we talking about. Rugby short. Butt cheek showing short.

I ordered some shorts and chalk too.

Not butt cheek but shorter then the rugby shorts I've been using.

Same. But I'm almost 40 :/.

Yeah I think he's established himself well as some kind of inhuman monster hahah.

I just recently turned 37, and previous to working out, I was the laziest person you could think of. Seriously, I'm as ordinary as it gets lol.

I wear my baggiest basketball shorts for lifting. No one's gonna see my snowdrift thighs.

Dem legs need to breathe brah.

Faiz

Why.jpg. really, stretching takes me 3 min, then my warm up reps are plenty to get limber.

Foam roll quads, hamstrings, IT bands, hip flexors, calves, glutes, then stretching each. Mobility excersizes for shoulders and ankles (both tend to be weak spots and prone to injury if I ignore them). Then warm up sets, 5 sets of 5, depending on the day anywhere from 5-10 minutes.

Honestly it probably wouldn't take quite as long as 40 if I weren't doing all this immediately after rolling out of bed in the morning, but that's my life right now. But yeah if I get up at 5:20 I'm lucky to start work sets by 6 am.

I just recently turned 37, and previous to working out, I was the laziest person you could think of. Seriously, I'm as ordinary as it gets lol.

Too modest, man. Your ability to fast, lose weight, all while gaining strength is well out of the ordinary. I generally do 16 hour fast everyday and for weightloss I can rock it... But I can't avoid the strength loss that comes with it. I'm down 14 lbs, but lifts are down about 6% depending on the lift and day.

Edit: and please understand when I say "inhuman monster" I mean it in the most complimentary way possible! :D

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah. I do four compounds per session. Old school bodybuilder style.

My body just loves it. When I do splits, I don't feel like I'm trying hard.
Same. I love me the SS program. I'd say I prefer almost *all* of my lifts to be compounds. I wanna be sweating hard when I'm lifting.
Foam roll quads, hamstrings, IT bands, hip flexors, calves, glutes, then stretching each. Mobility excersizes for shoulders and ankles (both tend to be weak spots and prone to injury if I ignore them). Then warm up sets, 5 sets of 5, depending on the day anywhere from 5-10 minutes.

Honestly it probably wouldn't take quite as long as 40 if I weren't doing all this immediately after rolling out of bed in the morning, but that's my life right now. But yeah if I get up at 5:20 I'm lucky to start work sets by 6 am.
Same here, for the most part. On gym days, I'm doing at least 20 mins total of stretching/mobility before and after my lunch run, and then another 30 minutes total before and after my lifting.

At 32 years, it's the only way for my body to feel decent.

BumRush

tumblr_nayulxejBU1sbzhteo1_400.gif

Lol

ILoveBish

Warm-up != Mobility Work.

I still do warm up reps before my work set, but they don't replace foam rolling etc.

Yah, I hear you, but I personally have never needed to do that much stretching and warming up. And lifting right when you get up, I can see why it would be more important.

Too modest, man. Your ability to fast, lose weight, all while gaining strength is well out of the ordinary. I generally do 16 hour fast everyday and for weightloss I can rock it... But I can't avoid the strength loss that comes with it. I'm down 14 lbs, but lifts are down about 6% depending on the lift and day.

Edit: and please understand when I say "inhuman monster" I mean it in the most complimentary way possible! :D

It's all good. I didn't reach the level I'm at overnight, it's been over 3 years. Body starts to adapt to what you put it through. Also when I'm going to the gym, mentally I go in knowing I'm going to destroy the weights. I try not to let myself get defeated mentally. That alone has taken me a long ways. If you go in thinking you're tired and hungry, you're going to not be at peak performance.

Yah, I hear you, but I personally have never needed to do that much stretching and warming up.

Not an option for me. If I was just lifting, maybe... but I get the feeling that it would take a month for me to lose half my flexibility if I didn't. However, with the mountain biking and mobility requirements there, would be a seriously bad idea.

That said, the guy behind the program you're doing actually recommends a shitload of mobility work, so it's obviously advantageous to full on lifters.

Note to self: running before squats makes squatting more difficult. The more you know!

Yeah, I never do it that way. Always weights first for me, then at least a couple of hours before my hardcore cardio stuff.

mdsfx

Yeah, I never do it that way. Always weights first for me, then at least a couple of hours before my hardcore cardio stuff.
I normally run after, but it's becoming a priority as I get closer to a half marathon I'm signed up for. Just trying hard not to eliminate my only leg day each week.

Just a case of knowing how much to take off. If I'm forced to do it the other way around, I drop all my weights 5-10%, which is usually manageable.

entremet

I remember I cycled 7 miles, which isn't crazy, once and started squatting afterward. I could barely work up to my work set.

Lesson learned.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Four compounds a workout? Forty minute stretching? I suddenly feel like I'm not taking this hobby very seriously. Damn!

I don't stretch before or after. My light warmup sets always have me ready for my heavy working sets. As I mentioned, I do 1 compound a session and follow it up with accessories and have been for years. If I did 4 a workout my last 2 compounds would suffer greatly. I'm at the gym an hour and done. Sometimes 45 minutes and sometimes 75 minutes but usually about an hour.

bchamba

I do my foam rolling most nights before I go to sleep so at the gym all I have to do is some static and dynamic stretching. Feels so good to have an intense 30 minute foam rolling session and then lay down and pass out in bed.

Funnily enough, most of my injuries happened long before I started cycling. Now it's a constant battle to stop them getting worse / aggravating them.

But again, some seriously knowledgable lifters recommend this shit, including Wendler, who designed the program you do (Or if you listen to Mr Gaoler, the program you bastardised ;).

I assume you don't really care about being functional anyway though as you've really just expressed a desire for the aesthetic aspect of lifting.

ILoveBish

Right now, it's all about aesthetics for me. Once I'm in the shape I want to be, I'll begin a vigorous recomp protocol and start building muscle quicker.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
I mean nothing offensive by this comment, but perhaps it's because I do 0 cardio and just lift?

With proper form, hydration and warm-up sets, injuries in weightlifting are extremely rare.

The most common injuries are with bench press, the bane of my experience, which is why I switched to DB bench. It's easy to overexert when you fear for your life/manhood under the bar.

Cardio I strain things very easily, that must take a different kind of warmup, not just jogging.

entremet

Four compounds a workout? Forty minute stretching? I suddenly feel like I'm not taking this hobby very seriously. Damn!

I don't stretch before or after. My light warmup sets always have me ready for my heavy working sets. As I mentioned, I do 1 compound a session and follow it up with accessories and have been for years. If I did 4 a workout my last 2 compounds would suffer greatly. I'm at the gym an hour and done. Sometimes 45 minutes and sometimes 75 minutes but usually about an hour.

Everyone is different. I tried splits. I lost motivation. Gotta find what keeps you going to the gym.

I also make sure to deload as it can really tax your body and I only deadlift every other workout.

But I usually start with a squat, then bench press or DB press, then barbell row or deadlift, and end with an OHP.

I do two accessories supersetted on my weak points after that. And that's it.

Only 3x per week.

Cooter

Everyone is different. I tried splits. I lost motivation. Gotta find what keeps you going to the gym.

I also make sure to deload as it can really tax your body and I only deadlift every other workout.

But I usually start with a squat, then bench press or DB press, then barbell row or deadlift, and end with an OHP.

I do two accessories supersetted on my weak points after that. And that's it.

Only 3x per week.
Absolutely. I'm also an old man too! Plus I lift 7 days a week.

Cooter

You're really ratcheted up the volume in that last few years.

I remember when you were around 4 days of week.
Yes and no. I've increased the days but decreased the daily volume plus added lighter (60-70% 1RM) days in between the heavy days.

BumRush

I don't stretch either...not enough time. To each his own. I'm not sure how my workouts would improve if I stretched. I do warm up sets on every compound and that's enough for me

Not stretching, foam rolling (or trigger point massage) and mobility work... and it's not really so much about improving your workouts (it can improve performance though, ask Brolic) so much as stopping your muscles tightening up to the point that it affects your other activities. More than that, once you get too much knotting / scar tissue you lose range of motion, and then the potential for injuries comes in. Common problem areas, lower back, upper chest, glutes, calves, and for me IT band. For some that means bad posture, for others that means fucking themselves up on a squat or a bench press (or not being able to do a bike ride or run without agony).

I can see why most people don't bother with static stretching.... because it's basically pointless. I'd love to get regular trigger point massages, though I doubt I could afford it, and my missus might start asking hard questions. For me, the mobility work and foam rolling is the best alternative.

Unrelated, I just did my hardest ever turbo trainer workout, and the last difficult session before my 24 hour event. Thankfully I start to taper down now as it was an utterly brutal workout, and I don't think I'd have the mental fortitude to do anything harder than that... at least not on a trainer. If anyone is interested, my output is here: https://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/2374981-Elephants-2# (I do it at 96% on days where I do weights, as squats etc somewhat impact my ability to cycle at 100% output).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom