• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wulfric

First and foremost, you're doing WAY too much. Also, is this your progression right now, or (for instance) do you always do bar + 10 for your bench press?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by progression, but I've been sticking with just the bar + 10 lbs for now.

Are there too many things going on? I wasn't sure whether I should focus on a few exercises or keep it varied. Time to read the OP again. >_<

Kawl_USC

For any one doing 5/3/1 BBB, what are yall doing in terms of the BBB sets? I'm doing the boring version (so same exercise for the 5x10 sets), and started out at 35% of my training max, using the black iron beast calculator.

I'm heading into my 4th cycle starting this week and so far I've been upping the % of training max by 5 in addition to the additional +5 lbs from each cycle. Obviously this isn't sustainable for too much longer as upwards of 70% training weight for 5x10 seems ridiculous. Figure I'll see how this time around feels and probably end up sticking at 50% of training max.

Unrelated, how do you guys get a good picture of your back? I've been working in more pull ups recently and its frustrating to not be able to easily see how my back is responding.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I don't even know if it's possible being natural but I have set a new long-term goal for myself. I will begin working on a 600lb deadlift weighing 180. I have a feeling it will take a very long time if I even ever hit it but goals are good so here goes nothing!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I don't even know if it's possible being natural but I have set a new long-term goal for myself. I will begin working on a 600lb deadlift weighing 180. I have a feeling it will take a very long time if I even ever hit it but goals are good so here goes nothing!

600+ is mostly mental. Once you hit about 550+ everything feels "too heavy." Trick is to fool yourself into believing you can get it.

Cooter

600+ is mostly mental. Once you hit about 550+ everything feels "too heavy." Trick is to fool yourself into believing you can get it.
Thanks for this. Yeah, gonna put my squat on the back burner and just maintain it for a while. Really pound glute ham raises and a lot of 50% speed work along with frequent DLs.

For any one doing 5/3/1 BBB, what are yall doing in terms of the BBB sets? I'm doing the boring version (so same exercise for the 5x10 sets), and started out at 35% of my training max, using the black iron beast calculator.

I'm heading into my 4th cycle starting this week and so far I've been upping the % of training max by 5 in addition to the additional +5 lbs from each cycle. Obviously this isn't sustainable for too much longer as upwards of 70% training weight for 5x10 seems ridiculous. Figure I'll see how this time around feels and probably end up sticking at 50% of training max.
I worked my way up to 70% / 60% / 60% / 50% / 50% If I get ten in all sets before the end of the cycle, I will add 5lbs at a time.

Unrelated, how do you guys get a good picture of your back? I've been working in more pull ups recently and its frustrating to not be able to easily see how my back is responding.
Two options:
1) Mirror/tripod/camera timer
2) Wife

BumRush

I'm not quite sure what you mean by progression, but I've been sticking with just the bar + 10 lbs for now.

Are there too many things going on? I wasn't sure whether I should focus on a few exercises or keep it varied. Time to read the OP again. >_<

Read the OP for sure. By progression, I mean that weight on bar should increase over time. As you read through the OP you'll notice this. For example, you start bench pressing with just a bar and by X date you're doing 45 plates. By Y date you're doing 2 45 pound plates on each side, etc.

Otherwise, your muscles get accustomed to the weight and it doesn't do anything.

Vylash

does anyone have any ideas for a light healthy lunch that's quick to make? I've been having a tough time finding a balance between the theee

BumRush

SSB work, this time with chains at end.

345x8, 330+85lb chains x3, 370+85lb chains for a single.

Full log.

SSB Squat 155x5, 190x5, 230x3, 270x3, 305x3, 345x8. 295+85x3, 330+85x3, 370+85x1.

SSB GM 125x10,10,10.

Front squat 135x5, 225x5

https://youtu.be/AzuRpz3qO0M

Amazing work as always, Brolic. Thanks for sharing.

Damn Cooter...600? That's an insane goal that - knowing you - you'll knock down eventually

Good luck man, hope you make it there. I'm at 395lbs right now and the knurling just bites into my grip so hard past the 3rd rep lol (it's probably a mental thing). I've never tried for my 1RM in anything though to be honest.

Wulfric

Read the OP for sure. By progression, I mean that weight on bar should increase over time. As you read through the OP you'll notice this. For example, you start bench pressing with just a bar and by X date you're doing 45 plates. By Y date you're doing 2 45 pound plates on each side, etc.

Otherwise, your muscles get accustomed to the weight and it doesn't do anything.

Gotcha. I reread the OP, and now that I'm at least a little more familiar with the exercises, perhaps the Full Body would be a better plan for Wednesday.

Let's see if I have this right:
No failed sets = More weight during next session
Failed reps = Slight reduction in weight until all reps are successful

For example, a bench press might look like: 5>10>7.5>10>15>20> lbs, and so on. Does that sound right?

^you really can't tell at all since your upper back is cut off from video.

Also would've been good to know that you don't actually lift until 40 seconds into the video

sphinx

the piano man
so there is this guy that comes work out to the free weight area wearing his pajama pants, I am sure those are pajama pants cause I have the exact same style and indeed they are very very comfortable, lots of freedom in the leg area, never occurred to me to work out wearing them but might give it a try.

They don't look out of place either, I mean he doesn't get any attention from wearing them, I notice but I don't think anyone else does

BumRush

Gotcha. I reread the OP, and now that I'm at least a little more familiar with the exercises, perhaps the Full Body would be a better plan for Wednesday.

Let's see if I have this right:
No failed sets = More weight during next session
Failed reps = Slight reduction in weight until all reps are successful

For example, a bench press might look like: 5>10>7.5>10>15>20> lbs, and so on. Does that sound right?

Which program are you looking at? Maybe 531 would be good for you since it's faster than others and will allow you the time to do your conditioning.

Numb

First day at the gym.
Everything hurts and butt feels weird doing 5x5 squats.
Dominant hand is too dominant lifting what littlle i could. Feels great tho afterwards except the hurting and the twitching.
Gym is nice. 2min from home and no one was there which was really great. Hulk pics on walls which is hilarious. Day 1 of a year membership with half price ending today.Got lucky.
So far everything has been great and hope it continues like this.

First day at the gym.
Everything hurts and butt feels weird doing 5x5 squats.
Dominant hand is too dominant lifting what littlle i could. Feels great tho afterwards except the hurting and the twitching.
Gym is nice. 2min from home and no one was there which was really great. Hulk pics on walls which is hilarious. Day 1 of a year membership with half price ending today.Got lucky.
So far everything has been great and hope it continues like this.

Keep up the good work! Pain feels like it'll last forever, but eventually DOMS get so tiny that they just don't happen anymore.

Help me out poseur bros... I want to take my next set of progress shots but definition that I can see clearly in the mirror seems to completely disappear in the photo. Should I be slapping on the fake tan or something? Is some lighting better for showing off definition than others?

mdsfx

Help me out poseur bros... I want to take my next set of progress shots but definition that I can see clearly in the mirror seems to completely disappear in the photo. Should I be slapping on the fake tan or something? Is some lighting better for showing off definition than others?
One or two light sources directly above and slightly in front of you helps.

I just PB'd my bench.... 4x 280 , with the help of the Greatest PED : When the hottest chick in the gym jumps on a treadmill less than a foot from where you're lifting.

mdsfx

I'm trying something slightly different to allow myself a big dinner. 600 calories throughout the day from 2 protein shakes, yogurt, and oatmeal, then 1100 for dinner and 300 for a late snack.

Worked out great yesterday in terms of hunger. Not sure how it might effect anything else.

paolo11

From June till today, I was 209 and now I am 193. My 1 rep squat were from 250 and now 295. Deadlift from 275 and now 355. Press from 115 and now 145. Bench press from 145 to 165. Still long ways to go...

I'll try to reach 180lbs before end of October. I'll post pics on Friday.

This is a thing that happens to me too. Reason why I haven't taken many shirtless progress photos :/

ILoveBish

I'm trying something slightly different to allow myself a big dinner. 600 calories throughout the day from 2 protein shakes, yogurt, and oatmeal, then 1100 for dinner and 300 for a late snack.

Worked out great yesterday in terms of hunger. Not sure how it might effect anything else.

I'm going to switch soon to eating at nights. My biggest motivation for the change? Having low carb ice cream every single day. I'm still crunching the numbers, but it looks like chicken shawarma plate, coffee and a huge bowl of ice cream every day. I might also up my calories to the 1900-2000 zone. Still need to do the calculations.

Cooter

Maxing on DL tonight. I'll report back with results and hopefully a video if I get it.

Cooter

Nice, you should have a monster night!!
Here's hoping. Feeling pretty good besides cramming two adults, a 5 year old, and a 8 month old german shepherd on a queen size bed and still trying to get a good nights sleep.

J. Bravo

Lol what the fuck. I'm trying to hit 500 while staying sub 190. Ur a beast

Cooter

LOL, why are you doing that?

It's not a regular thing. Son had nightmares and I was just too lazy and tired to kick the dog off the bed. Usually I do and he stays on his dog bed. I have no one but myself to blame.

Lol what the fuck. I'm trying to hit 500 while staying sub 190. Ur a beast
Different stages man. I'm a 36 year old grown ass man with years of liftig. You're in your 20s. It matters. Keep pushing!

BumRush

It's not a regular thing. Son had nightmares and I was just too lazy and tired to kick the dog off the bed. Usually I do and he stays on his dog bed. I have no one but myself to blame.

Oh, I thought that was your every day situation...I was thinking that can't be good.

entremet

Bros really love benching.

The extra low budget gym I joined since it was walking distance from my home has two power racks, which are always used up with benchers.

Being a budget gym with a squat rack is nice, however, they don't have dedicated bench set ups, so everyone uses the power rack for benching.

No one ever squats ever, lol.

It's not my primary gym, but it's nice having it as a back up and it's only 15 bucks for month.

But it's definitely a different atmosphere than my primary gym.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom