• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i don't know how to use a phone to record myself. i take longer setting up than working out and i take forever just to work out fml. i was going to take a rest day but all those glorious pictures on IG got me all pumped up. (y)

Szu

Insane..

4 weeks ago I was 136lbs.

I drink a quart of milk (little under a gallon per day) with every meal..

I just stepped on the scale and I'm 151 today.

I eat normally, hit the gym and lift heavy twice a week, and added the milk...I've never ever been able to break 145lbs!

Woah.

FluffyPeacefulHochstettersfrog.gif

BumRush

And with that (it feels like it's 40 degrees here today), summer "cut" season is at an end. Let's up those calories, boys!

Soooooooon.....

Maintenance next week before my 24hr event and then it's bulk time. I'm fairly happy with how I look, but I wont be going super low body fat again as it just makes the loose skin look bad.

Dadbod from now on. \o/

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I'm not bulking this winter and I may be done forever. Cutting down from the high point of a bulk is draining mentally and physically plus I always feel uncomfortable with how I look in a bulked up body.

However, go get those gainz boys!

UrAvgGuy

Will be a slow bulk for me. Managed to hit 160 and stay around there for the summer. Will probably get back up to 180 (or more depending on how its looking).

I'm not bulking this winter and I may be done forever. Cutting down from the high point of a bulk is draining mentally and physically plus I always feel uncomfortable with how I look in a bulked up body.

I am utterly convinced for me anyway, that the days of a hard bulk is over. Sure I will eat more but never get it out of control. I want my "max" to be 15 lbs away from a sexy summer body. Maybe 20 lbs from single digit body fat.

Hover around 10-15% bodyfat year round. For my specific goals, I don't need to be any higher/lower.

BumRush

I probably didn't write it on here but i lost 20 pounds (!!!) in the 6 weeks since i had strep and just couldn't lift. 20 pounds. I was back down to 164 a couple of weeks ago. The bulk is more getting back to where I was a few months ago.

Cooter

I am utterly convinced for me anyway, that the days of a hard bulk is over. Sure I will eat more but never get it out of control. I want my "max" to be 15 lbs away from a sexy summer body. Maybe 20 lbs from single digit body fat.

Hover around 10-15% bodyfat year round. For my specific goals, I don't need to be any higher/lower.

I think if I ever do need a period of prolonged calorie surplus eating I'll go this route also. Sounds like a solid plan FE. You and I pack on weight so effortlessly it's easy to suddenly look down at the scale after a month or 2 and be up 30 pounds.

I probably didn't write it on here but i lost 20 pounds (!!!) in the 6 weeks since i had strep and just couldn't lift. 20 pounds. I was back down to 164 a couple of weeks ago. The bulk is more getting back to where I was a few months ago.

Wow dude! Twenty pounds in 6 weeks? Based on your pics you didn't have 20 to lose.

mdsfx

So I just signed up my whole family for a little 5K and kids dash this weekend at a local Arboretum. Pinning race bibs on my kids will be pretty awesome lol

Also signed my 4-year-old son up for a deadlifting competition
No I didn't

mdsfx

I'm only going up about 15lbs as any more will massively affect my cycling ability.
Speaking of which, you have been my motivation for cycling a lot lately. Given I'm only on a stationary recumbent, but I did 70 minutes today at about 150BPM. It calculated it as 20 miles and 1,500 calories *cough*bullshit*cough*. Pretty sure I could do that at 160. Next time! >)

Cooter

So I just signed up my whole family for a little 5K and kids dash this weekend at a local Arboretum. Pinning race bibs on my kids will be pretty awesome lol

Also signed my 4-year-old son up for a deadlifting competition
No I didn't
I hope you don't live anywhere close to Brolic and he has to compete against his son. Genetics and all...

BumRush

Wow dude! Twenty pounds in 6 weeks? Based on your pics you didn't have 20 to lose.

A good portion of it was muscle...unfortunately. I couldn't keep down food, and my throat hurt so bad I didn't want to eat anyway, i didn't hit the gym, etc. That plus work stress and my body just deflated. Now that I have the new job and I'm feeling great I'll be back soon.

J. Bravo

i don't know how to use a phone to record myself. i take longer setting up than working out and i take forever just to work out fml. i was going to take a rest day but all those glorious pictures on IG got me all pumped up. (y)

I put a stack of plates on a stool and prop the phone up then hit record. Or you coudl ask someoen.

Speaking of which, you have been my motivation for cycling a lot lately. Given I'm only on a stationary recumbent, but I did 70 minutes today at about 150BPM. It calculated it as 20 miles and 1,500 calories *cough*bullshit*cough*. Pretty sure I could do that at 160. Next time! >)

Fair play, 70 mins at 150 isn't messing around. What's your max HR?

BumRush

Dude, that's really good.

I think if I ever do need a period of prolonged calorie surplus eating I'll go this route also. Sounds like a solid plan FE. You and I pack on weight so effortlessly it's easy to suddenly look down at the scale after a month or 2 and be up 30 pounds.

tumblr_ns47czxOfL1sdqajoo1_400.gif

me and you baybay

mdsfx

Fair play, 70 mins at 150 isn't messing around. What's your max HR?
I think only 155-160 at certain times, but this wasn't a series of sprints. Just a continues "medium" effort

Edit: I may have misunderstood. When I run vigorously I hit 180-185.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Well think I may have tweaked my lower back the other day doing deadlifts. Felt some slight discomfort all day yesterday and still feeling it today. Today was going to be bench day but going to put off any workouts until I feel normal. Also first time I may have somewhat injured myself lifting.

Cooter

A good portion of it was muscle...unfortunately. I couldn't keep down food, and my throat hurt so bad I didn't want to eat anyway, i didn't hit the gym, etc. That plus work stress and my body just deflated. Now that I have the new job and I'm feeling great I'll be back soon.
Be back in no time. New job. New money. Eat one box of Pumkin Pie Quest Bars per day!

188 according this

So yeah, you're right, you could definitely do 160. With time (and agony), that could go as high as 175-180... but you really wouldn't enjoy the experience (and I'm talking about years of training).

My best ever was 90% max for just under three hours... but I made myself feel very ill.

mdsfx

So yeah, you're right, you could definitely do 160. With time (and agony), that could go as high as 175-180... but you really wouldn't enjoy the experience (and I'm talking about years of training).

My best ever was 90% max for just under three hours... but I made myself feel very ill.
Jesus lol. That's... Brutal

ILoveBish

Great day. Down 1.6lbs, bench 1s week and got 5x185, 3x210 and 1x230. Then did a 10x160. Increased weight on all accessories and hit every rep on those also. It's been 24 hours into my fast now as well, so Saturday 130pm I'll break the fast again. That's another 531 session completed successfully.

BumRush

Great day. Down 1.6lbs, bench 1s week and got 5x185, 3x210 and 1x230. Then did a 10x160. Increased weight on all accessories and hit every rep on those also. It's been 24 hours into my fast now as well, so Saturday 130pm I'll break the fast again. That's another 531 session completed successfully.

Nice work as always, Bish. Keep it up.

JoeNut

Any sups I can take to stop the aching after leg day? I don't really mind anywhere else but I hate walking like I've been abused for 2 days a week

BumRush

Any sups I can take to stop the aching after leg day? I don't really mind anywhere else but I hate walking like I've been abused for 2 days a week

Eat more post-workout, stretch / foam roll, stay hydrated...that's the best advice I can give you.

entremet

You're probably not working them out frequently enough.

I feel soreness tends to come for those that don't do enough volume to adapt.

Legs can take a beating. Don't worry about adding an extra day. Maybe one day back squats and another day front squat/deadlifts/Romanian deadlifts/cleans.

I squat 3x per week and run 3x per week and I'm rarely sore.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Bros.....

485lbs x 10. And 505+85lb chains x3

https://youtu.be/NNVcDPOLEtA

I can't speak for Brolic or Cooter but for me, I was able to achieve that goal about 5 years into lifting, with a heavy focus on chest for at least a year leading up. I'm naturally better at push lifts as is, but it was still a grind.

Edit: also, I highly doubt my number would have been competition ready. Cooter's DL though...yeah...he should take that baby for a spin.

Also, a 50 pound muscle up...lol, he's a cyborg.

Been training since 2009, so around 5-6 years for me as well.

BumRush

Brolic. What?? Holy shit. Volume work...

Also, you're looking more muscular than ever man. I know you don't care too much for aesthetics but it looks good!

mdsfx

Why does my back hurt like hell all of the sudden? OH, I was watching a Brolic video.
Holy m#%$@%&

BumRush

Brolic, that honestly might be the most impressive video you've ever posted on here. 485 looks like it's just the bar in that video. Speechless.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
lolwtf

You should probably throw some tins of paint on there for good measure.

Brolic. What?? Holy shit. Volume work...

Also, you're looking more muscular than ever man. I know you don't care too much for aesthetics but it looks good!

485x10. El Oh El

Fucking animal.

Why does my back hurt like hell all of the sudden? OH, I was watching a Brolic video.
Holy m#%$@%&

Dayum.

Truly a legend.

Brolic, that honestly might be the most impressive video you've ever posted on here. 485 looks like it's just the bar in that video. Speechless.

Lol, thanks guys. And Bum I agree, it is absolutely the most impressive video. If you do the "math" this indicates I'm capable of a 650lb deadlift 3 months out from the competition.

Here's hoping I keep this pace up.

Szu

Damn it, Brolic videos are so boring now. Every time, you look like you're just sleeping your way through the workout. :p

It's still awesome.

BumRush

Lol, thanks guys. And Bum I agree, it is absolutely the most impressive video. If you do the "math" this indicates I'm capable of a 650lb deadlift 3 months out from the competition.

Here's hoping I keep this pace up.

Keep at it man...truly incredible work you're doing. And for me personally, I was going to skip tonight but after watching the video, fuck it...I can spare 45 minutes. Thank you.

Also, can we throw that video in the OP, please??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom