• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdsfx

Feeling good about the upcoming half marathon. 5 weeks away! 8:30 pace feels good. Definitely going to destroy my original goal of a 2-hour Half.

lwK3qRwh.jpg

Hmmm... Couple dry spots on the front of my shirt. #FAIL

Can't wait to lift tomorrow.

mdsfx

Man, I couldn't wear clothing that does that when I sweat. I'm all about the high tech fabrics.
That moisture-wicking stuff works too well for indoors. I only use it outside. With no breeze and no sweat, I overheat. I'd rather be drenched and cool lol

I have a massive industrial fan for the indoor stuff.

Related, I compared my heart rates on my old leg routine (high rep squats / lunges / step ups) to my new one (mostly 5 rep squats, calf raises, glute raises). Old average: 165bpm. New average: 102bpm.

Talk about not even breaking a sweat!

BumRush

All sorts of complete shite...

uR35eNt.png

Edit - Just noticed that the sodium numbers are completely wrong on a couple of those. Not really that big a deal though. :D

5,600 calories over a full day is a massive cheat day for you? Step up your game psycho! (now if you tell me that was one meal, i take everything back)

GrapeApes

I fucks with moisture wicking shirts now. Bought a lot for a hike but using it mostly for working out. When I lift in cotton now it just feels so hot and heavy. Wish there was more friction though. Noticible when benching or squating.

5,600 calories over a full day is a massive cheat day for you? Step up your game psycho! (now if you tell me that was one meal, i take everything back)

For the last 4 months I've been on 1,500kcal... so yeah, that's a bloody big day!

I also ate all of that between 19:00 and 01:00 because I'd been out cycling beforehand. I will definitely try harder next time though! \o/

BumRush

That moisture-wicking stuff works too well for indoors. I only use it outside. With no breeze and no sweat, I overheat. I'd rather be drenched and cool lol

I agree. Since I workout in my garage I really don't care what I wear so it's usually a shitty lightweight cotton tee.

BumRush

For the last 4 months I've been on 1,500kcal... so yeah, that's a bloody big day!

I also ate all of that between 19:00 and 01:00 because I'd been out cycling beforehand. I will definitely try harder next time though! \o/

lol, okay, that makes it a little better.

Wulfric

Should I be worried about working out five days in a row? This has been my schedule for the past week, but I was concerned about putting rest days back to back instead of spread out in the week. I feel it works fine though. It's great to take care of everything in the morning and not worry about it for the rest of the day.

Mon: Physical Conditioning/Weight Training (core) (1hr classes, 3 hours apart from each other)
Tues: Physical Conditioning, 3 mile run (aiming for 21 minutes, doing 24 right now)
Weds: Physical Conditioning/Weight Training (legs)
Thurs: Physical Conditioning, 3 mile run
Fri: Physical Conditioning
Sat/Sun: Rest

Physical Condition is a group class, and not as intensive as I'd like sometimes.

BumRush

Should I be worried about working out five days in a row? This has been my schedule for the past week, but I was concerned about putting rest days back to back instead of spread out in the week. I feel it works fine though. It's great to take care of everything in the morning and not worry about it for the rest of the day.

Mon: Physical Conditioning/Weight Training (core) (1hr classes, 3 hours apart from each other)
Tues: Physical Conditioning, 3 mile run (aiming for 21 minutes, doing 24 right now)
Weds: Physical Conditioning/Weight Training (legs)
Thurs: Physical Conditioning, 3 mile run
Fri: Physical Conditioning
Sat/Sun: Rest

Physical Condition is a group class, and not as intensive as I'd like sometimes.

First off, our very own Cooter works out 7 days in a row (look at his pictures to determine if it's working for him). For you though, I'd be concerned that you are only lifting 2X per week and one is just "core". The 5 days on is fine, for sure.

Finally started squatting again in the first time in like 4-6 months. Maybe longer. Full blown deload, just really focusing on form. 225 lbs were heavy as fuck but it felt good to truly hit parallel and even a bit lower. For these, weight won't matter, really want to get my form in check. I will be back at 3 plates in no time and if I am lucky, get back to a solid 1RM at 405 lbs.

In body weight news, I think I don't want to push farther than 230 lbs. I feel like I got a good size going and just want to recomp and when it comes to summer time, just have to drop 15 lbs to be in summer shape. I have learned a lot over the years from lifting and realize this truly is the best for me.

So, I know I posted about this on Facebook and IG, but I don't think it shared with you all here.

1KCHLn1.png

Here's a pic of me from January of last year, 2014. Not a decade ago, not 5 years ago, last year. I didn't think I'd fall victim of yo-yo dieting or ever go back to how I was, but a bad case of depression and social anxiety led to me ballooning back to 240 lbs. I never really spoke about it because I was so ashamed that I allowed myself to get back to that.

Surprisingly it didn't take long (about 5 months) to get back to a decent shape. Not quite back to where as I was at before (I had single digit body fat back a couple years ago), but not far off.

I still have my really bad spurts. It's been nigh impossible for me to break the habit of using food to cope with feelings. Break up? I eat. Don't get that job? I eat. Sucks, but I'm working through it.

Mostly posting about it to show that we're all human. We all fuck up. But getting back through it the second time around is even easier than the first. Never get discouraged about anything. Whether you get a bad injury, lose track of yourself, or just fall off the wagon. Doesn't matter, you'll get back there.

I glanced through this post and thought you were posting old pics from years ago. I was completely caught off guard to say that it was last year. Your transformation in just 5 months is insane and as others have already said, we are here for you. Always down to talk if need be.

BumRush

Feeling good about the upcoming half marathon. 5 weeks away! 8:30 pace feels good. Definitely going to destroy my original goal of a 2-hour Half.

Hmmm... Couple dry spots on the front of my shirt. #FAIL

Can't wait to lift tomorrow.

That's nice work, by the way. WAAAAAAAAAAAY faster pace than your original goal.

mdsfx

That's nice work, by the way. WAAAAAAAAAAAY faster pace than your original goal.
Thanks! Feels so good. I hated running for most of my life due to not being in shape. Can't believe I can run this far now. 1 mile used to be torture lol. 13 I can do. 26? Ehhh...

BumRush

Thanks! Feels so good. I hated running for most of my life due to not being in shape. Can't believe I can run this far now. 1 mile used to be torture lol. 13 I can do. 26? Ehhh...

I still hate running and respect the shit out of people who do long distances like you and psycho (on his bike)

Kureransu

These earlier posts encouraged me to see where I am at on standing OHP. Got up to 215!
my previous PR was 205, and my goal 225.

This is awesome even more so because i didn't think i'd be able to OHP more than i weighed anytime soon.

https://youtu.be/YgpSLOab1js

Feelsgoodman.

UrAvgGuy

I still hate running and respect the shit out of people who do long distances like you and psycho (on his bike)

Feel the exact same way. I still get my cardio in here and there but I'm amazed at people like mdsfx and psycho.

These earlier posts encouraged me to see where I am at on standing OHP. Got up to 215!

This is awesome even more so because i didn't think i'd be able to OHP more than i weighed anytime soon.

Feelsgoodman.

Good shit bruh, if 225 is your goal you'll definitely be there soon.

SeanR1221

So at the advice of my body builder friends from the gym, I did a refeed. They said to keep my fat and protein the same and to double my carbs. I ended up eating over 400g worth (mostly from rice and oatmeal). Up a couple pounds but it definitely felt good to eat all that. You diet for over half a year and you start having those weak days, you know?

Kureransu

Feel the exact same way. I still get my cardio in here and there but I'm amazed at people like mdsfx and psycho.

Good shit bruh, if 225 is your goal you'll definitely be there soon.
Thanks. My issue as of late is that i didn't have any set any intricate goals, more like "get lean". and that was it. I did it, held it for like a month, and then was like meh. (This time i want focus on a better package. I want better size at my weight, even though I think i may be at my max, no harm in trying. I want to have better lifting numbers with great form. and i want to get into flexibility. I play soccer and tennis, and I'm 34. I need flexibility for soccer especially, but it good to have a nice range of movement anyway.

As far as the goals, They are more like milestones. I want to get back into squatting and deading, but my back hasn't been working with me. I'm going to a chiropractor in the next two weeks to see if i can get it worked out.

despire

So at the advice of my body builder friends from the gym, I did a refeed. They said to keep my fat and protein the same and to double my carbs. I ended up eating over 400g worth (mostly from rice and oatmeal). Up a couple pounds but it definitely felt good to eat all that. You diet for over half a year and you start having those weak days, you know?

Yeah it's a good idea. Didn't RD incorporate refeeds? Or were they more modest?

mkenyon

Banned
God damn, that's mighty impressive.
I always hated running too.

They convinced me otherwise though:

ILoveBish

Lol, I'm up 9.6lbs in like 3 or 4 days. Impressive how much my body sucks. At 231.6 today. No biggie tho. Back on the grind already.

BumRush

Feelsgoodman.

Great work dude! You look a lot like Anthony Anderson, by the way! Which is funny because i bet he couldn't OHP more than 115...

Man, I should've found out about the Levi's 541 athletic fit jeans sooner. Finally, a pair of jeans that 1) fit on my waist, 2) have room in the thighs/seat for people who squat/deadlift, and 3) have a tapered look below the knee so you're not wearing giant baggy denim.

Man, I should've found out about the Levi's 541 athletic fit jeans sooner. Finally, a pair of jeans that 1) fit on my waist, 2) have room in the thighs/seat for people who squat/deadlift, and 3) have a tapered look below the knee so you're not wearing giant baggy denim.

I tried those and they make me look 'curvy', which is not a good look on a man. I prefer 550 they are perfect, but I can only get them online because at the stores they sell only in big sizes.

Wulfric

First off, our very own Cooter works out 7 days in a row (look at his pictures to determine if it's working for him). For you though, I'd be concerned that you are only lifting 2X per week and one is just "core". The 5 days on is fine, for sure.

Thanks BumRush, the weight training class only meets twice a week, but I wouldn't have a problem adding my own session on Friday. I could post my workout log for today if you'd like.

BumRush

Thanks BumRush, the weight training class only meets twice a week, but I wouldn't have a problem adding my own session on Friday. I could post my workout log for today if you'd like.

Yes, post it. We'll take a look.

Also (sorry if you've posted this earlier), what are your goals? There's a template in the OP (height, weight, etc) that helps lay this out so we can assist...

Teggy

I just got an email from my gym that they are closed...for good. As of yesterday. I was there on Saturday and no one made a peep. So that's fun.

They transferred my membership to another gym, but I have no idea what equipment they have or how crowded it is.

mkenyon

Banned
There's also the Lucky 410s, and I also fit decently into the 221s.

The Levis are a bit less expensive, but the Lucky ones just look a bit more upscale. I'd feel comfortable going out to a nice dinner in them with a sport coat.

despire

Getting my wisdom teeth pulled tomorrow. Can't eat anything hot or rough apparently so decided to do an "ultimate IIFYM day". Basically only ice cream (cold is good), whey, cottage cheese and fiber supplement. Not really satiating but what are you gonna do. Also it might suck big time or might be fun, we'll see..

J. Bravo

Thinking about doing 5 triples with 90% of my max again, but for bench this time instead of deadlift. 230 sounds like a lot more than 380....Idk how this is gonna go.

BumRush

I just got an email from my gym that they are closed...for good. As of yesterday. I was there on Saturday and no one made a peep. So that's fun.

They transferred my membership to another gym, but I have no idea what equipment they have or how crowded it is.

Sorry to hear that, man. Hopefully the new gym is even better.

Wulfric

Sure thing, I filled it out a few months ago but I'll make a new one.

Height: 5"4'
Weight: 146-148
Goal: Passing the Army PFT. I fell short in the practice run, and the real test is next summer. Upper body strength/bigger arms to even out my admittedly large legs is a goal of mine as well.

As for today's workout (straight from Excel, so the formatting is bit weird):
Lateral Pull Down, 50 lbs, 4x15
1 Arm Pull Down, 70 lbs, 10x5
Magnum Rear Delt, 50 lbs, 5x5
Leg Extension, 25 lbs, 5x15
Bench Press, Bar + 10 lbs, 5x5
Assisted Chin Up, 50 lbs, 3x5
Abdominal Crunch, 70 lbs, 5x10
Seated Leg Press, 130 lbs, 8x15
Leg Extension, 40 lbs, 5x6
Bench Press, Bar + 10 lbs, 5x5

ILoveBish

Forgot how good it feels to hit the gym, get into a mode where you feel so strong and hyped up and destroy everything. Squats today with 5x270, 3x305 and 1x340. I had enough in the tank for 3x340 but kept it for my 10x230 at the end which was nice and brutal.

I know I say it too often, but I love lifting so much. It's so absolutely rewarding.

BumRush

Sure thing, I filled it out a few months ago but I'll make a new one.

Height: 5"4'
Weight: 146-148
Goal: Passing the Army PFT. I fell short in the practice run, and the real test is next summer. Upper body strength/bigger arms to even out my admittedly large legs is a goal of mine as well.

As for today's workout (straight from Excel, so the formatting is bit weird):

First and foremost, you're doing WAY too much. Also, is this your progression right now, or (for instance) do you always do bar + 10 for your bench press?

J. Bravo

Thinking about doing 5 triples with 90% of my max again, but for bench this time instead of deadlift. 230 sounds like a lot more than 380....Idk how this is gonna go.
Literally I hate benching. Didn't even get a triple. Really gotta start eating and sleeping more.

sphinx

the piano man
Today I reached an important goal.

I did 100 unassisted Pull-ups

I have no recollection of doing that before, I stopped doing pyramids when I was at 9 cause I wanted to know what would be my level doing less and longer sets.

BumRush

Today I reached an important goal.

I did 100 unassisted Pull-ups

I have no recollection of doing that before, I stopped doing pyramids when I was at 9 cause I wanted to know what would be my level doing less and longer sets.

How long did it take you!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom