• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

I've hit the gym 5 out of 5 days in Disney world so far...not bad, given the circumstances!

It's funny. I remember when I saw exercise as a chore, but these days it's like eating, drinking and sleeping for me.

If I have access, I enjoy lifting on vacations as well. I tend to set PRs since i'm eating so much and recovering amazingly well--sleep, chilling, no stress, and massages.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
It's funny. I remember when I saw exercise as a chore, but these days it's like eating, drinking and sleeping for me.

If I have access, I enjoy lifting on vacations as well. I tend to set PRs since i'm eating so much and recovering amazingly well--sleep, chilling, no stress, and massages.
I called that period in my life my 20s. I went just to say I went but barely pushed myself.

BumRush

I called that period in my life my 20s. I went just to say I went but barely pushed myself.

You're right. There is such a difference between going with intent and knowing what you're doing vs just going. Lurking in this thread 5+ years ago and being a part of this amazing community helped me be a member of the former rather than the latter.

I can get more done in 30-40 min now than 20 year old me did in 1 hour and a half

Cooter

You're right. There is such a difference between going with intent and knowing what you're doing vs just going. Lurking in this thread 5+ years ago and being a part of this amazing community helped me be a member of the former rather than the latter.

I can get more done in 30-40 min now than 20 year old me did in 1 hour and a half
Amen! Wish my 35 yo self could have went back and slapped my 16 yo self with some truth backhands! Would have destroyed high school sports even more!

Amen! Wish my 35 yo self could have went back and slapped my 16 yo self with some truth backhands! Would have destroyed high school sports even more!
I wish this all the time myself. My life would've been a lot better off.

But at the same time it's hard to give up the experiences I've had along my journey. I wouldn't be able to inspire even a quarter of the people that I do today had I not started where I did.

sphinx

the piano man
lifting is yet another way to escape stress and anxiety for me. If things go wrong, I love to go and hide inside a squat or a deadlift, or any exercise actually.

one regular day in my life consists of waking up, drinking coffee, practicing piano from there I eat and then go to my school and teach piano, then from there go to the gym and lift. May sound like the life of a loser to ambitious doctors or lawyers but I couldn't be happier with my life.

I am a loner and yet I feel great with what I do and how I do it. There are so many people who long for relationships or being loved or surrounded by a group of friends, I honestly don't mind not having people around me. I do have friends and family which I love very dearly but all far away and I feel ok somehow.

mdsfx

one regular day in my life consists of waking up, drinking coffee, practicing piano from there I eat and then go to my school and teach piano, then from there go to the gym and lift. May sound like the life of a loser to ambitious doctors or lawyers but I couldn't be happier with my life.

Pretty sure that's all that matters.

I have a fairly good position at my company as a senior designer in new product development. I'm not saying it's special, but I do OK. I see people all around me who practically live at work to excel in their careers and try to get a management position. That's great for them, but I make a point to get everything necessary done on time to make it home for family dinner and to spend time with my kids. It's what keeps me happy. That and beating the rising sun to the gym in the morning >)

My daily routine:
Wake up, gym, work, kid's time, wife time, game time, sleep.

It's funny how I don't even consider not going to the gym on weekdays even if I'm exhausted or running late. I would rather be late for work than miss a workout, and I HAVE made that choice on several occasions! It makes such a huge difference in my day.

Cooter

But at the same time it's hard to give up the experiences I've had along my journey. I wouldn't be able to inspire even a quarter of the people that I do today had I not started where I did.
Fair point and 100% true.

____

We are back baby! 180.4 today

____

I'm intrigued

PumpkinWebsiteSlider_945x620_PRE-ORDER.jpg

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
My hamstring strain flared up a little bit during front squats, so I only did one work set and skipped power cleans and good mornings. I'm very lucky not too have hurt myself worse. All of the upper body stuff went well. Super pumped for 90s DB bench on Sunday!

It's also time for progress pics in case I lose my squat gains.

Fair point and 100% true.

____

We are back baby! 180.4 today

____

I'm intrigued

PumpkinWebsiteSlider_945x620_PRE-ORDER.jpg

OH. MY. GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD. JUST STICK IT INTO MY VEIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINS!

I'm following this routine, and I actually like it lot. I'm out of the gym pretty quick for the amout of exercises it requires, but there's one problem, which I've bolded:

Upper A on Monday:

Bench Press
3 sets of 6-8 reps.
2-3 minutes rest between sets.
Rows
3 sets of 6-8 reps.
Incline Dumbbell Press
3 sets of 8-10 reps.
1-2 minutes rest between sets.
Lat Pull-Downs
3 sets of 8-10 reps.
Lateral Raises
2 sets of 10-12 reps.
1 minute rest between sets.
Triceps Press-Downs
2 sets of 10-12 reps.
Dumbbell Curls
2 sets of 10-12 reps.

Upper B on Friday:

Pull-Ups
3 sets of 6-8 reps.
Barbell Shoulder Press
3 sets of 6-8 reps.
Seated Cable Row
3 sets of 8-10 reps.
Dumbbell Bench Press
3 sets of 8-10 reps.
Dumbbell Flyes
2 sets of 10-12 reps.
Barbell Curls
2 sets of 10-12 reps.
Skull Crushers
2 sets of 10-12 reps.

My shoulders are already exhausted after doing pullups. This program calls for mixing it up every week, so upper A, lower B, upper B. Following week lower A, upper A, lower B, etc etc..........

The program says to not change the routine, but damn if I'm going to shoulder presses on upper B. I'm curious if I can just do shoulders with legs. I'll do squats, leg extensions, leg curls, then do shoulder presses, since I'm already doing shoulder accessories on the upper days.

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-muscle-building-workout-routine/

BumRush

You inspired me dude...I've said it a lot now but it's true.

Hnnnnng pumpkin quest bars...

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
PdKUK5b.jpg

This is my progress over the past six months. I have pictures from a month earlier much fatter, but it doesn't make for a good comparison. Any thoughts? Curious how my body fat percentage looks.

Also, if you quote I have a link for you to see/comment on any face gains.

despire

OH. MY. GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD. JUST STICK IT INTO MY VEIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINS!

I'm following this routine, and I actually like it lot. I'm out of the gym pretty quick for the amout of exercises it requires, but there's one problem, which I've bolded:

My shoulders are already exhausted after doing pullups. This program calls for mixing it up every week, so upper A, lower B, upper B. Following week lower A, upper A, lower B, etc etc..........

The program says to not change the routine, but damn if I'm going to shoulder presses on upper B. I'm curious if I can just do shoulders with legs. I'll do squats, leg extensions, leg curls, then do shoulder presses, since I'm already doing shoulder accessories on the upper days.

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-muscle-building-workout-routine/

Switch shoulder presses and pull ups around so that you press first?

mdsfx

Switch shoulder presses and pull ups around so that you press first?

Yeah and also I prefer bench press then pull ups for Upper-Workout-A and press then rows on Upper-Workout-B.

Im thinking by having press and pull-ups on the same day he's just spending a lot of time with his arms above his head...?

SeanR1221

If I synchronize my consumption of this bar with a pumpkin spice latte, how basic do I become?

The most basic of bros. add in chipotle and some Starbucks for maximum basic.

Bum, where are you at in Disney? Last time I went I was at the Polynesian and lifted at the grand Floridian gym. It wasnt too bad actually

BumRush

Bum, where are you at in Disney? Last time I went I was at the Polynesian and lifted at the grand Floridian gym. It wasnt too bad actually

Polynesian is my favorite hotel! Next year were going to do those new over water bungalows, if they aren't booked already.

We're at the beach club villas. Thought the sandy pool would be clutch for the baby (it is). Great hotel and the fitness room isnt bad for a hotel.

Faiz

Polynesian is my favorite hotel! Next year were going to do those new over water bungalows, if they aren't booked already.

We're at the beach club villas. Thought the sandy pool would be clutch for the baby (it is). Great hotel and the fitness room isnt bad for a hotel.

Oh hey sounds like another DVC member?

We usually stay at AKL (home resort) - it's where we honeymooned and go back every year for our anniversary.

This year though is our 10th and doing something special. Staying 4 nights at Poly with a Magic Kingdom View, then transferring to AKL for another 6.

I've never actually lifted at WDW though. Never made the time for it and assumed the facilities would be too general fitness oriented. We're planning more downtime for our son this year, and really don't want to skip for 10 days straight.

bchamba

I could feel a Disney discussion occurring. Last time I went I stayed at the yacht club. Boardwalk area is my favorite place to stay because you can get hammered at Epcot and then walk to your hotel.

cocopuffs

Banned
Have a confession to make. I skipped squats for the second time in a row. :(

Leg workouts are really draining, didn't have the energy for it.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Have a confession to make. I skipped squats for the second time in a row. :(

Leg workouts are really draining, didn't have the energy for it.

Man up! Or do volume work at least if you don't want to go balls to the wall leg work. Something is better than nothing.

BumRush

Oh hey sounds like another DVC member?

We usually stay at AKL (home resort) - it's where we honeymooned and go back every year for our anniversary.

This year though is our 10th and doing something special. Staying 4 nights at Poly with a Magic Kingdom View, then transferring to AKL for another 6.

I've never actually lifted at WDW though. Never made the time for it and assumed the facilities would be too general fitness oriented. We're planning more downtime for our son this year, and really don't want to skip for 10 days straight.

Yes sir!!

Went to Sanaa last night, actually. Amazing food and the service (as expected) was through the roof.

I could feel a Disney discussion occurring. Last time I went I stayed at the yacht club. Boardwalk area is my favorite place to stay because you can get hammered at Epcot and then walk to your hotel.

Who are you, me??

So I am debating on doing my first semi-dirty bulk. I am looking to get some mass and eventually shave some off. I am currently 6 foot 2 and weigh about 210 pounds. My numbers are:

295 Max bench
425 max dead lift
335 Max squat

To give you an idea of my strength and all that..

How do you guys recommend it?
Lift incredibly heavy and increase my complex carbs? I am not looking to binge on pizza and all that. I have a six pack or the traces of one so I am not anxious to lose that entirely.

So I am debating on doing my first semi-dirty bulk. I am looking to get some mass and eventually shave some off. I am currently 6 foot 2 and weigh about 210 pounds. My numbers are:

295 Max bench
425 max dead lift
335 Max squat

Lift incredibly heavy and increase my complex carbs? I am not looking to binge on pizza and all that. I have a six pack or the traces of one so I am not anxious to lose that entirely.

It sounds to me like your just looking for an excuse to pig out.

Cooter

295 Max bench
425 max dead lift
335 Max squat

If you want to keep visible abs then don't bulk. Simple as that.

I've never had a problem with it, even when I was doing broscience protein intakes... but yes, the correct answer is fiber, and lots of water.

ILoveBish

My left knee started giving me some issues after I put together the shelves in the closet, now knee is fine but bottom of my foot feels like there is a rock inside. This crap better go away in time for squat day.

Faiz

Yes sir!!

Went to Sanaa last night, actually. Amazing food and the service (as expected) was through the roof.

Who are you, me??

Huge thumbs up! Sanaa is great. I'm still bumbed they took the green curry shrimp off the menu though. Last year my we got in super late thanks to Southwest boning their schedule, we were starving and needed a drink, but wife and son needed to lay down too. Went down and got a ton of food and two cocktails to take back to the room (actually wasn't sure they'd serve cocktails to go) pigged out and passed out. Highlight of a long terrible day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom