• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILoveBish

Incredible day at the gym yet again. Feel monstrous strength wise right now. Ohp today with 5x150, 3x170 and 1x185. Felt so good on the 185lb rep I held it up high for 5 seconds. After I did a 10x130 which felt so good. Went up in weight on all accessories after as well. Feeling so good.

Kawl_USC

Incredible day at the gym yet again. Feel monstrous strength wise right now. Ohp today with 5x150, 3x170 and 1x185. Felt so good on the 185lb rep I held it up high for 5 seconds. After I did a 10x130 which felt so good. Went up in weight on all accessories after as well. Feeling so good.

I mainly lurk here, but nice work dude. You are up about 10 lbs on all the lifts over me doing 5/3/1 as well and seeing your numbers is always a great motivator. Keeping crushing it.

First failed set the other day, on OHP. It was bound to happen eventually.

OHP is a hell of a lift. Eat and sleep plenty and that weight will go up next time no problem! First failed set is just a chance to break through a challenge.

ILoveBish

Tomorrow I'll eat after the gym then another 72 hour fast starts. Going to try and do one every 2 weeks till the year is over.

I mainly lurk here, but nice work dude. You are up about 10 lbs on all the lifts over me doing 5/3/1 as well and seeing your numbers is always a great motivator. Keeping crushing it.

Cantstopwontstop.gif

I love 531 so much.

entremet

I'm no bro, but give me the deadlift over bench any day of the week. RRRRRRR POWER.

Same. OHP over bench for me as well. I like doing standing lifts.

I always feel like telling these guys they would get better results from squatting and deadlifting, but I'm not that guy at the gym.

I didn't start putting serious mass until I started doing both.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Someone say OHP?

200x10, followed by 235x3. Then incline close grip bench 245x6 and finish off with 315x4 on flat close grip bench.

Full log:

Overhead press 95x5, 110x5, 135x3, 155x3, 175x3, 200x10, 215x3, 235x3, 155x10.

Incline CGBP: 135x10, 225x10, 245x6.

Flat CGBP: 225x5, 275x5, 315x4.

https://youtu.be/C5fN1ygFQaE

OHP is a hell of a lift. Eat and sleep plenty and that weight will go up next time no problem! First failed set is just a chance to break through a challenge.

Yeah my most difficult lift.

Someone say OHP?

200x10, followed by 235x3. Then incline close grip bench 245x6 and finish off with 315x4 on flat close grip bench.

Full log:

Ffs.

I'll just have to keep at it

SeanR1221

Fuck.

Past couple gym sessions have been brutal. Everything feels super heavy. I feel weak and sluggish. I thought the refeed would help but it didn't. I just feel tired the entire time and hats even after a shit ton of cafeene. I feel like I'm losing my gym mojo and it bothers the hell out of me.

entremet

Fuck.

Past couple gym sessions have been brutal. Everything feels super heavy. I feel weak and sluggish. I thought the refeed would help but it didn't. I just feel tired the entire time and hats even after a shit ton of cafeene. I feel like I'm losing my gym mojo and it bothers the hell out of me.

That happens to me. One thing I remember is that the body is a biological system--hormone levels, stress, sleep, infections (bacterial/viral), etc., all can play a role with performance.

Even things like seasonal changes can have an effect.

Deloads help.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Damn! Got 560 off the floor twice and even higher on the 2nd attempt. Feeling like I'll get it soon though.

BumRush

Someone say OHP?

Full log:

Dude...to do 235x3 after all of that FOLLOWED by 155x10...damn.

Oh, then just 6 sets of close grip. Lol. You're a beast.

J. Bravo

Fuck.

Sounds like you need a week or so off from all lifting

BumRush

Fuck.

Stress, maybe? If not then maybe just take a week off, do what you love, then get back in with a fresh head.

hi FitnessGAF, I'm looking to buy a row machine. can I get some advice on this please? any brand recommendations? anything I should be aware of? what's a good price point for these things? $2~300 enough for a decent one?

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
I am finally learning how important mental cues and attitude are. My new one today on squats is "Move the World":

Squats - 255lbs 3x5 (PR)
Paused DB Press - 60s 3x5 (PR)

Bum hamstring feels like it will improve enough for power cleans or deadlifts Friday. Happy.

It is amazing how much better you feel on carbs. I am sitting on a solid 225 lbs and while my abs aren't nearly as cut up as they were a few weeks ago, I just feel fantastic.

The king is dead. Long live the king.

mdsfx

It is amazing how much better you feel on carbs. I am sitting on a solid 225 lbs and while my abs aren't nearly as cut up as they were a few weeks ago, I just feel fantastic.

The king is dead. Long live the king.
Lol yeah I do feel better on them as long as I don't overdo it. 100-150g per day feels great. Getting into the 200+ range makes me feel a little sluggish. Not sure if that even makes sense from a scientific standpoint though.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Brolic can you explain how you've built explosiveness on your press, including any mental cues you have to get the bar off your shoulders?

You do them so strict, and I'm wondering how you drive progress.

Mr. X

I was in the thread about the kangaroo epidemic.

Jesus, these things are swole.

rogergingerkangaroo1yeswh.jpg

Failed 5x5 @245 squat today. Really could have used a belt today. Feelsbadman.

Edit: an all around shitty lift day. Failing the squat made me lower every other lift that came after (except for deadlifting, which is the only lift I felt comfortable with today).

Got my weight lifting belt today (it came in while I was at the gym) and I'm hoping this will help me get over the hurdle from today's squat misfire.

Teggy

Went to my new replacement gym today. The good news is that they have the basic equipment that I need so I don't have to go looking for a new gym. The bad news is there are a lot more people using the gym so I'll see how that plays out. I didn't have to wait for anything today but I can see it happening. My membership is up in about 9 months so maybe I will start scoping out what else is in the area.

There are A LOT of yoga pants at this gym so that's sort of good news and bad news as a married guy.

ILoveBish

Alright, got my new meal plan all figured out. Only calculated any ingredient over 20 calories, so just the major stuff is in there.

http://pastebin.com/Hnirwu1q

All info taken from USDA search engine with detailed as heck info. tldr:

Chicken Shawarma + 1/4 Ice Cream Totals:
1954 calories
148.765g protein
140.83g fat
18.05g net carbs
1279.25mg mag
2137.5mg potas
814mg sodium

I'll need to see how much potas and sodium and mag i'l need to add to my waters everyday to hit the suggested totals. Calorie wise, should be at right around 2k calories when including spices and coffee, etc. And i'll be eating damn good.

Just checked the numbers, and i'm 4k mg of salt low, way good on everything else. So i'll be adding more salt to the food and some of my water here and there i guess to make up for it. Otherwise tho i'm pretty spot on.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Brolic can you explain how you've built explosiveness on your press, including any mental cues you have to get the bar off your shoulders?

You do them so strict, and I'm wondering how you drive progress.

A lot of practice. And making sure I'm tight head to toe. I get so tight that when I go high rep I often get a cramp in my quads when I do them. Other than that. I've built speed before using bands, but haven't in a long time.

As far as progress cycling between high reps and maximal weight seems to work best.

Dude...to do 235x3 after all of that FOLLOWED by 155x10...damn.

Oh, then just 6 sets of close grip. Lol. You're a beast.

Lol, definitely one of those days where I felt unbreakable.

BumRush

A lot of practice. And making sure I'm tight head to toe. I get so tight that when I go high rep I often get a cramp in my quads when I do them. Other than that. I've built speed before using bands, but haven't in a long time.

How do you choose your rep schemes for each wotkout, specifically OHP?

Servbot24

Banned
These are on sale on Amazon right now. Figured I should stop wearing out my running shoes with weight training so I went ahead and ordered a pair, seem like they should be good for lifting:

713%2B%2BGpJXJL._UX695_.jpg

Azulsky

These are on sale on Amazon right now. Figured I should stop wearing out my running shoes with weight training so I went ahead and ordered a pair, seem like they should be good for lifting:

Yeah a good number of people I know like them. There is another model that has a bit more ankle fabric that is marketed to Crossfit.

I would still own a pair or 2 but a year or so ago NB decided that widefoot people don't exist after years of making 4E.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
sheeesh damn sir, beating that weight silly. you really aren't that far off man.
Ha. Thanks man. Appreciate the encouragement. Really. The next few weeks I'll be pounding glute ham raises, RDLs, and more DLs. I'll give it another shot in about 3 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom