• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamerloid

Full Body
I recommend this one to all beginners, but furthermore, I recommend purchasing Starting Strength. A good guide on that program can be found here. It is one of the single greatest training resources out today. It combines science AND practice, and uses concepts that have been put into work with athletes since the 70's to help novices gained muscular bodyweight and increase strength.

Monday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Bench Press - 3 sets of 5
Deadlifts - 1 set of 5
Pull-Ups - 3 sets of 8-15

Wednesday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Overhead Press - 3 sets of 5
Power Cleans - 5 sets of 3
Abdominal work (Crunches on decline bench, Side bends with heavy weight, Hanging Leg Raises, Ab roll wheel are a few suggestions)

Friday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Deadlift - 1 set of 5
Bent Over Rows - 3 set of 5
Arm work, if desired (Barbell or Dumbbell Curls, Lying Tricep Extension, Dips, Cable Pulldown are a few suggestions)
Is it possible to converge this into two days (Tuesday and Thursday)?

despire

Is it possible to converge this into two days (Tuesday and Thursday)?

Yes. For example:

A:
Squat
Bench
Deadlift
Pull-up
Etc.

B:
Squat
Press
Power Clean or Deadlift
Rows
Etc.

Or something similar. Just drop one day but keep all the exercises. Go every 3-4 days if possible.

Or if the former seems too much:

A:
Squat
Bench
Pull-up/Row
Arm work

B:
Squat
Press
Deadlift
Arm work

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, got my new meal plan all figured out. Only calculated any ingredient over 20 calories, so just the major stuff is in there.

http://pastebin.com/Hnirwu1q

All info taken from USDA search engine with detailed as heck info. tldr:

Chicken Shawarma + 1/4 Ice Cream Totals:
1954 calories
148.765g protein
140.83g fat
18.05g net carbs
1279.25mg mag
2137.5mg potas
814mg sodium

I'll need to see how much potas and sodium and mag i'l need to add to my waters everyday to hit the suggested totals. Calorie wise, should be at right around 2k calories when including spices and coffee, etc. And i'll be eating damn good.

Just checked the numbers, and i'm 4k mg of salt low, way good on everything else. So i'll be adding more salt to the food and some of my water here and there i guess to make up for it. Otherwise tho i'm pretty spot on.

Did you already post how to make these? I'd love a good batch-prep chicken shawarma recipe (the ice cream is intriguing too)

ILoveBish

Did you already post how to make these? I'd love a good batch-prep chicken shawarma recipe (the ice cream is intriguing too)

Not yet. I'm making the chicken shawarma this Sunday as a test run to see if the amount of tahini sauce is too much. Then I'll adjust again if needed. The ice cream is here:

http://gpinzone.blogspot.com/2014/07/low-carb-sweet-cream-bases.html

I do the Ben & Jerry’s “Whole Egg” Base, which is easy as heck to make. Just add flavoring you want to it.

Fox318

back of my calf has been hurting for a while after a leg focused workout. Not really a bad pain but didn't feel comfortable squatting.

Anyone have any advise bags or containers for meals? I'm not sure if I should invest and start cooking my meals for lunch and dinner (since I'm on the go so much) or if I should just get my meals from a Musclemaker grill near me.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah that's what I was trying to say haha.

when youre alone and want to go heavy. though. (y) but when you start to do lunges in there. you can get fucked LOL.

back of my calf has been hurting for a while after a leg focused workout. Not really a bad pain but didn't feel comfortable squatting.

Anyone have any advise bags or containers for meals? I'm not sure if I should invest and start cooking my meals for lunch and dinner (since I'm on the go so much) or if I should just get my meals from a Musclemaker grill near me.

did legs sunday. doms didn't kick in until tuesday morning.. today is legs again and trying to PR squat. RIP. also since starting IG i've been putting in more work. was getting too comfortable before.

J. Bravo

hi FitnessGAF, I'm looking to buy a row machine. can I get some advice on this please? any brand recommendations? anything I should be aware of? what's a good price point for these things? $2~300 enough for a decent one?
Iirc, brolic has a nice rowing machine. You might pm him.

Elbows and biceps are starting to get pretty sore benching. I might make next week a deload week and see how it goes. The fifth rep in the first set @ 285 killed me today.

We now have four squat racks and new movable benches. I bench in there now because our dedicated benches are fucking broken down and are garbage. I go at a time when there is rarely anyone using the squat racks anyways (6am) except for curling. I always rotate from bench to squat or squat to bench in the same day.

Faiz

I've been having some elbow tendon issues and looking to get a compression sleeve. Any recommendations on brands or even brands to avoid?

Funnily enough, I bench in my squat rack... but it's my home gym, so haters can fight me. :p

I do too, home gym as well - and it really is made to be dual use anyway with 1" spacing between the holes in the bench range.

ILoveBish

Great day again, deadlift with 5x325, 3x370 and 1x410. Eating now then 72 hour fast till 130pm Saturday. Bench tomorrow then 1s week is finished. Upped weight on all my accessories also. Felt so good.

Only down .2 on the scale. Weird.

mkenyon

Banned
I'm no monster!

Well, I have so many racks to choose from... I figure why not live dangerously now and again?
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight, *home* gym. For some reason, even though I read it before, I was imagining you were out of town frequently and were referring to the gym near your home as your "home gym".

I stayed up really late drinking last night. On a Weekday. And I only drink like maybe once a month. Mistakes.

At least I made it to the gym before then. :p

Oh man... did the full on Tabata protocol intervals on my turbo trainer then (All out for 30 secs, rest for 10 secs x 8). Took me 15 minutes after finishing to stop tasting blood. Can't stop coughing now either.

Every bit as bad as I remember. :(

ILoveBish

Oh man... did the full on Tabata protocol intervals on my turbo trainer then (All out for 30 secs, rest for 10 secs x 8). Took me 15 minutes after finishing to stop tasting blood. Can't stop coughing now either.

Every bit as bad as I remember. :(

I would rather be obese then go through that.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
A lot of practice. And making sure I'm tight head to toe. I get so tight that when I go high rep I often get a cramp in my quads when I do them. Other than that. I've built speed before using bands, but haven't in a long time.

As far as progress cycling between high reps and maximal weight seems to work best.

Thanks. I'll remember this when I move onto an intermediate program. And start focusing on more tightness. Until now I was just focusing on tightening the glutes.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
How do you choose your rep schemes for each wotkout, specifically OHP?

Simple answer is 5/3/1.

For accessories they don't matter, I do what I want.

sheeesh damn sir, beating that weight silly. you really aren't that far off man.

Not anything against cooter, but there's a huge difference between 560 and 600. Shit, there's a huge difference between 585 and 600.

The higher the number gets, the more the numbers mean and how far each little jump really is.

Iirc, brolic has a nice rowing machine. You might pm him.

Air dyne bike, not a rowing machine.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Not anything against cooter, but there's a huge difference between 560 and 600. Shit, there's a huge difference between 585 and 600.

The higher the number gets, the more the numbers mean and how far each little jump really is.
QFT

sphinx

the piano man

and the more exciting everything gets, imo :) right there where things start to appear off-limits, that's where things start getting interesting.

the thrill of lifting the next increment, getting near your goal each passing day,

and then when you can look back with nostalgia, that's nice too.

I still remember when I achieved 68.5 kgs 5x3 on BP, it had been weeks with half-assed reps and sometimes not even getting to the 5th rep, the day it happend I got choked up, I was happy. 68.5 is well under my 5RM these days, not special anymore, but somehow it has remained a nice memory, my "68.5 kg on BP "struggle., lol

I wonder what lifts with what numbers left a mark on you guys and for what reasons.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
So the sets of 10 are just warmup and cool down type sets?

Depends on where it lies. Usually a set of 10 is the last working set of the main work if I'm badass enough and the last set of 10 is probably a first set last.

and the more exciting everything gets, imo :) right there where things start to appear off-limits, that's where things start getting interesting.

the thrill of lifting the next increment, getting near your goal each passing day,

I still remember when I achieved 68.5 kgs 5x3 on BP, it had been weeks with half-assed reps and sometimes not even getting to the 5th rep, the day it happend I got choked up, I was happy. 68.5 is well under my 5RM these days, not special anymore, but somehow it has remained a nice memory, my "68.5 kg on BP "struggle., lol

I wonder what lifts with what numbers left a mark on you guys and for what reasons.

405 bench, 600 deadlift are my big ones for obvious reasons.

Cooter

50lb muscle up
525DL @175 (was also on my 35th)
370bp @185

Those are the 3 that first popped into my head.

BumRush

325 BP @ a little over 160 lbs for me a couple years ago.

P.s. I'm the biggest Cooter and Brolic fan on the Internet I think. Jesus Christ guys...

BumRush

Depends on where it lies. Usually a set of 10 is the last working set of the main work if I'm badass enough and the last set of 10 is probably a first set last

Okay, makes sense. It always strikes me as masochistic when you throw these sets of 10 in the middle to end of your lifts. Badass indeed.

Cooter

Thanks Bum. That over 2x bw bench is boss man! Didn't know you did that.

Unrelated kinda... Pumkin Pie Quest Bars: Yes, YEs, YES!

ILoveBish

Next year, once i start a recomp, i'll be adding a 5th day just for chest stuff. Going to really go in hard on chest, which is easily my weakest area. Will likely incorporate some pause presses as well as decline work which i stopped doing a long time ago.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

P.s. I'm the biggest Cooter and Brolic fan on the Internet I think. Jesus Christ guys...

Eh, it's unwarranted as far as I'm concerned. There's a lot of beasts here, yourself included as you just showed.

Okay, makes sense. It always strikes me as masochistic when you throw these sets of 10 in the middle to end of your lifts. Badass indeed.

It's how I cycle my training. I go up 5 then when I complete the 5th cycle I go back 3. Essentially back to cycle 2 and work up 5 more, then back 3 again. Repeat.

It essentially works up to higher percentages and higher training maxes month by month going from volume focus to intensity focus (maximal), then reverts back. So far I'm liking it. Definitely have to be able to check your ego though to revert back 3 cycles. But for me I know the purpose and theory well, so it's a non issue.

Thanks Bum. That over 2x bw bench is boss man! Didn't know you did that.

Unrelated kinda... Pumkin Pie Quest Bars: Yes, YEs, YES!

Can't wait for mine to arrive. If they are as good as word of mouth has been I'll order 3 more boxes.

BumRush

It's how I cycle my training. I go up 5 then when I complete the 5th cycle I go back 3. Essentially back to cycle 2 and work up 5 more, then back 3 again. Repeat.

It essentially works up to higher percentages and higher training maxes month by month going from volume focus to intensity focus (maximal), then reverts back. So far I'm liking it. Definitely have to be able to check your ego though to revert back 3 cycles. But for me I know the purpose and theory well, so it's a non issue.

Thanks for sharing, bud. Any time you want to pass along training tips, PLEASE do. Everyone in here is still learning and all of it helps.

Wulfric

Which program are you looking at? Maybe 531 would be good for you since it's faster than others and will allow you the time to do your conditioning.

Today I did the Full Body from the OP. To tell the truth, the deadlift was totally new to me.

Squat - 3 sets of 5
Deadlifts - 1 set of 5
Pull-Ups - 3 sets of 8

5/3/1 definitely seems more fast paced. Perhaps I could give it a go once I feel more comfortable lifting seriously. I still feel pretty new to this.

BumRush

Today I did the Full Body from the OP. To tell the truth, the deadlift was totally new to me.

5/3/1 definitely seems more fast paced. Perhaps I could give it a go once I feel more comfortable lifting seriously. I still feel pretty new to this.

Do yourself a favor...read the OP, watch a ton of videos, start very light, and enjoy the looooong and incredibly fruitful ride.

despire

What do you mean by fast paced? Progress on 5/3/1 is exrtremely slow compared to a beginner program.

sphinx

the piano man
405 bench, 600 deadlift are my big ones for obvious reasons.

50lb muscle up
525DL @175 (was also on my 35th)
370bp @185

mind is blown, awesome achievements, I know Brolic competes but Cooter's and Bumrush's numbers have also got to be around competition level right?

a 500lbs+ deadlift, damn... just thinking about how to come to terms with the grip for that makes me feel uneasy haha.

so how many years into training did these lifts happen? this is kind of an important question for me and others with only a couple of years lifting, cause reading it in a forum makes it seem like those numbers are around the corner up for the grabs with a little effort when truth is, it has to be a damn long way.

Bah, you Americans get all the good stuff. I very much doubt we'll ever see the Pumpkin bars over in Blighty.

I saw quest bars here in Germany a store already! things are improving. I think you can buy from their store, they do send worldwide, I haven't looked around for the pumpkin flavor though.

BumRush

mind is blown, awesome achievements, I know Brolic competes but Cooter's and Bumrush's numbers have also got to be around competition level right?

a 500lbs+ deadlift, damn... just thinking about how to come to terms with the grip for that makes me feel uneasy haha.

so how many years into training did these lifts happen? this is kind of an important question for me and others with only a couple of years lifting, cause reading it in a forum makes it seem like those numbers are around the corner up for the grabs with a little effort when truth is, it has to be a damn long way.

I can't speak for Brolic or Cooter but for me, I was able to achieve that goal about 5 years into lifting, with a heavy focus on chest for at least a year leading up. I'm naturally better at push lifts as is, but it was still a grind.

Edit: also, I highly doubt my number would have been competition ready. Cooter's DL though...yeah...he should take that baby for a spin.

Also, a 50 pound muscle up...lol, he's a cyborg.

TopDreg

FitGAF! I'm in Africa serving as a Peace Corps Volunteer for two years (the country which I don't feel comfortable disclosing until I leave). No weights. I get maybe one-third of a fish, some powdered milk, and three eggs for protein everyday (anything more is too expensive), a lot of yams and other carbs, and a lot of off-time when I'm not teaching.

Just wanted to say hi. FitGAF really helped me when I was doing Starting Strength. I'm on Convict Conditioning now, as bodyweight training seems to be the only option. We'll see how this goes!

Szu

FitGAF! I'm in Africa serving as a Peace Corps Volunteer for two years (the country which I don't feel comfortable disclosing until I leave). No weights. I get maybe one-third of a fish, some powdered milk, and three eggs for protein everyday (anything more is too expensive), a lot of yams and other carbs, and a lot of off-time when I'm not teaching.

Just wanted to say hi. FitGAF really helped me when I was doing Starting Strength. I'm on Convict Conditioning now, as bodyweight training seems to be the only option. We'll see how this goes!

Hello, welcome.

I saw quest bars here in Germany a store already! things are improving. I think you can buy from their store, they do send worldwide, I haven't looked around for the pumpkin flavor though.
I buy them on Amazon (though they cost about twice as much as they do in the US). We never get the limited edition flavours though.

Edit - Actually, one of these days I'm going to find a way to order in bulk from the US. Even with the shipping it would end up cheaper.

BumRush

Hello and best of luck. A lot of people come in here asking about bodyweight exercises, so maybe you could give a review of that program when it's done.

D

Deleted member 529084

Unconfirmed Member
Insane..

4 weeks ago I was 136lbs.

I drink a quart of milk (little under a gallon per day) with every meal..

I just stepped on the scale and I'm 151 today.

I eat normally, hit the gym and lift heavy twice a week, and added the milk...I've never ever been able to break 145lbs!

BumRush

I buy them on Amazon (though they cost about twice as much as they do in the US). We never get the limited edition flavours though.

Edit - Actually, one of these days I'm going to find a way to order in bulk from the US. Even with the shipping it would end up cheaper.

How much would it be for me to ship it to you? I'd gladly do that if it saves you money.

Any particular reason you want to put on weight that fast? You're not going to be able to gain more than about half a lb of muscle a week (unless you're geared, in which case ignore me) so the rest is just going to end up being water and fat.

How much would it be for me to ship it to you? I'd gladly do that if it saves you money.

I'll have to have a look at some point, and cheers for the offer. :)

SeanR1221

That happens to me. One thing I remember is that the body is a biological system--hormone levels, stress, sleep, infections (bacterial/viral), etc., all can play a role with performance.

Even things like seasonal changes can have an effect.

Deloads help.

Sounds like you need a week or so off from all lifting

Stress, maybe? If not then maybe just take a week off, do what you love, then get back in with a fresh head.

Thanks guys. I think you're all right. I'd be lying if I said there wasn't a lot of personal issues/stress going on right now too. I constantly feel tired and unmotivated. Gotta get out of this funk. I think being active again here definitely helps with that.

BumRush

Thanks guys. I think you're all right. I'd be lying if I said there wasn't a lot of personal issues/stress going on right now too. I constantly feel tired and unmotivated. Gotta get out of this funk. I think being active again here definitely helps with that.

I've found that too, dude. Just posting in here, reading in here, etc. helps me not want to skip the gym. Good luck with your personal stuff, man. Always here if you need to PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom